• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescind?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Hey all,
I have until midnight tonight to rescind my new retail at Kohala Suites. We have two Blvd resales worth 16,000 (new points) gold points and Tuscany retail at 8,000 gold points. When we went to the "owners" meeting, they offered us $45k for the two Blvds (we paid $6k) toward a 2 bedroom premier at Kohala Suites at $70k that would have 15,360 platinum points so we would have 23,360 total. So, I would be paying $25k to move our 16,000 gold resale points to 15,360 platinum retail points, get Max, and Preferred + (Elite). The MFs are a little less for the Kohala versus two Blvds.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Blvd 8k pts gold are worth keeping in terms of MFpp. They're not the best but they're still okay.

Tuscany 8k pts gold isn't worth keeping in terms of MFpp. Okay to keep for now but whenever you surpass your target annual points, you should sell it for $500 or so, or give away for free.

$25k is a ton of money, and you could buy 4 units, 11,200 pts each, in Scotland, and cover current year's MF! (My Coylumbridge 11,200 pts cost $5,433.25, and $904.59 MF)

Note 1: USD to GBP exchange is subject to changes. There's no guarantee this best MFpp won't become the worst MFpp in 5 years from now. That's why it makes a lot of sense to diversify your deeds. Have some Scotland deeds, some Vegas, some Orlando maybe.

Note 2: This is the timeline when acquiring from Scotland:

Agreement signed by me: 2/3
Agreement signed by them: 2/6
Money paid: 2/24 (by law, must wait 2 weeks before they can accept money)
Points available to use: 3/2

I hope a two week delay between the agreement and the payment doesn't work against you. Nobody know if it will - but all I can say is HGVC sees 2/6 as the purchase date of my deed, so that's a good sign.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blvd 8k pts gold are worth keeping in terms of MFpp. They're not the best but they're still okay.

Tuscany 8k pts gold isn't worth keeping in terms of MFpp. Okay to keep for now but whenever you surpass your target annual points, you should sell it for $500 or so, or give away for free.

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Of your options, paying $25k to upgrade to retail and Max is the one I wouldn't do. Too many unknowns; $25k is a lot of dough. I'm like you, I just have a couple resale deeds and am frankly just going to wait and see before doing anything at all. I might buy a bHC for use at that location, but I wouldn't be a buyer of more points for general use until the air has cleared.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to add. I like Kohala and the access to Kingsland and Hilton but our next trip will be to a different island so we wouldn't stay there anyway anytime soon therefore the Home Week advantage wouldn't do much for us.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the only downside is having more MFs..for 5 properties
You pay it in bulk on the same date anyway (except Scotland, where you pay by phone if you want 14x on Amex Aspire). What matters is the total points and the total charge - so MFpp again! :)

WORLD TRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option would be to recend your recent upgrade and then purchase enough Scotland resale to achieve Elite Premier by purchasing Summer Weeks which would be easier to resell in the future if needed. Hopefully the Scotland resale office can give you assurance that your purchases would grant you the Elite Premier designation. You may still need to purchase the Max Program separately if Scotland isn't authorized to add the Max Program.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You pay it in bulk on the same date anyway (except Scotland, where you pay by phone if you want 14x on Amex Aspire). What matters is the total points and the total charge - so MFpp again! :)

Understood. But points aren't all the same when comes to Elite and maybe Max but we will see about that at some point.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another option would be to recend your recent upgrade and then purchase enough Scotland resale to achieve Elite Premier by purchasing Summer Weeks which would be easier to resell in the future if needed. Hopefully the Scotland resale office can give you assurance that your purchases would grant you the Elite Premier designation. You may still need to purchase the Max Program separately if Scotland isn't authorized to add the Max Program.

Last edited:

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kohala (...) Home Week advantage

What unit and time of the year are you looking to book at Kohala? Big Island units aren't like Captiva/Marco where walking is almost impossible given how flex weeks work at these affiliated resorts. You can easily walk Big Island. I was able to book Kings Land 2 BR for Christmas and NYE no problem - and snagged the lowest priced "BR2" (11,200/week and not the more expensive "2BR"). Just walking the check-in date for 2 weeks, and then adding more days for another week. I also remember seeing Kings any-BR2 fill up faster than Kohala as I walked my KL. So this is also a factor in deciding whether to keep Kohala or not.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What unit and time of the year are you looking to book at Kohala? Big Island units aren't like Captiva/Marco where walking is almost impossible given how flex weeks work at these affiliated resorts. You can easily walk Big Island. I was able to book Kings Land 2 BR for Christmas and NYE no problem - and snagged the lowest priced "BR2" (11,200/week and not the more expensive "2BR"). Just walking the check-in date for 2 weeks, and then adding more days for another week. I also remember seeing Kings any-BR2 fill up faster than Kohala as I walked my KL. So this is also a factor in deciding whether to keep Kohala or not.

We just returned from Bay Club, last night, and booked it easily. BTW, we had the villa and it was great...about 2,000 sq ft including the lanai so definitely good for a family but only Elites, who stay at Bay Club or Kohola, get access to Kingsland and only people staying at Kingsland get access to the Hilton pool without paying for it. We don't have any dates in mind and would go to another island next time. The Big Island was fun but I am not sure about going back. It is a long way to fly from the east coast for lava fields...:)

The room that we had was a platinum 2 bedroom premier. Actually, I just faxed the rescission and my wife is mailing a certified letter so that will be done soon. I guess the advantage to being, at least, Elite Premier is the option for room upgrades and places like Kohala, there are 3 options for rooms; standard, plus, and premier but other places don't have those levels so it wouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Does Bay Club get access to Kingland because of Elite Premier or because of Kohala ownership? If Elite does the lowest level elite work for Bay Club Access to Kingsland?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does Bay Club get access to Kingland because of Elite Premier or because of Kohala ownership? If Elite does the lowest level elite work for Bay Club Access to Kingsland?

Any level of Elite membership while staying at Bay Club or Kohala gives you access to the Kingsland amenities.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
That's great. I always wanted to stay at Bay Club but my kids enjoy the Kingsland pools. Does Elite also give access to the OT resort pools? (I know Kohala and Kingsland do without elite) wondering if Elite works for Bay Club access.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's great. I always wanted to stay at Bay Club but my kids enjoy the Kingsland pools. Does Elite also give access to the OT resort pools? (I know Kohala and Kingsland do without elite) wondering if Elite works for Bay Club access.

nope. You have to buy ($50) them and you get up to 4 passes.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It all depends what your goals are. As already stated by @Nowaker, you are spending $25K for what? You are getting less points and about the same MFs. You should be able to get AI (plus) and HGVMax (I don't personally put this as being worth too much) and first elite status level (also not worth much, IMO). So is AI and HGVMax worth $25K to you?

Like you already said (and it is true), you don't need Home Week booking advantage for Kohala Suites.

Those are my thoughts but it is your decision.

MickeyBlue

Reaction score
Thoughts?

Glad you recinded.

Just as a side note, guess all the speculation about hgvc resale owners not being grandfathered & being allowed to buy into HGV Max is obviously false

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND while you still can. You can go back and repeat the same purchase anytime you want, but you only get a limited time to rescind forever............

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
So time would be of the essence if you would like to add the Scotland properties to your portfolio this week to achieve Elite Premier.
Do we trust this Andrew cat or is he just another sales guy?