• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting my unlimited getaway weeks (2010 thread)

stmead

Reaction score
I'm a timeshare newbie and would like to rent some of my getaway weeks. I have been contacted by Global Resort Management and just today My Referral Network. They both want up front fees and from everything I have read that is a no no. Don't you have to spend money to make money? They talk a real good game. The thing I liked about My Referral Network is the fees they are talking about is what it costs me to rent the unit with my getaway setup. The getaways is what sold me when purchasing the unit. If I rent the unit for 1200 and my cost is say 300 then that is a net of 900. If what they say is true. The other thing that sold me on the whole timeshare thing was that I did buy at Disney and Disney isn't going anywhere so I thought it would be a hot area because everything is about location.
I'm just looking for some kind of feedback before I jump all in. I have these unlimited getaway weeks so I might as well make some money with them.
Comments will be greatly appreciated.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are these getaway weeks with an exchange company (II or RCI)? If so you can't rent them or you risk losing your weeks and your membership.

Getaway weeks with your resort? I wouldn't pay anyone an upfront fee! There is lots of info on here about renting timeshare weeks you own. Join TUG, spend some time searching and reading before you try the rental game.

Welcome to TUG!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

As LAX mom stated - renting getaways is forbidden by the exchange companies and a recent poster just lost his Acct. and all the fees he paid when he got caught doing it.

More info. about Global Resort Management - not good....

lmarsh

Reaction score
Your weeks!! Why not?

[Deleted - duplicate posts - probably from a shill for this company. DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
lmarsh, you'll have to post a lot more around here before I believe you're anything but an employee of Referral Network Marketing, given your first two posts are identical endorsements of their product.

Renting getaway weeks will get you one thing: terminated from RCI or II. It's just a matter of time before they catch anyone doing it.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
[Your weeks!! Why not?

Why not? Because it violated the RCI membership rules and you can lose your membership, your deposits, your exchanges, your Getaways, and the rent paid for your Getaways.

Don't be fooled by this shill - not only did they not rent their deposited weeks with this company, but it is not allowed by RCI - once you deposit a week with RCI, it is not "your week."

svnglvs

Reaction score
Global Resort Management

Do not sign on with Global Resort Management. They are all talk and no action. Once you sign on, you will not be able to talk to your sales representative. I learned the hard way. I signed up three of my Hawaii resorts. In the past few years, they have not contacted me once about any interested parties. That's hard to believe considering Hawaii is very much in demand. I've left numerous messages and have never gotten a return phone call. Save yourself the trouble, frustration, and money. Don't sign up with any of these companies. Rent it out yourself.

ramonv

Reaction score
I just got a call

From International Timeshare Exchange.

I have a Starwood Property, and they said I have 4 Getaway weeks through Interval that I can rent out.

Is this true? or a scam?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have a Starwood Property, and they said I have 4 Getaway weeks through Interval that I can rent out.

Is this true? or a scam?

-You do not "have" 4 Getaway Weeks - Getaways are rentals that you must pay Interval for upfront.

-It's a scam - Interval does not permit you to rent Getaways or Exchanges - period.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scam concerning RCI Unlimited Getaway Weeks...

I'm a timeshare newbie and would like to rent some of my getaway weeks. I have been contacted by Global Resort Management and just today My Referral Network. They both want up front fees and from everything I have read that is a no no. Don't you have to spend money to make money? They talk a real good game. The thing I liked about My Referral Network is the fees they are talking about is what it costs me to rent the unit with my getaway setup. The getaways is what sold me when purchasing the unit. If I rent the unit for 1200 and my cost is say 300 then that is a net of 900. If what they say is true. The other thing that sold me on the whole timeshare thing was that I did buy at Disney and Disney isn't going anywhere so I thought it would be a hot area because everything is about location.
I'm just looking for some kind of feedback before I jump all in. I have these unlimited getaway weeks so I might as well make some money with them.
Comments will be greatly appreciated.

SCAM! I've been contacted too. I listened to them and asked pointed questions, which they wouldn't or couldn't answer. You would have to pay them first and you wouldn't get anything in return.

I don't think RCI is behind this, but somehow these peoplel have access RCI's database and members information.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Is this true? or a scam?

International Timeshare Exchange is a member of ARDA. However, according to ARDA they recently became aware of this company's "activities." That was 11/27/12. When I questioned recently via e-mail why International Timeshare Exchange was still listed as a member the reply I got was "it's a process."

Here are some threads on this company:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183026

and

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130812

I still wonder what kind of vetting ARDA does that would allow a company like this to become a member. In the meantime, this company proudly lists on their website their membership in ARDA. I just hope that no one does business with them thinking that they are legit just because of their membership.

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! The II and RCI get-a-way and bonus week rental scammers are working OT this week!

OP, think about it II has about 2 million members and RCI about 4 million. If one could reserve for say $300 and legally rent for a thousand plus why not everyone go for it?

Also, this is mostly leftovers that one would be hard pressed to rent for a $1,200. Look at what you can rent for less than $700 here.

Who are your customers?

ramonv

Reaction score
Thank you.

I was stupid, and gave them my cc info. But then I realized it seemed to good to be true. Luckily, it was a brand new credit card, so I just called and closed the account, after explaining what happened.
PS: Go Giants!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since when is it against the rules of II to pay the GUEST RECEIPT FEE. and let someone else stay in your unit for money? I asked II personally if I can book a week for my neighbor and they just told me to make sure I put the guest receipt in his name. Frankly it is no ones business what I get in return. Period. :cool:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since when is it against the rules of II to pay the GUEST RECEIPT FEE. and let someone else stay in your unit for money? I asked II personally if I can book a week for my neighbor and they just told me to make sure I put the guest receipt in his name. Frankly it is no ones business what I get in return. Period. :cool:

That may be your opinion, but when you registered with II, you agreed to abide by their rules. If you get caught renting, II can and will close your account and confiscate your deposits, exchange, and all fees paid. If that happens, your renters will be turned away when they try to check-in. At that point, your opinion won't make any difference...

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly it is no ones business what I get in return. Period. :cool:

You would be incorrect.

It is not against the rules for you to buy a guest certificate, that is what they are there for. But it is against the rules to receive even one penny for it. You agreed to these rules when you joined II, and each and every time you perform a transaction, like buying a guest certificate. The terms are there and you agree to them whether you ignored them or not. Not reading them is your fault. You do not own an Interval reservation, you just have a right to use.

Occasional family members or friends paying you back, while technically against the rules, is likely ok. The strict rules are in place to prevent people from selling on the open market. The legal language cannot be grey.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

I can tell you from personal experience that II can and will suspend your membership and cancel the exchanges/Getaways if your found to be renting them.
As the above posters said, your agreed to Membership Terms and Conditions when you joined II. I would recommend becoming more famliar with the rules of membership so to avoid any problems.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are a broker or travel agent, both II and RCI have programs that will allow you to rent their inventory.

II provide me with getaway certificates that I could offer to whomever I wanted for a fee. I didn't use any of them and let them expire.

RCI will provide you with lists of inventory and access to a website. I don't know if it is the same as exchange inventory. I don't think it is.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that II can and will suspend your membership and cancel the exchanges/Getaways if your found to be renting them.
As the above posters said, your agreed to Membership Terms and Conditions when you joined II. I would recommend becoming more famliar with the rules of membership so to avoid any problems.

Your II account was suspended when you got caught renting exchanges/getaways?

How did they catch you?

Reaction score
Exactly, how did they catch you. They are not the FBI. They're are not aloud to pry into your personal life. And we as users control this program. If I did not pay my fee along with the next then they would not exist. By the way, you say if a friend or family member pays you back then its is OK. That is your opinion. You said it is against rules to receive even a penny. I do believe that getaway weeks are more than a penny. You guys on here act as if you are the Timeshare Gods. You are all full of yourselves. I think you are the kind of people that would report someone for renting getaway weeks just to make yourself feel good. You are not the timeshare police. While your opinions are hat this board is about. Some of you guys sound very very bitter. Sounds to me like you guys need to take a darn vacation, once in a while. :rofl:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exactly, how did they catch you. They are not the FBI. They're are not aloud to pry into your personal life. And we as users control this program. If I did not pay my fee along with the next then they would not exist. By the way, you say if a friend or family member pays you back then its is OK. That is your opinion. You said it is against rules to receive even a penny. I do believe that getaway weeks are more than a penny. You guys on here act as if you are the Timeshare Gods. You are all full of yourselves. I think you are the kind of people that would report someone for renting getaway weeks just to make yourself feel good. You are not the timeshare police. While your opinions are hat this board is about. Some of you guys sound very very bitter. Sounds to me like you guys need to take a darn vacation, once in a while. :rofl:

I'm sorry that the facts don't support your opinions, but that is no excuse for rudeness. If you can't be civil, then don't post on TUG.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your II account was suspended when you got caught renting exchanges/getaways?

How did they catch you?

Several years ago I logged into my II account and there was a message that my account couldnt be accessed with a number to call. I was told that my membership was suspended and my current exchange to a DVC resort was being held for possible cancelation because I was suspected of renting exchanges on Ebay.

I explained to the rep that I wasnt renting exchanges and I didnt have anything on Ebay. The DVC exchange was for my family and no Guest Certificate was purchased. After talking to several supervisors and having to contact the former II supervisor who used to participate here on TUG for advice on who to contact, it was straightened out and my account returned to normal.

I never really got a definite answer as to why they suspected I was renting exchanges.

The people I spoke to told me that II actively looks for and follows up when people are reported to be renting exchanges.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is clear that all of this is way over your head. Go to school and learn a thing or two about the basics before trying to debate civil agreement issues.

Good luck :wave:

Reaction score
Learn to debate? I just made some very valid points and not one of you wanted to respond. I don't think you know what to say. That is why your response is a deflecting one. Do not call your response a debate. Debates do not go like this, " Timeshare in my opinion is good" -----Response, " you are a dummie". That is not debating. That is not knowing a response so deflecting the question with an insult.
Sincerely,
VacationAllIEverWanted :whoopie:

Reaction score
Oh and I do not see again how it is OK in your opinion to get money to pay you back for a getaway but not OK to rent. What is the LEGAL difference in receiving $250(cost of getaway) and $1400. There is 0-ZERO legal difference. It is only your opinion, which is not the rules. Sorry. :whoopie: