• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting my unlimited getaway weeks (2010 thread)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is no debate - it's against the rules to rent an exchange or getaway - period. That has been documented here beyond any doubt. So debate away, but that doesn't change the facts.

As far as insults, you opened that door with this comment: You guys on here act as if you are the Timeshare Gods. You are all full of yourselves.

Until that point, the thread was very factual and civil.

The other poster is poking fun at you because you used faulty logic, and the wrong word:

aloud = out loud

allowed = permitted

I don't know what you expected - you are a new guest here, yet you already "know it all" and start off by insulting people - that's not the way to get off to a good start, on a new forum.

*Personally, I don't care if someone rents their exchange or not - but I do think that both owners and renter's need to be aware of the ramifications, to make an informed choice.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh and I do not see again how it is OK in your opinion to get money to pay you back for a getaway but not OK to rent. What is the LEGAL difference in receiving $250(cost of getaway) and $1400. There is 0-ZERO legal difference. It is only your opinion, which is not the rules. Sorry. :whoopie:

Your opinion doesnt matter. What matters is the agreement you entered into when you became a member of II and when you purchased a Guest Certificate. Each Guest Certificate has terms which list that rental is prohibited.

As Denise said, there is no debate here. Your way late to the party, are completely wrong, and have no idea what you are talking about.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Oh and I do not see again how it is OK in your opinion to get money to pay you back for a getaway but not OK to rent. What is the LEGAL difference in receiving $250(cost of getaway) and $1400. There is 0-ZERO legal difference. It is only your opinion, which is not the rules. Sorry. :whoopie:

First time posters who search out and revive months old threads are also suspected of being a shill. Obviously you WANT people to believe that they can rent out getaways even though it is clearly against WRITTEN rules of II and RCI. That is EXACTLY what these scam companies want people to believe too - so they can steal their money.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
First time posters who search out and revive months old threads are also suspected of being a shill. Obviously you WANT people to believe that they can rent out getaways even though it is clearly against WRITTEN rules of II and RCI. That is EXACTLY what these scam companies want people to believe too - so they can steal their money.

Hmmmm....you may be onto something here! ;)

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

when I bought my timeshare, The notary woman, told us in prívate that we were Lucky, that our property came with an extensión with UNLIMITED getaways on interval, that they don't do unlimited getaways anymore because people were renting them as travel agencies but My contract or property was SPECIAL because it was made prior they stopped The unlimited getaways...

Any advice Of how can I check this? Or Who could offer me help with this? I want to legaly use that benefit

Thank you for your help

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

when I bought my timeshare, The notary woman, told us in prívate that we were Lucky, that our property came with an extensión with UNLIMITED getaways on interval, that they don't do unlimited getaways anymore because people were renting them as travel agencies but My contract or property was SPECIAL because it was made prior they stopped The unlimited getaways...

Any advice Of how can I check this? Or Who could offer me help with this? I want to legaly use that benefit

Thank you for your help

In short, you were lied to. I'm assuming that lying notary person was in house and an admin of the sales team.

Everyone has unlimited access to getaways. It has nothing to do with what you purchased. All you need is an II account which anyone with an II affiliated unit can get.

If you load up on 50 getaways II will look at what you are doing to determine if you are selling. Nobody has a legal right to resell, including your purchase. If you really are booking 50 getaways in a year for personal reasons anyone can do it all day long. There are no written restrictions on the number except for certain resorts and systems have a limit to the number of concurrent getaways.

Lastly, the good getaways aren't cheap. Many of the better resorts and weeks will rival rental prices.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Any advice Of how can I check this? Or Who could offer me help with this? I want to legaly use that benefit.

Sure --- read carefully through your original contract. Look for any unique "special benefits" expressed in writing somewhere in that contract.
Do not be surprised when you do not actually find any such references.

If you do not find any "special benefits" described in writing within your contract, then either they are not "special" at all and are available to everyone, or they do not even exist at all. The "notary woman" was a company employee, making you comfortable, happy and ready to "sign on the dotted line". However, any verbal statements were not legally binding, just meaningless noise. The contract will even clearly state in writing that oral representations not also reflected within the contract are not valid or legally binding. The sales team knows that they can just lie and misrepresent and exaggerate and they consistently do so. They only care about making the sale; accurate facts don't matter to them at all.

Was this at Westgate? This certainly would not be the first "nice notary lady" story I've heard regarding Westgate developer-direct closings.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a very nice notary lady (independent closing agent, as they call it!) at Westgate tell us how special our contract was too! Told us all about the exclusive unlimited getaways, and how easy it was to turn a profit renting out our unit, and how the unit value was only going to go up, up, up as they kept adding more amenities like horseback riding and putt-putt, and a zip line to the property! And how easy it would be to re-sell our interval later because Westgate had this great Right of First Sale benefits and would always buy back units for at least what we paid for them!!!

Luckily I found TUG the next day and rescinded the contract because these are all a bunch of TOTAL LIES! Its crazy the stuff they spew isn't illegal, but hey a sucker born every minute right?!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

I want to legaly use that benefit

Hopefully I'm not too late to say this but, if it hasn't happened already, watch out for these scam calls you will likely get. They will tell you that they can find (or have found) renters for your Getaway weeks who are willing to pay way above the maintenance fees. Then they will tell you that you have to pay some sort of fee to get the program started.

As others have pointed out, neither you nor any supposed helping agency on your behalf can rent out such weeks as they are not yours to rent out.

Of course, this doesn't exclude those same phone calls telling you they have a buyer for your TS.

Reaction score
Thank you for your help, yes it was on westgate resort, they really trick us...

I'm still paying for it per month, do you know what could happen if I stop paying? We are not From USA we were vacationing in Orlando, can they still sue us or something? We live in Mexico

Can we sell it to someone who could really use it? Can you recommend me where?

Thank you for your help

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, yes it was on westgate resort, they really trick us...

I'm still paying for it per month, do you know what could happen if I stop paying? We are not From USA we were vacationing in Orlando, can they still sue us or something? We live in Mexico

Can we sell it to someone who could really use it? Can you recommend me where?

Thank you for your help

It is worth $0. You will not find a buyer.
Stop paying.

tturla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Found an great deal on a II Getaway for the week after Thanksgiving (so not high in demand) for a resort. The two bedroom lock out was only $100 more than a 1 bedroom. I was thinking of buying the 2 bedroom with the hopes of finding friends or family to join. If I can’t, can I find someone to rent the Studio lock out? Sounds like it would be against the rules but if only done this one time, would it be safe? Just trying to plan ahead in case I can’t find a friend/family who would join me.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Found an great deal on a II Getaway for the week after Thanksgiving (so not high in demand) for a resort. The two bedroom lock out was only $100 more than a 1 bedroom. I was thinking of buying the 2 bedroom with the hopes of finding friends or family to join. If I can’t, can I find someone to rent the Studio lock out? Sounds like it would be against the rules but if only done this one time, would it be safe? Just trying to plan ahead in case I can’t find a friend/family who would join me.

It is against the rules, but you are unlikely to get caught if you do it discreetly.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Why are guests posting such heated arguments? Denise is only stating the rules of the exchange companies.
She didn’t make the rules, nor is she reporting anyone breaking the rules.
We are not know it all Timeshare Gods.
We just share information and advice that we have learned from owning timeshares.
I find TUG a very enjoyable site to visit. I hope it stays that way.
If you want to argue and fight, then this website is not for you.
Peace and Love (as Sir Ringo would say)
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You wouldn't be able to lock it off a head of time so what you would have is a 2 br with a bedroom you aren't using. You wouldn't be able to get a guest certificate for them to check in separately. When you check in you could ask for the 2 sides to be keyed separately and ask if they could put a separate name on each side with a separate credit card. Not only would you probably not want to do this for someone who isn't a friend or family member, someone who isn't a friend or family member probably wouldn't want this kind of arrangement for their holiday. Also unless you know for sure that all the 2 BR's at that resort are lock offs, you could be assigned a non lock off. You also couldn't advertise for a rental of your partial unit (lock off) in a public forum or public rental place, again it is the same as advertising the full unit.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
And, once again, it's not really worth the effort or risk involved. Renting something for your family or next door neighbor? Probably harmless once in a blue moon.
Renting to a complete stranger for a few hundred bucks? Crazy

Should the 'tenant' turn out to be a nightmare on the beach, you could face some real ugly issues, really quick.

IMHO of course. YMMV.