• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting DC Points

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
When did you buy your weeks?
In the past couple of years. First I bought odd year ocean front in the new buildings, then I added even year, but in the old buildings, because I got a price I couldn't refuse. So now I have a combined annual, alternating between new and old. Prior to buying the even year they tried hard to get me to enroll the odd year week and buy DC points that would enable me to use points for the even year. I'd end up where I am now, except I'd have an enrolled week and DC points. After all the buy-backs, discounts, etc., cost would be about $26,000. But I was able to buy that even year for < $10k. So it was like having a $16k "credit." That buys a lot of a few days here and there.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Also, if a weeks owner exchanges their week for Bonvoy points, these weeks are rented on Marriott.com.
I don't know what the exchange is, but that sure seems like it would be a last-ditch, no other option thing to do.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I don't know what the exchange is, but that sure seems like it would be a last-ditch, no other option thing to do.
I can’t disagree, but I bet we would all be surprised at how many people do this with their weeks.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
So we own several weeks in Maui. We can lock off two of them so we can extend our vacations the years we don't bring the family with us. Several years ago we bought 1000 points to use as day before or after our MOC reservations. This allows us to better shop air fares for our trip. Or, this year to give our kids a room after we checked out, since they found a killer air fare. Since the MOC rooms get relatively little DC point value compared to cost, we don't ever elect DC for them. This strategy can force a lot of room changes, but we have them down to a science.
I have never elected dc points for my 2BR 2ba unit..the points for giving back the unit is only 1950 dc points...i get much better value depositing my 2BR into interval as a 1 bedroom and a studio giving me 2 week exchanges...with the ability to increase the length with dc points...Marriot has ALWAYS kept me in the same unit..we have a lot of flexibility as to when and where we vacation

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriot has ALWAYS kept me in the same unit..we have a lot of flexibility as to when and where we vacation

Me too. I just call the front desk in advance of the trip and they combine my DC points reservation with the weeks reservation. I have never moved, even once. Of course, you have to have the same room size, and view.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Me too. I just call the front desk in advance of the trip and they combine my DC points reservation with the weeks reservation. I have never moved, even once. Of course, you have to have the same room size, and view.
Hi Steve...not necessarily the same size room...i have exchanged a 1 Bedroom and then upgraded to a 2BR with no extra fee(if Available)through II...and then used Dc Points to book a 1 BR for 2,3 or 4 extra days(if available)and the Marriot has kept me in the 1 BR portion every time.....the view has never been an issue for me...whatever i exchange into...is the view i get using DC Points(if available)..there are times,albeit not often, when i use the points at the beginning of a vacation........so being flexible is the key

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I am saying is this. If you have a II trade into a MOC ocean front, you cannot book a DC points island view and expect them to keep you in the ocean front. If you book the points portion yourself, you could easily do this and not realize they likely won't keep you in the far more expensive ocean front. I've had to cancel my DC points and rebook to get the correct view.

If you get an exchange into a MOC 2BR, and you arrange DC points for a 1BR, I have never seen them combine the two.