• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting DC Points

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'd like to have about 3 or so days at Maui Ocean Club, a 2BR, either OF or OV. Old or new buildings doesn't matter. Dates Nov. 2 or 3 through 6. I can just go to Marriott.com and there is something there I can rent. But I'm wondering if it is better or more cost-effective to rent DC points (I have a floating week that's not enrolled so that doesn't help me) or if there is/are better options available. If renting DC points from someone is the best solution, how would I go about doing that?

Craig

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You have to have a DC account in order to rent points (either by owning points or having an enrolled unit).

However, some of the megarenters will make a reservation for you using points and put the reservation in your name.

I would start at www.vacationpointexchange.com

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You have to have a DC account in order to rent points (either by owning points or having an enrolled unit).

However, some of the megarenters will make a reservation for you using points and put the reservation in your name.

I would start at www.vacationpointexchange.com
Thanks. That's helpful to know. Is there any way to know availability other than asking the person you want to rent the points from to find out?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's helpful to know. Is there any way to know availability other than asking the person you want to rent the points from to find out?

With what is going on in the world these days then I would think the probability of scoring something you want is entirely possible......

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I'd like to have about 3 or so days at Maui Ocean Club, a 2BR, either OF or OV. Old or new buildings doesn't matter. Dates Nov. 2 or 3 through 6. I can just go to Marriott.com and there is something there I can rent. But I'm wondering if it is better or more cost-effective to rent DC points (I have a floating week that's not enrolled so that doesn't help me) or if there is/are better options available. If renting DC points from someone is the best solution, how would I go about doing that?

Craig
No 3 or 4 day (Nov. 2nd - 6th) 2 bedroom OF or OV currently available for booking online using points at the Maui Ocean Club. Current availability at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers 3day check in Nov. 3rd
1587843449975.png

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
No 3 or 4 day (Nov. 2nd - 6th) 2 bedroom OF or OV currently available for booking online using points at the Maui Ocean Club.
Thanks. Is that something you can determine because you're a DC Points owner? As an unenrolled weeks owner I don't see anywhere I can look for that.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Thanks. Is that something you can determine because you're a DC Points owner? As an unenrolled weeks owner I don't see anywhere I can look for that.
Yes

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
No 3 or 4 day (Nov. 2nd - 6th) 2 bedroom OF or OV currently available for booking online using points at the Maui Ocean Club. Current availability at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Molokai, Maui & Lanai Towers 3day check in Nov. 3rd
View attachment 19650
Makes one wonder about the value of DC points. As an owner of two unenrolled weeks, I get the full monty sales pitch from them about enrolling and buying some points for the "flexibility" and all that. I've not bit because I don't anticipate we will be using them anywhere but Maui and the value/benefits just don't seem to be there. Then this comes up and I wonder. But here we are in the midst of a pandemic, looking for a nothing-special off-season date in early November, and even in those circumstances points aren't available for use. I'd be really annoyed. Especially since I can go to Marriott.com and rent what I want - a 2BR OV in the new buildings. So 2-BR OV rooms are available to the public, but not to a DC points owner (who paid a heck of a lot of money for those points). Doesn't seem right.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Makes one wonder about the value of DC points. As an owner of two unenrolled weeks, I get the full monty sales pitch from them about enrolling and buying some points for the "flexibility" and all that. I've not bit because I don't anticipate we will be using them anywhere but Maui and the value/benefits just don't seem to be there. Then this comes up and I wonder. But here we are in the midst of a pandemic, looking for a nothing-special off-season date in early November, and even in those circumstances points aren't available for use. I'd be really annoyed. Especially since I can go to Marriott.com and rent what I want - a 2BR OV in the new buildings. So 2-BR OV rooms are available to the public, but not to a DC points owner (who paid a heck of a lot of money for those points). Doesn't seem right.

You are less than seven months from your proposed trip. Maui is a tough reservation in general. Many people canceled their March/April/May reservations and some have probably re-reserved for November. I would venture to say that all reservations other than the 12 month owner variety will be very different for the remainder of 2020 and for 2021 than typical.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You are less than seven months from your proposed trip. Maui is a tough reservation in general. Many people canceled their March/April/May reservations and some have probably re-reserved for November. I would venture to say that all reservations other than the 12 month owner variety will be very different for the remainder of 2020 and for 2021 than typical.
Yes, I get that. But I've got to believe there are a lot more people canceling and calling it quits for 2020 than hopefully sliding their points-booked trip a few months. I wouldn't be going in Nov but for my step-daughter getting married there. If you need to use your DC points 12 mo. in advance it's not offering much advantage over just owning a week assuming that's where you want to go.

I see some advantages to DC points, but this underscores to me that the real advantage is if you like to go to different places and don't want to be tied to one, or deal with II trades.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You’d be surprised. I’m not calling it quits on my Maui trip in 5 weeks. At least not yet. I’ll give it 3 more weeks before I attempt to make a decision.
If they eliminate the 14-day quarantine upon arrival, it would probably be okay to go. I can't imagine going otherwise. I at least want to go down and BBQ on the grills and bring food to the room!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I get that. But I've got to believe there are a lot more people canceling and calling it quits for 2020 than hopefully sliding their points-booked trip a few months. I wouldn't be going in Nov but for my step-daughter getting married there. If you need to use your DC points 12 mo. in advance it's not offering much advantage over just owning a week assuming that's where you want to go.

I see some advantages to DC points, but this underscores to me that the real advantage is if you like to go to different places and don't want to be tied to one, or deal with II trades.

There are more than a dozen advantages in my eyes. I'll give you some more common ones. I hate going somewhere for merely a week, sorry, not long enough. So, every Feb we go to a 1BR red season at Desert Springs. In MF, that cost me ~ $1,062 this year. Or, a cost per night MF wise of $151.74. That's one ownership I have. But I don't do that. You will note that DC points have different amounts needed for different days of the week, so, I add on the 5 cheap days. Either to the front, or, back, or both as needed so it's 12 days. Since I am Presidential level, I also cancel those made well in advance DC points days and rebook at the 60 day mark. 100% success rate on any place I have gone (unlikely in some places of course, but I haven't gone there!). So, my cost in MF for the 5 day points is $344.34 this year, or, a cost per night of $86.08, far less than my ownership. No, I didn't buy any points at $14 or even remotely close. So, the advantages in this example is I don't need multiples of 7 nights, and it plays great with weeks, and, owning enough gets you 30% off on points cost for a given reservation.

Some here on TUG do not like or trust renting, no matter how many times someone might say I've done it 1,000 time without issue. There is a control issue. And some literally despise II. I do not despise it, but some do as they feel there is uncertainty and no view guarantees.

Owning more gives a variety of tangible benefits, most of which I use, such as being able to get into Ritz.

I regularly stay for just 4 nights or so in Branson Willow Ridge Lodge since it's drive-able for me. Especially if a friend might be going there, we'll meet them. So, tomorrow, I might say let's go to Branson. I go online, reserve, and go since it's usually available any time of year. If I wanted to go May 17 for 4 nights, it would cost me discounted 420 points in a 1BR. Or, $65/night. If you are one who can do studios (we don't like studios), you can get into Branson for as little as 50 points, less 30% or 35 points net. That's $21/night, try that in a hotel. Yes, it's not prime season, but there are many good times to go there when you can drive. And the shows are the same, and the resort amenities are the same. I rarely if ever go on a trip for the (mostly) required 7 nights with weeks. And you can't always check in any day on weeks, sometimes you're stuck with highest airfares as a result.

DC points users generally made out better during this pandemic event due to how cancellations work, many weeks owners feel they lost a lot. Not all, always depends.

That's a few reasons, there are many more. I love DC points. And I like my weeks too. Together, they are wonderful.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
There are more than a dozen advantages in my eyes. I'll give you some more common ones. I hate going somewhere for merely a week, sorry, not long enough. So, every Feb we go to a 1BR red season at Desert Springs. In MF, that cost me ~ $1,062 this year. Or, a cost per night MF wise of $151.74. That's one ownership I have. But I don't do that. You will note that DC points have different amounts needed for different days of the week, so, I add on the 5 cheap days. Either to the front, or, back, or both as needed so it's 12 days. Since I am Presidential level, I also cancel those made well in advance DC points days and rebook at the 60 day mark. 100% success rate on any place I have gone (unlikely in some places of course, but I haven't gone there!). So, my cost in MF for the 5 day points is $344.34 this year, or, a cost per night of $86.08, far less than my ownership. No, I didn't buy any points at $14 or even remotely close. So, the advantages in this example is I don't need multiples of 7 nights, and it plays great with weeks, and, owning enough gets you 30% off on points cost for a given reservation.

Some here on TUG do not like or trust renting, no matter how many times someone might say I've done it 1,000 time without issue. There is a control issue. And some literally despise II. I do not despise it, but some do as they feel there is uncertainty and no view guarantees.

Owning more gives a variety of tangible benefits, most of which I use, such as being able to get into Ritz.

I regularly stay for just 4 nights or so in Branson Willow Ridge Lodge since it's drive-able for me. Especially if a friend might be going there, we'll meet them. So, tomorrow, I might say let's go to Branson. I go online, reserve, and go since it's usually available any time of year. If I wanted to go May 17 for 4 nights, it would cost me discounted 420 points in a 1BR. Or, $65/night. If you are one who can do studios (we don't like studios), you can get into Branson for as little as 50 points, less 30% or 35 points net. That's $21/night, try that in a hotel. Yes, it's not prime season, but there are many good times to go there when you can drive. And the shows are the same, and the resort amenities are the same. I rarely if ever go on a trip for the (mostly) required 7 nights with weeks. And you can't always check in any day on weeks, sometimes you're stuck with highest airfares as a result.

DC points users generally made out better during this pandemic event due to how cancellations work, many weeks owners feel they lost a lot. Not all, always depends.

That's a few reasons, there are many more. I love DC points. And I like my weeks too. Together, they are wonderful.
But I'll note two things. One is, you have a wonderfully advanced understanding of how to make the system work for you. That's not average or typical. I doubt you figured it out while watching the news one evening. You've put time and effort into growing your knowledge and now you can use that to your advantage. Again, that's not average or typical. The other is, you go here and there. A few days here. A few there. 10 here. 3 there. DC points give you that ability. No doubt. IF -- IF -- you are going when and where you can use them. You made one interesting comment, "unlikely in some places of course, but I haven't gone there!" I may be hearing you wrong, but it sounds like you're saying that the points wouldn't work the magic for you if those were places you wanted to go.

We go to Hawaii. Either Lagoon Tower, or Maui Ocean Club, or (usually) both. That's it. (I've done, and continue to do, a LOT of traveling either with work or to play golf, but that's on me, my wife doesn't go. I have Hilton points, and cash, for those trips to Australia, NZ, Spain, Ireland, Etc.) And it's a bit of an ordeal for us to go anywhere. Until this year, we had an < 18 daughter in high school. 3 dogs. 1 cat. And a high-maintenance home. So we can never go on short notice.

As I noted, I see some advantages to DC points. But for someone that wants to go to MOC for a week or two every year, the benefits are not much.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I noted, I see some advantages to DC points. But for someone that wants to go to MOC for a week or two every year, the benefits are not much.

Yep, I was merely responding to the one post you made, not trying to claim it's good for you, you sounded a little confused about the value of points. Just giving you some of the advantages one can get since you sounded as if you might just want to know more, but could be wrong. To use in a single place, not exactly what points were meant for, more what weeks were meant for in most cases. MOC is expensive just about any way you cut it.

You are correct, I have traveled to a lot of foreign countries using my ownership, and maybe half of the MVCI in the US. My goal is to visit all MVCI properties at least once. And you are correct, one doesn't watch the news and just suddenly realize everything they ever wanted to know about MVCI, lol.

"but it sounds like you're saying that the points wouldn't work the magic for you if those were places you wanted to go"

Well, possibly. I am amazingly persistent, and, I would give me a 99.9% chance I could do it, just have not been to all of them yet. I also write website scrapers...

Anyway, the others have already said it's going to be tough to get your dates at this point but possible and this year is going to be a toughie to predict! If you owned points, you'd need a lot and ideally, you'd be booking 12 months in advance to have the best chance. Or, if you owned even more points, 13 months in advance to get first dibs but that will be very expensive. But you can possibly get there other ways.

Now is a good time to purchase things if you have the money during these hard times. I suspect resale weeks will become cheaper, as have resale points. Owning at MOC in the desired view and or week and or season is the best way for you to achieve going there reliably IMHO. You can try and rent, but you will never be guaranteed you'd be able to get a specific date if you are that locked down and you really wanted to go there every year, or a specific view. Unless you got a points owner to arrange the dates for you and rent to you, though then given the current circumstances, what if you couldn't travel? Who is on the hook? Be careful. This year, I would really not arrange a points trip for someone else to rent from me unless it was made clear no cancellation under any conditions and no refunds. But that's me.

I am not a MOC expert by any means, some here on TUG are. I would have to guess that the majority of the usage at MOC is from weeks owners. If a weeks owner does not elect to exchange his week for points, then, that week is not available for a points reservation. Many MOC owners would not get a great value by electing for points, so I suspect it's a tougher place to go on points. I would recommend against going the points route in this case as to rent them (your thread title), you'd have to buy at least some. Better to go with the other suggestions. Good luck! I hope you get to go.

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
But I'll note two things. One is, you have a wonderfully advanced understanding of how to make the system work for you. That's not average or typical. I doubt you figured it out while watching the news one evening. You've put time and effort into growing your knowledge and now you can use that to your advantage. Again, that's not average or typical. The other is, you go here and there. A few days here. A few there. 10 here. 3 there. DC points give you that ability. No doubt. IF -- IF -- you are going when and where you can use them. You made one interesting comment, "unlikely in some places of course, but I haven't gone there!" I may be hearing you wrong, but it sounds like you're saying that the points wouldn't work the magic for you if those were places you wanted to go.

We go to Hawaii. Either Lagoon Tower, or Maui Ocean Club, or (usually) both. That's it. (I've done, and continue to do, a LOT of traveling either with work or to play golf, but that's on me, my wife doesn't go. I have Hilton points, and cash, for those trips to Australia, NZ, Spain, Ireland, Etc.) And it's a bit of an ordeal for us to go anywhere. Until this year, we had an < 18 daughter in high school. 3 dogs. 1 cat. And a high-maintenance home. So we can never go on short notice.

You are correct in that if all you want to do is go the same resort for a week or two and that’s it, then there isn’t any value for you with DC points. I would not recommend it for you. It is not about just having the points, it’s about the advantages of the system. For those of us who like to explore and venture all over the country and world, the DC points offer lots of advantages. I own three weeks with Marriott that provide me with a decent amount of points, over 13,000. I like Steve Fatula, who shared info with you, rarely fly on weekends. With points, it has allowed me to save thousands of dollars by flying on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as opposed to the weekends or Fridays when flights are more expensive. I usually fly from California to Hawaii and it’s a $200 - $250 per PERSON difference in cost. So with my three tickets, the savings of $600 -$750 is not anything to sneeze at to me. I too don’t like only 7 nights after traveling so far and dealing with jet lag, so being able to tack on additional days is a plus. Now I will stay four to six weeks when I go to Hawaii during the summer. Whenever, I needed a couple of days between stays, having the ability to use points to plug those holes is a great advantage I’m doubly fortunate because I have 2 point systems with which to work. When you’re in the DC points system you don’t pay to lock off your two bedroom, so when I go want to lock off my 3 two bedroom units to make six weeks, it costs me nothing extra with Interval International. My membership to enroll into Interval is also included in my DC Club fees. Let’s say you want a different view than you what you own or you need more or less space. Points allow you to upgrade a view or go up or down in size. Being in the Points program would save you between 25% - 35% if you were in the points programs.

I am certainly not going to belabor the discussion on the points program, but there are some big advantages if have an opportunity to use them.Your enrolled week(s) seem to work for your purposes, so as I wrote, enjoy your time as you’ve always and not worry about points.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points

Agree 100%..DC Points allow for greater flexibility whether using them to add on days to a weeks reservation or just for a 3 or 4 day getaway..I have used my points for all scenarios......I love the FLEXIBILITY

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Agree 100%..DC Points allow for greater flexibility whether using them to add on days to a weeks reservation or just for a 3 or 4 day getaway..I have used my points for all scenarios......I love the FLEXIBILITY
When I want to add on days, which I will commonly do to fly on less expensive days, I just pay and rent the room to arrive on, say Wed instead of Friday or Saturday. Between the owner discount, and the air savings, it makes the cost of those extra days pretty low. For us that comes up only once or twice a year, so the break-even on buying points to achieve that would be quite a long time. And, getting back to the start of this post/rant is that I'm able to rent a room even where there is nothing available for a points owner. That was my initial complaint... wanting a few days, mid-week, off-season, seven months ahead, and I can RENT the room from Marriott.com, but would not be able to use DC points to obtain the room. That would make me mad. It seems like the owner of DC points should be able to use those to obtain any room that is available on the market for rental to a non-owner.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
When I want to add on days, which I will commonly do to fly on less expensive days, I just pay and rent the room to arrive on, say Wed instead of Friday or Saturday. Between the owner discount, and the air savings, it makes the cost of those extra days pretty low. For us that comes up only once or twice a year, so the break-even on buying points to achieve that would be quite a long time. And, getting back to the start of this post/rant is that I'm able to rent a room even where there is nothing available for a points owner. That was my initial complaint... wanting a few days, mid-week, off-season, seven months ahead, and I can RENT the room from Marriott.com, but would not be able to use DC points to obtain the room. That would make me mad. It seems like the owner of DC points should be able to use those to obtain any room that is available on the market for rental to a non-owner.

‘Understand that the rooms that Marriott rents are still owned by Marriott not the owners. Any room rented by Marriott was notsold by Marriott. They have to pay maintenance fees on those units that have not been sold just as you do. They rent their units just as you can. It has nothing to do with points or weeks, it has to do with where the inventory is coming from.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
‘Understand that the rooms that Marriott rents are still owned by Marriott not the owners. Any room rented by Marriott was notsold by Marriott. They have to pay maintenance fees on those units that have not been sold just as you do. They rent their units just as you can. It has nothing to do with points or weeks, it has to do with where the inventory is coming from.
So, trying to understand that and how it works. Are you saying Marriott is essentially just another weeks owner of certain units? And those units owned by Marriott are not part of the "trust" out of which DC points are used to reserve a room?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
So, trying to understand that and how it works. Are you saying Marriott is essentially just another weeks owner of certain units? And those units owned by Marriott are not part of the "trust" out of which DC points are used to reserve a room?

Yes and yes.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Also, if a weeks owner exchanges their week for Bonvoy points, these weeks are rented on Marriott.com.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Craig
When did you buy your weeks?

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we own several weeks in Maui. We can lock off two of them so we can extend our vacations the years we don't bring the family with us. Several years ago we bought 1000 points to use as day before or after our MOC reservations. This allows us to better shop air fares for our trip. Or, this year to give our kids a room after we checked out, since they found a killer air fare. Since the MOC rooms get relatively little DC point value compared to cost, we don't ever elect DC for them. This strategy can force a lot of room changes, but we have them down to a science.