• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reimburse Expense due to UAL fault

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our flight got delayed for 24 hours due to lack of flight attendant. We were actually on the plane waited for 2 hours before they announced the delay. This is New Year Eve. Very limited hotel was available since this is Kona. We waited for over 1 hour for United (9:00pm - flight original schedule at 1:45pm) to give us taxi voucher and hotel voucher. They still haven't start the process. We gave up and took a taxi and stayed over to a friend's timeshare (just happen to be there for the night). Can we get re-imbursed for the taxi cab ride - $75 each way, dinner, breakfast the next day? The attendant at the luggage says keep all the receipts and get reimbursed. I tried calling customer service at United but there is no phone #.

To make it worst, the next day, the rescheduled flight was delayed from 11:45am to 1:15pm. We were in the plane for over 1 hour and there is no food to purchase since all the food from yesterday are spoiled. There were a mad rush to the snack stand to buy food and it ran out of chips, cookie etc.

The airline is only offering $400 for next flight voucher good till Dec 31,2012, or 17,500 milage or 20% off coupon. This seems so little compare to the stress that we have and the expense that we have to pay.
Can you negotiate the compensation and have them pay for the expense.

UAL should have known better to have 6 flight attendances available.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Airlines are horrible when it comes to this. It is frustrating but if they were to offer fair compensation to affected customers everyones tickets would rise.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will walk before I'll fly United again. They've always been delayed when I've used them.

When I was flying United out of Kona a few years ago, our plane was delayed over 5 hours because the pilot was flying too long and they had to get a new pilot. That sounded so preventable. It was a red eye and the rest of the airport closed, so we all sat outside. Some people slept on the concrete.

I flew them 2 more times after that and both times they were severely delayed and we missed connecting flights. Never again. I even have vouchers from them that are so difficult to use, that we didn't use them. They expire next month.

EDIT TO ADD: They gave us nothing for the Kona delay. When our trip to Orlando was delayed and we missed our connecting flight and had to miss our dinner reservations (which were scheduled 4 hours after we were supposed to arrive), they gave us each $200. in vouchers that can only be redeemed by taking them in person to the airport.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Consider yourself lucky to get anything. If you want to push the issue about reimbursement, go ahead but $400 is not bad.

If you have elite status, you probably could get more but as a "regular" passenger, chances are not good.

Sorry for your problems.

Cheers

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
ua

if you had been an elite, i am sure United would have taken care of you. On a recent flight to SFO, when I had a disconnect, UA put me up in a hotel and gave me food vouchers. I probably would have gotten further compensation if I had asked. One thing that comes to mind is to ask just who you were dealing with at UA. If you were talking to a gate attendant and a reservation agent, you should consider yourself lucky to get what you got. You need to talk to corporate. I mean if you went to the theater would you ask the usher for compensation for a bad performance? He obviously doesn't have the authority to make such a decision. If you are not talking to corporate, then you don't have much of a complaint, You need to talk to someone with authority to compensate you. If you were talking to corporate, then you need to just be persistent.
As for "consequential damages", you never get those either in court or via a negotiation. The reason is, of course, they could be almost anything. It is impossible to accurately know or be aware of exactly what those could be.

Last edited:

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have passenger pay $450 for new year eve night so they don't sleep in the concrete in the airport. I got off lightly with $250 expense due to flight delayed. I am so surprise that you don't get reimburse the expense especially the pilot admit over the speaker they can't take off due to lack of flight attendant. I just send an email to the corporate, customerrelations@united.com and wondering if they will respond. The baggage handler just told us to keep all expense and send it to United. However, I try calling the United number and can't reach customer relationship office - only an answering machine saying send email to letter to customer relationship office. They don't give out phone number for me to contact them directly.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
ua

You will get a reply from customer relations. It may take a few days, but they will reply so try and be patient. They are generally pretty good but again they will not reimburse you for consequential damages, It is always a good idea to keep receipts.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Generally speaking, all they're liable for is to get you from point A to point B. They don't have to be on time or even on the same day. They just have to get you there.........eventually.

Thus, the advent of trip insurance. It's for situations such as this that trip insurance comes in handy. Did you pay for the tickets with a credit card? Many include some form of trip delay coverage that might help you with some of the expenses. You'll need to call the check what's necessary to file a claim. Hopefully you got receipts for everything you've spent money on including the taxi.

One thing I've found travel insurance good for is the emergancy services when I'm stuck somewhere. When it's tough to find a hotel room, they'll do the research for you and often put a hold on the room for you.

I'd complain to UAL but my expectations will be rather low. If you're a FF, at the very least you'll probably get a few thousand miles added to your account. I've never known any airline to be good at reimbursement for expenses caused by a delay. Sometimes you'll get vouchers but, if you don't, I think the chances of reiumbursement through UAl is slim.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
IROPS is one area in which I miss Northwest. They were great with compensation. Even a short mechanical delay of an hour or so, and they came through the cabin passing out books of apology vouchers, good for free alcohlic drinks inflight, bonus ff miles, free long distance call, etc.

The worst however was Air Jamaica which apparently regularly signfiicantly overbooked flights. On leaving St. Lucia, I was one of about 20 overbooked passengers, and lucky for me just as I got up to get my hotel voucher, they had one seat open up so I got it. From passengers who got on at the stop in Montego Bay, there were also about 20 overbooked passnegers there. Air Jaimaica was giving only hotel vouchers, at a hotel that others ahead of me said was a dump. You had to argue with them to get taxi vouchers or meal vouchers. They acted like they were doing you a favor giving you a free extra day on the island. As it turned out, though, if I had not had to argue for those vouchers and get a supervisor to come over and okay it, I probably would have left before the seat opened up.

the EU has strong rules about what airlines owe you in these circumstances, so if you have this happen there, know your rights under the EU rules.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My memory of a flight on AirJamaica is that the return leg from Montego Bay to Miami was delayed by six hours so they gave us meal vouchers, good inside the airport only. The only vendor open at that time was a hot-dog stand.

I finally arrived at my hotel in Miami ~ 1AM and had three hours sleep before returning to the airport for a 6:30AM flight out.