• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recent Hilton Buy Backs

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hilton Las Vegas Strip $14,500
Hilton Las Vegas Strip 7000 points $14,000
Hilton Las Vegas Strip 7000 points $12,500
HGVC @ Las Vegas Hilton 7000 points $10,000
Hilton Sea World 7000 points $11,500
Hilton Las Vegas Strip 4800 point unit $7,800
Hilton Sea World 4800 points $6750

These are my most recent buy backs. If anyone else has had RECENT buy backs, please post them. Thanks.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Only Platinum buy backs?

Thanks for the info.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'm not surprised Hilton has been exercising ROFR. They are aggressively trying to get owners to consolidate and upgrade. At my last owner's update in September, the sales lady had a list of available units from a variety of resorts and was trying to entice me to trade in what I have for a consolidated package.

I am surprised at the prices Hilton is ROFRing on, especially compared with what Marriott is letting go.

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Hilton pretty aggressive for The Bay Club also?

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth, thanks for the updates on HGVC buybacks!

Would someone mind explaining what the HGVC consolidation packages look like?

TIA,

nonutrix

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Would someone mind explaining what the HGVC consolidation packages look like?

I have more than 1 HGVC deed, and the saleslady tried to talk me into trading them back to Hilton and paying a minimum of $7,000 for an upgraded property (in my case, it was oceanfront Hawaii). I call it a consolidation, although Hilton labels it a trade up. Although having one MF is appealing, it's not worth fewer points, the minimum purchase price, and the high closing fee (double what's normal).

Last edited:

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth,
For comparison, can you also list some of the LOWER priced properties that Hilton waived ROFR recently?

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Passed:
5000 point Sea World $5,700
3400 point Sea World $3,500
7000 point Sea World $11,500
5000 point Las Vegas Hilton $6,200
5000 point Las Vegas Strip $6,500

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Seth Nock

Reaction score
There is always an element of surprise with the ROFR. However, if 1 has recently toured and bought resale, it is more likely for the resale unit to be bought back.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is always an element of surprise with the ROFR. However, if 1 has recently toured and bought resale, it is more likely for the resale unit to be bought back.

So are you saying that Hilton is keeping specific individuals from buying resale, if they have toured recently and declined to buy?

Basically, they're using a list of prospects who have toured and are exercising ROFR on those specific individuals if a proposed sale comes past the desk?

If that's the case, I would go for a Flamingo week where HGVC has no say over what is paid, and there is no ROFR.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So are you saying that Hilton is keeping specific individuals from buying resale, if they have toured recently and declined to buy?

Hilton really could not care less whether you personally having done a tour, later try to buy resale.
Its far less pernicious.

HGVC has some gnomes in its basement who keep track of which units (sizes+seasons) -- not who -- are pulling interest in the marketplace. They look at what's being shown or sold (even in the resale market) to help them decide how many of each type+location they want to have on hand to sell to their marks.

If they think that they can sell 2-BR Gold's in Orlando, they'll buy back more of 'em, rather than cede the territory to the resale market. The next day, they could decide that they already have too many, and so, both push those units and pass on ROFR, rather than take back more.

It really is nothing more than inventory control. Believe me, there is no Wizard of Oz (Hilton-Avatar) behind the curtain screwing with you.

Last edited:

short

TUG Member
Reaction score
Financing.

I did a HGVC owner update(tour) while at the Bay Club about one month ago. They were still offering the usually financing. The rep. said Blackstone Group has plenty of internal money for financing. He said credit rating was not problem but with good credit scores and 50 percent down we could get a much better interest rate.

HGVC may be feeling the slowdown but does not seem to be listed in the usual timeshare cutbacks. They do seem to have more cash to keep doing what they have always done.

Short

AFJAY

Reaction score
We just closed on our first TS, HGVC Las Vegas Strip.
2 bedroom 5000 points every year for $ 6000.
We attended our sales presentation about 1 year ago, and are scheduled to use our 1 time purchased 7000 points for a trip to Hawaii. The day prior to ours passing ROFR, I was told that all 4 of the properties that they agent we were working with were bought back. The next day ours came through.

Were happy, new to this, excited, and so VERY glad to have found this site and all the help for kind folks with all the support and advice.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hilton does not need to sell commercial paper to sell their units. They hold their notes. Therefore they can still sell and finance. Their sales are not down anywheres near as much as other developers.

Hilton, as well as most of the developers using right of first refusal, most definitely has on their computers who recently toured, if they agreed to buy and canceled. Although they may exercise on any of the units, if they have 2 buyers, same price, same unit, they are more likely to exercise right of first refusal on the unit that is from someone who just canceled a deal with them.

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Side note, we were just at the Flamingo HGVC and we ignored all the phone calls, coupon books, and other come-ons from the "hospitality desk". Twice is enough for us!

sffan2

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were also just at the Flamingo, Sun-Fri. I don't remember any calls about a tour. I took a tour a year ago and passed on converting my resale purchases.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
All of the ROFR taken were platinum weeks, all of the sales allowed to go through were all Gold weeks, with 1 exception the 7000 point Seaworld sale.

So Gold season is regularly passing ROFR but it would appear that many Platinum weeks are NOT passing ROFR and Hilton is taking them back.

mbsteward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you're wrong

Hilton, as well as most of the developers using right of first refusal, most definitely has on their computers who recently toured, if they agreed to buy and canceled.

Uh-oh. I just got back from Las Vegas on the Strip after purchasing the VIP points for $1499. I found TUG the same night I got home, and rescinded the next day after reading about resale. After pouring over TUG and resale ads for two full days, I made an offer on a resale this past Monday.

The offer was for $4,400 for Orlando on International Drive (Tuscany), 1BR, Gold, 3400 points. I am using Grand Vacations Title company. I hope they don't hold it against me that I made an offer on a resale within a week timeframe from purchasing the VIP product and rescinding... we shall see.

As a footnote, I got the funds back from VIP cancellation in less than 5 days! That sounds very fast, as some other folks have had problems with getting refunds in the past.