• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI 1 in 4 Rule - 5 names on RCI account - can I book more?

Jesse6283

Reaction score
Trying too plan a big family trip. When I purchased an RCI Points timeshare, put 5 names on the Deed and that was also the max amount of names I was allowed too put on the RCI Account. Very confused about the RCI 1 in 4 Rule - does that mean 1 exchange per RCI account, or 1 exchange per Owner listed on the RCI account / Timeshare Deed? Anyone ever had their vacation weeks cancelled out because of this rule?

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trapp Family Lodge, Hillcrest Inn, The Village Green
Yes, I have. The resorts in Bartlett, NH have that rule. I had booked a different resort than the one we had stayed in a couple of years previously. The exchange was confirmed but then I received an email a week or so later that said it had been canceled because the four resorts in that anrea are under the same umbrella. Last year there was a thread and a member said you are able to book extra vacations and last calls and the 1 in 4 rule doesn’t apply. I don’t know if the rule applies if a different owner on the deed would work. I’ll be interested to know as both my husband and I are on our deeds so maybe he could book a unit.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My guess is the rule applies to the RCI account, not the owner. Unless each owner of the property has their own RCI account.

Sn0wbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have. The resorts in Bartlett, NH have that rule. I had booked a different resort than the one we had stayed in a couple of years previously. The exchange was confirmed but then I received an email a week or so later that said it had been canceled because the four resorts in that anrea are under the same umbrella. Last year there was a thread and a member said you are able to book extra vacations and last calls and the 1 in 4 rule doesn’t apply. I don’t know if the rule applies if a different owner on the deed would work. I’ll be interested to know as both my husband and I are on our deeds so maybe he could book a unit.
Did you get a refund on your points and exchange fees when your reservation was canceled?

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trapp Family Lodge, Hillcrest Inn, The Village Green
Did you get a refund on your points and exchange fees when your reservation was canceled?
Yes, I did and RCI did it automatically.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
So because I have one RCI account through HGVC and one through Wyndaham, I could get 2 in 4 or whatever assuming I exchanged from each account?

I honestly don't really get the limited RCI exchanges, unlike the points systems, aren't these actual week for actual week, so the resort is just potentially blocking a use at all of a week an owner deposited? Especially if they have resort fees, they're also giving those up. It just seems strange unless they're mostly depositing HOA or developer owned weeks I guess. Especially as there are some usually wide open resorts like Massanutten where it would seem to me like some use is better than no use. I guess it's good to know it doesn't seem to apply to extra vacations - that would really just seem stupid to me.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I honestly don't really get the limited RCI exchanges, unlike the points systems, aren't these actual week for actual week, so the resort is just potentially blocking a use at all of a week an owner deposited? Especially if they have resort fees, they're also giving those up. It just seems strange unless they're mostly depositing HOA or developer owned weeks I guess.

IMO there are a couple of reason resorts do this.

1) It gets more fresh meat/exchangers in each year for them to body snatch for sales presentations. This overcomes much of the downside you present above if the resort has enough demand to keep a fairly high occupancy rate

2) It can create a strong incentive for someone that wants to stay somewhere regularly to own there.