• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing a resale SDO (Sheraton Desert Oasis) no StarOptions is it worth taking on

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
A true platinum week is currently on ebay, if anyone is interested. It's a one bedroom only. I was going to bid the $1 but chose not to bid after thinking about it. I don't know if it's a small or large one bedroom. It's unit 3095, week 1, which fits into Denise's criteria for platinum. $75 closing cost + winning bid. Still tempted, so bid on it and keep me from buying it!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Oh, and it's free use for 2021, but Vistana often doesn't honor the usage, even if it's promised in the ad. Still tempted!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Oh, and it's free use for 2021, but Vistana often doesn't honor the usage, even if it's promised in the ad. Still tempted!
If they have it in points you might not get it but if they purchased resale and it isn't currently in VSN, you should get usage. It would probably end up being a II deposit because it won't transfer in time to use in the winter and the Christmas/new year platinum time may already be booked.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
I wish it was a 2-bedroom. 10k to retro a 81,000 (premium) or 67,100 (standard 1bedroom) unit might not be worth it

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wish it was a 2-bedroom. 10k to retro a 81,000 (premium) or 67,100 (standard 1bedroom) unit might not be worth it
Problem also is they make you retro with a purchase of flex which is worse than retroing with a voluntary resort with at least decent MF's.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Problem also is they make you retro with a purchase of flex which is worse than retroing with a voluntary resort with at least decent MF's.
So true! I wish they would let you retro for a fee without buying flex. I’d spend 5K to retro a unit without the burden of taking on a flex plan.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
A true platinum week is currently on ebay, if anyone is interested. It's a one bedroom only. I was going to bid the $1 but chose not to bid after thinking about it. I don't know if it's a small or large one bedroom. It's unit 3095, week 1, which fits into Denise's criteria for platinum. $75 closing cost + winning bid. Still tempted, so bid on it and keep me from buying it!
It is tempting..... great trader unit.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

If you would be using it as a trader, you would actually prefer the smaller one bedroom -- the MF's are much lower and the two sides seem to trade almost the same.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you would be using it as a trader, you would actually prefer the smaller one bedroom -- the MF's are much lower and the two sides seem to trade almost the same.
I think the fees are showing as $745, but with ebay ads, the fees tend to include SVN fees, which would not apply to a voluntary unit. But it seems it's a large 1 bedroom by that MF.

This is also a very rentable unit. If you can get something that is highly desirable, like a spring training week, you can rent it for a good deal over MF's. Go-koala.com!

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
The VSN StarOptions chart has this note for SDO: "StarOptions® amounts required for Sheraton Desert Oasis Home Resort Owners to access Sheraton Desert Oasis may differ from the amounts required by other Owners in the Vistana Signature Network to access this resort." Can somebody explain what that means in real terms?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The VSN StarOptions chart has this note for SDO: "StarOptions® amounts required for Sheraton Desert Oasis Home Resort Owners to access Sheraton Desert Oasis may differ from the amounts required by other Owners in the Vistana Signature Network to access this resort." Can somebody explain what that means in real terms?
If you own and retro'ed 1-52 SDO you can book any week during you homeweek period. Instead of having some units through SVN reflect 3 season ownership and some reflect 1-52 all SVN points requirement is based on the 3 seasons. So a 1-52 week owner enrolled in SVN only gets 81,000 SO's for a 2 BR lock off; which would not be enough to book during platinum season.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
There's also a 2BR lockoff by the same seller.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Looks like the 1 bedroom is Platinum. The 2 Bedroom is not. Tempting either way, but with no travel in 2020, my banked weeks are stacking up.

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs

I'm considering purchasing a Vistana and don't understand when you say they don't honor the usage?

snerkles1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Hillside
I bought an SDO resale 2BR lockoff about 8 years ago. I never intended to stay there, but bought it to trade through Interval International. We've had wonderful trades! I won't bore with a list here, but will be happy to share if you're interested. Unexpectedly, we later moved to Scottsdale (20 minutes from SDO) and stayed at SDO--first when we moved to have a retreat after unpacking all day, second when the house was painted. I do use the day pass every so often. I always split the lockoff into 2 1BR units, giving me 2 weeks a year. Choose2 gives me another 2 weeks a year. And I now have 4 Accommodation Certificates in my account--impossible for us to use them all.

Can I split the 2 bedroom SDO on a resale? To make it 2 one bedroom at SDO or is that just through interval that you split it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can split it with a resale.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can I split the 2 bedroom SDO on a resale? To make it 2 one bedroom at SDO or is that just through interval that you split it?
YOu can reserve each half of your week as two one bedroom units. Then you can use, rent, exchange through II the two in any combination.