• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchasing a resale SDO (Sheraton Desert Oasis) no StarOptions is it worth taking on

Bandito

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, A friend of mine wants to give me their SDO, 1 bedroom, Gold, Annual floating, check in Sunday via a resale. I understand there are maintenance fees, closing costs and transfer fees. I am not new to timeshares as we currently have a week in Cabo San Lucas, MX and use RCI for trading. That runs out in 4-5 years as we have had it for so long and those are not deeded for life. I read that the StarOptions at this resort will not be transferred because this is considered a "Voluntary" resort and not the mandatory resort. If I understand it correctly StarOptions let you stay at at any of the Starwood Vacation Network Resorts (SVN) so I would not have that option to use. The only option would be to trade it through RCI or II if we wanted to go elsewhere correct? Since we are RCI weeks member what would this be considered? Would we have to pay for another membership with RCI as points or something? I read through the stickies and found the deed information. I haven't found what this is worth trading into Hawaii or other places. We have a horrible time trading our studio Cabo San Lucas, MX unit with RCI every time and are flexible with our dates. I don't want to take on another that is going to be a pain to trade. Is this worth taking on? We live 1/2 hour from SDO in Arizona and the contract states we can use the pool year round which is a nice benefit but I have never heard of this as something that is normally included and I don't know if it will transfer. Thank you!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
An SDO is likely better to trade through II since you would have internal Vistana preference. People still get pretty good trades in to Westin and Sheraton properties using SDO.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I own a large 1 Bdm at SDO - they also have a small 1 Bdm which will have less trading power.

The primary reason for buying at this resort (besides using it) is that it is a cost effective Interval trader, because all Vistana/Sheraton/Westin resorts have first priority for other Vistana exchanges in II - but not in RCI.

It definitely has more trading power than your Mexico week.

You would have to join Interval.

You can expect to be able to trade for a 1 Bdm. Vistana Hawaii resort during the offseason - primarily fall and possibly spring. Westin Princeville is easier to get than Maui - I've traded for Princeville twice. The best way to get a Hawaii exchange is to put in a broad ongoing search.

If you are very flexible about when you travel, and can plan in advance, this should be a good deal for you. If you need high season dates and/or school holidays, it won't work for you.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I purchased a resale 2 bedroom SDO years ago and for the $19 I paid for it it’s been my best ever trader plus I love SDO and enjoy staying there. I would go for a 2 bedroom vs a 1 as it gives you more options.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Is day use a part of SDO deeds?

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I bought an SDO resale 2BR lockoff about 8 years ago. I never intended to stay there, but bought it to trade through Interval International. We've had wonderful trades! I won't bore with a list here, but will be happy to share if you're interested. Unexpectedly, we later moved to Scottsdale (20 minutes from SDO) and stayed at SDO--first when we moved to have a retreat after unpacking all day, second when the house was painted. I do use the day pass every so often. I always split the lockoff into 2 1BR units, giving me 2 weeks a year. Choose2 gives me another 2 weeks a year. And I now have 4 Accommodation Certificates in my account--impossible for us to use them all.

Bandito

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought an SDO resale 2BR lockoff about 8 years ago. I never intended to stay there, but bought it to trade through Interval International. We've had wonderful trades! I won't bore with a list here, but will be happy to share if you're interested. Unexpectedly, we later moved to Scottsdale (20 minutes from SDO) and stayed at SDO--first when we moved to have a retreat after unpacking all day, second when the house was painted. I do use the day pass every so often. I always split the lockoff into 2 1BR units, giving me 2 weeks a year. Choose2 gives me another 2 weeks a year. And I now have 4 Accommodation Certificates in my account--impossible for us to use them all.
Thank you! I will have to look at the contract to see if day passes are included in the contract. If so, if there is a limit to the number of days that can be used.

Bandito

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow-up question. Since this is a Gold season (not Gold plus) in the deed it looks like gold is Week number 22 through 27 and 36-49. So that means June 1st-July 11th or so AND Sept 7th-Dec 5th or so. That means we can only use our week during that time frame correct? We are used to having Red in Mexico and don't have many restrictions except Thanksgiving and Christmas so this is a little different. That would mean we couldn't book it Spring Break for our family that has kids in school but they could use it for Fall break in October. Does that not allow us to trade for any week with II and we are only locked into those weeks?

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I have SDO as a trader/renter. 2bdrm LO EOYE. Because it’s a Gold Plus, I primarily use as a renter though.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Thank you! I will have to look at the contract to see if day passes are included in the contract. If so, if there is a limit to the number of days that can be used.

Day passes are indeed a nice feature of the resort. There is no limit to the number as far as I know. You will need your contract number - simply give it to the individuals at the check-in desk. They will give you a keycard to get you into the pool area. There is a change room right beside the pool.

Bandito

TUG Member
Reaction score
Day passes are indeed a nice feature of the resort. There is no limit to the number as far as I know. You will need your contract number - simply give it to the individuals at the check-in desk. They will give you a keycard to get you into the pool area. There is a change room right beside the pool.
Thank you that helped out a lot so I just called the SDO directly and they said with a 1 bedroom you are allowed 4 guests, call ahead and tell them contract number, show ID and reserve spots. During Spring training that whole month and TPC golf you are not allowed to reserve because they are at full capacity so there are some time frames you cannot use the day pass.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Follow-up question. Since this is a Gold season (not Gold plus) in the deed it looks like gold is Week number 22 through 27 and 36-49. So that means June 1st-July 11th or so AND Sept 7th-Dec 5th or so. That means we can only use our week during that time frame correct? We are used to having Red in Mexico and don't have many restrictions except Thanksgiving and Christmas so this is a little different. That would mean we couldn't book it Spring Break for our family that has kids in school but they could use it for Fall break in October. Does that not allow us to trade for any week with II and we are only locked into those weeks?
You can trade using II. There’s HICV nearby as well.(We are actually visiting this site in July). Also once a II member there are Getaways that you can purchase.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If so, if there is a limit to the number of days that can be used.
I'm unaware of a limit. I call the resort, get permission, then check in at the front desk when I arrive. Scottsdale tourism is meager in June-July-August; perhaps they're happy to have another customer for the poolside snack bar.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I am at SDO now. The small 1 bedroom is super small. The kitchen virtually useless. Why it has a full size dishwasher when you can't cook anything is beyond me. There is no cooktop or stove. I usually only cook breakfast while on vacation it's a no go here.

I am not complaining we used a II AC the whole week was $239. For 2 adults that don't plan on cooking at all the room is sufficient, but really not better than a regular efficiency to me.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I am at SDO now. The small 1 bedroom is super small. The kitchen virtually useless. Why it has a full size dishwasher when you can't cook anything is beyond me. There is no cooktop or stove. I usually only cook breakfast while on vacation it's a no go here.

I am not complaining we used a II AC the whole week was $239. For 2 adults that don't plan on cooking at all the room is sufficient, but really not better than a regular efficiency to me.

According to the Vistana website, the small 1-bedroom has a compact dishwasher instead of a full-size dishwasher.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Is this your first visit to a small 1-bed at VSN? The small 1-beds are not that small... but it all depends on what you compare it to.

It should be almost identical to WMH small 1-bed, and have a two burner cooktop, microwave, small dishwasher, refrigerator and washer/dryer. I have yet to see a VSN property that did not have this at minimum.

https://www.vistana.com/destination...one-bedroom-premium-villa-two-bedroom-lockoff

So, please post pics!

Update: I just reviewed the Vistana and Marriott web sites. Both do not state the 1-bed has a stovetop but the illustration shows it. I’m surprised. Perhaps they took it out during the recent remodel?

0ddc72ff5dd2f790e5e924019d5b7e13.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This is the pic on the VSN site for the small 1-bed and sure enough, no cooktop.

ad50be9d54716f9c37cc7c02a0658f7b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in March and there are a few small one beds without cooktops but the majority do have them. When we were assigned one without we simply asked to be moved and it was no problem.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Ken555 picture of the kitchen is spot on.

The bath has a whirlpool tub but it t is only deeper than a regular tub not like the floor plan pic posted above. Which only makes it harder to shower in, in my opinion, there is a handicap bar to help the in and out though.

I don't think the bed is a king either. We have a Cal king in SoCal, and a queen is NoCal and it seems to be a queen with walking room around the bed and a very small closet.

They must be including the balcony in the 500 sq feet. Our apartment in NoCal is 500 square feet and other than the bathroom is definitely bigger than the space here.

Again it is adequate for 2 but there is no way 4 people would be comfortable here even if the other 2 where kids. The inability to fry some eggs is the biggest draw back in my book. Since we just ended day 2 asking for an alternative room is not in the plans.

People with mobility issues should also be aware there is no elevator if your on the second floor. I was warned but didn't request a first floor because my spouse's preference is not to be on the ground floor.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Spend another 10K in the Sheraton or Westin flex program and they will retro the resale unit so you can use staroptions. In my opinion, spend a nominal fee and buy a mandatory resort resale that comes with star options. But buy wisely, staroptions are less depending on the season you buy but the maint fees are the same for all deeded unit sizes.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Again it is adequate for 2 but there is no way 4 people would be comfortable here even if the other 2 where kids. The inability to fry some eggs is the biggest draw back in my book. Since we just ended day 2 asking for an alternative room is not in the plans.

We were given a similar unit a few years ago after Christmas. No unit to move to. I called front desk and they had housekeeping bring over an electric portable cooktop.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We went to a presentation and the sales guy told us the same. Only have 2 days left so we choose not to make the request, good to know though.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Ken555 picture of the kitchen is spot on.

The bath has a whirlpool tub but it t is only deeper than a regular tub not like the floor plan pic posted above. Which only makes it harder to shower in, in my opinion, there is a handicap bar to help the in and out though.

I don't think the bed is a king either. We have a Cal king in SoCal, and a queen is NoCal and it seems to be a queen with walking room around the bed and a very small closet.

They must be including the balcony in the 500 sq feet. Our apartment in NoCal is 500 square feet and other than the bathroom is definitely bigger than the space here.

People with mobility issues should also be aware there is no elevator if your on the second floor. I was warned but didn't request a first floor because my spouse's preference is not to be on the ground floor.
Here is a link to photos that I took at a visit during 2013. https://www.flickr.com/photos/13281660@N05/sets/72157634238116811/with/9096460385/ They show the two burner cooktop in my photos - but it is interesting to know that there are some units without the cooktop and that you may be able to request and move to another unit. I agree that the bed looks like a queen (although in reviewing the posts, I thought it was a king when I toured the unit. Who knows?) I also agree that it would be very cramped for more than two, even if the other two are kids.