• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puppies

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Seven and a half weeks old. Jeez it’s a whirlwind of activity.

This weekend we introduced car rides and did our first socialization with children. I finally have some enthusiasm for the dish of puppy food, which gives me more to work with from a training perspective. I can’t believe mama’s still letting her nurse, little Smoke has some sharp teeth!

She is now a Bitosaurus Rex. Plays like the Tasmanian Devil. Yeah she looks sweet in the pic, but she’s got a mean snarl-lunge-bite! Not with humans of course- I’m talking about while play with Auntie.

She got her first vaccine on Thursday, so we will be able to start getting out in the world by the end of next weekend.
7EB1FA41-3A7F-4651-995E-15EEB250B295.jpeg

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Oh my heart!!! Smoke is so adorable!!!! Thanks for making my Monday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
She is adorable. I'd love to send my almost 9 year old yorkie to you for training. She still thinks she's a puppy!! Since we moved to Florida, so in our house she is VERY defensive and protective of me. If you came in she would nip at you. Out in public she is an angel. My vet and the groomer we use can't believe that she is anything but a sweetheart. Truly Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’m smiling with pride here. She’s gorgeous! And listen to you - the proud grandma. :) Really good to hear all of you are doing so well. Thanks for sharing this journey.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
She's just precious!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Well today was the first day I’ve slept 8 uninterrupted hours since Smoke was born on April 14. She slept all night in her pen and/or crate without needing anything. Also- the litterbox was clean this morning, she held it all night!

Smokey will turn 10 weeks old on Wednesday. Last weekend we started trips outside the home to various novel environments and to meet safe dogs. She has spent time with adult dogs- a dachshund, a lab, and a giant lab mix. So far, her behavior has been great (sometimes singleton pups are obnoxious towards other dogs because their mama is too tolerant with them). Still looking for some puppies to play with, I have a few leads.

She‘s been to a couple of different parks, a coffee shop, the beach, “hiking” in the mountains, and yesterday I took her on her first solo excursion (ie without the adult dogs) to the outdoor area of our local mall. Once she was used to seeing people from afar, I started giving folks treats to give her. Lol the lightbulb went off in her head that random people might give her a treat, so she started bounding up to mall-goers. She was pretty well received- definitely smile-inducing to have a dachshund puppy run up to you at the mall. So cute.

Heres a pic of her manding for a treat in my pocket this morning. I mentioned manding earlier in this thread. Basically- you train the dog to sit as a polite way to request something from you. Maybe they want a treat, or a toy you have, or to get out of their pen, or to sit on your lap. The way to ask is to sit, not jump on the person (which is what dogs naturally do). Reasonable requests are usually accommodated. Of course she still jumps on us plenty, she’s a baby. It’s a work in progress.

4DE5E86A-7858-46D3-843D-C19EE78BFB33.jpeg

Heres my favorite overall pic of her, I think she is around 8 weeks old in this one:

1B91A4F9-1BBE-4B7F-AF78-339A7E051FE6.jpeg

PS It was a great morning- not only did my puppy sleep through the night and demonstrate polite behavior, I was able to EPlus my Cabo week for a Westin Kaanapali week for next May!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Well today was the first day I’ve slept 8 uninterrupted hours since Smoke was born on April 14. She slept all night in her pen and/or crate without needing anything. Also- the litterbox was clean this morning, she held it all night!

Smokey will turn 10 weeks old on Wednesday. Last weekend we started trips outside the home to various novel environments and to meet safe dogs. She has spent time with adult dogs- a dachshund, a lab, and a giant lab mix. So far, her behavior has been great (sometimes singleton pups are obnoxious towards other dogs because their mama is too tolerant with them). Still looking for some puppies to play with, I have a few leads.

She‘s been to a couple of different parks, a coffee shop, the beach, “hiking” in the mountains, and yesterday I took her on her first solo excursion (ie without the adult dogs) to the outdoor area of our local mall. Once she was used to seeing people from afar, I started giving folks treats to give her. Lol the lightbulb went off in her head that random people might give her a treat, so she started bounding up to mall-goers. She was pretty well received- definitely smile-inducing to have a dachshund puppy run up to you at the mall. So cute.

Heres a pic of her manding for a treat in my pocket this morning. I mentioned manding earlier in this thread. Basically- you train the dog to sit as a polite way to request something from you. Maybe they want a treat, or a toy you have, or to get out of their pen, or to sit on your lap. The way to ask is to sit, not jump on the person (which is what dogs naturally do). Reasonable requests are usually accommodated. Of course she still jumps on us plenty, she’s a baby. It’s a work in progress.

View attachment 36814

Heres my favorite overall pic of her, I think she is around 8 weeks old in this one:

View attachment 36815

PS It was a great morning- not only did my puppy sleep through the night and demonstrate polite behavior, I was able to EPlus my Cabo week for a Westin Kaanapali week for next May!
Hi Heathpack,

Thanks for sharing! Smoke is part of your Tug Family too. The pics are wonderful!

Richard

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
This might be my favorite recent thread on TUG! Glad to hear Smoke is doing so well and you got some sleep and a great eplus! Bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
14 weeks. I made my first pass at stripping her coat, only to find there appears to be a red dachshund under that dark overlay. Whoops, I registered her as a different coat color called wild boar. I’m going to gene test her for coat color before I get in touch with the AKC.

Shes doing great. She knows sit, down, come (sort of), touch, and stand (really more of a freeze, which is the prelim step to stacking, which is the ”show dog pose”). She walks on a leash pretty well. We’ve started closing the crate at night for 6 hours at a stretch- no accidents so far! She’s about 70% housebroken.

070A91C7-93AF-463E-8676-DD1C5A3FE26D.jpeg

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
What a cutie!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Here’s Smoke’s tricks back when she was 11 weeks old. She’s way smarter now!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
We work a lot of building emotional resiliency. When she was a little baby, we‘d do startle and recovery exercises. I take her somewhere every day and encourage her to interact with people, the environment, dogs I know to be friendly, etc. Huge amount of work.

But here’s an example of what we’re working towards: we took her to the beach and she was exploring the rocks. She didn’t really understand how the wave action worked, until her feet got flooded by a little surge of water. Look at that! No panic. She takes it in stride. So proud of her. She was around 12 weeks old in this video.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm grinning ear to ear. You're both doing so well! Smoke is going to be striking.

How is Phoenix handling the weaning? Not still nursing, I hope?

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I'm grinning ear to ear. You're both doing so well! Smoke is going to be striking.

How is Phoenix handling the weaning? Not still nursing, I hope?

Dave

Essentially no more nursing, Every now and then Smoke makes a dive for a teat but then aborts her attempt on her own.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Stacking practice. Here’s a video from a few days ago. You can see in the video that she’s trained to freeze, keeping her attention on my finger. We’re working on being able to move her feet, so that I can get her placed into the perfect show dog pose. In the video, I’m only able to move one paw. But as of today, I can almost always move two paws without her losing focus. Sometimes 3!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Smoke is 19 weeks old now. She’s pretty well housebroken, and is sweet and lovely when she’s not being terrible. Tomorrow she learns how to go on vacation- we are taking a trip up the central California Coast. Gotta start em young! Pro tip- just say she’s a service dog, and you can stay anywhere! I’m kidding. We’ve rented pet friendly air BnBs. All the property owners know we are coming with three dogs.

44CE9051-E4D8-4C2D-AB2D-D7ED11E48856.jpeg

Yesterday I took her to the park and we saw some rabbits. One was sitting by the brambles, so once he hopped off, I put Smoke down on the rabbit scent. This was her reaction! A little bit excited, don’t you think?! At the end of the video, she gets herself pointed in the direction of the rabbits escape.

In this video, we are working on everybody being in the same place at the same time but no one biting anyone. Yes, it’s chaos a lot of the time!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They're beautiful! Safe travels!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What a star! Great progress. You're collectively doing really great. Very happy for all of you. :thumbup:

I hope you plan to write a book about all this. Remember when you were first thinking about whether to breed Phoenix? Seems like years ago. Add in everything that's happened since then, and all you've experienced and learned together. You have tremendous experience to offer others about all of this.

Have a great vacation!

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Have a nice vacation, thanks for keeping us updated with Phoenix and Smoke.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
@Passepartout post reminded me to post this pic of little Smoke. Our vacation went very well. Smoke was a great traveller. No accidents in the rental houses and she had tons of fun. We took her out to lunch with us one day and she was the best behaved critter on the patio, including the human children, lol.

Its exhausting managing a 5 month old puppy. But fun too.

Our rental house in Cambria was right near the beach and there was a briar patch at the marshy end of the beach. The briar patch was full of RABBITS! So most days Smoke got to do a little rabbit work. It was awesome.

One day she took a break from rabbit to watch the ducks swimming. She is getting to be huge.

8F493D52-A5CA-4C3F-98F1-0C93B51AF7CE.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I warned you - parenting a puppy is exhausting work. :D

I'm glad she's turning out so nice. You've earned this.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She has gotten big! Fantastic that she travels so well.

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
As my niece would say, Totz Adorbz!