• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

protected incase of cancellations

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge,

I recieved an advertizing email regarding some promotion RCI is running. What is this message regarding cancellations about?

In the advertizing email there was a message stating:
"You've just confirmed a vacation to SARASOTA SANDS. To ensure your vacation is protected in the event of a cancellation, contact an RCI Guide at 1-800-338-7777. "

Scott

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott,

I haven't seen this particular message. It sounds like an invitation to add Vacation Protection. Was there a reference number? If you'd like the Communications Team to verify the offer, they can find it using your account. Just send an e-mail to feedback@rci.com with TUG in the subject line.

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would it be cancelled?

Madge,

Why would a confirmed reservation be cancelled? We have paid for it. Will it be cancelled if I do not purchase this additional protection? I thought travel insurance was in the event 'we' the traveler couldn't make the trip. This makes it sound like I have to contact an RCI guide or risk cancellation.

Scott

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It may be protection against the resort cancelling you booking for some reason not covered by your own travel insurance. Normal travel insurance probably wouldn't cover loss of the exchange fee. If the resort cancels RCI will not refund the exchange fee.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott,

The protection could apply to a number of situations outlined by the vacation protection product offered by BerkelyCare. See more here.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Leturno said:
Madge,

Why would a confirmed reservation be cancelled? We have paid for it. Will it be cancelled if I do not purchase this additional protection? I thought travel insurance was in the event 'we' the traveler couldn't make the trip. This makes it sound like I have to contact an RCI guide or risk cancellation.

Scott

The way I read the Berkely/RCI policy you will NOT receive any benefits if RCI, or the resort, decide to cancel your visit because the resort is overbooked or the owner of the week wants it back. The cancellation must be because of either a., b., c., or d. (see below). You are at RCI's mercy to find you a replacement vacation.

Vacation Cancellation/Interruption - In the event You are prevented from using Your Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip due to a covered reason (as defined below).

Covered Reason shall mean: (a) You, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family member suffers an Accidental Injury, Sickness, or death; or (b) You or Your Traveling Companion (i) is hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, or subpoenaed; (ii) has a home made uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster; or (iii) is directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to departure for the Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip; or (c) the Property at which you are scheduled to stay is made uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster; or (d) the Common Carrier is unable to provide service to Your Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip destination due to a natural disaster at your Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip destination, the Insurer will pay benefits up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Coverages for:

(a) Vacation Cancellation - Up to $500 Reimbursement of non-refundable Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip fees or cost; and/or Guest fee due to a Covered Reason. Reimbursement of annual time-share Maintenance Charges if your deposit is made ineligible by RCI due to a natural disaster cancellation.

(b) Vacation Interruption - Up to $500 for the unused portion of the confirmed Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip and/or the Common Carrier fee paid will be provided, less the value of applied credit from an unused travel ticket, to return home.

Special Conditions: In the event of a claim, the Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip must first be cancelled with RCI, then BerkelyCare should be contacted as soon as possible. The Insurer will not pay benefits for any additional charges incurred that would not have been charged had You notified RCI and BerkelyCare as soon as reasonably possible. An eligible Covered Reason for Accidental Injury or Sickness must first manifest itself and/or You must be treated by a Physician within thirty (30) days of the Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip for coverage to be afforded under this Plan.

PLEASE NOTE: Benefits will not be refunded due to insolvency of any company. The above benefits are subject to the Pre-Existing Condition limitation and other detailed Exclusions listed hereunder. Non-medical Covered Reasons for cancellation or interruption of Your Exchange and/or Bonus Vacation trip must first occur after Your Vacation Protection Plan fee has been received by RCI.

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I still do not see how RCI wants to protect me from cancellations? I am not even sure why RCI brought it up, it sounds like we are on our own if the resort or RCI decide to cancel the reservation. It sounds like we have little or no recourse.

I will research this outside this thread.

Thanks again
Scott

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott,

RCI has decided to discontinue its partnership with BerkelyCare and has created a new product completely tailored to the RCI exchange program. The name of our new product is Cancellation Protection. This may not have been the product that was featured in the e-mail you received; however, it is the current offering. If you can still find the e-mail you received, would you please forward it to feedback@rci.com and enter TUG - Cancellation Protection in the subject line? I'd like to verify which program was being offered.

Cancellation Protection may be purchased up to 30 days past the date of confirmation or up to 14 days before the travel date, whichever occurs first. You may request a refund up to 14 days after it is purchased; however, no refunds will be given if it is cancelled 14 days or less from the travel start date.

The cost of Cancellation Protection is $49 USD, and it will apply to cancellations made for any reason to one-for-one exchanges. Upon cancellation, the purchasers' deposited weeks receive full restoration of Trading Power, and a $49 USD exchange credit is posted to the RCI accounts. The original exchange fees are not reimbursed under the plan.

Cancellation Protection is not available for Extra Vacations, Last Call, or any other vacation that does not require a deposited week. A significant benefit of this program is the restoration of Trading Power, which would not apply to Extra Vacations.

Since we no longer need to partner with an insurance provider, this product should soon be available to Canadian members as well. It is administered in-house and provided specifically to RCI members. While initially this offer is only available to RCI Weeks members, it will be available to Points members in some form in the near future.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Madge said:
The original exchange fees are not reimbursed under the plan.

The obvious question is 'Why are the original exchange fees not reimbursed when the plan is run entirely in house by RCI?' From a customer viewpoint the exchange fee is a major element of the cost. Would it not have made sense for the insurance to have been of slightly higher cost and to include this element?

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge, what about weeks we have already purchased insurance for? Are we still covered with Berkely insurance on those?
Thanks,
Liz

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge said:
Scott,

RCI has decided to discontinue its partnership with BerkelyCare and has created a new product completely tailored to the RCI exchange program. The name of our new product is Cancellation Protection.

... however, no refunds will be given if it is cancelled 14 days or less from the travel start date.

... Upon cancellation, the purchasers' deposited weeks receive full restoration of Trading Power, and a $49 USD exchange credit is posted to the RCI accounts. The original exchange fees are not reimbursed under the plan.

Cancellation Protection is not available for Extra Vacations, Last Call, or any other vacation that does not require a deposited week. A significant benefit of this program is the restoration of Trading Power, which would not apply to Extra Vacations.

Madge,

I see I was not clear in my original posts. My weeks that RCI was offering to protect were all Extra Vacation weeks, which there is obviously no protection for.

I am trying hard not to stress about this and just hope that my parents vacation is not interupted because RCI decides to cancel on us. I don't know which would be the bigger point of upset, the fact that a confirmed and paid for reservation might be cancelled for any reason or the fact that RCI would keep all the money and make no effort to make right on the cancellation.

I thank you for your follow through on this and keeping us all informed on these very scary points in RCI's policies to us it's paying members. I will just have to keep this in mind for the future and just hope for the best now.

Scott

randkb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Annual Fee

Madge,

In the past rather than pay insurance per trip, there was an annual fee that covered all trips. Will this be available now that RCI is offering its own insurance? Whan do you expect it will be available to Canadians?

Thanks, in advance, for the info.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keitht said:
The obvious question is 'Why are the original exchange fees not reimbursed when the plan is run entirely in house by RCI?' From a customer viewpoint the exchange fee is a major element of the cost. Would it not have made sense for the insurance to have been of slightly higher cost and to include this element?
Keitht,

It was determined that this may not be cost effective for us. However, as the program gains its footing and we can review our experience with it, we may be able to make some adjustments. Because this is an in-house program as you say, RCI must work to keep it viable.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Liz Wolf-Spada said:
Madge, what about weeks we have already purchased insurance for? Are we still covered with Berkely insurance on those?
Thanks,
Liz
Liz,

All exchanges for which the BerkelyCare product was purchased will be covered as before by BerkelyCare.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Leturno said:
Madge,

My weeks that RCI was offering to protect were all Extra Vacation weeks, which there is obviously no protection for.
Scott,

From what I've come to understand, the e-mail you received was for the previous BerkelyCare product. I do see how the timing was unfortunate here.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
randkb said:
Madge,

In the past rather than pay insurance per trip, there was an annual fee that covered all trips. Will this be available now that RCI is offering its own insurance? Whan do you expect it will be available to Canadians?

Thanks, in advance, for the info.
randkb,

We are not looking seriously at an annual product for the time being. However, AVP was very much appreciated by our members, so hopefully there will be something like it down the road that we can offer again.

islandgirl

Reaction score
Exchange Fees Coverage

I know that there is a timeshare protection product in the market that will not only cover exchange fees but maintenance fees too along with a lot of other cool stuff. This is a really good product and you can get it by going to www.VacationGuard.com. VacationGuard is designed specifically for timeshare owners. Check it out!

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
islandgirl,

I am aware of this product as well. I recommended it in this thread for Canadian members; however, it now may have broader uses for both U.S. and Canadian timeshare exchange travelers.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge,

I'm curious about this cancellation insurance.
Is this in effect for any reason up until checkin date?

So I could have a vacation booked for 6/8/07 , I buy this protection and I can cancel the day before for any reason? My dog is sick?

Also, what happens if my original week was about to expire. Like on 6/10/07? I'm guessing this wouldn't be a good option?

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
CaliDave,

See my responses below:
CaliDave said:
Madge,

I'm curious about this cancellation insurance.
Is this in effect for any reason up until checkin date? Yes.

So I could have a vacation booked for 6/8/07 , I buy this protection and I can cancel the day before for any reason? My dog is sick? Yep.

Also, what happens if my original week was about to expire. Like on 6/10/07? I'm guessing this wouldn't be a good option? You would still have the option to purchase an extension ($59 USD/$70 CAD for 3 months and $99 USD/$118 CAD for 6 months.)