• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presentation so full of lies it was comical!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Yes but the maintenance fee is not the redemption value of what you could get with the points whereas that is what you are using for Bonvoy. They are not comparable.
I agree with you. If one did a canvass of what value you can get with an Abound point ( which can equate to far more than .70), it would be a fair comparison.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I agree about the Bonvoy points. I look at how much the acquisition cost will be. What one does with it after that is up to the individual and getting value from your acquisition or not. Correct me if I am wrong but one cannot rent Bonvoy points.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree about the Bonvoy points. I look at how much the acquisition cost will be. What one does with it after that is up to the individual and getting value from your acquisition or not. Correct me if I am wrong but one cannot rent Bonvoy points.
One CAN pay to receive Bonvoy points, which once used don't come back again the next year. And one CAN pay to receive Abound points (via renting from another owner), which once used don't come back again the next year. And like Bonvoy points, how one uses it and the value gained from that acquisition of Abound points is up to the individual.

From my understanding, the going rate for acquiring one-time use Abound points (via renting) is approximately $0.70/point, similar to the MFs for trust points. So one could use that as the basis for acquiring Abound points to compare to the cost for acquiring similarly one-time use Bonvoy points purchased directly from Marriott.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
I agree with you. If one did a canvass of what value you can get with an Abound point ( which can equate to far more than .70), it would be a fair comparison.
Indeed. For example, you can book the week of Dec 15-22 at Marriott Monarch for 550 Abound points at a cost of $385 (@ .70 pp). When you book the same week on Marriott.com, the retail cost with taxes and fees is $1,880. That's quite a significant value versus cost!

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to a 915 presentation at Ocean Watch this morning and my goodness. The lies this guy told were something else. I mean absolutely comically bad!!

Telling me all about the new vacation clubs “Mr. Marriott” bought (for half a billion dollars) in St. Croix, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, etc, etc.

O and “Mr. Marriott” is writing big checks to get brand new Pulse locations built in New Orleans, Chicago, Seattle, Dallas, San Antonio.

The new Charleston location is being built on a site where a historic building burned down and Mr. Marriott swooped right in with a big check to buy it and get all the permits and everything approved so quickly they are already pouring cement and it will be fully open by next year!

And they supposedly bought Hard Rock Vacation Club and they are going to offer All Inclusive Timeshare stays there along with new All Inclusive Westin vacation clubs all over Mexico.
And he told us all about how he does seminars for owners on how to make money renting out their ownerships so they don’t have to pay any maintenance fees. And he hasn’t paid any maintenance fees in his over 30 years of owning Marriott.

the Welk Resort that “Mr. Marriott” bought in San Diego is the #1 rated beach resort in the country! (Except you know the part where that resort isn’t even close to being located on a beach!!)

All the fabulous Marriott inventory is being pulled from Interval. Even though they own it and paid dearly for it- Marriott didn’t really want it. They are so big their owners don’t need to exchange anymore with all these other fabulous options coming online.

And all this new inventory is going to be bookable online with points by the end of June- but as soon as that happens points price is going up to $20/pt. (Westin and the other new resorts are already charging $24/pt so Marriott needs to catch up ASAP!)

He realized very quickly I wasn’t buying his BS and sent in the encore package lady.

In and out in less than 45 minutes! Very easy money on a cloudy morning!!
We went through one years ago in St Thomas. (We are owners). The guy was
charming up until we said thanks but no. He got up and just left the room, at which point he tried to renege on the “award” we were promised for sitting through his spiel. I mentioned his lack of professionalism to another salesperson who said, “We get that complaint about him all the time. But, he closes over two million dollars in sales every year.” And, there you have it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This discussion reminds me that there are always multiple ways to view valuation of such entities. For abound points, it's reasonable to use the cost one would have paid to rent them OR other costs to get the same item such as a discounted cash options, private rental, even II getaway. For Bonvoy points it's likely best to figure the value of the points one already has which depends in part of usage. IMO 0.8¢ PP is reasonable but some can get slightly more in some situations depending on usage.