• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Preferred check in

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a stay at an MVC resort coming up in 2 weeks. A week ago I got an email from “Jeremy“ saying we would be getting a preferred check in experience- This would be in a special area with wine and cheese for valued owners ( we are MVC owners but not at this resort). The email asked for a response giving our arrival time. I responded I didn’t need preferred check in and did not want an update/ sales meeting.
I just got a call from Jeremy again saying I had preferred check in and asking arrival time. I again said I didn’t want a meeting, didn’t need tickets, etc. He said no no, this is just a special welcome for their valued owners.
Really? Anyone had this and know what their game is? Just a little suspicious of things like this. Thanks.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does sound nice. And maybe it’s just being nice. But we have been offered “updates” on all the new features of MVC and they have been full press sales.
Grande Vista. We are actually going for a business conference so truly don’t need park tickets etc.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be where they try to get you to sign up for a sales pitch. But I would take their wine and cheese, check-in, and then skedaddle to the room.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got the same offer. We provided the requested information, being curious as to what this is really all about. We have no interest in tickets or a presentation or anything else, and can easily say no. We won't be checking in for a week, but will post our experience here after we do.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got the same offer. We provided the requested information, being curious as to what this is really all about. We have no interest in tickets or a presentation or anything else, and can easily say no. We won't be checking in for a week, but will post our experience here after we do.
Thank you.
Are you at Grande Vista too?
I’m wondering if it’s more concierge selling tickets type of thing.
We go in 2 weeks so I look forward to hearing your experience.

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We had an owners reception at Cypress Harbour in July. No sales pressure just wine and cheese and meeting the resort leadership team.

I think they had one of those when we stayed at MGV but we couldn't go because of scheduling. Remember the Grande Vista sales center isn't in the resort, so as long as you don't have to board a bus or drive somewhere you'll be fine!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had an owners reception at Cypress Harbour in July. No sales pressure just wine and cheese and meeting the resort leadership team.

I think they had one of those when we stayed at MGV but we couldn't go because of scheduling. Remember the Grande Vista sales center isn't in the resort, so as long as you don't have to board a bus or drive somewhere you'll be fine!

I’ve been to owner receptions too.
This is called preferred check in.
That was the subject line of the email and what I was told on the phone call too.
It‘s right when we arrive- instead of going to the front desk we go to a room to the left.
I’m not “afraid” of a sales pitch- I’m perfectly fine with saying no.
I’m just curious what this is and was hoping someone who had been could clue me in.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me at Monarch at the new sales center. "Come here first to get your passes and a special gift and a champagne welcome". "Make sure you bring your wife." Very much a sales tactic to get me to sign up for a presentation. My wife wasn't feeling well so I went in to get my goodies and along I went. They were pushy trying to get us to sign up for a presentation, but I simply said I wasn't interested.

bbts

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a recent stay at Grande Vista and our check-in received the "preferred" treatment. For us, it did not involve a sales presentation. They have a room adjacent to the lobby area where owners (not sure at what level) are directed, you sit down, are offered a beverage, and they provide resort information and check in. Comparable to check-in at a high-end hotel. It was a very nice touch, and when I asked, they explained that Grande Vista is testing this concept and if successful, it will be introduced at other MVC properties. I do hope they roll it out elsewhere.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a recent stay at Grande Vista and our check-in received the "preferred" treatment. For us, it did not involve a sales presentation. They have a room adjacent to the lobby area where owners (not sure at what level) are directed, you sit down, are offered a beverage, and they provide resort information and check in. Comparable to check-in at a high-end hotel. It was a very nice touch, and when I asked, they explained that Grande Vista is testing this concept and if successful, it will be introduced at other MVC properties. I do hope they roll it out elsewhere.
Thank you bbts! That’s just the info I was looking for.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I guess I'm always up for a free drink at check in time, lol. :banana::banana:

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
We have a stay at an MVC resort coming up in 2 weeks. A week ago I got an email from “Jeremy“ saying we would be getting a preferred check in experience- This would be in a special area with wine and cheese for valued owners ( we are MVC owners but not at this resort). The email asked for a response giving our arrival time. I responded I didn’t need preferred check in and did not want an update/ sales meeting.
I just got a call from Jeremy again saying I had preferred check in and asking arrival time. I again said I didn’t want a meeting, didn’t need tickets, etc. He said no no, this is just a special welcome for their valued owners.
Really? Anyone had this and know what their game is? Just a little suspicious of things like this. Thanks.

Happening here on Monday on the big island, free Kona coffee! No sales pitch. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
THey have something similar for Vistana owners at Sheraton Vistana Villages. No wine or cheese, but some light snacks and a soda fountain. The reps there do try to get you to sign up for a sales presentation, but no different than any other timeshare we have visited. They always try to get you to sign up for a sales presentation.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
We were at Grande Vista over Thanksgiving, and had a similar call. Our checkin went like this. We went to the check-in desk, spent the 5 minutes getting our keys, villa location, etc. Then, they sent us over to the "concierge desk". There, we had to wait our turn, then they tried to sell us tickets, tell us about things going on, give us the owners discount card, and try to get us to go to a presentation. It took a total of about 15 minutes at this desk, including the waiting. There was nothing "preferred" about it. It's just what they call it. I don't think they care whether you agree to do the preferred check-in or not, this is just their process. I'd imagine the arrival time question is more important to them, so they can staff the desk appropriately.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Grande Vista over Thanksgiving, and had a similar call. Our checkin went like this. We went to the check-in desk, spent the 5 minutes getting our keys, villa location, etc. Then, they sent us over to the "concierge desk". There, we had to wait our turn, then they tried to sell us tickets, tell us about things going on, give us the owners discount card, and try to get us to go to a presentation. It took a total of about 15 minutes at this desk, including the waiting. There was nothing "preferred" about it. It's just what they call it. I don't think they care whether you agree to do the preferred check-in or not, this is just their process. I'd imagine the arrival time question is more important to them, so they can staff the desk appropriately.

I was told not to go to the front desk but instead into the room at left. Maybe they are trying out different tactics. I’ll have some extra cheese and crackers in your honor at our check in- Go Sox!

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a new sales pitch. IMHO.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Ah, that room was sort of closed when we arrived. There was sort of like a hostess desk by the door that said, something like, please go to the front desk. The room was there, but nobody was in it, just some small snacks and coffee. Good luck and have fun on your trip! Yes, Go Sox!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista

That is their 'standard' checkin process... not preferred.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I was told not to go to the front desk but instead into the room at left. Maybe they are trying out different tactics. I’ll have some extra cheese and crackers in your honor at our check in- Go Sox!

We were at Grande Vista in October and got the preferred check in call. Unfortunately due to our late night arrival after a delayed flight from NYC we got there at midnight and checked in at the regular desk. We went back the next day to the preferred check in area where we were offered wine, cheese and snacks and given free wrist bracelets for room keys (usually sold at the front desk).
We were then offered to attend a 75 min presentation in exchange for $300 of VIsA gift cards. We were given the gift cards right away (no sell job for park tickets) and used them for a couple of very nice dinners in Orlando. A couple of days later we attended the sales presentation which was fine, no pressure and about an hour. I felt it was worth our time.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Grande Vista in October and got the preferred check in call. Unfortunately due to our late night arrival after a delayed flight from NYC we got there at midnight and checked in at the regular desk. We went back the next day to the preferred check in area where we were offered wine, cheese and snacks and given free wrist bracelets for room keys (usually sold at the front desk).
We were then offered to attend a 75 min presentation in exchange for $300 of VIsA gift cards. We were given the gift cards right away (no sell job for park tickets) and used them for a couple of very nice dinners in Orlando. A couple of days later we attended the sales presentation which was fine, no pressure and about an hour. I felt it was worth our time.

Thank you for sharing your experience- appreciate it!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update since I have now experienced preferred check in.
We were given a green sheet of paper that said preferred at the gatehouse and when we arrive to check in we were taken to a desk in the small room to left of the front door and offered drinks ( water, wine).
Jeremy came over and said he would get us checked in since we were valued owners.
Lots of praise and thank you’s for loyalty - blah blah. He said they have been doing this preferred check in for about 4 months.
They gave us the owner discount card and another discount pamphlet due to the preferred status.
Then of course the pitch to attend the update. We were offered a $300 Visa card that they would give us upfront and then a no more than 75 minute update on all the exciting marriott happenings including now being able to book Sheraton etc, etc.
We are here for my spouse to attend business meetings so this was a no- the timing wouldn’t work. I did ask why I couldn’t just attend for the update ( even without the gift) and he said they needed both of us if we were to purchase.
I commented that the update was a sales pitch and he said yeah that’s always our hope but it would be low pressure.
If we had checked in during a busy time it might have been nice to skip the line and get right in.
As it was there was no benefit to the preferred and it just seemed kind of corny and desperate- it must be really that hard to get owners to attend “updates”- maybe because we know they are sales pitches!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

By the way there is now a sales center at Grande Vista.

And tennis courts are closed for renovation- they are booking courts at Cypress.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
By the way there is now a sales center at Grande Vista.

And tennis courts are closed for renovation- they are booking courts at Cypress.
As far as I know, the sales center at the front entrance of Grande Vista has always been there. I am not aware of a sale center inside the actual resort.