• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Post your...I'm still traveling in March here

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
......... In addition, we are supposed to close on a house in about a week. It is too late to cancel without losing our deposit. This is a substantial loss (I am embarrassed to say how much) but I can’t see getting into a bigger mortgage and putting down a substantial down payment - this is the SF Bay Area so you can only imagine how expensive this house is. I am scared to move forward with all the bad economic news ......
Hi TravelTime ,
My suggestion on the - “bigger mortgage “ is figure out what your monthly payment will be under the
“ new normal” interest rates . If your monthly cost is similar - it may make sense to complete the purchase
versus forfeiting the deposit .

Do a pro / con evaluation - and consider timelines . Depending on the numbers it could make sense to go forward
even if you end up “downsizing “ in 1 -2 years due to your own personal financial evaluation going forward .

I hope this helps

Reactions: Xan

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
We are set to travel to Aruba, from Boston JetBlue 3/29-4/5. Marriott Surf Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I was going to cancel trip yesterday, then Aruba closed entry to ALL int’l passengers anyway. staying home makes better sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
If public health tells us all to stay home, that is what we should do. We are not there yet.

I note I am quoting myself now. BUT it appears were are there now. In my home province, our public health officials are advising people to stay at home unless you are an essential worker. Bars and restraunts are closed for dine in.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
All of those Maui exchanges and the low airfares are sure tempting me. But I won't go because we have some remodeling projects.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I knew we weren't going, but Palm Springs just implemented shelter in place so I cancelled April 5-9. Luckily Worldmark will automatically refund points, even those that would normally be non- cancelable this close to check in.

Reactions: Xan

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Canceled a May 5-12 week at Raintree PV yesterday. Not so much about CV in PV, mostly about possible cross border travel restrictions being applied later by either the USA or Mexico .

No problem about refunding the points with no penalty.

Cheers

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of people don’t know what to think. Discussing this stuff in any kind of “public” venue is important. It helps to formulate opinions of those who are open to change. Applying social pressure or “judging” others is appropriate if their behavior is a danger to others.

I can’t say what local authorities are saying where @CoSkier lives (since I don’t know where he lives). But here’s what the CDC says: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-in-the-us.html

Pretty much what I’ve said in this thread except I’ve added more discussion of consequences than the CDC has.

My point in most of my conversation to others about this is to push the concept that we all need a paradigm shift with the disease. Look out for ourselves but even more so for our community and society.

I kind of disagree with what you wrote regarding judging the behavior of others - unless in context of OP asking for opinions to be expressed. One of the lovely things about the Tug lounge is the opportunity to express ourselves. If one of more people decide their point of view is the correct one, then any other is considered 'wrong'.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I kind of disagree with what you wrote regarding judging the behavior of others - unless in context of OP asking for opinions to be expressed. One of the lovely things about the Tug lounge is the opportunity to express ourselves. If one of more people decide their point of view is the correct one, then any other is considered 'wrong'.

I’m ok with you disagreeing with me, and I understand the point you are making.

But I think it’s a very dangerous argument being made by people who want to minimize the risk of this virus. Dangerous and irresponsible. When you leave dangerous and irresponsible arguments unanswered, they start to seem plausible to people. Lots of people don’t know what to think about this virus and how to react. I personally think there’s been some useful and interesting discussion in the past few days, stuff that has helped people decide how they will act.

Worth a little conflict IMO. Did reading the various threads help you formulate an opinion as to whether you should travel to pet sit, for example?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
History will not look kindly on those that still choose to travel for leisure.
Unfortunately the USA is founded on individual freedoms, so China has the advantage in controlling citizens. People in USA (politicians, media, citizens) will do what they want and history will simply say yup they had the right.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
I cancelled a March trip to NY and Aruba. The apartment complex we live in has cancelled all events and activities. They have closed the clubhouse, gym and pool. None of us are happy but we understand the reason why it’s necessary. A small group of us are traveling to Orlando (no Disney) in early May. We haven’t cancelled yet and waiting to see.

geekette

Reaction score
Unfortunately the USA is founded on individual freedoms, so China has the advantage in controlling citizens. People in USA (politicians, media, citizens) will do what they want and history will simply say yup they had the right.
I was listening to a reporter yesterday that was saying you might want to be deciding who you want to ride this out with NOW and get there, that travel among states may become restricted very soon. Hunker for months.

There are some that think we will see citizens erecting barricades between states. Like, we knocked it out, we're healthy, you stay out.

Seems extreme and unthinkable, but, ya know, People.

I'm in Indy and actually think we may be overflow for other states due to our mass of hospital systems, reasonably dense population, plenty of old farmland and vacant buildings, plus fast and easy access from a lot of nearby cities (like Chicago). The Chicago/Indy Amtrack could be the sick train. As a convention city, we have a lot of hotels, some could be quarantine zones or visiting doctor space, etc. this would be the only reason I see to bail out hotels, which I do not otherwise see as critical infrastructure.

Not sure we know about re-infection but since this has become a State Run issue, states will monitor their citizens, their containment. closing borders aides in that data collection and spread control.

I've been pretty lucky in my life, I'm ok with giving up some freedoms for the greater good. I did not fight for those rights, they were there for me when I was born. I can't bear the thought of losing a lot of veterans in this.

geekette

Reaction score
...But I think it’s a very dangerous argument being made by people who want to minimize the risk of this virus. Dangerous and irresponsible. When you leave dangerous and irresponsible arguments unanswered, they start to seem plausible to people. Lots of people don’t know what to think about this virus and how to react. I personally think there’s been some useful and interesting discussion in the past few days, stuff that has helped people decide how they will act....
I don't think that it is fully realized how vulnerable to this some people are. Like I didn't know much about diabetes until I married a diabetic, healthy families don't necessarily think about it. Many people don't get the flu shot and don't consider they may carry it to people that can't fight it, don't understand that it's not just run of the mill flu for some. The significant shortage of ventilators is a chilling thought.

I do agree, very useful discussion. I probably have the tv on too much but I flip around looking for doctors.

Eventually we will need a Homebound Therapy channel, helping us not go nuts. I did hear that one city has devoted a PBS station to kid school. smart!

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
I was listening to a reporter yesterday that was saying you might want to be deciding who you want to ride this out with NOW and get there, that travel among states may become restricted very soon. Hunker for months.

There are some that think we will see citizens erecting barricades between states. Like, we knocked it out, we're healthy, you stay out.

Seems extreme and unthinkable, but, ya know, People.

I'm in Indy and actually think we may be overflow for other states due to our mass of hospital systems, reasonably dense population, plenty of old farmland and vacant buildings, plus fast and easy access from a lot of nearby cities (like Chicago). The Chicago/Indy Amtrack could be the sick train. As a convention city, we have a lot of hotels, some could be quarantine zones or visiting doctor space, etc. this would be the only reason I see to bail out hotels, which I do not otherwise see as critical infrastructure.

Not sure we know about re-infection but since this has become a State Run issue, states will monitor their citizens, their containment. closing borders aides in that data collection and spread control.

I've been pretty lucky in my life, I'm ok with giving up some freedoms for the greater good. I did not fight for those rights, they were there for me when I was born. I can't bear the thought of losing a lot of veterans in this.
This is my worst case scenario. I'm deciding when to stop travelling and return home. Airlines will soon stop flying so thinking of driving from AZ. Not being able to cross state lines would screw me.

geekette

Reaction score
This is my worst case scenario. I'm deciding when to stop travelling and return home. Airlines will soon stop flying so thinking of driving from AZ. Not being able to cross state lines would screw me.
I find it unlikely and scary and not imminent. I am obviously not privvy to conversations among governors.

I don't know how many miles of inter-state border we have, but it is Significant, with plenty of folks living just on one side or the other. Mayors on both sides would have to agree on shared space, but I can't imagine enforcement. It would take martial law. Yeah, worst case, but in the realm of possible.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It would be sad if the US states shut down borders among the states. If we are all in this together, then keeping state borders open but enforcing "Shelter in Place" mandates would be the best show of strength.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be sad if the US states shut down borders among the states. If we are all in this together, then keeping state borders open but enforcing "Shelter in Place" mandates would be the best show of strength.
There are constitutional restrictions on any state's ability to do this. The Constitution provides generally for free passage of residents from one state to another. It would be difficult for a state to try to close its boundaries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Schools all closed here, and my grandson's daycare is closed also. Both his parents have to work, so I will drive over to babysit. I am afraid I will give something to him. However, he has been in daycare and out in the community (they all went to brunch and the stores today!). My other daughter said that they should be afraid of giving something to me! I am 60.
I think your other daughter is correct

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
We are tracking more like Italy. And that's scary. If we can't get people to socially distance ASAP, we're going to lose control if we haven't already. Yes, thankfully many recover. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was easy. Surely many of those people needed ventilators. And we could run out (like Italy). And thus the need to flatten the curve. If everyone would take it seriously, less lives will be lost.
That's exactly what my son keeps telling me. Every 3 days the number of cases double. And so far he's been right. We ARE right on track with Italy. Apparently they were not proactive and many people died. Maybe we still have time to change this. I hope so.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Canada/US border will be shut to all non essential travel tomorrow!
Yup. The world is shutting out USA tourists.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yup. The world is shutting out USA tourists.

The closure goes both ways I think. And how quickly things change. Just a day or so ago Canada closed its border, but not to U.S. citizens.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Issue is still going to be citizens residents are allowed to return home and infect others. Seems total shutdowns are needed unless it is really important.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Issue is still going to be citizens residents are allowed to return home and infect others. Seems total shutdowns are needed unless it is really important.
I agree and have decided to cut short and fly home tomorrow to Canada. No guarantee I'll make it as the closing of all airports and hotels in USA is imminent. The thing that finally scared me is being a tourist and having nowhere to stay except the street.

All flights to Eastern Canada were full this morning so i've booked flight to Vancouver. I booked timeshares in Whistler for my 14 day isolation so hoping they stay open and that after i can fly east.