• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POLL: For those of you who have adult children (over age 18), do you still regularly schedule family vacations together?

For those of you who have adult children, do you still regularly schedule family vacations together?

• Total voters

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
Our son used to work at WDW as a gardener, but is now in Miami finishing grad school in Landscape Architecture. Since we seldom go on weekends, he can't go with us. We'll take a short trip for maybe three or four weekday nights. Now we are talking about taking a trip to Yellowstone in the wintertime (not sure which winter) and he'd like to join us on that. We've done that trip twice before (one he was in utero and the second he was a Junior in HS). He went with us to Canada on two trips in recent years because we were able to make it fit with his breaks. He's been to Europe twice so far since he's been in Miami and heading there again later this month, but these were school trips, so we didn't go.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our two adult children have been happy to join us on vacation in Hawaii for a few years now. Because one is a student, we cover all expenses for both. Currently both have fairly flexible schedules, I suspect shared trips will lessen if/when that changes.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Exactly, renting a house is cheaper and better when combining 2 or 3 families on a vacation.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk
Not sure I get this or totally agree. We have a 3BR and a 4BR secured at the Wyndham Emerald Grande over Spring Break for ourselves, one daughter and SIL and their five kids and our son and his wife and two kids. We don’t want a house: we want a resort. Timesharing works great for us and we almost always have 9-15 people.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter, granddaughter and I traveled every Spring Break from the time my granddaughter was around 6 (now 18) until last year when they decided to go out to Colorado instead. This year they are going on a cruise. The same cruise I took them on two years ago. I was not invited on either trip nor told about their plans until I brought up ideas for our next Spring Break. My granddaughter is taking girlfriends and her mother is taking a long time friend. I wasn't sure how to take it when she told me that she couldn't go to a place she hadn't been before. I had taught her what, and how to, do it. They are now financially able to travel whereas in the past, I paid all expenses. It does hurt.
Yes, I would feel hurt to be left out.

avad88

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We always enjoyed a yearly family vacation, usually involving our timeshare exchanges to Disney, NY City, Las Vegas, etc when our 2 sons were in high school, college and newly married, but now it is too complicated. They both have young kids, live in different states, both parents work with limited vacation time, etc. We try for a long weekend at the beach each summer but even that is difficult. It doesn’t seem to be a priority for them like it is for us.

Bxian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stopped doing family vacations when the kids graduated from college. Too many scheduling issues. However, each of my 2 kids got a trip to Paris with mom when they turned 30. We used hotel point and FF miles to pay for the trip, and created lots of great memories. The one to one time was priceless. In January, our oldest (33) and my 25 year old niece joined us at the Charter Club in Florida, which is our home resort. My son and nephew could not get away, but it was nice to have part of the family with us. Daughter is chomping at the bit to take more trips with me once I semi-retire on 3/1. If I do solo trips with the kids, my husband usually convinces me that he should be able to grab a last minute rental week if he can find one at the Charter Club-his consolation prize for not going on the mother-daughter or mother-son trip :)

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that owners of timeshares just may be more likely to take a vacation with family just because of having the extra room. The offer of a 'no cost' or 'low cost' vacation is pretty hard to refuse, even for our kids :0) Two of our sons and their wives have made the trip to Hawaii with us. Hope the other two will be able to do it before we stop traveling. We have also gotten last minute trips on RCI and had the whole family go to Branson together. That was fun. I would definitely say that timeshare travel is more feasible and cost effective than how most people travel - using hotels, eating all meals out, etc. Just my two cents.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
In our case, trying to find common time on the calendar is next to impossible. So at present, our solution is to schedule vacations where we want to go, when we can go. Our reservations always include at least two bedrooms so if any of our kids can arrange to get to where we are vacationing, we have room.

Additionally, our kids have (on occasion) used some of our points to take a trip.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Not sure I get this or totally agree. We have a 3BR and a 4BR secured at the Wyndham Emerald Grande over Spring Break for ourselves, one daughter and SIL and their five kids and our son and his wife and two kids. We don’t want a house: we want a resort. Timesharing works great for us and we almost always have 9-15 people.
Cheaper surely but i shouldn't have said better as that is subjective. Same activities and accom-services, but privacy during an extended-family holiday = my cup of tea.

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Late June week in Ocean City, MD with younger daughter, SIL, and 3 kids and mid-August week same timeshare with older daughter, SIL, and 2 kids. That's why those timeshares still work for me. Gives the grandkids the same "second home" to visit every summer, just as I had with my grandparents' summer cottages in the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes. That was my goal in buying those timeshares. Creating memories with the kids and grandkids (who came along later).
Susan

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
While it has become a bit more work to pull off the entire family on vacation we seem to make it happen. Our family includes 3 kids and their spouses, 7 grandkids and a great grand kid on the way this May. Our extended immediate family is huge. On some trips there might be over 100. The resort trip I did pull off was nine two bedroom WM two bedroom units at Seaside Oregon in August. Another trip was four two bedroom units at Silver Lake for a Disney World trip. My wife takes the women in the family to Leavenworth every winter for the Christmas lighting. I take the guys fishing, golfing or Jeeping . The mountain vacation house we have hosts many family funtions including a wedding.

These last couple of years we seem to using our timeshares mostly to snowbird without the kids. Usually friends or family meet us for part of our trips in the winter. The summer trips is our cabin or our cousins beach house. Things are changing as the family grows and ages. My wife and I are the old ones now as most of the generation ahead of us has passed on. It sometimes seems strange to be this old in what seems like a blink of an eye.

Bill

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Late June week in Ocean City, MD with younger daughter, SIL, and 3 kids and mid-August week same timeshare with older daughter, SIL, and 2 kids. That's why those timeshares still work for me. Gives the grandkids the same "second home" to visit every summer, just as I had with my grandparents' summer cottages in the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes. That was my goal in buying those timeshares. Creating memories with the kids and grandkids (who came along later).
Susan

We usually get to OCMD at least once a year as it’s only a couple hours away for us. Which timeshares do you own in OCMD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geekette

Reaction score
Yes, I want the on-site stuff to do. I am not about to plan entertainment, it is up to each individual to occupy themselves.

geekette

Reaction score
My daughter, granddaughter and I traveled every Spring Break from the time my granddaughter was around 6 (now 18) until last year when they decided to go out to Colorado instead. This year they are going on a cruise. The same cruise I took them on two years ago. I was not invited on either trip nor told about their plans until I brought up ideas for our next Spring Break. My granddaughter is taking girlfriends and her mother is taking a long time friend. I wasn't sure how to take it when she told me that she couldn't go to a place she hadn't been before. I had taught her what, and how to, do it. They are now financially able to travel whereas in the past, I paid all expenses. It does hurt.
I'm sorry. That is shabby treatment, especially after so many years of generosity on your part.

Couldn't go to a place she hadn't been before ... that's pure rubbish. She would never leave home for anything if that were the case. Can't go to that new grocery store cuz I've never been there .... can't go to school cuz I haven't been there ... can't go to a doctor cuz I haven't been to one before .... A ridiculous argument that deserves a cold stare.

she's trying to justify stomping on your feelings. From me, you get a hug. And a reminder to put together a trip for yourself and whomever you choose. It's not that group any more.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done it once with our daughter and her family and our son has come along with us a few times. We would love to have them on vacation with us. The problem in both cases is their work schedules and when they are off.
We could go any time being that we are retired. Our daughter has to send her daughter off to Kentucky every summer to be with her dad. It just doesn't work.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our biggest issue besides work schedules is that our kids are avid outdoors people - rock climbing, bouldering, and hiking - and timesharing is not very conducive to those activities. When we want to spend vacation time with them, we have to camp (which we enjoy). I would love to get them to Mexico but they have no interest. Hawaii happens sometime, but other than that timesharing does not really interest them.

Interestingly enough, DD#2 and her husband and some friends are staying in Switzerland for back to back weeks in a resort that is reasonably close to a climbing area. She found the resort on the resort directory in Interval and I set up a Getaway search on the app and lo and behold, the weeks popped up. She thrilled to be getting the weeks so inexpensively (about $700/week for a two bedroom). The place looks pretty basic, but climbers are easy to please with accommodations. They are happy to have a bed, a flush toilet, and hot water.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

@Glynda,

I understand your point and your feelings here. Allow me to ask a couple of questions if I might - questions that mirror where the wife and I are in our relationship with our kids.
I'll preface what I am about to say/ask with this - I wish I had answers to the questions that bother me still - but I do not.

It wasn't all that long ago when the wife and I had three kids at home.
It was chaos. Between things with school, outside activities, sports, and more - the weeks and and weekends were cram packed with stuff that revolved around what the kids were doing (or about to be doing).

I never knew how comforting that chaos was and how much it would be missed until later on. As the years went by, and each child moved on to be off on their own, the chaos started to diminish. Somewhat like a dust devil that fades off into the distance. It becomes harder to see, but you seem to still feel its presence because you can feel the dust in the air around you.

The first child moved off....a few years later, the second. And finally, the third a few years after that.
Obligations of life have pulled them in different directions. New people and new responsibilities in their lives have made increasing demands on their time.

But most of all, they are not the same persons they were when they left home.

Time has changed them.

We are no longer the centers of their world for many reasons - some good, some maybe not so. But as they grew as individuals, the fact that time is limited means they simply cannot spend so much time with you anymore. They have more demands, more pulls, more things and people they are responsible to and for.

It leaves your head spinning - what happened? Why isn't our relationship what it was? What changed?

The short answer is both you and they have changed. This is the point I am trying to put in context with our kids.

As their demands increase and responsibilities grow, yours (like mine) are decreasing. I've found that as the years go by, the things I am truly interested in are peeling away (like layers of an onion). I'm pretty much resigned to having interest in only a narrow array of those things I consider truly important - and that array continues to narrow as time goes by.

I'm left with a ton of free time on my hands, and (almost) nothing to do (on a daily basis) that satisfies me anymore.
Except my family.

The kids are on the opposite end of that spectrum.

The irony that mkes this so difficult is this (at least I think this) - when we (as parents) have the most time, our kids have the least.

I have run through some of the same emotions you seem to have - confusion, frustration, anger, resentment, bewilderment. But mostly, sadness and loneliness.

What was cannot be again. Neither us or our kids are today who we were yesterday. I find a lot of the emotions I noted above in that realization.

The question for me has become - how do I move on? Is this perhaps the crossroads you face?

I'm trying to let go to an extent, but I am frustrated in that very little interests me anymore. I have not been able to replace the chaos with something anywhere near as satisfying. It is an ongoing process - and a difficult one.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
@Glynda,

I understand your point and your feelings here. Allow me to ask a couple of questions if I might - questions that mirror where the wife and I are in our relationship with our kids.
I'll preface what I am about to say/ask with this - I wish I had answers to the questions that bother me still - but I do not.

It wasn't all that long ago when the wife and I had three kids at home.
It was chaos. Between things with school, outside activities, sports, and more - the weeks and and weekends were cram packed with stuff that revolved around what the kids were doing (or about to be doing).

I never knew how comforting that chaos was and how much it would be missed until later on. As the years went by, and each child moved on to be off on their own, the chaos started to diminish. Somewhat like a dust devil that fades off into the distance. It becomes harder to see, but you seem to still feel its presence because you can feel the dust in the air around you.

The first child moved off....a few years later, the second. And finally, the third a few years after that.
Obligations of life have pulled them in different directions. New people and new responsibilities in their lives have made increasing demands on their time.

But most of all, they are not the same persons they were when they left home.

Time has changed them.

We are no longer the centers of their world for many reasons - some good, some maybe not so. But as they grew as individuals, the fact that time is limited means they simply cannot spend so much time with you anymore. They have more demands, more pulls, more things and people they are responsible to and for.

It leaves your head spinning - what happened? Why isn't our relationship what it was? What changed?

The short answer is both you and they have changed. This is the point I am trying to put in context with our kids.

As their demands increase and responsibilities grow, yours (like mine) are decreasing. I've found that as the years go by, the things I am truly interested in are peeling away (like layers of an onion). I'm pretty much resigned to having interest in only a narrow array of those things I consider truly important - and that array continues to narrow as time goes by.

I'm left with a ton of free time on my hands, and (almost) nothing to do (on a daily basis) that satisfies me anymore.
Except my family.

The kids are on the opposite end of that spectrum.

The irony that mkes this so difficult is this (at least I think this) - when we (as parents) have the most time, our kids have the least.

I have run through some of the same emotions you seem to have - confusion, frustration, anger, resentment, bewilderment. But mostly, sadness and loneliness.

What was cannot be again. Neither us or our kids are today who we were yesterday. I find a lot of the emotions I noted above in that realization.

The question for me has become - how do I move on? Is this perhaps the crossroads you face?

I'm trying to let go to an extent, but I am frustrated in that very little interests me anymore. I have not been able to replace the chaos with something anywhere near as satisfying. It is an ongoing process - and a difficult one.
You've summed it up well... the circle of life. Some get fixated on the child-raising years and forget to plan for their life after kids leave home. I spent 20 years as a single parent every moment dedicated to my 2 kids, but when the last one left for university I sold my house, retired, moved, and started a variety of charity activities and sports.

Cultivate childhood interests or find new hobbies... your life is yours to make.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You've summed it up well... the circle of life. Some get fixated on the child-raising years and forget to plan for their life after kids leave home. I spent 20 years as a single parent every moment dedicated to my 2 kids, but when the last one left for university I sold my house, retired, moved, and started a variety of charity activities and sports.

Cultivate childhood interests or find new hobbies... your life is yours to make.

Goaliedave,

Your bolded point is spot on - with just one problem on my end.

I am quickly discovering that many of the things I could do (and enjoyed doing) in my 3rd decade of existence aren't quite so easy in my 6th decade of existence.

Time catches us all, I'm afraid.

I think your point about moving / retiring is what I have next up on my interest meter. Where we live now (Arkansas) has very little to interest me. We ended up here many years ago due to family medical issues with the wife's parents. We have definitely overstayed here (stayed too long).

Our travels West have left me thinking about nothing else. Colorado, Utah, Washington - all look captivating and in need of further exploration.

Although this quote wasn't originally meant for the U.S. West, that is how I read it:

Go West, young man, go West. There is health in the country, and room away from our crowds of idlers and imbeciles.
Attributed to Horace Greely

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Goaliedave,

Your bolded point is spot on - with just one problem on my end.

I am quickly discovering that many of the things I could do (and enjoyed doing) in my 3rd decade of existence aren't quite so easy in my 6th decade of existence.

Time catches us all, I'm afraid.

I think your point about moving / retiring is what I have next up on my interest meter. Where we live now (Arkansas) has very little to interest me. We ended up here many years ago due to family medical issues with the wife's parents. We have definitely overstayed here (stayed too long).

Our travels West have left me thinking about nothing else. Colorado, Utah, Washington - all look captivating and in need of further exploration.

Although this quote wasn't originally meant for the U.S. West, that is how I read it:

Go West, young man, go West. There is health in the country, and room away from our crowds of idlers and imbeciles.
Attributed to Horace Greely
I can sense the excitement in your planning for a move out west! You will make a great life for yourself.

Regarding old interests... you are right we can't do them exactly the same way, but we can relive the memories!

Instead of playing baseball, you can go to the local ball field and watch young kids play. I was just in Orlando for 3 months, and bought a bicycle on arrival, and rode it everywhere (on the sidewalks) ... slower, but still felt like a teenager!

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
We bought our New Year's timeshare in Banff about 10 years ago...before that we rented at the same place for about 5 years. Actually, we bought a 1 bedroom and then a 2 bedroom came up...and we bought that one also.

Over the years we have had our kids come along with us about 7 times but more and more we find ourselves going by ourselves and renting out the 1 bedroom because the now adult children cannot get that time off....or cannot get the whole week off.

This spring break my husband and I will be there for the week....and have offered the weekend for any of our two sons to come up. We would be glad to go home and have them enjoy the last bit of the week. I offered to get them their own accommodation in Banff if they wanted to come up that weekend and we stay in our unit but now most rooms are rented out. They still have not made a commitment to come up while we are there ( I am paying by the way)

I think that they are just busy and not used to committing to a holiday unless it is just perfect for them. Of course booking an all exclusive week in Mexico with their friends holds a lot more appeal to them than a weekend with their parents!!!! I don't blame them.....timesharing was something my husband and I loved to do for ourselves....none of our friends like timesharing and our adult children have lives of their own....Air bnb seem more conducive to filling their expectations.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If going West take a serious look at Boulder City Nevada.

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually get to OCMD at least once a year as it’s only a couple hours away for us. Which timeshares do you own in OCMD?

Lucayan wks 24 and 33. Used to own a 1BR at SeaTime but sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Interesting topic! We are just entering this phase of our lives. Our kids are 20, 16 and 10 and just recently entered into the timeshare fray. We never vacationed much in the past, but the timeshare resorts give us the room we need. We took our first timeshare trip last summer with the family and everybody loved it. Heading out this June as well.

My wife and have talked about this very topic and our opinion is as we progress to that phase of our life, we will be inviting our children and their families to come with us, but for the most part, they will be responsible for their own transportation there.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: