• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POLL: For those of you who have adult children (over age 18), do you still regularly schedule family vacations together?

For those of you who have adult children, do you still regularly schedule family vacations together?

• Total voters

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Our family is currently debating the finer points of coordinating and funding family vacations, and my wife is surmising that most people with adult children no longer take family vacations due to a variety of reasons. She informally polled many of her co-workers and supposedly the consensus was that family vacations with adult children are solidly in the minority, so I figured I would create a poll to ask the audience. :)

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sort of cheated as I do not have adult children over 18 but I am answering for my family as a whole.

My parents regularly accompany myself and my 2 sisters at least annually on vacation. In fact, we often go somewhere at least twice a year. Timssharing has allowed us to do this economically.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Take the daughters (both single moms) and grandkids to SC every summer.

Cheers

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have all been going to Maui every year for the past few years. Our younger dd, who lives with us, will sometimes accompany us on other trips. Last year dh and I went to Carmel and older dd joined us for a few days.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Granddaughter will be graduating from college in May and will be commission an Ensign in the Coast Guard. We are planning a family vacation in Hawaii 2020 for about fifteen (15) family members. This will not be a timeshare vacation.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly this is one of the reasons timesharing doesn't always work for us. Our "family" has outgrown timeshare accommodations; I like to stay together (rather than separate units). We try to rent a house for the "kids" (all 7 are over 18, except for any foster children living at home) every couple years. Last year we connected with most of them separately; so this year we asked who wanted to chip in and got so many different preferences I don't think we're going to be "together" again (one son just joined the Army & will be in Alaska; another has been backpacking in Asia for the past 8 months & probably won't be back for awhile; another is a broke college student - but the girls are all married w/children & love to go); I like to vacation with "everyone" and try to connect them all at least every couple years. I will start prioritizing for next year (we will put in the largest "share" for a house and then they can all chip in).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I wish! Vacation time is limited for my kids, and our busy seasons don't line up very well. I try to get everyone together every two or three years but it's difficult.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is so hard to coordinate schedules. I would love to do this but you honestly have to plan 1-2 years out. One DIL suggested next summer, but now my DD is getting married in 2021, so that will be the big family event.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
My daughter, granddaughter and I traveled every Spring Break from the time my granddaughter was around 6 (now 18) until last year when they decided to go out to Colorado instead. This year they are going on a cruise. The same cruise I took them on two years ago. I was not invited on either trip nor told about their plans until I brought up ideas for our next Spring Break. My granddaughter is taking girlfriends and her mother is taking a long time friend. I wasn't sure how to take it when she told me that she couldn't go to a place she hadn't been before. I had taught her what, and how to, do it. They are now financially able to travel whereas in the past, I paid all expenses. It does hurt.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
No, DH has an adult daughter, almost 30, with a good job. She expects everyone else to pick up the tab for everything. Whether it's her Dad or her Aunt and Uncle (DH's Sister and BIL). She was asked by her aunt if she was going on vacation anywhere this year and the answer was no, vacations are too expensive. Vacations are expensive, even timeshare vacations, especially when only one party is expected to pay for everything.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We didn't own a timeshare until our kids were in high school 5 years ago so our usage is mainly with our young adults. Currently our college age kids look forward to it!

It's about the only way to get quality family time together without distractions of friends, jobs, school. It has also made us closer as a family as they want to join more vacations. "Would you like to join us in Hawaii? or NYC? or Vegas? or Disney?" "Of course!" In fact my 25 YO son just asked me when he could join us again in NYC. We are all visiting Hawaii again this summer.

Last edited:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Honestly this is one of the reasons timesharing doesn't always work for us. Our "family" has outgrown timeshare accommodations; I like to stay together (rather than separate units). We try to rent a house for the "kids" (all 7 are over 18, except for any foster children living at home) every couple years. Last year we connected with most of them separately; so this year we asked who wanted to chip in and got so many different preferences I don't think we're going to be "together" again (one son just joined the Army & will be in Alaska; another has been backpacking in Asia for the past 8 months & probably won't be back for awhile; another is a broke college student - but the girls are all married w/children & love to go); I like to vacation with "everyone" and try to connect them all at least every couple years. I will start prioritizing for next year (we will put in the largest "share" for a house and then they can all chip in).
Exactly, renting a house is cheaper and better when combining 2 or 3 families on a vacation.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We did a big family vacation on our 40th wedding anniversary and planned it for about a year. It was a big success.

We planned a similar get together in Orlando last October where again a lot of fun happened.

The key for us is to make them rare enough to make the event "special".

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Many of our friends are jealous that our adult kids (& their families) still want to vacation with us, even though we are no longer paying for them. Many times over the last 10 or 12 years I have booked 3 or 4 two bedroom units at the same resort for the same week so our boys and their families (& a few times their in-laws) can join us for a vacation. Everybody paid for their own units and groceries for each trip. Due to the nature of our oldest DS's work it is very hard to plan a long ways in advance so we often use Last Call weeks. Our DD still vacations with us about once a year, even if her brothers are not. Whenever I am considering booking a resort I always ask her if its someplace she'd be interested in going to so I know weather to book a 1 or 2 bedroom unit. She books her own flight (we usually drive), contributes to the groceries and treats us to a couple of meals out as a thank you. It works out to a pretty cheap vacation for her.

~Diane

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Good survey.

Traditionally it has been hard to make it work, but this June we are going to Marriott’s Ko Olina Resort with our DD, and her family, and our DS and his DW. Our DS will share a 2BR unit with us and our DD and family will have a separate unit. We are providing the accommodations, but each family is responsible for travel. We will share meals too.

This is the first trip with both of our kids in many years and first ever with their respective families. Fortunately, we have good relationships with both sets. We are looking forward to the trip and having a great time. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Best regards.

Mike

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I didn't know how to answer this poll. Our son is 32 and he essentially comes to visit at our timeshare for a couple of days every year. But he can drive to it in 2 1/2 hours.

But any of our other vacations- like when we went to Utah this past Sept or when we went to Colorado two or three years ago-- we do not include him anymore.

I think the last time he came on a "big" vacation with us- involving airfare and all that- was back in 2012 when we went to Scotland.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Once every year or two, I try to get one of my adult children to come with us to visit their grandma (luckily she's located in Hawaii ;)). And last year and this year, we're taking a trip (to somewhere other than Hawaii) between Thanksgiving and Christmas, instead of spending on Christmas gifts. I get the TS, and help with a few other travel expenses. My DD & SIL usually get their own airfare, but they have more medical expenses now, so I'm trying to get creative on getting them to accept help with airfare.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son was very well travelled growing up, with my hauling him over to different continents for work and pleasure. When he got older he does not want to go anywhere except Japan because of his love for Japanese anime. So we no longer have vacations together, unless I plan for something around Japan.

Mister Sir

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been doing an annual Christmas vacation for several years now thanks to our timeshare ownership and RCI exchanges. We go to a different destination each year. With 10 children, it's sometimes a challenge to get them all on the same page but we manage. Our youngest is now 17 and the oldest is 32. Two of our kids are married and most have a boyfriend/girlfriend who joins us as well. We typically get four 2-bedroom units; one is for my wife and me, one for the married couples, one for the single boys, and one for the single girls. With children scattered around the country, it's fun to get us all together at least once a year.

tgropp

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family is myself, my wife, two children, two spouses and three grandchildren. We have been taking yearly family vacations for fifteen years and everyone is always looking forward to each and every vacation. It helps having lots of DVC points. My wife and I also take yearly trips without the children

mtm65

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been enjoying annual vacations with our family for a few years now. Sometimes it is a struggle to align everyone's schedule but it is worth it. It is great to have four generations vacation together. We are very flexible with schedules and not everyone does all of the activities for the week. It's good to spend time with each other. Our timeshare has helped make this happen, allowing us to find three-bedroom and four-bedroom condos most of the time. We usually cover the cost of the lodging and others cover the cost of the food and activities. It works out nicely.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every year we more or less take at least one vacation with one, two or all of our adult kids/grandchildren. The last Disney cruise we took together a few years ago, I took care of three cabins (7 people). They took care of their on-board account (I paid for my daughter's/ was still at home). We have been going to Disney together for many years - since they were my little kids :). Two own small DVC contract also. I share some points with them/never enough. We have quiet a few sit down meals together where we will treat them but we are not tied at the hip for the whole trip.

They do go on their own time/vacations also. It does not always work out with us. I have also helped with air/park tickets. If we are around, we contribute up to a certain point.

Hubby and I definitely want us all to go on a Disney cruise again - we are definitely more people since then. Four grandchildren /daughter got married. We will contribute and help as much as we can. Perhaps we will cover the grandchildren's fare.......who knows. Time will tell.

Hopefully we will continue to have many more vacations together help for a long time. The memories are priceless and will live forever even after we are gone.