• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POLL: For those of you who have adult children (over age 18), do you still regularly schedule family vacations together?

For those of you who have adult children, do you still regularly schedule family vacations together?

• Total voters

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My life is my life. My grown kids lives are theirs. We talk a couple times a week. Every couple of months or so I will have breakfast or lunch with one or the other of them. Even when I was actively traveling I had zero interest in having them along. The only exception was when my Son and I traveled together to play in a Texas Hold Em Tournament...

George

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Interesting topic! We are just entering this phase of our lives. Our kids are 20, 16 and 10 and just recently entered into the timeshare fray. We never vacationed much in the past, but the timeshare resorts give us the room we need. We took our first trip last summer with the family and everybody loved it. Heading out this June as well.

My wife and have talked about this very topic and our opinion is as we progress to that phase of our life, we will be inviting our children and their families to come with us, but for the most part, they will be responsible for their own transportation there.

Our kids are a bit older, at 25, 22 and 20. We currently are doing a mix of approaches as our young adult children transition from college into careers. Last year we footed the bill for airline tickets for all five of us to head to Reunion for a week. Our daughter’s boyfriend paid his own way to go with us.

This year we are all headed to Myrtle Beach and everyone has to get there however they see fit. Once they are all gainfully employed it will all be on them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Our kids are a bit older, at 25, 22 and 20. We currently are doing a mix of approaches as our young adult children transition from college into careers. Last year we footed the bill for airline tickets for all five of us to head to Reunion for a week. Our daughter’s boyfriend paid his own way to go with us.

This year we are all headed to Myrtle Beach and everyone has to get there however they see fit. Once they are all gainfully employed it will all be on them of course.

My 20 year old has 1 year of college left (already working for the university in a post grad capacity) and is ready for an apartment on her own. We will be paying to take her for a couple of years (Las Vegas is next year and we will be flying), but as she gets her roots down, we will “ask” her to find her own transportation. That doesn’t mean we will never pay for her or her family to go, but it won’t be automatic.

The one thing I love about timeshares are the full kitchens. The ability to cook is huge. We are traveling with another family this summer. We both will have our own units (hopefully right next to each other). We plan on sharing the cooking duties (3 nights each family and Costco pizza the night we arrive). I can see us doing something like that as our children got older and have their own families. Maybe not split, but ask to cook a meal here and there.

With all this being said, my wife and I are looking forward to going on trips as just a couple. That will be a few years down the road, but we are already planning on where we want to go (Hawaii).

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When My KIds were in there teens we were also taking care of my mother who had a stroke and my father. For about 15 years DH and I took almost no vacations together as one of us had to stay with my folks so DD and I would usually go to Hawaii every other year and DH & DS would go to Colorado or Idaho. Now that we are empty-nesters, kids are all grown and my parents have passed DH & I will go once a year, usually to Idaho but sometimes Hawaii. DD will still travel with me when she can but since she got married and is in the coast guard, those days are past. We are trying to have a family trip next January to Kauai and I hope they can all come, the last trip altogether was for my Oldest's son wedding on Oahu last year. My kids that are far (Texas & Florida) come to us in wa at the holidays, either Thanksgiving or Christmas.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Glynda,

I understand your point and your feelings here. Allow me to ask a couple of questions if I might - questions that mirror where the wife and I are in our relationship with our kids.
I'll preface what I am about to say/ask with this - I wish I had answers to the questions that bother me still - but I do not.

It wasn't all that long ago when the wife and I had three kids at home.
It was chaos. Between things with school, outside activities, sports, and more - the weeks and and weekends were cram packed with stuff that revolved around what the kids were doing (or about to be doing).

I never knew how comforting that chaos was and how much it would be missed until later on. As the years went by, and each child moved on to be off on their own, the chaos started to diminish. Somewhat like a dust devil that fades off into the distance. It becomes harder to see, but you seem to still feel its presence because you can feel the dust in the air around you.

The first child moved off....a few years later, the second. And finally, the third a few years after that.
Obligations of life have pulled them in different directions. New people and new responsibilities in their lives have made increasing demands on their time.

But most of all, they are not the same persons they were when they left home.

Time has changed them.

We are no longer the centers of their world for many reasons - some good, some maybe not so. But as they grew as individuals, the fact that time is limited means they simply cannot spend so much time with you anymore. They have more demands, more pulls, more things and people they are responsible to and for.

It leaves your head spinning - what happened? Why isn't our relationship what it was? What changed?

The short answer is both you and they have changed. This is the point I am trying to put in context with our kids.

As their demands increase and responsibilities grow, yours (like mine) are decreasing. I've found that as the years go by, the things I am truly interested in are peeling away (like layers of an onion). I'm pretty much resigned to having interest in only a narrow array of those things I consider truly important - and that array continues to narrow as time goes by.

I'm left with a ton of free time on my hands, and (almost) nothing to do (on a daily basis) that satisfies me anymore.
Except my family.

The kids are on the opposite end of that spectrum.

The irony that mkes this so difficult is this (at least I think this) - when we (as parents) have the most time, our kids have the least.

I have run through some of the same emotions you seem to have - confusion, frustration, anger, resentment, bewilderment. But mostly, sadness and loneliness.

What was cannot be again. Neither us or our kids are today who we were yesterday. I find a lot of the emotions I noted above in that realization.

The question for me has become - how do I move on? Is this perhaps the crossroads you face?

I'm trying to let go to an extent, but I am frustrated in that very little interests me anymore. I have not been able to replace the chaos with something anywhere near as satisfying. It is an ongoing process - and a difficult one.
Very well written. Good insight.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
With all this being said, my wife and I are looking forward to going on trips as just a couple. That will be a few years down the road, but we are already planning on where we want to go (Hawaii).

This is what we are mostly doing at this point. We have 1-2 trips per year that include our young adult children. All other trips are either just the two of us or with friends our own age. Currently we have two trips planned with family in 2020. A week in Myrtle Beach over the summer and Las Vegas over Thanksgiving. As a couple we have already been to the Poconos, Alexandria, and National Harbor this year, with bookings to head to the Bahamas (work trip I won), Orlando, and Clearwater so far, and a long weekend in National Harbor with friends in the spring. Given we are on the East coast, Hawaii is a bit far for us, but we do want to get there soon!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
@Glynda,

I understand your point and your feelings here. Allow me to ask a couple of questions if I might - questions that mirror where the wife and I are in our relationship with our kids.
I'll preface what I am about to say/ask with this - I wish I had answers to the questions that bother me still - but I do not.

It wasn't all that long ago when the wife and I had three kids at home.
It was chaos. Between things with school, outside activities, sports, and more - the weeks and and weekends were cram packed with stuff that revolved around what the kids were doing (or about to be doing).

I never knew how comforting that chaos was and how much it would be missed until later on. As the years went by, and each child moved on to be off on their own, the chaos started to diminish. Somewhat like a dust devil that fades off into the distance. It becomes harder to see, but you seem to still feel its presence because you can feel the dust in the air around you.

The first child moved off....a few years later, the second. And finally, the third a few years after that.
Obligations of life have pulled them in different directions. New people and new responsibilities in their lives have made increasing demands on their time.

But most of all, they are not the same persons they were when they left home.

Time has changed them.

We are no longer the centers of their world for many reasons - some good, some maybe not so. But as they grew as individuals, the fact that time is limited means they simply cannot spend so much time with you anymore. They have more demands, more pulls, more things and people they are responsible to and for.

It leaves your head spinning - what happened? Why isn't our relationship what it was? What changed?

The short answer is both you and they have changed. This is the point I am trying to put in context with our kids.

As their demands increase and responsibilities grow, yours (like mine) are decreasing. I've found that as the years go by, the things I am truly interested in are peeling away (like layers of an onion). I'm pretty much resigned to having interest in only a narrow array of those things I consider truly important - and that array continues to narrow as time goes by.

I'm left with a ton of free time on my hands, and (almost) nothing to do (on a daily basis) that satisfies me anymore.
Except my family.

The kids are on the opposite end of that spectrum.

The irony that mkes this so difficult is this (at least I think this) - when we (as parents) have the most time, our kids have the least.

I have run through some of the same emotions you seem to have - confusion, frustration, anger, resentment, bewilderment. But mostly, sadness and loneliness.

What was cannot be again. Neither us or our kids are today who we were yesterday. I find a lot of the emotions I noted above in that realization.

The question for me has become - how do I move on? Is this perhaps the crossroads you face?

I'm trying to let go to an extent, but I am frustrated in that very little interests me anymore. I have not been able to replace the chaos with something anywhere near as satisfying. It is an ongoing process - and a difficult one.

That's a well thought out reply. I share your pain. Thank you.

I have been moving on for some time. I really don't have a lot of free time on my hands. My 98 year old mother lives with us which is a blessing but also a deterrent to our being able to get away as we would like. While we are pretty much bound to home, I've been taking classes I enjoy. We are involved in other community events and organizations as well. This tradition with my daughter and granddaughter, Spring Break, was the only time I got to spend time with just them. We rarely see or hear from them though we live in the same town. I didn't expect the "tradition" to continue past this year, my granddaughter's last in high school. I wish that they had the courage to tell me they wanted to stop in a different manner and sooner and that their focus was broader.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our biggest issue besides work schedules is that our kids are avid outdoors people - rock climbing, bouldering, and hiking - and timesharing is not very conducive to those activities. When we want to spend vacation time with them, we have to camp (which we enjoy). I would love to get them to Mexico but they have no interest. Hawaii happens sometime, but other than that timesharing does not really interest them.

Interestingly enough, DD#2 and her husband and some friends are staying in Switzerland for back to back weeks in a resort that is reasonably close to a climbing area. She found the resort on the resort directory in Interval and I set up a Getaway search on the app and lo and behold, the weeks popped up. She thrilled to be getting the weeks so inexpensively (about $700/week for a two bedroom). The place looks pretty basic, but climbers are easy to please with accommodations. They are happy to have a bed, a flush toilet, and hot water.

HUH? Many timeshares are VERY condusive to those activities. Have you been to Colorado? To Vermont or New Hampshire? To Utah? Tons of thoses kinds of activities at many timeshare destinations..

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Goaliedave,

Your bolded point is spot on - with just one problem on my end.

I am quickly discovering that many of the things I could do (and enjoyed doing) in my 3rd decade of existence aren't quite so easy in my 6th decade of existence.

Time catches us all, I'm afraid.

I think your point about moving / retiring is what I have next up on my interest meter. Where we live now (Arkansas) has very little to interest me. We ended up here many years ago due to family medical issues with the wife's parents. We have definitely overstayed here (stayed too long).

Our travels West have left me thinking about nothing else. Colorado, Utah, Washington - all look captivating and in need of further exploration.

Although this quote wasn't originally meant for the U.S. West, that is how I read it:

Go West, young man, go West. There is health in the country, and room away from our crowds of idlers and imbeciles.
Attributed to Horace Greely

I think you should move and perk yourself up. We (so far) are lucky that we moved to an area we love and our only child lives here (at least for now). He has his own life. He is not really "settled" in the traditional sense financially or even in terms of his happiness, since he feels "dead" in his job and is not in a relationship, and that weighs on me a lot, but we have to think of ourselves now.

We never had "chaos" at home with having only one kid (and 2 dogs), and we do not have grandchildren either, so it is always quiet and "lonely" which is why we moved out of an isolated situation to a community style development (though in winter more than half the residents are gone from here). We vacationed here a lot also so to us at home - in this small house- almost feels like we are in a timeshare.

As soon as we are a bit more settled with things and spring arrives we will venture out more socially as well. Maybe join something.

But back to our son, I always said I would be happy if we could see him for just even 5 minutes once or twice per month. So far, he has visited us on his lunch break 3 times in the 3 weeks we have moved here. That in itself was worth millions to us. We never had that when we lived so far away. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Our biggest issue besides work schedules is that our kids are avid outdoors people - rock climbing, bouldering, and hiking - and timesharing is not very conducive to those activities. When we want to spend vacation time with them, we have to camp (which we enjoy). I would love to get them to Mexico but they have no interest. Hawaii happens sometime, but other than that timesharing does not really interest them.

Interestingly enough, DD#2 and her husband and some friends are staying in Switzerland for back to back weeks in a resort that is reasonably close to a climbing area. She found the resort on the resort directory in Interval and I set up a Getaway search on the app and lo and behold, the weeks popped up. She thrilled to be getting the weeks so inexpensively (about $700/week for a two bedroom). The place looks pretty basic, but climbers are easy to please with accommodations. They are happy to have a bed, a flush toilet, and hot water.
Our kids are the same, having been born in Wyoming and SIL’s born in Montana and Texas: avid hikers/bikers/rock climbers... But they love Sedona, Flagstaff, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Taos, Estes Park, Granby, Breckenridge, Aspen, West Yellowstone and Maui, Oahu and Kauai.... They are off doing their thing while we hang at the pool/hot tub with a libation.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our kids are the same, having been born in Wyoming and SIL’s born in Montana and Texas: avid hikers/bikers/rock climbers... But they love Sedona, Flagstaff, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Taos, Estes Park, Granby, Breckenridge, Aspen, West Yellowstone and Maui, Oahu and Kauai.... They are off doing their thing while we hang at the pool/hot tub with a libation.
Those are great suggestions. We also had success at Truckee (Northstar, sadly no longer available through II). They climbed near Donner Lake and did some PCT hiking. Thanks for the additional ideas.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HUH? Many timeshares are VERY condusive to those activities. Have you been to Colorado? To Vermont or New Hampshire? To Utah? Tons of thoses kinds of activities at many timeshare destinations..
Climbers are very specific about location, lol. We hike everywhere we go (even hiked in Salzburg) but climbing locations are another thing completely. That said, I hadn't given serious thought to Colorado so I will ask them about that location.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Climbers are very specific about location, lol. We hike everywhere we go (even hikes in Salzburg) but climbing locations are another thing completely. That said, I hadn't given serious thought to Colorado so I will ask them about that location.
If they can't find a suitable place to climb in Colorado, then they aren't looking very hard!

Kurt

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
We take the 3 kids and in-laws, 8 grandkids every year to Smokey Mountain Lodge or Bonnet Creek. We found it works out best to put us and my son,DIL and gd in a 2 bedroom. Then, we put our 2 daughters, SILs and 7 grandkids together in a 4 bedroom, that we then use to congregate and eat together. Hubby and myself, can tolerate the noise of 7 kids in one unit, but the DIL can’t. It’s best to keep them separate..

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had both kids, one with husband and the other with wife & grandkids, but scheduling is difficult with everyone working and so many other activities.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they can't find a suitable place to climb in Colorado, then they aren't looking very hard!

Kurt
They climb there all the time but near Boulder (Flatirons). I'm seeing them tonight so I'll ask about the Vail area. They stay there during the Mountain Games, but I don't remember them climbing there. But honestly, I stopped paying close attention a long time ago. They have climbed all over the US and Canada, plus some in Europe so it's kind of a blur to me. It's always weird places, lol.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I have one son who is almost 23 who no longer vacations with us. Then I have a set of boy/girl twins (16) and a 14 yr old. And a homebody husband. :) I make the reservations at a place I like, and they will tolerate. And then who ever is free goes. No fighting about it. No guilt. Mama is going, no ifs, ands, or buts. But who's with me is anybody's guess! This week, it's the twins and I in North Conway. We've had a blast. The 14 yr old had a basketball tourney, and the husband stayed home with her. I have let go of the "perfect family vacation image" I used to have. I choose to enjoy my vacation time, however it turns out!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I have one son who is almost 23 who no longer vacations with us. Then I have a set of boy/girl twins (16) and a 14 yr old. And a homebody husband. :) I make the reservations at a place I like, and they will tolerate. And then who ever is free goes. No fighting about it. No guilt. Mama is going, no ifs, ands, or buts. But who's with me is anybody's guess! This week, it's the twins and I in North Conway. We've had a blast. The 14 yr old had a basketball tourney, and the husband stayed home with her. I have let go of the "perfect family vacation image" I used to have. I choose to enjoy my vacation time, however it turns out!
Life’s too short to do anything else! Enjoy your trip!