• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help - I have no idea what to do...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I will also point out:

There may be offers or ads from companies/lawyers that GUARANTEE!!!! to get rid of your timeshares.
Don't fall for it. They want money (upfront) and they will do NOTHING for you that you can't do on your own.
NO UPFRONT MONEY to get rid of timeshare schemes!

If you have POA and act on behalf of your Mother, I'm guessing that you might also be managing her estate in future. I'm saying this as compassionately and tactfully as I can.
  • You should attempt to return, surrender, sell, give-away or otherwise dispose of these assets/liabilities (timeshare liabilities) as soon as possible.
  • Ignoring the bills--because they cannot utilized--is not necessarily sound judgement. You may not have a choice, but document all your attempts to resolve this.
  • An executor (or holder of the POA) must use assets to satisfy debts, acknowledge the debts that can't be paid etc.... maybe you should seek a little legal advice? Legal aid might be for you.
  • You didn't mention it, but if there will be any significant assets in the future (cash, real estate etc..), now is the time to protect them from creditors. That's where the legal advice could help.
I'm sorry you are dealing with this now. It's never easy. It will get better. Karma follows the care and love.

When you have the real data...others here can advise of the value (if any) or the required incentives to get someone to accept the deeds---or how to return them to the HOA/management company.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't think of it as taking a loss however you dispose of them. You didn't pay for them. Your folks likely got their money's worth of enjoyable trips. You come out ahead not paying the maintenance fees, if you can figure out how to give away or sell them. Yes, it is a hassle contacting the resorts. So much to do in the caretaker role. I wish you well. Just add this task to your long list, and rejoice when you can cross it off.

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be careful about what the estate holds when your Mom passes away. If it's anything at all and the TS people are paying attention (probably not) the TS bills (including late fees, attorney's fees, etc.) may be put against the estate and will get paid before money gets disbursed to heirs. Yikes! My mom and dad died owning two timeshares and, fortunately, they were in Florida. I'm sure it's sorted out by now (several years have passed). My sister was handling the estate and I'm sure I would have heard something if it hadn't been.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about them now unless your parent's are leaving an estate of any type. I'm guessing the nursing home is eating a lot of it up. Maybe just send the bills back - return to sender - saying the people the mail is being sent to are dead or dealing with dementia. Let the TS come up with a solution. I'm sure they've dealt with this before.

Good luck! It's hard dealing with a parent with dementia. Some things sound so 'real' and you want to believe them (sometimes).

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Thank you. I am learning. Later this week I will have access to the original contracts and deeds, that should help me.
@Barbara Webber Good afternoon, to help other tuggers in similar situations, would you kindly let me know if your family member decided to stop paying and, if so, whether her credit got affected? You may DM or PM me.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know we have vacation villas, Whyndam, Celebrity. And some super weeks and some off weeks, but I don't have those specific details just yet.

Fwiw, Celebrity Resorts no longer exists as such, having declared bankruptcy back in 2009 and having later re-emerged as "Legacy Vacation Club".

Just mentioning this in case you find a deed referencing "Celebrity Resorts". I thought it might be helpful to you to know what that particular entity is actually called today if you were to attempt to track them down to try to pursue a "deedback". Good luck.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How does this affect point owners where the actual timeshares are in a multitude of states?
The HOA of most points TS are, for the TS resorts, conveniently located in deficiency states. For example, CWA's HOA is located in Delaware.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. I am learning. Later this week I will have access to the original contracts and deeds, that should help me.
Good morning @Barbara Webber , if your parents defaulted on their TS, would you kindly PM me as to whether their credit got affected? It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.