• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help - I have no idea what to do...

Reaction score
So my parents have 4 timeshare weeks. They are deeded 3 through RCI and one through II. The have had them since the late 80s or early 90s. My father has passed away and my mother is no longer able to make decisions due to dementia and other problems. My brother and I have legal power of attorney, if that matters here. Anyway, we don't want the timeshares. My mother hasn't used them in at least 8 years, and my brother and I have each used weeks once or twice over that time. What can I do? I called one of the resorts and have a number to call tomorrow to find out if they will take the 2 weeks back. Beyond that, I am at a loss. Can I sell them? Do they hold any value? Do I have to just accept a loss and give them away? Do the resorts buy back in my situation? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
So my parents have 4 timeshare weeks. They are deeded 3 through RCI and one through II. The have had them since the late 80s or early 90s. My father has passed away and my mother is no longer able to make decisions due to dementia and other problems. My brother and I have legal power of attorney, if that matters here. Anyway, we don't want the timeshares. My mother hasn't used them in at least 8 years, and my brother and I have each used weeks once or twice over that time. What can I do? I called one of the resorts and have a number to call tomorrow to find out if they will take the 2 weeks back. Beyond that, I am at a loss. Can I sell them? Do they hold any value? Do I have to just accept a loss and give them away? Do the resorts buy back in my situation? Thanks for any advice you can offer!
What are the resorts? They are likely worth $1. Some resorts take back for free.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
you can read 100 threads here on this topic. you can't give them away so you're stuck.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What states are they in? With any luck, they might be in SC, FL, CO, CA, ME, ir some other anti-deficiency state

Reaction score
One is in Kissimmee,FL Two are in Shawnee in the Poconos. and one is in Brigantine in NJ.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

The fact that you have power of attorney is critically important. If you didn't have the POA, you could do nothing about selling or otherwise disposing the weeks.

However, no one can give you any useful advice without knowing what are the four timeshare weeks. The more details, the better.

Worst case, they have no market value, in which case you have to decide whether to simply stop paying maintenance fees. Best case, they may be worth a few hundred dollars. Check the bargain and giveaway section here on TUG to get some ideas of valuation and how to post your weeks, should you decide to do that.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one is forced to accept a bequest, so unless you pay or sign something that indicates you will continue the ownership after your Mom's departure, you're off the hook. If it were me, I'd write each of the resorts involved- including the legal description of what they own, and tell the HOAs that the owners are deceased and not capable, and that they will be sending no more money and that they or you will happily sign over the deeds to the HOA. Good chance they'll turn down your offer, but if they foreclose, there is nothing they can get. Eventually they'll give up and you'll be done.

I'm sorry for your circumstances and wish you well.

Jim

Reaction score
I am honestly not entirely sure of the resorts and weeks. I am going to her house this week and can find all of the info I need. She is living in a rehab facility right now, and she can't offer any information that is reliable at this point. I know we have vacation villas, Whyndam, Celebrity. And some super weeks and some off weeks, but I don't have those specific details just yet.

Reaction score
No one is forced to accept a bequest, so unless you pay or sign something that indicates you will continue the ownership after your Mom's departure, you're off the hook. If it were me, I'd write each of the resorts involved- including the legal description of what they own, and tell the HOAs that the owners are deceased and not capable, and that they will be sending no more money and that they or you will happily sign over the deeds to the HOA. Good chance they'll turn down your offer, but if they foreclose, there is nothing they can get. Eventually they'll give up and you'll be done.

I'm sorry for your circumstances and wish you well.

Jim

Thank you. I don't understand why this all has to be so hard. I am dealing with so much right now, this is the last thing I thought I would have to stress over.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I don't understand why this all has to be so hard. I am dealing with so much right now, this is the last thing I thought I would have to stress over.
There is really no hurry. Do what you must do for your Mom and brother and especially for yourself. This timeshare stuff will iron itself out and won't amount to much either way.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well. If you default for the FL one, the resort can foreclose. As long as you don’t object, your mom won’t be subject to a deficiency judgment.

Attachments

• 5DBBDBEF-E42D-4FCE-B9BD-499981B2C415.png
    5DBBDBEF-E42D-4FCE-B9BD-499981B2C415.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 37

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you. I am learning. Later this week I will have access to the original contracts and deeds, that should help me.
It looks like your mom be okay to default in FL. However, PA and NJ are troublesome states for TS defaults in which the TS can slap you with attorney fees, late fees, and penalties, unlike in FL.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

TUG has a "Free Timeshare Giveaway and Bargain Deals" classification where you can make a post (one post for each week) and just give those weeks away.

Giving the weeks away is a good idea "if" they are not desirable or the supply far exceeds the demand. And maintenance fees do go on year after year as long as you own them.

Bottom line? If you're not going to use them then do take steps to unload them.

Welcome to TUG and best of luck!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would not even worry about these timeshares right now. You do not own them- your mom does and she is in no shape to handle them anymore. Call the resorts and tell them the situation and do not pay the maintenance fees. Maybe they will take them back. If not tell them they will have to foreclose on them.

I don't see where this is YOUR problem financially and with all going on in your life right now if it were me I would not want to even deal with giving them away.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
In Interval International, for Brigantine, NJ, I find two possibilities:
FantaSea Resorts - La Sammana
Brigantine, New Jersey
Legacy Vacation Club Brigantine Beach
Brigantine, New Jersey

She mentioned Celebrity, which is now Legacy Vacation Club.

OP - I've heard that Legacy accepts deed backs. If Brigantine is a summer week you may find a taker here. You won't get much (if anything) but it might find a new home. Also, if Wyndham points, you may be able to give the contracts back thru Ovations or you may find a taker for those.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The two Wyndhams are likely included in the list below:
Wyndham Shawnee Village - Crestview (#A969)
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301, USA

Depuy-Shawnee (#4213)
Shawnee-On-Delaware, PA 18356, USA

Ridge Top - Shawnee (#2611)

River Village I - Shawnee (#4211)

River Village II - Shawnee (#4212)

Fairway-Shawnee (#0001)
Shawnee-On-Delaware, PA USA
www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com

Wyndham does have a program called Ovations, in which they'll take back deeds. Someone here will certainly provide that information for you.

I just want you to understand that you will receive no money for any of the properties, but by transferring back the deeds, you will stop the cash outflow of much-needed funds.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are very kind to contact the resorts and see if they will take them back. You don't have to accept them as an inheritance and they can legally go after your mom, but what good will that do for them? They are going to ding her credit. What difference will that make? None.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your troubles.

It would stink to get stuck with a TS until one's passing. So hard to give many away, free or otherwise.

Good luck, let us know how you make it.