• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please don't buy into the idea this is a buying opporunity

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
[Message deleted. Please read my most recent post in this thread. See this thread for ROFR discussion. Dave M, BBS Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My point is not to argue whether buying a timeshare is a good investment, and if you can make money on it selling it later, etc. Nor am I seeking to predict the market: its bottom, nor its future.

But, I can't understand the argument that this is not a good time (as opposed to any previous time) to buy a Marriott timeshare. Putting aside any speculation about whether you can get a unit cheaper in the future, as of now this is the best time to buy a timeshare if you want to buy one.

Marriott is not exercising ROFR for all intents and purposes and lots of people got way over their heads and are giving away units for practically nothing. Best of both worlds for buyers.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...What has changed for me in this economic environment is that the prices have come down so much due to the temporary suspension of ROFR that I believe it does make sense now.

And, it's possible to get an extra pop later if Marriott starts exercising ROFR again.

Boca, if you purchase a high-demand Marriott platinum lock-off unit, after five years, most likely that resort will be sold out. You can then sell it through Marriott for 60% or retail. This was very common practice at HHI Marriotts the last few years. Nothing like many years of great Marriott use & trades and then potentially getting more than your original investment back it's over.

I have already put my Waiohai on the Marriott resale list knowing it will be several years before my name comes up. But it is easy enough to say NO in a few years when I do get that call.

Let's not also forget about the inevitable point system that Marriott will set at door steps next year. If I were a gambling man, I would bet that current owners will have some sort of advantage over those who purchase after inplementation of the new system.

Terry :D

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry,

This is a great way to leverage Marriott's current business model. They are foregoing the profit they can make with ROFR in favor of using their customers capital to fund their inventory. This is very smart in a time when capital is constrained.

So, if you can pick up a unit for a value far below what Marriott is selling them for, you can profit by having Marriott sell it for you. You just have to get in line and know how long that line is.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can tell you definitely that my expert point of view is that it is a very good time to purchase high end timeshares.

I totally agree with this statement. However, I emphasize the key phrase "high end". I've said this from day one, the only TS worth owning is the prime OF/OS/OV plat units at the high-end OF resorts, because otherwise you can rent almost anything else at a reasonable price. Just like in high end real estate, there will always be a market for high-end Plat TS.

Think of this. How many high-end TSs have you seen on ebay selling real low. I'm not talking GV or gold week units, because they have a much lower market. I'm talking Marriott plat OF/OS/OV Maui, Aruba, or Grand Ocean type units? Almost never because they don't have to dump them on ebay because they can get a decent price through broker or redweek type ads. Even now. Otherwise you would see these, because they are definaitely being sold, just not in a ebay fire sale.