• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Places to eat New Orleans

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Leaving for New Orleans next week. Traded into the Quarter House in the French Quarter. Yeah!

Any suggestions from Tugger's on where to eat, places to go would be welcome.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
This question comes up often on this board. Check out these previous threads:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60768&highlight=NOLA

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41208&highlight=NOLA

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35175&highlight=NOLA

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19453&highlight=NOLA

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895&highlight=NOLA

Or do another search yourself using 'new orleans' instead of 'NOLA.'

I also look at restaurant.com for certificates too.

The good news is you will not go hungry on New Orleans!

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
When is your check in? We are there from 9/26 - 10/1, also Quarter House.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
To both Quarter House tuggers, be sure to call ahead and asked NOT to be placed in the unit on the second floor directly above the strip club. It's a perfectly fine unit, but at 2 AM when the music is going BOOM BOOM BOOM, that you will appreciate not being over it.

Click New Orleans Dining on Off The Broiler.com for tons of blogs about our various eating experiences in NOLA. Two places, on opposite ends of the spectrum, you should definitely go to are Willie Mae's and Commander's Palace. Enjoy!

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. I was thinking of calling because I can NEVER sleep at night, and the last thing I need is noise!

Just called the Quarter House. They were TOTALLY unaccomodating. The person I spoke with told me that it is a mattrer of opinion which rooms are noisy. I told her that I would specifically like to NOT be in the room on the second floor above the strip club. I was told that the resort is surrounded by clubs, so that would not make a difference. Humm, obviously got no where. Also, we are landing in NO at 10AM. I requested an early check in. She told me that they do not make any accomodations for that at all. If your room is ready, you can check in.. If not, you then have to wait until 4PM. She was not even willing to flag our room assignment Rm 517 for an early check in. I told her that it was obvious that I was wasting my time, and she said, "yes, you are". I can see that they have great customer service.

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ann Marie,
You *were* wasting your time. Perhaps you should have asked here first. Oh, wait. You were going by what somebody else said. Unfortunately, they misrepresented how things work at Quarterhouse. Ownerships there are Fixed Unit, Fixed Week. So generally whatever unit the owner spacebanks is what you will get. If your unit is 517 it is on the fifth floor, so you won't have to worry about second floor issues. You still may have to worry about noise, I don't know if it is on a back alley, etc. It is an urban timeshare, and if you are a light sleeper you should probably pack earplugs. I'm not a light sleeper, and I still pack them.

On turnover day at a timeshare there are many units that have to be cleaned. If they do specific ones here and there first, then it takes a lot longer. If your unit is not ready, I'm sure they will let you leave your luggage if you want to drop it and go out to lunch, etc.

Fern

Thanks. I was thinking of calling because I can NEVER sleep at night, and the last thing I need is noise!

Just called the Quarter House. They were TOTALLY unaccomodating. The person I spoke with told me that it is a mattrer of opinion which rooms are noisy. I told her that I would specifically like to NOT be in the room on the second floor above the strip club. I was told that the resort is surrounded by clubs, so that would not make a difference. Humm, obviously got no where. Also, we are landing in NO at 10AM. I requested an early check in. She told me that they do not make any accomodations for that at all. If your room is ready, you can check in.. If not, you then have to wait until 4PM. She was not even willing to flag our room assignment Rm 517 for an early check in. I told her that it was obvious that I was wasting my time, and she said, "yes, you are". I can see that they have great customer service.

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry my advice was met with difficulty. When I stayed there (we're not owners), we were given that room. I don't know if was the one on my reservations or not. Anyway, in the AM I complained and they were fortunately able to switch us. I wanted to help you avoid having to deal with that. I told my MIL the same (she's booked for June 2009) and she said they called and put in their request, no issues. I would try calling again on Monday. Probably someone who is working on Saturday would not be working on Monday and might be more cooperative. Of course, if you are guaranteed the room on you confirmation, then there should be no problem.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked and our unit is 222. Is this going to be a noisy unit??
We will either have to join them or bring ear plugs, sleeping pills, or just enjoy a lot of the New Orlean adult beverages and sleep thru it!!

Ann Marie send you a PM.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Man, I have tried a combo of sleeing remedies, and just can not sleep. I will definately get some earplugs. Just to be on the safe side.
Mamadot, sent you a PM. We hopefully will be doing a TUG thing and get together. :banana:

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fern, thanks for your reply. I assumed that 517 was on the fifth floor, but sometimes it does not always work that way. I just thought that if they were not completely full, they would consider switching rooms. I'll just go with the flow, and buy earplugs.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ann Marie,
It definitely is on the fifth floor. If they aren't full, and you've seen your unit, and there is something majorly wrong with it, then they might move you. But otherwise, no. Its that way with most places which work on the fixed week, fixed unit system.

You probably aren't use to that because so many places are either floating time, floating unit or points, and no unit is automatically assigned on the exchange paper.

Fern

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Fern. I just figured that it still might be slow in NO because of the hurricane season.

Rod in Louisiana

TUG Member
Reaction score
To both Quarter House tuggers, be sure to call ahead and asked NOT to be placed in the unit on the second floor directly above the strip club. It's a perfectly fine unit, but at 2 AM when the music is going BOOM BOOM BOOM, that you will appreciate not being over it.

Click New Orleans Dining on Off The Broiler.com for tons of blogs about our various eating experiences in NOLA. Two places, on opposite ends of the spectrum, you should definitely go to are Willie Mae's and Commander's Palace. Enjoy!

LOL.....I've stayed in that exact unit and it is, indeed, noisy. The club is open around the clock, so the noise never stops. That having been said, it's a problem easily solved....with earplugs.

To the original poster.......you'll get current information on restaurants from frequent visitors and New Orleans residents if you'll log on to the New Orleans forum at www.tripadvisor.com.

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoy A Beignet At Cafe De Monte

ENJOYS A BEIGNET AT CAFE DE MONTE-- They are the greatest!!!:clap:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Look here for my recommendations.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hoc, I printed your sticky out from TS4M's. It is great. Thank you.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc's list is the best. I have eaten at most of the places on the list and all are great. You have to do lunch at Commander's palace. I think we had 5 different people waiting on the 2 of us at our table. Lunch is reasonably priced and you can eat dress casual (no coat and tie). I have never had service like that anywhere in my life.

Breakfast at Brennan's is a thing that you must do once when you go to New Orleans like you must go to the top of the Empire State Bldg at least once when in New York. Eat a muffaletta at central grocery and beignets at Cafet Dumonde. Eat a dozen or more oysters at Felixe's or Acme. Before you leave you must eat blackened red fish at one of the cajun restaurants and don't forget to start the meal off with gumbo.

Finding a place to eat in New Orleans is never a problem. The problem is finding the time and money to enjoy all that is available in the big easy.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too printed it out and hope to try most of them!! My husband loves po boys so I'm sure we will try out several places. He is from the south and can't wait for the raw oysters.

Called Quarter House and the said to take a cab from the airport and it should be $28 for 2. They also said room 222 had been completley remodeled and should have less noise.

Do they offer a cooking class at the hotel one day?? I thought I read something about it.

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
It the same block on Decatur:

Home of Chef Duke LoCicero and his New World Italian cuisine.
117 Decatur St, New Orleans

Excelland Italian food, opera on a Friday nights and the bar has the best martinis!!!!!!!!!!!!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
French Market Coffee.

Can't beat Cafe du Monde for cafe au lait et beignets.

Yum.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do they offer a cooking class at the hotel one day??

Even if they don't, the New Orleans Cooking School offers daily classes with all the classic foods. Not hands on, as the teacher does all the cooking and you watch. But you do get the recipes, you can ask all the questions you want, and you get to eat the food.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do they offer a cooking class at the hotel one day?? I thought I read something about it.

When you check in, the very helpful front desk staff will tell you what the scheduled QH activities are and what days they are on.

As for room assignments, in March 2008 we had an RCI reservation showing our room number. When we checked in we were assigned a different room. The answer I got when I asked about this was that RCI does a final room assignment the week of our arrival. What's on the RCI form often changes. The QH staff said the assignments were beyond their control. We still got a 2B unit, just a different room. It worked fine for us!

Bernie8245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're currently at Escapes to Orange Beach and we leave here Sunday 9-28 to go to the Quarter House and will be there until 10-4. We exchanged through II and the unit # on the exchange confirmation is 232A. I hope that is not the unit above the strip club but if it is at least I did bring ear plugs.
Bernie

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're currently at Escapes to Orange Beach and we leave here Sunday 9-28 to go to the Quarter House and will be there until 10-4. We exchanged through II and the unit # on the exchange confirmation is 232A. I hope that is not the unit above the strip club but if it is at least I did bring ear plugs.
Bernie

Did you bring a blindfold?

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bernie

What room did you actually get?