• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Palm Beach County Florida - Pools Reopening (Ocean Pointe & Oceana Palms)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
The social distancing rule of 2 metres (6") has widely been condemned as being plucked out of the air. Studies have already shown that the virus particles travel much further distances particularly as a result of coughing and heavy breathing after exertion. Studies have also found that smaller particles of the virus can travel long distances attached to pollutants. Therefore, for me, working out in a gym despite equipment being kept at "safe" distances, additional sterilisation etc it's still a breeding ground for transmission of the virus. All those heavily panting people, all that air being recirculated through the air conditioning, all those people who don't bother to sanitise (we've all seen many people exit the sauna or steam room, covered in sweat and then enter the hot tub without showering).

I haven't used my gym for over a year. I have some basic equipment that I keep in the shed or an outside storage box and even some in the lounge. My heavy duty sandbag replaces the bulk of the strength equipment I used to use, kettlebells and slamballs provide additional routines, all I miss is the heavy bag. I don't miss the gym, certainly don't miss the expensive monthly payment and my body hasn't suffered as a result.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
A lot of the pictures that have been making the rounds showing crowded beaches, are shot with a long zoom or telephoto lens. Zooms cause "compression", making farther objects appear closer to objects that are closer to the camera. We photographers use it all the time to create interesting images and perspective, but it can also be used to make things look more crowded than they really are. A crowded beach during a pandemic is a shot/video that will get published because that's news, but people behaving the way they should isn't news. Here's a post from another TUG thread that shows telephoto compression on a street scene.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/h...ing-air-passengers-merged.302976/post-2438014

I know for a fact that the photos that were published a couple weeks ago showing crowded Jacksonville, Florida beaches when they opened them up were shot with telephoto/zoom lenses, because after those shots made the rounds, local media in JAX felt their city was getting a bad rap, and shared drone or helicopter footage for the same place/time, that showed almost everyone was staying apart. But the ground level shots, with long lenses, told a different "story".

I don't know the exact situation in California, but apparently even the officials in Newport Beach dispute the beach crowding issue.

Newport Beach Disputes Beach Overcrowding

And last I saw, the California governor only shut down Orange County beaches.

Gov. Newsom Closes Orange County Beaches
Governor’s actions seem punitive. I am disturbed by some of the governors who seem to take more restrictive actions in reaction to the people voicing their frustrations.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just called Ocean Pointe, they said no pool open yet.

Also - WPTV just featured my little 5 year old hitting trick shots around the house. His name is Cameron, check out the WPTV website or the YoutTube page to see it...super cute! :)
It looks like the pools at Ocean Pointe are now open.

1588735758699.png

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It also looks like Oceana Palms has more facilities open than they do at Ocean Pointe.
1588735797920.png

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
There are too many idiotic and/or selfish people to say that people should make their own informed decisions. It's times like this when people need to be told what to do, like it or not. It is that very reason why places such as South Korea managed to contain the outbreak so quickly and successfully. There were no cries of "individual freedoms, the constitution etc", people obeyed the orders and now they're in a significantly better position than most other countries.

Amen, my friend.
One person's decision not to participate in simple safety precautions could easily cause others to get very sick, that's the whole point.
It CAN have life or death consequences, and most certainly HAS.....That's precisely how the "asymptomatic" spread has occurred!

A recent argument for a new "cultural divide" forming over mask-wearing, or one's becoming "neurotic" over the directive to do so,
are two of the most vacuous, imprudent, and foolish reactions I've ever heard on any subject.
I have a feeling the neurons are not firing at all in that impulsive rant.

For a very short time in this rare and historic worldwide pandemic, we are all beholden to act according
to our HIGHEST CALLING to do what is best for our fellow man. To do otherwise would only be a glimpse into one selfish soul.

For what OTHER time and place in our lifetimes should we be waiting to show our greatest altruistic motives, than NOW????

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are too many idiotic and/or selfish people to say that people should make their own informed decisions. It's times like this when people need to be told what to do, like it or not. It is that very reason why places such as South Korea managed to contain the outbreak so quickly and successfully. There were no cries of "individual freedoms, the constitution etc", people obeyed the orders and now they're in a significantly better position than most other countries.

It has been shown that many attempts to simply say here's the one reason why country X has fared better than country Y are not possible. There are many counter examples to simplistic explanations. We "know" the virus that hit NY and that entire area came from Europe and it was a worse strain than the one in Asia, it was mutated and much different. But there is a ton of data out there and eventually we will understand better. They said early on that they couldn't come up for a good reason why NY was faring so much worse than the west coast. The strain may well be the main reason.

I disagree that wearing masks was the one reason they did better. I think it's much more complex than that. Does it hurt though? No. I always wear one when around people outside the house. Except at the dentist office yesterday, as, well, you can guess why.

For a very short time in this rare and historic worldwide pandemic, we are all beholden to act according
to our HIGHEST CALLING to do what is best for our fellow man. To do otherwise would only be a glimpse into one selfish soul.

For what OTHER time and place in our lifetimes should we be waiting to show our greatest altruistic motives, than NOW????

I agree with you on this. It's hardly asking much and is easy to do.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
Called OceanPointe. 1 pool is open, they are looking at opening another later in the month. Beach is set to open next Monday. They are deciding on indoor seating or just carryout for the restaurant tomorrow.

Tennis court is open. Kids amenity center is still closed.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Called OceanPointe. 1 pool is open, they are looking at opening another later in the month. Beach is set to open next Monday. They are deciding on indoor seating or just carryout for the restaurant tomorrow.

Tennis court is open. Kids amenity center is still closed.
Could be a little outdated, but this is what Marriott's resort update site says about Ocean Pointe; https://hub.vacationclub.com/resort-updates/
1589503967843.png

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It looks like Palm Beach county beaches are opening on the 18th only to county residents. If you are staying at Ocean Pointe or Oceana Palms, will you still be allowed to use the beach?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Palm Beach county beaches are opening on the 18th only to county residents. If you are staying at Ocean Pointe or Oceana Palms, will you still be allowed to use the beach?

Regarding Ocean Pointe the answer is yes, HOWEVER you will need to have your Ocean Pointe identification with you to verify that you are currently physically staying at the resort.

The Sheriff's Office will be checking identifications in an effort to keep out folks from counties other than Palm Beach County. If you're staying at Ocean Pointe then you are entitled to use their beach.

I imagine the same will be true for Oceana Palms.