• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owning weeks in RCI

jradeackar

Reaction score
We bought weeks in RCI at Patriots Place in Williamsburg, VA, ages ago. Now RCI wants us to pay ridiculous dollars to convert to points. We went to the sales pitch and the first guy told us that our maintenance fee was going to go up astronomically to cover all the units in the building because everyone else had converted to points. He left
The 2nd guy told us we had to convert and it would cost us $10,000. He left. The 3rd guy told us we had to convert and it would cost us $25,000. He left. We left. What is the truth?
Also, out points bought us a bedroom and we paid to be on the waiting list for a 2 or 3 bedroom. I called in advance to request a 1st floor. We arrived and had to wait a long time for a unit. When we went to our unit we discovered it was tiny. Later we were told it was a studio. Are we bring treated poorly becace we have weeks?
Tyia,
Jean R
Annapolis. MD

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Patriots place is Wyndham, correct? Rci isn't trying to get you to convert anything. It would be wyndham and only if you want to. Did you book your home week or did you do an exchange through rci? I am not sure who you paid to be on the waitlist for the 2-3 bedroom. That sounds like a rci thing for an exchange but they only charge you if the upgrade comes through. If you booked through rci it should say whether it is a 1BR or a studio. Does it have a separate bedroom? There are some small 1 br villas. If you own with Wyndham they had an offer just around a year ago to convert to points for free. That being said if you own an off season week you will be paying a program fee and won't get that many points.

jradeackar

Reaction score
Patriots place is Wyndham, correct? Rci isn't trying to get you to convert anything. It would be wyndham and only if you want to. Did you book your home week or did you do an exchange through rci? I am not sure who you paid to be on the waitlist for the 2-3 bedroom. That sounds like a rci thing for an exchange but they only charge you if the upgrade comes through. If you booked through rci it should say whether it is a 1BR or a studio. Does it have a separate bedroom? There are some small 1 br villas. If you own with Wyndham they had an offer just around a year ago to convert to points for free. That being said if you own an off season week you will be paying a program fee and won't get that many points.
It was an exchange thru RCI. It said 1 bedroom. We own a 3 bedroom lockout during a red week.
Tyvm

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Did it have a door between the bedroom and the rest of the unit? If so it was a 1 BR. If rci didn't upgrade you then you didn't pre pay. It would only actually charge if the upgrade came through. If it was sales at Wyndham and you don't own a wyndham, they were just trying to sell you wyndham points. You don't have to go to the sales meeting but if you want what they are offering you have to expect a hard sell where they tell you what is wrong with what you own and their ability to fix it with a purchase from them.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We bought a week at a small independent resort affiliated with RCI in 1982. Many years later they tried to get us to convert it to points telling us if we didnt convert we would not be able to get into our own resort or many others within RCI. The cost to covert was more than the initial purchase price of our week so we told them we already bought the week once we weren't buying it again! Of course their story was a lie as we still use that week at that resort and have had no trouble exchanging it the very few times we have done that. We did like the idea of points so we eventually picked up a 77K RCI points deeded week for free and now enjoy both. We spent 10 nights at Patriots Place in May with about 1/4 of our annual points. We like that the exchange cost for staying 8-13 nights is the same as staying 7 nights.

~Diane

jradeackar

Reaction score
We bought a week at a small independent resort affiliated with RCI in 1982. Many years later they tried to get us to convert it to points telling us if we didnt convert we would not be able to get into our own resort or many others within RCI. The cost to covert was more than the initial purchase price of our week so we told them we already bought the week once we weren't buying it again! Of course their story was a lie as we still use that week at that resort and have had no trouble exchanging it the very few times we have done that. We did like the idea of points so we eventually picked up a 77K RCI points deeded week for free and now enjoy both. We spent 10 nights at Patriots Place in May with about 1/4 of our annual points. We like that the exchange cost for staying 8-13 nights is the same as staying 7 nights.

~Diane
Tyvm for the info. How did you get the points for free?

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Tyvm for the info. How did you get the points for free?

We met & got talking to an elderly couple by the pool at a resort in Florida while on vacation years ago. They told us their age and failing health was going to prevent them from travelling very soon and asked if we knew how they could get rid of their week, they already knew it had no value. They had no children and none of their other family members wanted the week. I showed them the TUG pages and explained about doing a transfer of ownership. They said if we agreed to take the week then they'd gladly pay all transfer costs. I checked to make sure what they said they owned was true (week 27 in a 2 bedroom in Pigeon Forge TN worth 77K RCI points) and we exchanged contact info. The transfer process was started before the end of the week! We have never stayed at that resort because we can get 3-5 vacations by using those points to stay at other resorts at different times of the year.

~Diane

jradeackar

Reaction score
We met & got talking to an elderly couple by the pool at a resort in Florida while on vacation years ago. They told us their age and failing health was going to prevent them from travelling very soon and asked if we knew how they could get rid of their week, they already knew it had no value. They had no children and none of their other family members wanted the week. I showed them the TUG pages and explained about doing a transfer of ownership. They said if we agreed to take the week then they'd gladly pay all transfer costs. I checked to make sure what they said they owned was true (week 27 in a 2 bedroom in Pigeon Forge TN worth 77K RCI points) and we exchanged contact info. The transfer process was started before the end of the week! We have never stayed at that resort because we can get 3-5 vacations by using those points to stay at other resorts at different times of the year.

~Diane
Ty. Lucky you.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
They are lucky. But it ain't that hard or expensive to get an affordable RCI Points ownership on the secondary market. Spend some time researching it on TUG if you are interested.

Ty. Lucky you.

DRIless

Reaction score
It was an exchange thru RCI. It said 1 bedroom. We own a 3 bedroom lockout during a red week.
Tyvm
Wyndham Patriots' Place has 5 types of units.
Studio sleeps2 380sqft
1BR sleeps4 511sqft (quite small for a 1BR!)
1BR Deluxe sleeps4 870sqft
2BR lockoff sleeps6 (Studio2+1BR4)
2BR Deluxe lockoff sleeps8 (1BR4+1BR4 Deluxe)

there are no 3BRs, review your ownership, you probably own the 2BR Deluxe lockoff sleeps8

When you volunteered for the owner update/SALES PRESENTATION you subjected yourself to the sales force and their lies.
You were being pressure to convert to Wyndham Points not RCI points.
Keep reading and keep asking questions, you don't have to convert.

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
You can continue to use your RCI weeks as traditional weeks. I actually find the Weeks program a little more convenient for my circumstances. I had two intervals enrolled in RCI Points and pulled one out (and back into Weeks) a couple of years ago. I left one in for exchanges only available in the Points program.

Sheila

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points is a racket, and it just feeds the timeshare sharks. I started getting out of RCI when they started RCI Points and got out completely when they turned RCI Weeks into Points Lite. I used independent exchange companies for a while with good success, but the last few years we have been down to one summer week on the NC Outer Banks which we use ourselves. Our son and his wife own another unit for the same week at the same resort. We just had a resale offer accepted to buy a second summer week on the Outer Banks. I once owned and traded 6 weeks through RCI but then they went to hell in a handbasket. We own to use, and if we can't use it one year, we will rent it. I still have a couple of deposits with the United Kingdom Resort Exchange that we will use at some point for UK canal boat exchanges.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I am both a user (that finds some value) and a critic of RCI.

I want them to modernize, have more affordable exchanges, and to have an all digital option.

Unlike @Carolinian, I generally like the idea of points (where you have transparency into the value of what you give up and what you trade into) and having TPUs to indicate such on the weeks side.

I wish all exchanges offered that level of transparency in exchanging.

However, I wish RCI would focus more on affordable exchanges. DEX offers all digital exchanges for $150 a pop and uses RCI on the back in for many of the changes … why can RCI not manage to do the same for their own loyal customers?

Points is a racket, and it just feeds the timeshare sharks. I started getting out of RCI when they started RCI Points and got out completely when they turned RCI Weeks into Points Lite. I used independent exchange companies for a while with good success, but the last few years we have been down to one summer week on the NC Outer Banks which we use ourselves. Our son and his wife own another unit for the same week at the same resort. We just had a resale offer accepted to buy a second summer week on the Outer Banks. I once owned and traded 6 weeks through RCI but then they went to hell in a handbasket. We own to use, and if we can't use it one year, we will rent it. I still have a couple of deposits with the United Kingdom Resort Exchange that we will use at some point for UK canal boat exchanges.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am both a user (that finds some value) and a critic of RCI.

I want them to modernize, have more affordable exchanges, and to have an all digital option.

Unlike @Carolinian, I generally like the idea of points (where you have transparency into the value of what you give up and what you trade into) and having TPUs to indicate such on the weeks side.

I wish all exchanges offered that level of transparency in exchanging.

However, I wish RCI would focus more on affordable exchanges. DEX offers all digital exchanges for $150 a pop and uses RCI on the back in for many of the changes … why can RCI not manage to do the same for their own loyal customers?

RCI has the worst possible take on transparency. The number of points may be transparent, but the important thing, the method of determining them is NOT. In the old days, their was no incentive for resorts to politick RCI for more trading power than they deserved and the fact that trading power was not published meant there would be no such incentive. Therefore trading power was generally pretty honest based on supply and demand. The important piece of transparency, the formula for determining trading power has never been published for RCI Points.

With published trading power, developers push RCI to increase their assigned points beyond what supply and demand would justify. The areas overbuilt in timeshare, for example, get way too much trading power. Also, as a general rule, sold out resorts get screwed and resorts still in developer sales get overpointed.

Having served a number of years as an HOA board member and as HOA president of a sold out resort on the NC Outer Banks, I will give you a case in point from the OBX. When RCI Points came in, the only timeshare developer still in developer sales was Barrier Island Station. Their two oceanfront resorts in Duck were sold out and they were selling their newest resort at Kitty Hawk which was not even in walking distance of the beach. On the rental market, their Kitty Hawk resort was the second lowest demand on the OBX, while the larger of their Duck resorts was second most in demand. Observations of exchange availability on RCI tracked that precisely. I talked to an exec of BIS about the time the rumors about RCI going to points were circulating and he told me in so many words that "if RCI goes to points, we are moving to II." When they later went RCI Points, I inquired of someone else familiar with the workings of BIS. What happened is that BIS very early had inquired how many points their Kitty Hawk resort would get and were not satisfied at all. Later, they negotiated further with RCI and arranged to get the points they wanted for Kitty Hawk by putting the other two resorts which they managed and controlled the HOA boards of, into points also but at absurdly low levels. Their sold out resorts were "sold out" on point allocations to help the developer sell their new resort which was overpointed in comparison. It was absurd for the low demand Kitty Hawk resort to carry more points than the high demand Duck resorts. (BTW, the highest demand resort on the OBX is Outer Banks Beach Club, and the lowest is the other off-the-beach resort, Seascape).

This is one example of the corruption is assigning point values in RCI that I am familiar with but looking at point values, it is hardly the only one. I did some old posts here on TUG when I got a hold of a points book showing some of the less than honest relative values.

If any non-developer points system sets up a published and verifiable methodology for assigning points, then I would consider using their system. As long as they are not transparent about how they do that, then corruption of the system will be endemic.

A points system within one developer's own resorts is likely to be more honest and there is less need to see the methodology. I would not hesitate to buy into Hapimag's point system for example, if I ever found a good deal on a resale (which is unlikely, however, due to the developer's buy-back program).

Many forget that the first exchange company to offer online exchanges was Timelinx, an independent exchange company based in Sweden. Timelinx was started by a group of business school grad students who put together the concept as a project in one of their courses and decided to actually pull the trigger and create it in real life. Timelinx also developed a timeshare resort at a chateau in France and opened a branch office in Asia (Singapore if memory serves). Unfortunately, the founders of the company sold it for a nice profit and the new owners thought they could make more money on timeshare scams and largely got out of the exchange business.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I get your point on this. But my view still holds more transparency is almost always better than less.

Transparency does not end game playing, but it makes it more obvious when it happens.

To me, your complaint is more from the resort level than from a consumer (entering the market today) type perspective. If I owned a unit when RCI Points was set up, I could see how one would get upset if the assigned point value did not seem fair.

However, the major complaint you have is crystal clear to anyone deciding to get into the RCI exchanging game today (and has been in place for well over a decade). Anyone purchasing today can exploit the fault you point out and work the points game to their advantage.

RCI also has to watch it having values too out of whack, or it is going to mess them up on the back end.

RCI has the worst possible take on transparency. The number of points may be transparent, but the important thing, the method of determining them is NOT. In the old days, their was no incentive for resorts to politick RCI for more trading power than they deserved and the fact that trading power was not published meant there would be no such incentive. Therefore trading power was generally pretty honest based on supply and demand. The important piece of transparency, the formula for determining trading power has never been published for RCI Points.

With published trading power, developers push RCI to increase their assigned points beyond what supply and demand would justify. The areas overbuilt in timeshare, for example, get way too much trading power. Also, as a general rule, sold out resorts get screwed and resorts still in developer sales get overpointed.

Having served a number of years as an HOA board member and as HOA president of a sold out resort on the NC Outer Banks, I will give you a case in point from the OBX. When RCI Points came in, the only timeshare developer still in developer sales was Barrier Island Station. There two oceanfront resorts in Duck were sold out and they were selling their newest resort at Kitty Hawk which was not even in walking distance of the beach. On the rental market, their Kitty Hawk resort was the second lowest demand on the OBX, while the larger of their Duck resorts was second most in demand. Observations of exchange availability on RCI tracked that precisely. I talked to an exec of BIS about the time the rumors about RCI going to points were circulating and he told me in so many words that "if RCI goes to points, we are moving to II." When they later went RCI Points, I inquired of someone else familiar with the workings of BIS. What happened is that BIS very early had inquired how many points their Kitty Hawk resort would get and were not satisfied at all. Later, they negotiated further with RCI and arranged to get the points they wanted for Kitty Hawk by putting the other two resorts which they managed and controlled the HOA boards of, into points also but at absurdly low levels. Their sold out resorts were "sold out" on point allocations to help the developer sell their new resort which was overpointed in comparison. It was absurd for the low demand Kitty Hawk resort to carry more points than the high demand Duck resorts. (BTW, the highest demand resort on the OBX is Outer Banks Beach Club, and the lowest is the other off-the-beach resort, Seascape).

This is one example of the corruption is assigning point values in RCI that I am familiar with but looking at point values, it is hardly the only one. I did some old posts here on TUG when I got a hold of a points book showing some of the less than honest relative values.

If any non-developer points system sets up a published and verifiable methodology for assigning points, then I would consider using their system. As long as they are not transparent about how they do that, then corruption of the system will be endemic.

A points system within one developer's own resorts is likely to be more honest and there is less need to see the methodology. I would not hesitate to buy into Hapimag's point system for example, if I ever found a good deal on a resale (which is unlikely, however, due to the developer's buy-back program).

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get your point on this. But my view still holds more transparency is almost always better than less.

Transparency does not end game playing, but it makes it more obvious when it happens.

To me, your complaint is more from the resort level than from a consumer (entering the market today) type perspective. If I owned a unit when RCI Points was set up, I could see how one would get upset if the assigned point value did not seem fair.

However, the major complaint you have is crystal clear to anyone deciding to get into the RCI exchanging game today (and has been in place for well over a decade). Anyone purchasing today can exploit the fault you point out and work the points game to their advantage.

RCI also has to watch it having values too out of whack, or it is going to mess them up on the back end.

Even from a new owner perspective, the new points-based RCI has a problem. The points system, by injecting other things into exchanging justifies RCI renting weeks to the general public, and what they do is cherry pick the system for rentals leaving their actual members with less options. They can also arbitrarily underpoint weeks they plan to rent out, and with a non-transparent system of assigning point values, one would really have to look to see that.

The resort where I served on the HOA board found that RCI was renting out many of our prime summer weeks at times of the year there was no room at the inn for exchangers wanting to come to the OBX. London, for years, has had the best low supply / high demand ratio in the world for timeshare, and after RCI went to points, Sloane Garden Court in London found that most of their exchange deposits were being used by RCI for rentals instead of given to exchangers, which is why they bailed out of RCI and went to SFX. They were a Weeks resort in RCI, but the link between Points and Weeks created a way for RCI to loot both Points and Weeks for their rental program, and it actually appears to have impacted Weeks worse than Points. My OBX resort was also Weeks but was being looted for rentals.