• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

owners.marriottvacationclub.com CURRENT IT ISSUES [MERGED]

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, only 5 at a time. 6th person breaks it. Not bad for an intel 286, dual floppy machine with MS Dos running Lotus 123 and Wordstar.

Is there any chance that they threw a rod and are going to have to rebuild from scratch?

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, only 5 at a time. 6th person breaks it. Not bad for an intel 286, dual floppy machine with MS Dos running Lotus 123 and Wordstar.

Is there any chance that they threw a rod and are going to have to rebuild from scratch?
Reminds me of one of Mr. Wonderful's more colorful critiques. I think it's time they just take this website behind the barn and shoot it.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points

Is that the fancy Lotus 123 with Always?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
When I was working with mission-critical (7/24/365) high volume transaction systems and we needed to do a software upgrade, we thoroughly tested it before the cutover. We would do things like set up a separate dedicated server or servers for the new software, would do "load testing", ran old data through it offline and if appropriate run the test system in parallel with the old system. We always did a backup before cutover so if there was a "glitch" in the upgrade, we could revert to the previous version and lick our wounds and figure out why it didn't work. Being self-critical of my software group, I would probably give only get a B- grade in terms of software expertise but we never lost customer data, lost a single transaction or had a system inoperative for as long as the Marriott system has been. In the 15 years since I retired, I'm sure that the state of the art in software testing has progressed ... except perhaps with the Marriott technical folks.

wballoni

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean platinum
In the 15 years since I retired, I'm sure that the state of the art in software testing has progressed ... except perhaps with the Marriott technical folks.
Very true statement about state-of-the-art. But even doing this the "old" way should not have resulted in such significant, and apparently unanticipated, downtime of an Internet-facing application. Sure, the effort might be very high given how the complexity of such applications has grown over the years, but that's the price of making a controlled upgrade. It appears that MVC simply didn't do the kind of preparation you mentioned, with the result being the significant downtime we are seeing.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not expect the owner website to be down still - 4 days later. I wonder when we'll be able to make reservations again on-line

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not expect the owner website to be down still - 4 days later. I wonder when we'll be able to make reservations again on-line
Next cold day in hell, when pigs fly, or when that snowball finally makes it in hell??

dan_hoog

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was working with mission-critical (7/24/365) high volume transaction systems and we needed to do a software upgrade, we thoroughly tested it before the cutover. We would do things like set up a separate dedicated server or servers for the new software, would do "load testing", ran old data through it offline and if appropriate run the test system in parallel with the old system. We always did a backup before cutover so if there was a "glitch" in the upgrade, we could revert to the previous version and lick our wounds and figure out why it didn't work. Being self-critical of my software group, I would probably give only get a B- grade in terms of software expertise but we never lost customer data, lost a single transaction or had a system inoperative for as long as the Marriott system has been. In the 15 years since I retired, I'm sure that the state of the art in software testing has progressed ... except perhaps with the Marriott technical folks.
Very well said. I have a similar experience.

Even an average team with average deployment approaches won't suffer multi-day outages in an upgrade. I've never seen a planned outage for 15 hours. Upgrades may take that long, but the planned outage should be a window at the end.

Most groups would have reverted to the prior setup within hours. Maybe they did a destructive in-place upgrade. Maybe they were hacked during the upgrade.

Really disappointing.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I think the attitude towards software development has significantly changed. Even major companies have adopted more of an "app" approach where you make incremental changes and then have your users act as the testers and identify bugs in the system. Updates can easily be pushed out to users remotely. Long gone are the days when we made sure it worked - the first time.

VickBill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
Marriott Sabal Palms
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Come on guys, that just way too high of a bar to be satisfied! For weeks, I've been getting "Fatal Error" or "Outside Booking Window" messages in response to most of my searches. Maybe if things work 10 to 20% of the time???
It’s been all year for me. As chairman’s club I was disable for months bc of the volume of my points. As were hundred of other owners. Really bad business. This website is horrible and after many tries to update it they keep failing. Meanwhile they have our money

VickBill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
Marriott Sabal Palms
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott Cypress Harbor
I am not sure what promise was made?
A website that works. It’s absolutely pathetic. They need an entire new IT department. No company is this horrible with a website.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think the attitude towards software development has significantly changed. Even major companies have adopted more of an "app" approach where you make incremental changes and then have your users act as the testers and identify bugs in the system. Updates can easily be pushed out to users remotely. Long gone are the days when we made sure it worked - the first time.
I feel this. I use a specialized software and over the past 5 or so years I have sadly realized that the users *are* the beta testers. Definitely frosts my wheaties as we pay tens of thousands for this software. And when I find a bug it takes me at least two hours on the phone to get through to support only to have the "no one else has reported that" discussion until we reach the "thanks for letting us know. We will pass this along to the analysts and it will up updated in a future release". It is honestly part of the reason that I am retiring. I don't have the patience to deal with this any more.

My condolences to all of the Marriott owners. Even though I have a Vistana unit it is strictly a trader so I am only on the website once a year when I pay maintenance fees. There is nothing more frustrating than a non-functioning website.

joe0125

Reaction score
Being an IT professional for 35+ years, this is unacceptable. Should of had a rollback strategy, etc. It is 2022, plenty of ways to test changes prior to go live. Anyone know the vendor they used to do this work???? When I lived in CT, the DMV did a systems upgrade. They planned a week to be offline, were down for three weeks due to all the issues!!!!

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I feel this. I use a specialized software and over the past 5 or so years I have sadly realized that the users *are* the beta testers. Definitely frosts my wheaties as we pay tens of thousands for this software. And when I find a bug it takes me at least two hours on the phone to get through to support only to have the "no one else has reported that" discussion until we reach the "thanks for letting us know. We will pass this along to the analysts and it will up updated in a future release". It is honestly part of the reason that I am retiring. I don't have the patience to deal with this any more.

My condolences to all of the Marriott owners. Even though I have a Vistana unit it is strictly a trader so I am only on the website once a year when I pay maintenance fees. There is nothing more frustrating than a non-functioning website.
sounds a lot like the specialty bankruptcy software i use

craigc

TUG Member
Reaction score
1659635331992.png

This is pathetic!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
sounds a lot like the specialty bankruptcy software i use
Mine is finance related too. It is a hot mess. If you are going to make me beta test it for free, the least you could do is answer the phone/chat.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Apparently,Marriot is trying to change the definition of diligently…..its all a bunch of pathetic B.S…...PERIOD!

Last edited:

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
i asked tech support to send me a pic of their server room.

View attachment 61622
I used to have a pic of a datacenter at a relatively sought-after College in Boston. The Professional Services team that went onsite to deploy a product of ours took the pic. The pic showed them using metal coat hangers as their wiring trays, all over the place. Imagine a bunch of racks full of gear all connected by a spiders web of cables, suspended by coat hangers. It was baffling to see, since the ASP of the product we sold them was $2.3M at that time.

This company we are all fed up with was a customer of ours for a long time as well. At some point over the last few years, they decided to replace our systems with another, saying their application performance was not good on our systems. I now have to wonder if their application performance was not good because of their application, not the infrastructure it lived on.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
anyone else getting the website "redirected me too many times".
My husband was a senior systems architect at Marriott headquarters (now passed away) but problems there back then were due to promoting people from within to jobs they were not qualified for. Sadly I am guessing happening again. My husband had worked 40 plus years at Oracle/IBM/BMC/HP--it was a frustrating environment for him.

dan_hoog

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband was a senior systems architect at Marriott headquarters (now passed away) but problems there back then were due to promoting people from within to jobs they were not qualified for. Sadly I am guessing happening again. My husband had worked 40 plus years at Oracle/IBM/BMC/HP--it was a frustrating environment for him.

This suggests to me they don't even know how to get a working 'not working' page up. I didn't look with a trace, but this is pretty basic.

I either get the redirect error or the page with a sorry about our problems box.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Yes..a few times this morning