• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Fees and SPG points

mindy35

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the phone with SVO, SPG & AmEX yesterday for an hour..........apparently, no one has ever asked this question before. I was quite surprised and still don't have a definitive answer!

If you pay your yearly maintenance fees with the SPG AmEx, do you get the triple (Elite) SPG points bonus as with other Starwood purchases or is it just the dollar for dollar?

They are currently trying to research how the purchase is worded on the charge....if it says "Starwood" or "Westin" they think yes.....if it's labeled another way, it would be no. They should be getting back to me today.

Anyone had any experience with this or even able look at their past statement to give us a clue?

:confused:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the phone with SVO, SPG & AmEX yesterday for an hour..........apparently, no one has ever asked this question before. I was quite surprised and still don't have a definitive answer!

If you pay your yearly maintenance fees with the SPG AmEx, do you get the triple (Elite) SPG points bonus as with other Starwood purchases or is it just the dollar for dollar?

They are currently trying to research how the purchase is worded on the charge....if it says "Starwood" or "Westin" they think yes.....if it's labeled another way, it would be no. They should be getting back to me today.

Anyone had any experience with this or even able look at their past statement to give us a clue?

:confused:

You do not get triple the points.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I'm a gold member and I get $ for $ on points.

I've never gotten extra points for Starwood purchases. Am I suppose to?

Tina

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
If you pay your MFs on your SPG Amex, you should get double Starpoints. I have no idea about Elite points since we are not Elite.

Looking at my statement, it reads:

KA'ANAPALI CONDO OPE
Arrival date
Departure date
LODGING

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I'm a gold member and I get $ for $ on points.

I've never gotten extra points for Starwood purchases. Am I suppose to?

Tina

Tina,

Do you pay your dues on your SPG AMEX? It should show up in a separate listing under "Double Starpoints Bonus."

As Gold members, we receive double points for some charges at WKORV as well.

HeyRef

Reaction score
I do pay my MF with my AMEX and have always gotten double points.
Dave

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Okay I looked at Spg.com a little closer. Do they put the extra points on a separate line? I was looking at my AE bill amount I paid for Feb and saw that amount of points being added but didn't notice the separate line for double points. I see it now. So, I do get double points. Thank goodness...

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
I get double points as well.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
The American Express statement should have a line like this:
Activity Amount Post Date Description
Earn + 1785 12/25/2007 SPG AX - STARWOOD SPEND CNSMR

That indicates the extra points earned from spending at Starwood.

mindy35

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I read these responses, I doubted myself so I called AmEx & SPG:

For regular purchases:

It's $ for $ per point

For Starwood Property stays:

1 point for every dollar spent
+
3 bonus points from SPG for being a Gold Prefered

which actually totals 4 SPG points for every dollar spent at Starwood Properties. Yeah!

The sticking point, it seems, is how the actual charge is listed (worded) on the AmEx bill (not the listing of accrued or awarded bonus points):

For ex.: if it says "Starwood fee" ...the answer would be "yes"
if it says "Annual Maintenance Fee payment"...the answer would be "no"

Can someone look over their AmEx bill from past years and recite how the payment is described on the statement??

Thanks

mindy35

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The sticking point, it seems, is how the actual charge is listed (worded) on the AmEx bill (not the listing of accrued or awarded bonus points):

if it says "Annual Maintenance Fee payment"...the answer would be "no" "

Here's the answer to my own question:

I ultimately chose to make my payment with my TYN points card instead because I did not think I would get the bonus points on the Starwood SPG Am Ex.

The fee is listed on my bill as:

KA'ANAPALI CONDO OPERA 407-852-4670 FL

I believe I was correct in doubting I would receive the extra 3 SPG points per dollar.

Last edited:

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you only get the extra points if you use the SPG Amex.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I read these responses, I doubted myself so I called AmEx & SPG:

For regular purchases:

It's $ for $ per point

For Starwood Property stays:

1 point for every dollar spent
+
3 bonus points from SPG for being a Gold Prefered

which actually totals 4 SPG points for every dollar spent at Starwood Properties. Yeah!

The sticking point, it seems, is how the actual charge is listed (worded) on the AmEx bill (not the listing of accrued or awarded bonus points):

if it says "Annual Maintenance Fee payment"...the answer would be "no"

Can someone look over their AmEx bill from past years and recite how the payment is described on the statement??

Thanks

as a gold member you get 3 starpoints when you stay at a hotel and if you use to pay for it with your starwood amex card you will double for that, so technically you are getting 5 starpoints when you stay at a hotel paying cash.'

one other thing as a vacation owner if you eat at a hotel restaurant and even if you are not staying there you will get 3 starpoints per $ plus pay with starwood amex you will get 2 starpoints so again you will get 5 starpoints per $. but you will have to send in a copy of the restaurant receipt to starwood, because they cannot track it any other way. i have done this many times. there are a few wonderful restaurants in NYC that are attached to starwood hotels so we reap the benefit.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My statement reads "Kaanapali dues" or something like that. Since my billing cycle hasn't closed yet on my SPG Amex, I can't see if I've gotten the bonus points yet.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have sent Mystarcentral a similar question via email. I am also still waiting on a response.

We paid our dues early March and i've been given 800 and some odd Starpoints. I also thought by paying it with my AMEX (which has been paid off as well) that i would receive 3 or 4 times the points.

I call Starwood preferred guest services and was told I would need to contact the Vacation ownership for this question. I emailed them yesterday via mystarcentral mailbox. . .will let you know when/if I hear anything back.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have sent Mystarcentral a similar question via email. I am also still waiting on a response.

We paid our dues early March and i've been given 800 and some odd Starpoints. I also thought by paying it with my AMEX (which has been paid off as well) that i would receive 3 or 4 times the points.

I call Starwood preferred guest services and was told I would need to contact the Vacation ownership for this question. I emailed them yesterday via mystarcentral mailbox. . .will let you know when/if I hear anything back.

maintenance fees paid with the starwood amex will get you double the maintenance fees and that's it. the only time you get 3x is when you stay at a hotel and pay a qualified rate. when you use cash and points you do not get 3x the starpoints for the cash portion only 2x from amex.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about if you buy a timeshare directly from Sarwood. Do you get 3x points for that or twice?

Also, can you transfer SPs from one account (mine) to another (DH's)? Is there a fee?

Thanks! Katherine

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Kath - you can transfer Starpoints between two people at the same address and there is no fee.

To make the transfer call 1 888 625 4988. It cannot be done online. Make sure you have all your Acct. info. for both Accts. handy including Acct. numbers, log in names and passwords. It's also helpful if both of you are available when the call is made, in case Starwood wants to verify anything with your spouse.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
How about if you buy a timeshare directly from Sarwood. Do you get 3x points for that or twice?

Only HOTEL STAYS get extra points based on your gold or platinum status.

Starwood Amex points have nothing to do with your starwood status, but everyone gets double points for purchases from starwood.

Also, can you transfer SPs from one account (mine) to another (DH's)? Is there a fee?

That's easy. Just make sure you and your husband have the same address in the system, then call Starwood and the transfer will happen instantly.

BTW, although the Starwood T&C's say this kind of transfer can only be done between spouses, they don't actually enforce that requirement.

BBTW, the T&C's also permit transfers between SVO [or SVN?] owners without any same address or family relationship requirement.

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oops.

Denise types faster than me as always.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. So a TS purchase gets double points just like MF payments.

But if you stay at a hotel and pay for your room, you get 2x points for Gold and 3x for Platinum? Do I have it right?

Thanks guys! Kath

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. So a TS purchase gets double points just like MF payments.

But if you stay at a hotel and pay for your room, you get 2x points for Gold and 3x for Platinum? Do I have it right?

Thanks guys! Kath

hi, you get 3x gold or plat and 28 whrn you pay for the hotel stay with you amex.
as a vacation owner you also get starpoints if you eat in a restaurant that is in a starwood hotel (3x + 2 for amex) but that need to be faxed in.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still confused. :confused:

Say I buy a $50,000 timeshare on my Am Ex card and I am not Gold or Platinum (just "preferred guest" on SPG). How many points do I get?

I buy $50,000 timeshare on Am Ex and I am gold with SPG. How many points?

Same question but I have platinum status with SPG, how many points do I get in the end?

Thanks! Katherine