• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Fees and SPG points

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kath-

You will only get 1 SPG point per dollar spent for the SVO timeshare purchase regardless of status (same as any other non-Starwood item you would purchase on your Starwood AMEX).

For charges made at Starwood properties, you receive the following:

- 1 SPG point per dollar from AMEX (again, same as any non-Starwood purchase)
- 2 SPG points per dollar spent regardless of status
- 1 add'l SPG point per dollar spent for Golds & Plats (total of 4 points per dollar - 3 from SPG, 1 from AMEX)

That make sense?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! So MFs are considered just a regular charge, just like TS purchases?

Katherine

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have received 2 SPG points for MF's - the regular one from AMEX + another one listed on my SPG statement as "SPG AX - STARWOOD SPEND CNSMR".

No double points from Starwood & no Gold bonus. I am not sure if this is the "official policy" but that is the way it has gone for me.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have received 2 SPG points for MF's - the regular one from AMEX + another one listed on my SPG statement as "SPG AX - STARWOOD SPEND CNSMR".

No double points from Starwood & no Gold bonus. I am not sure if this is the "official policy" but that is the way it has gone for me.

Same here.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kath-

You will only get 1 SPG point per dollar spent for the SVO timeshare purchase regardless of status (same as any other non-Starwood item you would purchase on your Starwood AMEX).

For charges made at Starwood properties, you receive the following:

- 1 SPG point per dollar from AMEX (again, same as any non-Starwood purchase)
- 2 SPG points per dollar spent regardless of status
- 1 add'l SPG point per dollar spent for Golds & Plats (total of 4 points per dollar - 3 from SPG, 1 from AMEX)

That make sense?

if you purchase a developer week from starwood and you use your starwood amex to pay for it you will get double starpoints it is the same for payment of MF's.

at hotels all gold and plat get 3x starpoints plus if you use the starwood amex as the credit card on file at the hotel you will get 2x the amount. so in actuality you will get 5 starpoints per $

as a vacation owner if you eat at a hotel resaurant and are not staying there you will get 3 starpoints per $ for the amount of the the bill. you will have to send it in through mail or fax it.

if you go to a starwood spa you will not get 3 starpoints per $. you will only receive 1 starpoint per $ but if you pay for it with your starwood amex you will get an additional 2 starpoints per $.

does all this make sense?

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you purchase a developer week from starwood and you use your starwood amex to pay for it you will get double starpoints it is the same for payment of MF's.

at hotels all gold and plat get 3x starpoints plus if you use the starwood amex as the credit card on file at the hotel you will get 2x the amount. so in actuality you will get 5 starpoints per $

I'll take you word on the developer purchase double points. I will have to double-check my records at home to see if I got the SPG points on my developer purchase from a while back.

I will stand by my statement that you get 4 points total per dollar on Starwood spending via the Starwood AMEX - 1 point from AMEX, 2 points from SPG & a "50% Gold or Plat " bonus from SPG which is 1 add'l point. It is a 50% bonus - not 100% as you wrote.

From spg.com:

"Faster Free Nights. Elite Preferences. Good As Gold.

Earn Free Night Awards faster. Increase your rewards to 3 Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent -- a 50% bonus over Preferred Guests."

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I will stand by my statement that you get 4 points total per dollar on Starwood spending via the Starwood AMEX - 1 point from AMEX, 2 points from SPG & a "50% Gold or Plat " bonus from SPG which is 1 add'l point. It is a 50% bonus - not 100% as you wrote.

From spg.com:

Earn Free Night Awards faster. Increase your rewards to 3 Starpoints for every eligible U.S. dollar spent -- a 50% bonus over Preferred Guests."

I'm a gold and I looked over my statement carefully when I got it a few weeks ago. I received 1 point for every dollar spent that month + $1787 "bonus" points, which is a total of 2 total points for my MFs.

Now, this was conveniently around the time when a lot of SPG members were mysteriously downgraded from gold, so that could explain why we didn't receive the gold bonus. My statement gives an arrival date and a departure date, as if I had stayed there, so it would be odd if gold members didn't get the bonus points. However, I think the timeshares do not earn bonus points when SpG members stay, so maybe no one gets the bonus points.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a gold and I looked over my statement carefully when I got it a few weeks ago. I received 1 point for every dollar spent that month + $1787 "bonus" points, which is a total of 2 total points for my MFs.

Now, this was conveniently around the time when a lot of SPG members were mysteriously downgraded from gold, so that could explain why we didn't receive the gold bonus. My statement gives an arrival date and a departure date, as if I had stayed there, so it would be odd if gold members didn't get the bonus points. However, I think the timeshares do not earn bonus points when SpG members stay, so maybe no one gets the bonus points.

Lisa-

I was talking about money spent during Starwood stays w/ regards to 4 total SPG points per dollar spent. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I have also received 2 points per dollar for MF's (1 for the SPG Amex charge & 1 from Starwood).

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take you word on the developer purchase double points. I will have to double-check my records at home to see if I got the SPG points on my developer purchase from a while back.

From spg.com:

if you purchased your developer week prior to when amex changed to double starpoints for all starwood purchases then you only received 1 starpoint for the purchase. they changed to the double about 2-3 years ago. i don't know the exact date.

we are saying the same thing but in a different way. the outcome is the same we are still getting 3 starpoints at a hotel stay. i never said you get 100%.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you purchased your developer week prior to when amex changed to double starpoints for all starwood purchases then you only received 1 starpoint for the purchase. they changed to the double about 2-3 years ago. i don't know the exact date.

we are saying the same thing but in a different way. the outcome is the same we are still getting 3 starpoints at a hotel stay. i never said you get 100%.

You said 5 points per dollar spent during stays & I am saying 4 points total. So...I think we are saying different things.

:D

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You said 5 points per dollar spent during stays & I am saying 4 points total. So...I think we are saying different things.

:D

3 points from starwood for being gold or platinum and 2 points from using the amex card. in my book that adds up to 5 starpoints per $. comes from 2 different places but it ends up in my 1 starwood account.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
3 points from starwood for being gold or platinum and 2 points from using the amex card. in my book that adds up to 5 starpoints per $. comes from 2 different places but it ends up in my 1 starwood account.

I did not realize that you got double points from AMEX for Starwood charges. I guess I should start looking at my statements a little more carefully. I have had a few Starwood business stays this year they but were paid with my Corporate (non-SPG) Amex.

5 points per SPG dollar is great. Thanks for straightening me out!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

I"ll have to scrutinize my SPG account to see if this is the case with me. If so, it would be sweet.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you look at you spg account you will see amex for the month and then an additional amex right after it, that is your doubled starpoints for a starwood charge.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I looked at my SPG acount - I got twice SPs for paying our MFs with SPG AMEX. 1x for the 'Base Spend' as normal, and an additional 1x for the 'Starwood Spend'.

If people are getting more than this for paying their MFs (confirmed) - then please let me know.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at my SPG acount - I got twice SPs for paying our MFs with SPG AMEX. 1x for the 'Base Spend' as normal, and an additional 1x for the 'Starwood Spend'.

If people are getting more than this for paying their MFs (confirmed) - then please let me know.

It sounds like the consensus is:

- 2 points for MF's (1 from Amex charge & 1 from SPG)
- 4 points total for SPG Amex charges associated with Starwood stays (if no SPG status)
- 5 points total for SPG Amex charges associated with Starwood stays (gold or platinum status)