• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our westgate experiences have been good

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Can someone help us out here? A bunch of links to blogs isn't that easy to wade through. Can there be a specific list of crimes and convictions provided, names, dates etc? I tried a few of these links, and found nothing in them except what looked like ancient real estate arguments, and something about picketing? Or perhaps don't bother unless we are talking felonies. I don't have time to start worrying about if someone who owns something I use is accused of being sleazy. Sleazy is part of the culture, isn't it? I won't use a Hilton property now, because Paris is a bit off, even went to jail, probably influenced a bunch of young girls the wrong way, and boys too.

I hope this Google link works and you can read 8500+ pure complaints about the Wategate operation and experience.

merc

Reaction score
If a moderator tries to move the discussion in his preferred direction, is that person a moderator? I asked for specifics on what exactly the criminal actions referred to in previous post are. It should be a simple question given all the hubbub. If Seagal is a criminal, please provide the details. Otherwise, it is simply leibel, and you should stop this angle of discussion.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If all you want is the guilt here it is

If a moderator tries to move the discussion in his preferred direction, is that person a moderator? I asked for specifics on what exactly the criminal actions referred to in previous post are. It should be a simple question given all the hubbub. If Seagal is a criminal, please provide the details. Otherwise, it is simply leibel, and you should stop this angle of discussion.

One enough (or you want the whole list of reports of the guilty verdict?)

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
In deference to and memory of KenK :( , his love of FL, and the shock of his leaving us, I would have preferred not to go into this today, or for however long, but I have to say a little here, or I'll forget to.

Those of us here who have warned of the Sleaze (capitalized because it is capital Sleaze>>>Sleaze, business Sleaze, sexual/sexist Sleaze, perverted Sleaze, wealthy Sleaze & Timeshare Sleaze, all the Sleazes in one bundle), not because of idle speculation but because we experienced it for many years, have been criticized for dwelling on our bad experiences, as if we are the only ones to have had them. Folks have asked for the evidence.

Now, we are providing that, proof of First Degree Sleaze, an actual conviction, along with links to thousands of others saying the same as us.

Now we are being criticized because there is too much to wade through. :rofl:

Well, yes there is. That's exactly the point. You can find others saying the same all the way to the last page of the Internet. ;) Get out your hip waders, and start wading if you want to learn more about your investment.

FWIW, we have pre-waded for you, and provided links, to save you a lot of time. All anyone has to do is click and read. Yes, the complaints go back 30 years, to the taking of money from foreigners for their dream retirement places, where there still are no roads, as the prosecutor might say, to establish a pattern of behavior.

We are just the messengers, so please don't try to make us the news, the lead story. No one ever blamed Walter Cronkite for all the bad things he told us about.

But, if you like Sleaze as part of your culture, and I am just taking your words at face value, since there are no smilies ;) , then there is no need for you to do anything.

A bunch of links to blogs isn't that easy to wade through. Can there be a specific list of crimes and convictions provided, names, dates etc? I tried a few of these links, and found nothing in them except what looked like ancient real estate arguments, and something about picketing? . . . . Sleazy is part of the culture, isn't it?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
That issue has come up here from time to time over the years, many times now.

In each and every case it has been determined that moderators here are people, too, and may express their own opinions, even if it appears to influence a discussion. Here they are not referees, who are typically best when you don't notice they are there.

In fact, moderators are typically selected because they do have an interest, and opinions, about the board they moderate. Why else would a person do something like that for free?

At the same, it has been determined over the years that criticism cannot be of a personal nature, directed at a person's behavior (commonly referred to as a behavior lecture), but must be directed at the topic at hand. John, I and others have made a great effort to keep focused on the message, Sleaze at WG, and not on our detractors, virtually all who have a dog in the fight because they own at WG.

I realize that in saying these things I am on the brink of violating what I am saying, but I mean to be saying what I am saying in a general nature and not toward anyone specific, that let's focus on the issue and not on the other posters.

If a moderator tries to move the discussion in his preferred direction, is that person a moderator?

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Moderator, Shmodderayter.

If a moderator tries to move the discussion in his preferred direction, is that person a moderator?
Just because it's somebody's opinion doesn't make it wrong.

Not all opinions are "just opinions." Some are based on rock-solid fact & hard-earned real-world experience. Those views are freely available to us regular walking-around doofuses so that we don't have to learn everything the hard way.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

It's up to us peons out here in the peanut gallery to check'm all out & see for ourselves which opinions are gold & which are baloney. There's no shortage of both kinds out there on the Internet in general & even here on TUG-BBS in particular. (Although I have to say I generally encounter less baloney on TUG than on some other Internet spots I know about. So it goes.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought westgate before we had any idea of the "issues". before research. It wasen't a very bright thing to do with out some sort of looking around to find out what is what but we did and now we are owners. that is that, just like many , many people. now we can make the best of it, or... what?? I am glad that there are people that are happy with them and sad that they obviously have some problems in the timeshare community which I don't fully understand. Is there anywhere that a westgate owner can go to get answers and socialize without the constant criticism? almost every westgate post that I have located on these boards has so far had rude comments and negative connotations associated with it that make a person feel unwelcome and stupid. I don't feel welcome here and am very hesitant to even ask a question. Maybe there should be a statement in the sign up portion that clearly states that westgate owners are not welcome and should post at their own risk. . maybe I can get my 15 bucks back? not likely. anyway keep up the good work of educating the unknowing and helping the (nonwestgateowners)public learn how to use their vacation times to the fullest. .:shrug:
we are in with westgate and there is nothing we can do about it now. END

This is sad. We are supposed to be a group of people that help others, not make them feel guilty or outcasted. I have owned at WVV for 12 years. Thier trading policy right and other corporate decisions are a problem for me but the resorts I have been to which include WVV (my unit), Lakes, Vegas and Park City have all been very nice. Park City is one of my top 3 of all the resorts I have been to. In other words I can see both sides. Its nice to know what you are up against so maybe you can plan a little differently. Im not selling WVV because it still serves the purpose I bought it for. Just like Steamboat, I feel that I have received good value for my purchase.

Ask away, dont know if I can help but I will try.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
FWIW, me too.

As a former owner, the problems certainly are not the owners fault. Owners should not take comments about the operation personally.

In other words I can see both sides. .

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to add a few of my thoughts on this. Sorry if this gets a little long but I have more than a few.

Yes, David S. has been lawfully convicted in a court of law on sexual harrasment charges.

Yes, this is an embarresment to Westgate and all of it's owners and employess.

Yes, there are plenty of stories of people having some sort problem with their ownership experience whether it is in the buying, reserving, paperwork or maintenance department etc.

But I truly believe it's not a bad place to stay. The resorts themselves are very nice. The best resort? Who knows, but most probably not. I haven't visited lots of other resorts but I have done enough to know that their properties are in pretty good shape and are at least as nice as the majority of the other so called resorts out there. Just today I drove through the grounds of both WVV and WGL and found them to be in very good shape. I have yet to be inside a better bigger unit.

Heck I recently read the entire thread on the worst timeshare you have ever stayed at and guess who wasn't mentioned? Yup WG. I am sure someone will add them now but through two and a half years and 268 posts no mention yet. (God I hope I didn't miss one).

I see plenty of threads and posts about complaints and problems with Marriott, Orange Lake, Vistana etc. No place is perfect as we can see by the number of complaints by various Tuggers on numerous properties.

I am currently staying at Summer Bay and don't find this place to be any better in any aspect. In fact the complimentary RCI points/Summer Bay rep that our check in person signed us up for was probably the rudest in your face sales weasel I have ever encountered.

As for Dave S. legal problem's. That's a real black eye for sure and can't be defended in any way shape or form and he should pay for it as severely as anyone else would. If someone is offended by his actions that is very understandable and congratulations to you if you are able to make a stand against him. However, there are executives of many companies sentenced and or charged on similiar circumstances regularly. Morally if you want to avoid these companies that's up to you. If you invest your money in morally or socially responsible funds then your actions are speaking louder than your words. The truth of the matter is though, is that most people don't.

There are several Tuggers who post over and over again their negative thoughts and opinions on WG. I wouldn't for a moment suggest they shouldn't be able to exercise their right to do so, but I too feel the same way as other WG owners have indicated in this thread, that we are beat up, spoken down to, intimidated or shamed because we own a Westgate property. The statement that Westgate Owners are not welcome here is a genuine feeling that one gets when reading the same negative posts over and over.

I think that makes about 8 people. Going for 9!

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

Heck I recently read the entire thread on the worst timeshare you have ever stayed at and guess who wasn't mentioned? Yup WG. I am sure someone will add them now but through two and a half years and 268 posts no mention yet. (God I hope I didn't miss one).

That's pretty funny....I don't read that thread as I want to focus on finding the BEST timeshares, not the worst. But it is nice to hear WG avoided any mention in that list.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not the worst but far from the best

That's pretty funny....I don't read that thread as I want to focus on finding the BEST timeshares, not the worst. But it is nice to hear WG avoided any mention in that list.

If you concentrate only on the resorts they are far from anything that would qualify as "worst timeshare" - at least the ones I've been at - but they are equally distant from "the best". They are middle of the road, often garish (megalomaniac's seem to like faux Italian grandeur and bright colors - must be the Napoleon complex in them) units that are almost always large (unless its one of the hotel conversions) yet somehow seem sparsely furnished. Plus they don't keep things up (in 2005 our unit at WVV still had the 20 year old leather sofa that had been badly ripped when we stayed in 2003 and was still the same in 2005 - we haven't been there since to know if it was ever replaced) as they always simply push you to buy the newer units. Why waste time and the owners maintenance fees fixing the existing units?

They play the game to be on the edge of everything. They do just enough maintenance to say it isn't being neglected, although it really is are many units are long overdue for total renovations, skate on the edge of legality in sales (take a look at the tens of thousands of complaints at every resort including Park City) and of course ride roughshod over owners rights knowing that they control the access and not many would spend the tens of thousands of dollars needed to fight them. Slime, sleaze, sales - the three S's are the heart of Wastegate. It is not the individual owners fault - they bought the dream - that the organization is corrupt and tramples the owners rights is the issue and comes from the convicted King at the top. If you are an owner work to get things changed - if you aren't this is a group to avoid. It's that simple.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
You're right. I should be more positive.

I'm positive things are a mess in the WG operation. :cool:

But, still, repeating, no one has criticized WG owners, just those running the show.

The only reason you feel badly is that you own there, as others of us do or have.

Don't take it personally.

Nothing said here, or anywhere, should change your favorable experience.

Go and have fun at your resorts.
- - - - - -
But, you do have to admit that Mr. S's situation, for someone that prominent in the industry, is newsworthy. This is a TS forum and you know it's being talked about everywhere in the TS industry. It would be wrong to not talk about it here.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
How Depressing.

Nothing said here, or anywhere, should change your favorable experience.

Go and have fun at your resorts.
- - - - - -
But, you do have to admit that Mr. S's situation, for someone that prominent in the industry, is newsworthy. This is a TS forum and you know it's being talked about everywhere in the TS industry. It would be wrong to not talk about it here.
Strictly from an outsider's & non-owner's perspective (mine), it looks like the WestGate timeshare resorts are mostly OK, but with a pervasive & avaricious company-personality atmosphere that hangs like a pall over the whole operation

The times we've seen their timeshares upclose & personal on tour (mainly for the freebies) they've looked like typical nice but not exceptionally super-nice timeshares -- e.g., WestGate Lakes, WestGate Smokey Mountains, WestGate Town Center, WestGate Vacation Villas.

Of those, only WestGate lakes veered toward super-nice with something of a noticeable Wow! factor. WestGate Smokey Mountains had an indoor water park with a Wow! factor of its own.

All the WestGate timeshare sellers we encountered adopted a semi-haughty attitude, as though to impart an air of exclusivity & desirability to the prospect of WestGate timeshare ownership. They also conspicuously badmouthed RCI & talked up I-I & what they presented as highly desirable WestGate resort internal exchanges. (Later, I think I recall somebody right here on TUG-BBS saying there are no WestGate resort internal exchanges -- it's all done through I-I, including all applicable I-I exchange fees.)

Yet if WestGate resort quality declines because of inattention to maintenance in favor of sales, & if that avaricious pall spreads more & more over the whole operation, how long can it be before people beyond TUG-BBS start noticing? And then how long after that before there's a corresponding decline even in resale value of the WestGate timeshares?

I doubt we'll ever get to experience a stay at a WestGate timeshare. We don't own there. They mostly exchange via I-I & we're strictly RCI. So it goes.

Last edited:

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the WestGate timeshare sellers we encountered adopted a semi-haughty attitude, as though to impart an air of exclusivity & desirability to the prospect of WestGate timeshare ownership. They also conspicuously badmouthed RCI & talked up I-I & what they presented as highly desirable WestGate resort internal exchanges. (Later, I think I recall somebody right here on TUG-BBS saying there are no WestGate resort internal exchanges -- it's all done through I-I, including all applicable I-I exchange fees.)

Yet if WestGate resort quality declines because of inattention to maintenance in favor of sales.

I doubt we'll ever get to experience a stay at a WestGate timeshare. We don't own there. They mostly exchange via I-I & we're strictly RCI. So it goes.

Talking yourself and the groups you work with up and the other guys down is not exclusive to any resort group. Just yesterday my Summer Bay weasel told me how superior Summer Bay and RCI points is to all the other resorts and exchange companies.

I have read in the example in this thread of a poorly maintained unit and I would never doubt their experience. However, I have never experienced this at my numerous stays and my drive through yesterday of both WVV and WGL indicated to me that at least from the outside maintenance is ongoing.

Finally, if someone on a previous thread indicated that Westgate only did their exchanges through Interval that would be wrong. Westgate does internal exchages as well as with both II and RCI. WVV is a dual affiliated resort and is regularly available as an RCI exchange. Just one of the many options to choose from in Orlando. In addition I think some of the resorts that they acquired a couple years ago in Branson and Missippi are RCI.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
A random thought from my Wal Mart run. Just a general feeling I have based on owner feedback.

It is shame that Mr. S has behaved badly. It is a shame that the operation conducts itself in a manner that generates so much negativity from both prospects and owners, and legal battles.

But, we would feel better if people would stop talking about it. We are more upset by that than by the people doing the bad stuff.

Is that about it?

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, that's not it. It's more like Groundhog Day. The same negative thing said by the same people over and over again. Mention the W word and your pounced on. Don't believe me, read any thread on this board that mentions them. Yup, it really does appear that Westgate owners are not welcome on TUG. Say something nice about the place or your experience and there must be something wrong with you. We are too stupid to know what's really going on.

Um, I think that's more it.

:shrug: (If someone doesn't get the Groundhog Day reference rent the movie).

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
No Hard Feelings.

Say something nice about the place or your experience and there must be something wrong with you. We are too stupid to know what's really going on.
I don't think that's it.

As a semi-unbiased observer (i.e., I don't own at WestGate, & I am unlikely to snag a WestGate exchange because I'm strictly RCI), I think what's going on is a manifestation of that feature of human nature which causes folks with negative experiences to gripe & complain with energy & vigor while most of the time the satisfied people are generally content to accept their more positive experiences as The Way Things Spozed To Be without much in the way of comment.

That said, I also agree that there is a definite TUG-BBS contingent of people for whom WestGate seems to be the timeshare company they love to hate. For those folks, TUG-BBS is a convenient & effective place to warn others who otherwise might encounter WestGate with their eyes less than wide open -- the way most of us encounter just about any dazzling timeshare presentation the 1st few times.

That doesn't mean that the WestGate experience is always going to be completely negative for everybody every time. To those who have learned to navigate WestGate with full satisfaction, Good Going & Hats Off. More power to you.

I find the anti-WestGate content of TUG-BBS to be directed at the WestGate organization itself, not at the people who are able to enjoy their luxury timeshare vacations at the various WestGate resorts in spite of it all.

PS: Groundhog Day is 1 of my favorite movies -- 1 of the all-time greats. Just a wonderful film.

Last edited:

bonniedwan

Reaction score
Just remember....typically negative people are just unhappy people. I have stayed at Westgate Lakes & personally found it to be a very nice resort. It is a shame as to what is going on within the personal aspect of it.....but enough already! Let it go & let the positive people in life enjoy life! Stop trying to bring everybody down with you!!

Remember.......when life gives you lemons.....make lemonade!! Enjoy Life!! :banana:

Jollyhols

Reaction score
It's ok for you, you didn't buy one!! However, good news for you - you can have mine!

Seriously if I was renting there, I would probably be perfectly content. It's relataively quiet, convenient for I-Drive and Publix, Seaworld, Disney etc. It's the owning, the devaluation of my week, the fact you can't sell it for more than a fraction of what it cost. Having said that, if I lived in the USA I probably wouldn't be so dissatisfied with it, especially if I had a big family. But for a couple living across the Atlantic it was a bad buy - makes vacationing very expensive.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It's ok for you, you didn't buy one!! However, good news for you - you can have mine!

Seriously if I was renting there, I would probably be perfectly content. It's relataively quiet, convenient for I-Drive and Publix, Seaworld, Disney etc. It's the owning, the devaluation of my week, the fact you can't sell it for more than a fraction of what it cost. Having said that, if I lived in the USA I probably wouldn't be so dissatisfied with it, especially if I had a big family. But for a couple living across the Atlantic it was a bad buy - makes vacationing very expensive.

Exactly. (Except for the being better if you live in the US part - it isn't!)

If you look only at the resorts and being able to use them, realizing that for the money they are not as nice as many others but certainly adequate and far better than hotel rooms, Wastegate can be fine. Unfortunately you almost can't ignore the bad parts - even as a renter - due to the sales pressure, etc already heavily covered, and you really can't help but notice you are getting the shaft as an owner. So avoid the weasels, be happy with so-so resorts and conditions and you too can enjoy Wastegate as best it can be. Me, I'll trade mine for a real timeshare, try to keep potential owners informed of the issues and hope to find a buyer despite the problems someday so I too can be an ex-Wastegate owner. Except for NEVER a Wastgate owner that is the best kind to be.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
See What I Mean ?

I'll trade mine for a real timeshare, try to keep potential owners informed of the issues and hope to find a buyer despite the problems someday so I too can be an ex-Wastegate owner. Except for NEVER a Wastgate owner that is the best kind to be.
OK, that's a good example of unloading on WestGate as an organization, not dumping on individual WestGate timeshare owners.

Plus, that's commentary by an actual WestGate timeshare owner -- somebody who feels your pain, not somebody casting aspersions from the outside (i.e., it's coming from somebody inside the tent spitting out, not outside the tent spitting in).

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
To follow up on the random thought from my Wal Mart run. . .

if it is perceived that warnings made in order to (hopefully) prevent others from making the same mistakes we have made . . .

whether those warnings be a bit excessive or not. . .

whether they make a few uncomfortable or not . . .

are considered to be more offensive . . .

Than the slime and sleaze and conduct of those we are warning about . . .

Then that, truly, is sad.

:(

:(

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Dang these random thoughts . . . here's another one.

Now that the mostly-lurkers have come out and are ballyhooing WG more than the naysayers are naysaying it, this forum has served its purpose, that of providing balance.

Those tuning in for the first time can now read both sides, be informed, and move forward with that balance. They are neither overwhelmed by the bad or painted too rosy of a picture. (The Timeshare La La Land phenomenon)

As long as we keep focused on the issue, and not on each other, things are working here the way they are supposed to.

mikeben

TUG Member
Reaction score
Final thoughts on this thread

It has been very interesting following the thread as I initiated it. Actually my intent was only to advise those that were interested in purchasing a Westgate unit what might to negotiate for and how to try to maximize the purchase and use of their unit. Additionally, I wanted to express my joy in the particular resort (park City) for overall excellence in a ski resort. We actually shopped around the country for several years before deciding to buy at westgate park city. (I've actually been a tug member for some time but let my membership lapse briefly here! but read about alot of the resorts and pricing).

We have been to many (too too many!) timeshare presentations, none are particularly pleasant but some more so than others. We weren't really interested in "how well" they worked us in purchasing (of course it makes it much nicer if it was a low pressure sale and honest people...about like purchasing a new car usually!)... but in how we could enjoy the resort, ameneities and leverage exchanges or rentals. We could care less about the owner (Siegal) (I'm sure a number of resort companies have various personnel problems)...of course we are interested in seeing the resort maintained well and fully expect that the westgate park city resort will be kept up as one of their premier resorts. That's about it. Just trying to present another side to some of Westgate's properties and advice on negotiating a purchase. Otherwise a resale ski week (or summer as welove to go there in the summer too) is highly recommended if one likes to ski or hike. Feel free to ask me anything about the park city resort as there are unique services (including our own exclusive reservation system) that potential buyers may have questions about.

ASB400

Reaction score
Westgate

I have been an owner at WVV since 1987 and love the resort. We've had a few "kinks" over the years trading, banking, etc. This year I used my week at Westgate VV and was shocked to have to pay an "upgrade" fee. I expected to pay the exchange fee but was told that the week I have, which I bought as a "red time" week (as classified by the resort and exchange company back in 1987), is now a "value" week. What's happened here? The company changed the value of my week without any notification. I spoke with the resort reps and the main office of CFI and got nowhere. Apparently, they spoke of the change in the resort newspaper, but the owners were never notified. If it had not been for people like myself, Westgate would not be where it is today. I feel as though a "bait and switch" was done to all the early owners. They've explained the growth through the years and the reason for the changes, but it doesn't sit right with me. Does CFI need an extra $500 (upgrade fee) that bad?? This is my home resort.
Anyone aware of this? Is it legal? I feel like I should pursue it further, but don't know how to go about it.
ASB400@aol.com