• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Dang.

Sent from my Kindle...pls forgive errors and brevity

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Received this email today:

Hmm. If you deduct the resale week enrollment fee of $2395 from those numbers which I assume is factored into the points purchase (since I didn't see it itemized in the offer), the price per point to enroll resale weeks drops even further by nearly $1 per point for the 2500 point package.

The question is, now that we see an offer has been put in writing, is that enough to change anyone's mind about enrolling their post-2010 resale weeks?

I have to admit, it makes me stop and think ... :shrug:

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Looks like the deal is a bit better financially than a MVC Resale hybrid/bundle package (in most instances at least), but it does require a substantial upfront outlay of $$$....as we all had been discussing.

For me, with one post 2010 resale, it would put my all-in cost per point for the resale bundle (week/points) to enroll my one week at about $5.57 per point.

Gotta give them credit for their creativity. Will be interesting to see if they get many takers.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yeah, it's complicated. Trying to figure the cost of exchanges, trading, eplus etc... plus "how long do I have to keep the points before I resell to avoid loosing $3 per point?" (10 years....ish). 2500 points doesn't get much...so you'd have to rent/convert to get the week back out that you're paying 1300 a year MF's for.
Maybe I could buy something cheap and enroll for less points... 5000 points seems cheap to enroll that gaggle of weeks he's got (or might get). Enrolling a much smaller point generator.....well, it's not very profitable just to be able to book via MVC (IMHO). Can't wait to see if they have alternatives for somebody else.... afterall, there are bargain Marriotts out there.... I'd like a minimum account (for points rental) but $25k is a lot of vacations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Looks like the deal is a bit better financially than a MVC Resale hybrid/bundle package (in most instances at least), but it does require a substantial upfront outlay of $$$....as we all had been discussing.

For me, with one post 2010 resale, it would put my all-in cost per point for the resale bundle (week/points) to enroll my one week at about $5.57 per point.

Gotta give them credit for their creativity. Will be interesting to see if they get many takers.

what was your math on that? I haven't had that much coffee yet. :/

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I wouldn't be suprised is this offer is made to only owners
who hold very desirable weeks at high demand locations. I am not holding my breath waiting for them to make me an offer for my Fairway Villas week,

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
That was kinda where I was going. Especially in light of Greg's long research on the booking/moving weeks saga..... He might have set off a few fires on that one.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
what was your math on that? I haven't had that much coffee yet. :/

$26,900 for the 2500 points to enroll my Grande Ocean Gold OF that I paid $8,500 for.

All in costs = $35,400
All in points = 6,350 (2,500 purchased + 3,850 enrolled)
Cost per point = $5.57

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
who hold very desirable weeks at high demand locations. I am not holding my breath waiting for them to make me an offer for my Fairway Villas week,

That is a great question for GregT to ask back to the sales rep.

"Is this offer unique to me (invitation only), unique to just this property, or could any owner with any weeks at any MVCI property enroll their post 2010 weeks this way?"

Assuming GregT would be up to asking...

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I think it's his duty as a loyal tugger!

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
it sounds like club combinations/select program by DRI. The need to buy more to bring more.

On disposition, the value is reduced by some great amount with Marriott for a transfer fee. I prefer not to read a 1,000 posts, but it seems each system has more quirks, some similar some far different. great brand though.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I just did the math for our one post 2010 resale week. Our P3 (price per point) would be approximately $5.14.

Arrghh. Curse you Marriott with your bewitching ways ... must resist :crash:

DC Strangelove Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Points.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$26,900 for the 2500 points to enroll my Grande Ocean Gold OF that I paid $8,500 for.

All in costs = $35,400
Cost per point = $5.57

Similar for us:

$26,900 for the 2500 points to enroll our Grande Vista 3BR Gold that we paid $2,000 for.

All in costs = $29,400 ($26,900 + $2,000 + $500 closing costs)
All in points = 5,725 (2,500 purchased + 3,225 enrolled)
Cost per point = $5.14

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
The way I see it, our resale post 2010 weeks have already been purchased and belong to us. I am not exactly sure how many points our 2 weeks are worth, but I am not factoring them into the calculation to lower the price per point. I would factor them in if I was considering a hybrid resale purchase from Marriott as it would be part of the purchase. The cost to Marriott to let us enroll our post 2010 resale weeks is minimal and MVC DC would benefit from some of these desired weeks being enrolled.

Question on the table is $26,900 to enroll one week + 2500 points worth it (or $38,000 to enroll 2 weeks plus 3500 points)?

$35500 seems like it would buy a few very nice resale weeks, assuming I was in the market for another week. Interesting offer, but at this time I think I am going to pass on this one.

We attended a sales presentation at Ocean Watch in July and they were offering Ocean Watch owners to enroll in the DC for $695 (pre 2010). Interesting to know if Marriott is extending this current offer to resale post 2010 by invitation only to owners of certain weeks/resorts vs everyone.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was the one to whom the sales people at Shadow Ridge said I could buy 1000 DC points to enroll my 2 weeks that were bought through Marriott resales department and that no enrollment fee was required. I was so excited that I paid up but only to be declined by "Corporate" who told them they could not do so.

Thanks, Greg, for sharing! In your letter, the offer is definitely better than the hybrid system for which my weeks were eligible (matching DC points for the weeks' equivalent points). I am now hoping they will come up with an even better offer for those who bought from Marriott resales (selfish me talking). Having said that, I have not received any email so stop dreaming (slapping myself to wake me up).

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

All in costs = $35,400
Cost per point = $5.57

If we already owned a Grande Ocean OF Gold week as you do, I would probably jump on this offer. A Grande Ocean OF Gold is probably the only other week I would ever consider buying because we would likely use it every year - probably will look at picking one up in 2016 or 2017 for use after youngest child heads off to college.

For us it would be a great deal because with our existing 3375 points it would move us to Executive (and tantalizingly close to Presidential) and that 13 month 1+ day reservation ability is something we would likely use a lot. Even though we would rarely swap a Gold GO for points and would use it instead, that point value still counts toward the elite level. We will also likely rarely elect points in the future on our existing Barony week, so adding 2500 Trust points to our existing 1750 would also give us a better volume of Trust points (4250) to go other places, and we would still have the point rental option for bigger needs like two weeks in Hawaii, etc..

I agree with some of the others that since you already own the Gold GO, the actual out of pocket cost is just the points buy cost of $26,900 divided by the 6350 points you will now have access to, which comes to $4.24/point. (Actually will be a little more due to closing costs.)

But alas, we are late to the party once again!! Maybe Marriott will offer this again sometime after we buy a Gold GO in the future.

By the way, where did you get your Gold GO OF for $8500? That is the lowest price I've seen on OF.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
... and that 10 month 1+ day reservation ability is something we would likely use a lot.

By the way, where did you get your Gold GO OF for $8500? That is the lowest price I've seen on OF.

I think you meant 13 month 1+ day.

Snagged my GO from a friend of a friend that just wanted out quickly to get the cash, so it just sort of fell into my lap.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think you meant 13 month 1+ day.

Snagged my GO from a friend of a friend that just wanted out quickly to get the cash, so it just sort of fell into my lap.

Yep, thanks for alerting me to the typo. Fixed it.

Was hoping you had found a source of cheap GO weeks. Most of the OF Gold listings I've seen are $10K and above.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I agree with some of the others that since you already own the Gold GO, the actual out of pocket cost is just the points buy cost of $26,900 divided by the 6350 points you will now have access to, which comes to $4.24/point. (Actually will be a little more due to closing costs.)

Not sure I agree with that method of valuation. In order to use the 3850 points my GO week is worth inside the DC system, I would have to elect to give it up for the year to get at the points. So the way I see it, in order to be comparing apples to apples due to having to elect to give up the week to get at those points, I would also have to include the upfront costs that I paid to purchase that week in order to truly calculate my cost per point for those 6350 points in total. Alternatively, if I never really plan to convert the week to points, all I have is done is paid $10.76 per point for 2500 Trust points and a bump up in status, so my true cost per point is really $10.76.

As you pointed out, the only real benefit of the bump in status (to me anyhow) is in getting at the 1+ day rentals earlier....and I am not so sure that is worth the $27K investment....at least from what I have experienced in using the DC so far.

And that said, if the bump in status is not worth it to me....why pay the upfront $$ as with a few clicks of my mouse, I can rent the 6350 points any time I want.

Unless somebody can show me the light....I'm still yawning at this deal!!!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I don't see any changes to the eligibility rules on my-vacationclub.com. If you have post-6/20/10 external resales and click through the "Enroll Now" process at this link (after signing in,) are they now showing as eligible for enrollment?

lejo2008

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recent Encore Pitch/Visit to Myrtle Beach - Thoughts?

We currently are a owner of a 3 Bedroom EOY Owner of Grand Vista we purchased from the reseller market a few years ago ..so we are not entitled to any type of Point Exchange.

We returned to Myrtle Beach this year on a Encore Package ($1349 - 75K Pts - 5N6D)

They tried to sell us on buying a NEW TS Points Package. Here the "facts" that we heard: (Notice my Skepticism)

[2500PTS*12.66 = $31,650] or [1500PTS*??=$26K]
[.475Maintance=$1187]
[Club Dues $175.]

1) Once you have Points - you're pretty much guaranteed to get what you want, when you want. "Myrtle Beach no problem"
2) The Marriott Points we have now "you can take some great Vacation packages ..including Airlines - no problem"
3) There is "so much Flexibility with points including 1/2 weeks"

I backed off my letting them know that we have a hard enough time getting what we want with a 3 Bedroom and we have so much more Flexibility now with our Lock-off -

I also mentioned that Marriott will one day offer to exchange our TS for points --- let me know when that happens.

Well a week later - I receive this [I'm sure the Marriott Policy didn't change - they just manipulated the numbers]

"We had a meeting and we are going to allow owners who bought on the secondary market to enroll their weeks for a limited time! "
"The cost is $26,900 ... Your week is going to be valued at 3725! So you will have a total of 6225 points one year and the next 2500 which is avg 4850 per yr!! ...also qualifys you for VIP Select ...."

Are you Skepticial as I am ?? Thoughts ? Where's the beef ?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was the one to whom the sales people at Shadow Ridge said I could buy 1000 DC points to enroll my 2 weeks that were bought through Marriott resales department and that no enrollment fee was required. I was so excited that I paid up but only to be declined by "Corporate" who told them they could not do so.

Thanks, Greg, for sharing! In your letter, the offer is definitely better than the hybrid system for which my weeks were eligible (matching DC points for the weeks' equivalent points). I am now hoping they will come up with an even better offer for those who bought from Marriott resales (selfish me talking). Having said that, I have not received any email so stop dreaming (slapping myself to wake me up).

You were one of many offered that hybrid package with a waived enrollment fee; it's been available for a few years now and is noted on the MVC Resales Operations site. Not sure why it would have been rescinded after being offered?

The TUGger I'm thinking of was offered by a sales rep at one of the Hawaii resorts, the chance to enroll a post-6/20/10 external resale Week with the purchase of Trust Points. It went almost all the way through the process with papers drawn up and signed before corporate stepped in after a few days and rescinded the offer based on the Week being ineligible.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We currently are a owner of a 3 Bedroom EOY Owner of Grand Vista we purchased from the reseller market a few years ago ..so we are not entitled to any type of Point Exchange.

We returned to Myrtle Beach this year on a Encore Package ($1349 - 75K Pts - 5N6D)

They tried to sell us on buying a NEW TS Points Package. Here the "facts" that we heard: (Notice my Skepticism)

[2500PTS*12.66 = $31,650] or [1500PTS*??=$26K]
[.475Maintance=$1187]
[Club Dues $175.]

1) Once you have Points - you're pretty much guaranteed to get what you want, when you want. "Myrtle Beach no problem"
2) The Marriott Points we have now "you can take some great Vacation packages ..including Airlines - no problem"
3) There is "so much Flexibility with points including 1/2 weeks"

I backed off my letting them know that we have a hard enough time getting what we want with a 3 Bedroom and we have so much more Flexibility now with our Lock-off -

I also mentioned that Marriott will one day offer to exchange our TS for points --- let me know when that happens.

Well a week later - I receive this [I'm sure the Marriott Policy didn't change - they just manipulated the numbers]

"We had a meeting and we are going to allow owners who bought on the secondary market to enroll their weeks for a limited time! "
"The cost is $26,900 ... Your week is going to be valued at 3725! So you will have a total of 6225 points one year and the next 2500 which is avg 4850 per yr!! ...also qualifys you for VIP Select ...."

Are you Skepticial as I am ?? Thoughts ? Where's the beef ?

I'm merging your thread with another started yesterday that first mentioned this offer. We're all learning along with you. :)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You were one of many offered that hybrid package with a waived enrollment fee; it's been available for a few years now and is noted on the MVC Resales Operations site. Not sure why it would have been rescinded after being offered?

It wasn't the waived enrollment fee of the mcvi brokered resale weeks. It was the 1000 points purchase rather than the purchase of the equivalent number of DC points to enroll two weeks.