• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now that we have addressed most of the world's problems here on TUG, can someone please answer this burning issue?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The also say “Bubblah” in Massachusetts, or so says my BiL and he’s from The Cape.

A definite Michigan thing is instead of saying soda, we say pop.
Growing up in Minnesota it was always "pop". That's still what my Minnesota relatives say, and see stores in MN with signs advertising "pop".

I think "pop" is an Upper Midwest thing - might spill over into some of the prairie provinces as well.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I still call pop, pop. Parents born and raised in Ashtabula, Ohio so that's the only word we've ever used. Just bought boxes of strawberry, raspberry and lime jello the other day. We missed Easter festivities where ham, cottage potatoes and lime jello salad with sour cream and crushed pineapple are always served. Thought our Italian friends were going to pass out at the table one year -- wouldn't even try a bite of jello salad. My favorite of all time has raspberry jello, frozen raspberries, bananas, pecans and sour cream.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Nor do I recall anyone trying to pass anything like that off as chili. The chili I recall from MN days generally bore some resemblance to actual chili - though it often showed up with some interesting added spices. (Chili should never, never, never have noticeable nutmeg), My only experience along those lines was when I lived in St. Louis and was dating a local girl who spoke glowingly of her mother's chili. So When she finally had me at her house for chili dinner, what I was served contained nary a bean - of any type - and not even a hint of actual chili. She was very offended when I said this was goulash, not chili.
There is an interesting variant of chili in the Cincinnati area (Skyline Chili) that is very "Eastern European" in it flavorings. It contains (in addition it chili powder) nutmeg, cinnamon and chocolate powder. It is served over spaghetti with optional shedded cheddar cheese, beans and onions.

I have a version that I make occasionally as we like it for a change.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
And thank you for the Minnesota reminder - I miss it so much as we enter our infernal season here in the high radiation and humidity belt (otherwise known as Arkansas).
Since I grew up NE Arkansas, I can relate to the summers. Leaving after graduating college was our first choice. My mother could never understand why all 4 of her children moved away.

Back to your original topic about Cream of Celery soup - it seems that many of the recipes that were given to me at a wedding shower in 1968 had Cream of Celery soup in them. I just always used what I had on hand or just made “white sauce” because I always have butter, flour, and milk.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is an interesting variant of chili in the Cincinnati area (Skyline Chili) that is very "Eastern European" in it flavorings. It contains (in addition it chili powder) nutmeg, cinnamon and chocolate powder. It is served over spaghetti with optional shedded cheddar cheese, beans and onions.

Yes - what my girlfriend's mother made was a version of Cincinatti chili. There are also recipes for "guacamole" that don't use avocado. It might be labeled guacamole, but that doesn't mean it is guacamole.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

There was a restaurant near my work that called it "3 way chile"

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nor do I recall anyone trying to pass anything like that off as chili. The chili I recall from MN days generally bore some resemblance to actual chili - though it often showed up with some interesting added spices. (Chili should never, never, never have noticeable nutmeg), My only experience along those lines was when I lived in St. Louis and was dating a local girl who spoke glowingly of her mother's chili. So When she finally had me at her house for chili dinner, what I was served contained nary a bean - of any type - and not even a hint of actual chili. She was very offended when I said this was goulash, not chili.

This reminds me of my first encounter with "chili". My then husband was excited to take me to a restaurant where they served his favorite chili. It came out with beans and maybe a little meat and no hot/spicy chili. I had a spoonful and that was it for me. I explained to him what a chili is, you know that thing that grows on a plant that is very spicy and I had never had a dish called "chili". 25 years later I now make beanless turkey chili at home and it is spicy hot.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Back to the question of the missing cream of celery soup...(although I've enjoyed the detours this discussion has taken as a result of the "hot dish" reference!).....If the missing soup is a recent occurrence it could also be caused by a current phenomena at food manufacturers where they are simplifying their manufacturing lines to keep up with the new demand at grocery stores. I know, for example, that General Mills has cut back on making some of the varieties of Cheerios to keep their couple most popular flavors on the shelf and other companies were making similar changes. If they didn't have to stop production to make the needed adjustments to the line for a different flavor, they could keep their volume higher. I could see them prioritizing the more popular cream of mushroom soup over the celery variety.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For me it has been Aunt Jemima pancake syrup (I know, how dare a New Englander not eat the real think) and Stewed Tomatoes are the two weird things that always seem to never make it to my house with my grocery order. I FINALLY found them both this week at BJs online.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up with about the blandest possible version of Swedish cooking - where being edgy is putting carrot shreds in the lime Jello and spiking the punch bowl with ginger ale.

We spent three years in Phoenix, when I was 5 to 7 years old. There was a grand opening for a grocery store in the area, and they were having a promotional event giving away free food. That was enough to draw my parents. They had strung up a sheet as a wall, and painted the sheet to look somewhat like it was water, with fish, etc. Then there was a fishing pole and you would cast a line over the sheet, and someone on the other side would attach a food item to the line, and you would retrieve the line with the food item attached.

When my parents did that, what came back was a can of tamales. My father was greatly disappointed, as that was not food he would ever eat. But food could not be thrown out or discarded, so the can came home with us. And one day, while Dad was working, Mom fixed the tamales for lunch. Now there was nothing fancy about the tamales; they were probably mediocre at best. Simply corn flour with meat, wrapped in paper (not corn husks), and packed in a diluted red sauce.

But to a boy who had never encountered food such as this, it was the most spectacular thing my taste buds had ever encountered. I was sure that I had just eaten the food of the gods. Soon after we returned to Minnesota, far away from such cuisine.

Then I moved to California in 1973, and wasted little time getting reacquainted. First meal DW ever cooked for me, early in our relationship, was chicken enchiladas.

And after we were married, my first job was in San Bernardino, and our Latina office manager gave some pointers. And that was when I got acquainted with taco trucks. Like the food truck that parked every day about six blocks from our office, and would have lines of people 50-deep at lunch time.

Holy cow, I can so relate to almost every word of this. (Sorry, @stmartinfan to divert back to the diversion :)). My family must have had the most bland food on the planet. Ancestry English on my dad's side, and he was a pure meat-and-potatoes guy 100%, so that's what we had. Boiled potatoes, cooked carrots, gristly stew meat, pork chops cooked to shoe leather, no spices whatsoever, and of course the dreaded Minnesota-style kidney bean "chili". Oh, and if something was special, it was because it had rutabaga in it :sick:.

I loved my parents, but I don't miss their cooking one iota. When we moved to California, I couldn't get enough enchiladas! I think I'm still making up for lost time to this day!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How much do you really want some? *eyes multiple cans in her pantry* Of course, shipping costs alone would make it pretty prohibitive. ;)
By the way, thank you for this offer @amycurl and I will keep this in the back of my mind if the situation gets truly desperate....but I would hope the supply chain will correct this soon.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Back to the question of the missing cream of celery soup...(although I've enjoyed the detours this discussion has taken as a result of the "hot dish" reference!).....If the missing soup is a recent occurrence it could also be caused by a current phenomena at food manufacturers where they are simplifying their manufacturing lines to keep up with the new demand at grocery stores. I know, for example, that General Mills has cut back on making some of the varieties of Cheerios to keep their couple most popular flavors on the shelf and other companies were making similar changes. If they didn't have to stop production to make the needed adjustments to the line for a different flavor, they could keep their volume higher. I could see them prioritizing the more popular cream of mushroom soup over the celery variety.
It could be that, or most likely demand. Cream soups are bases for most casseroles and with more people fixing meals at home, I suspect the demand has risen. Also, COVID-19 may have had an impact on manufacturing facilities.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Ok, jello has come up in the convo.

My mother could be called a packrat. I think it was when we were clearing out her kitchen around 1999, we ran across what looked like from 50s, a box of celery jello. The logo and styling of the box hasn't changed a lot.

My sister took it, was going to put it on ebay. Not sure she did, I thought she still had it. After all, packratism can run in families...

Cottage cheese in jello? Not in my experience. Sneaking in crap like carrot shards, yeah. As whacky as I ever got with it was fruit cocktail in it. I have, on very rare occasion, put a bit of cottage cheese in with peaches that came from a can. It's far from any kind of delicious peaches and cream, but, easy way to choke down some protein with the fruit.

Worst thing I saw time and again in those basement potlucks was 3 bean "salad". I guess I am a purist, I want my beans cooked and hot. I am not even going to taste the contents of several cans of cold beans thrown together. ew. honestly, it would take destitution to eat cold beans.
@geekette - you are a woman of civility and truth!
Salud!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I still call pop, pop. Parents born and raised in Ashtabula, Ohio so that's the only word we've ever used. Just bought boxes of strawberry, raspberry and lime jello the other day. We missed Easter festivities where ham, cottage potatoes and lime jello salad with sour cream and crushed pineapple are always served. Thought our Italian friends were going to pass out at the table one year -- wouldn't even try a bite of jello salad. My favorite of all time has raspberry jello, frozen raspberries, bananas, pecans and sour cream.
One question - what time is supper?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Supper and dinner were always synonyms as far as we were concerned in our house as kids in California. Cliff forgot there was a difference in Texas and we showed up at his parent's home after a 3pm plane arrival in time for dinner at 5, only to find out we were expected for dinner at noon.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was upset last week when there was no onion soup mix in the shelf!

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny - what I always called 'pop' in MN, I always call it 'soda' out here. Similarly, I always used to say 'supper' there and now it's always 'dinner' here. Like a light switch; no carryover.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Supper and dinner were always synonyms as far as we were concerned in our house as kids in California. Cliff forgot there was a difference in Texas and we showed up at his parent's home after a 3pm plane arrival in time for dinner at 5, only to find out we were expected for dinner at noon.
And on the farm, we had four meals: Breakfast, dinner (at noon), lunch (around 4pm) and finally supper, which could be as late as 10-11pm, especially during harvest season, as it was always after all the work was done for the day. Dinner was always the largest meal of the day, as you don't really want a big meal right before going to bed.

Kurt

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Indeed.

I always thought the Super Centers were referred to as Tar-zhay as they were nicer when they first appeared in the Twin Cities.
Target at that time had a decent line of clothing and we bought a considerable amount of clothes at the Target Super Centers (Tar-zhay)....
But over the years, the quality of their clothing line dropped and we stopped shopping there. From this POV, it seems like Target is lost in between as they try (and fail) to compete with Wal Mart on price, and with Kroger and Wal Mart by expanding into groceries (a move which has been lackluster at best). Then, from the other flank, comes the onlines.....
Target needs to take action to stand out in the marketplace, otherwise Target will likely be looking a lot like K-Mart before much longer.
Thats interesting. In our area, both Targets have been redone and are pretty nice, compared to other stores. We also have Meijer though, which may make them have to be more competitive. I feel like the kids clothing is priced well and lasts a long time.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good article and right on as to what soft drinks were called based on where you grew up. I grew up in Amarillo, TX, and all soft drinks were referred to as "cokes."
Indeed.
The usual question is "What kind of Coke do you want?" Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper????

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
The also say “Bubblah” in Massachusetts, or so says my BiL and he’s from The Cape.

A definite Michigan thing is instead of saying soda, we say pop.
Faygo Red Pop for the win :love::love::love::love:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch