• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now that we have addressed most of the world's problems here on TUG, can someone please answer this burning issue?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Why has Cream of Celery soup disappeared from the face of the Earth - or at least all the stores in my area?
And it is NOT just one brand - Campbell's, Kroger (store brand), even the generic brands - gone!
Has celery somehow (covertly) been associated with COVID-19?
It's not like all vegetables are in shortage these days - although I do acknowledge vegetable availability may not always be consistent from day to day, pretty much EVERY other vegetable can still be found..

What did celery do to deserve this fate? :cautious::cautious::cry::cry:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Do you mean it's out of stock or is it no longer included as a option in the soup section? If it's the first, then I'd guess it may be similar to the shortages of pasta and rice where people are stocking up for some of their basic comfort food meals. The cream of celery gets used in a lot of hot dishes (or casseroles to those of you not from Minnesota).

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean it's out of stock or is it no longer included as a option in the soup section? If it's the first, then I'd guess it may be similar to the shortages of pasta and rice where people are stocking up for some of their basic comfort food meals. The cream of celery gets used in a lot of hot dishes (or casseroles to those of you not from Minnesota).
Vermont Country Store carries all kinds of hard to find food products. Try there !!! Online, catalogue.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@stmartinfan - I can still see the allocated space for this product on our local store shelves (not just Campbell's, but the generic brands too), but those spaces have not been filled in what seems like forever!

And thank you for the Minnesota reminder - I miss it so much as we enter our infernal season here in the high radiation and humidity belt (otherwise known as Arkansas).

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
hot dishes (or casseroles to those of you not from Minnesota).
:LOL:

I don't know where the Cream of celery soup has gone, a few weeks ago it was fresh garlic in my area-seriously NO bulbs in the 3 stores I sent the poor hubs to-had to settle for minced in a jar (*shudder-ok in a pinch).
It is actually really easy to make condensed cream of ____ soup at home. I will do that for cream of mushroom and put in glass canning jars and freeze til needed.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vermont Country Store carries all kinds of hard to find food products. Try there !!! Online, catalogue.
Thank you for that heads up, @nerodog - I have not visited that web site previously. It looks like quite the interesting place with a wide variety of items!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that heads up, @nerodog - I have not visited that web site previously. It looks like quite the interesting place with a wide variety of items!
They will also try to find items for you via email or phone. Excellent to do business with and for those travelling to Vermont, the main store is in Weston and theres one further south in Rockingham. Fun to browse!

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cream of celery gets used in a lot of hot dishes (or casseroles to those of you not from Minnesota).
Second only to cream of mushroom soup, which BTW is one the very few things I do NOT miss about Minnesota! Hot dishes would have been soooo much better with cream of chicken...

No one I know outside of Minnesota knows what a "bismarck" is, either!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
A jelly-filled donut, of course.

The cream-of-* soups have been in very short supply around here as well. Wanted to make a tater tot hotdish a couple weeks ago and had to bail due to no cream of chicken and mushroom soup.

Kurt

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why has Cream of Celery soup disappeared from the face of the Earth - or at least all the stores in my area?
And it is NOT just one brand - Campbell's, Kroger (store brand), even the generic brands - gone!
Has celery somehow (covertly) been associated with COVID-19?
It's not like all vegetables are in shortage these days - although I do acknowledge vegetable availability may not always be consistent from day to day, pretty much EVERY other vegetable can still be found..

What did celery do to deserve this fate? :cautious::cautious::cry::cry:
Becayse it tastes like shat. :pNo one eats that stuff, even in cooked dishes. The soup companies finally realized this and came to their senses and started to phase it out a year or so ago...

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I use Campbell’s cream of onion soup periodically and its also hard to find. Thank you, Winn Dixie, for carrying it along with the umpteen varieties of cream of mushroom soup.....

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
A jelly-filled donut, of course.
Yup. And good luck trying to find popovers and cherry jelly here in California. But, a small price to pay for all the awesome food there IS here!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I've not noticed - I don't think that I have ever purchased it. I tend to buy Cream of Mushroom or Chicken for most of my recipes.

If by chance I buy a stalk of celery, I chop whatever is left up and freeze to use for any recipe that calls for celery. (This only happens when one brother thinks we must have it for Mom's cornbread stuffing.) The flavor is so mild and has no nutritional value that if a recipe calls for it and I don't have it, no problem.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I haven't made it in years but I have a recipe for sole made with cream of celery soup and black olives. It was very good. Another thing I haven't made in a long time is pork chops made with golden mushroom soup. I got away from making both recipes because the soups became expensive and sometimes hard to find.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Second only to cream of mushroom soup, which BTW is one the very few things I do NOT miss about Minnesota! Hot dishes would have been soooo much better with cream of chicken...

I know what a bismarck is and I'm not in Minnesota.. But I did grow up there. :banana:

In my youth Cream of Chicken was vastly preferred over Cream of Mushroom when making hot dishes of that style. And I always preferred hot dishes that were based on mac and cheese or spaghetti with marinara. And I detest Jello with cottage cheese and carrot shreds.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last time I was in the food section in my local Target the aluminum foil section had been completely cleaned out except for heavy duty Reynolds in the widest size. And there were only four of those left.

BTW - I mentioned being from Minnesota upthread. I often pronounce the store Tar-zhay. Which is what it was jokingly called in the Twin Cities when Dayton's opened the first stores.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what a bismarck is and I'm not in Minnesota.. But I did grow up there. :banana:

In my youth Cream of Chicken was vastly preferred over Cream of Mushroom when making hot dishes of that style. And I always preferred hot dishes that were based on mac and cheese or spaghetti with marinara. And I detest Jello with cottage cheese and carrot shreds.
Great Minnesota minds think alike, my friend. To this day my brothers and I make fun of the Minnesota "cuisine" our parents and relatives used to make. Including those "salads" made with jello, cottage cheese, peas and whatever-gawd-awful else. And don't.even.get me started on what they called "chili" featuring canned kidney beans as the main ingredient!

ETA: I also remember Dayton's. And Powers. And when Target was only in Minnesota.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Great Minnesota minds think alike, my friend. To this day my brothers and I make fun of the Minnesota "cuisine" our parents and relatives used to make. Including those "salads" made with jello, cottage cheese, peas and whatever-gawd-awful else. And don't.even.get me started on what they called "chili" featuring canned kidney beans as the main ingredient!

ETA: I also remember Dayton's. And Powers. And when Target was only in Minnesota.
I don't ever recall seeing peas in a Minnesota church basement Jello salad. In the Covenant churches I grew up in, that must have been considered a sin, though I don't ever remember hearing that preached. Maybe it was addressed only in the Womens Circle meetings.

Nor do I recall anyone trying to pass anything like that off as chili. The chili I recall from MN days generally bore some resemblance to actual chili - though it often showed up with some interesting added spices. (Chili should never, never, never have noticeable nutmeg), My only experience along those lines was when I lived in St. Louis and was dating a local girl who spoke glowingly of her mother's chili. So When she finally had me at her house for chili dinner, what I was served contained nary a bean - of any type - and not even a hint of actual chili. She was very offended when I said this was goulash, not chili.

I believe the first Tar-zhay store was in Bloomington, on the south side of I-494, west of Penn Avenue, about a mile from where I grew up in Richfield.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BTW - I did enjoy Cream of Mushroom soup as the base in a meatball hot dish. In fact, I still occasionally put some meatballs in a crock pot along with some cream of mushroom soup, and let it cook for three or four hours. Then serve with either rice of mashed potatoes. The soup infused with flavor from the meatballs makes a tasty and simple gravy.