• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No experience with timeshares - want to get invited to a presentation. How?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you said you wanted to attend for academic purposes, I thought maybe you wanted to compare sales tactics for a research project or something. When you said you are interested in vacation sites, my little antenna of concern went up. You are more liable to fall for the spin than you think. However, you probably can stay resolute (especially since you now have an audience that will want to hear any results).
We bought at our first presentation, but upon reading the fine print on the way home (in time), we realized the 'misinformation' and rescinded. We since then attended a number of presentations and always said no, and enjoyed the gifts. We bought and sold two ts very cheap, and just now picked up another one (after a decade break).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
They will show you pictures of their kids or grandkids to engage you. They also will appeal to your financial senses by walking you through an exercise: How often do you plan to travel over the next 10 - 20 years? How will the cost of hotel rooms compare? And show you an ROI. Complete BS except you can stay in a full condo for the same cost of a hotel room. Maint fees rise annually as fast as hotel rooms. And of course they don't include the huge up-front purchase of $15 - $120k to buy which will nose dive in value to 20% of that capital investment the minute you pass the 5 day rescission period if you sign. That's why resale is so inexpensive. All in the assumptions.

You would be better off buying resale at a fraction of the cost at an optimal location with a major brand (Westin, MVC, Hyatt, Hilton) (location, location, Maint fee vs rental, & season matter in timeshares). Then taking the $120,000 they want for that timeshare and putting it into a CD or interest bearing account and using the interest to pay the MF (or renting out half the lockoff to pay for a free vacation.) When you are finished, sell your timeshare for not much less than you paid resale (or give it away as a depreciated asset) and then you still have the $120k in the CD. Cannot say the same if you spent that $120k on the timeshare.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
@SyxCab111 when you go on your presentation, please come back here and fill us in. Would love to hear your perspective before going in and after it’s all said and done. I would hope you go to a system that is high pressure for the real experience. Either way, come back and let us all know how it went.

SyxCab111

Reaction score
I will definitely report back after I get to a presentation - maybe the high pressure tactics will be unpleasant and I'll regret having gone (to be clear not because I think I'll end up buying; I am quite sure I will not, despite whatever guilt-inducing tactics the sales folks use). The wife and I are hoping to go this fall, we figure we'll be vaccinated and such by then, and travel will be closer to normal. Thanks again for the guidance

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I’ve gotta ask, what is the upside of a presentation?

AndySamuels

Reaction score
I love timeshare presentations. I come prepared.

1: Huge calculator.
2: Clock to time the 120 minutes.
3: Printed copies of state laws on false advertising, timeshare resales and FTC guidance.
4: Print out of recent eBay resales.
5: Notepads and sharpies.
6: Arrange your own transportation: that is a key wear down strategy: the longer you are in the room the more likely people cave and sign. Straight from the shady car dealership manual. When you are not dependent on them to return you to your resort they have no power like that.

Last edited:

SandyJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve been here on TUG for years. TUG has taught me so much over the years. I’ve done dozens of timeshare presentations and I actually don’t mind going to them. Believe it or not, I do actually learn things from the presentation even if it is only that the sells person only told me part of the truth! But I do learn terminology I can then go research and figure out even more ways to utilize what I own. I own two TS and I bought them both on resale for VERY cheap or FREE. I enjoy what I have, I didn’t pay an arm and a leg for it and my maintenance fees are reasonable.

Ive done the cheap vacation for a TS presentation and whoever stated that it is in a hotel room is correct, they might offer you an upgrade to the fabulous 2 bedroom resort unit for several hundred dollars more, so just be prepared for that.

An example, I went to a Westgate TS presentation a year ago for Disney Tickets for my family of 5. I saved about $1500 dollars listening to their presentation and I would do it again in a heart beat. (No, I didn’t buy).

I also got a free cruise this year that I just paid taxes on and got a 7 night MSC cruise for less than $500 for-two people. Now MSC is on the cheaper side, but it isn’t $500 for two people!

I don’t feel like I am using and abusing the system because I may choose to buy from the developer at some point, but it will be from a place of knowledge and not one of ignorance and only if I could pay cash for it and I got a great deal.

I look at going to TS presentations like “shopping” for a TS. To me it’s kind of like you go to the fancy dept store to find what you like, then you go to a thrift store and find a cheaper version :)

Have Fun! And don’t buy unless you have enough expendable income to pay cash and unless you get a great deal which you won’t know unless you go to dozens of presentations like I have been to!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aside from being a complete waste of time never to be recovered, a major downside to attending any developer "presentation" is that it is really not a learning experience at all (except in terms of enduring prolonged discomfort and overt deceit). Lies, exaggerations, obfuscation, misrepresentations and assorted exaggerations are not helpful in learning the factual details and nuances of timeshare.

OP indicates wanting the "experience" of attending a presentation, for reasons entirely unclear. IMnsHO, a sharp stick in the eye would provide an equally enjoyable and rewarding experience --- and it would take much less time (but without receiving any "freebies"). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotta ask, what is the upside of a presentation?
While the OP's motives remain unclear, I suspect the desire is the discounted vacation and not the presentation. I think he's looking for a cheap stay somewhere where the cheap stay requires a presentation. Of course, he could be looking at it to see if that's a job he'd like to have.

Reactions: RX8

BigTimeOwner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott 3 bed lockoff in Florida and Williamsburg 2 bed lockoff
Like the title says, I've always been fascinated with timeshares, but have no personal experience with them, nor has anyone in my family or circle of friends. I hear all the time about how you can supposedly get great deals on vacations somewhere if you listen to the hard sell presentation. I'm interested both because the idea of a discounted vacation is appealing, but I'd also really like to experience one of those presentations, since I've heard so much about them. Do these still happen? I came across the website staypromo.com, but wasn't sure if it was a legit site or not. How do you get invited to these things? Thanks!
I love my timeshare ownership, but I bought it 3rd party Marriott Only, Marriott seems to be the only company that really keeps them up. Search on here for sellers and buy 3rd party, Marriott sales people will tell you they are not as good as buying points........... but they are wrong.
Example.
I own a 3 bed lock off at Grand Vista , I have never been there, we always trade it for two weeks into Hawaii and or Newport Beach. Also own a 2 bed lock off in Williamsburg...................... Yes you have to do some planning and watching, but we have never been disappointed. I paid under $4000.00 for each week, and when you lock off the unit, put them both into Interval you get 2 weeks ( small upgrade cost for the lock as we always trade for a 2 bed unit.

Yes Marriott has a first right to buy the unit your looking at, but they simply don't buy everything. Here on tug you can look and find fee title weeks for sale.
I would not touch the awful points program it is simply bad ! zangleone@gmail.com

shorep

Reaction score
Like the title says, I've always been fascinated with timeshares, but have no personal experience with them, nor has anyone in my family or circle of friends. I hear all the time about how you can supposedly get great deals on vacations somewhere if you listen to the hard sell presentation. I'm interested both because the idea of a discounted vacation is appealing, but I'd also really like to experience one of those presentations, since I've heard so much about them. Do these still happen? I came across the website staypromo.com, but wasn't sure if it was a legit site or not. How do you get invited to these things? Thanks!
BE VERY careful what you wish for best part of the presentation is the $70 credit spend for attending and not swallowing the fairy tale.

Wingo99

Reaction score
You can get some good information from the presenter, maybe not so much on the "value" of buying from them- yes I learned that the hard way. But they are from the area and actually can give some pretty good tips on places to go. Ours gave us a tip on a seafood joint that wasn't well known, and a few other places to go while we were in the area. But I suppose that all depends on the person too, the one we had was really chatty on stuff like that until they got to the brass tacks of it.

AndySamuels

Reaction score
The TS presentation spin always reminds me of solar panel sales.

Sales person: "you will eliminate your power bill". Maybe: but you either lay out a ton of $ upfront or pay it off over an extreme length of time. The break even point is like 10+ years or so. And when you ask who is underwriting the warranty on the panels (hurricanes / tropical storms here will totally destroy panels potentially) and what the deductible is and if it would count as a claim against your insurance credit score they have no response.

Probably why solar has not taken off in the "sunshine state" so far.

For my home it would take 20 years to realize $8K savings. Very paltry compared to other investments. Plus tons of money tied up, risk and legal obligations.

Very similar to TS': especially when bought from the developer: the nightly cost is already not that competitive usually but with full MSRP + potential financing it is a complete disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: RX8

SyxCab111

Reaction score
As requested, I've returned to update everyone now that I've gone on a trip subsidized by a timeshare company with the attendant presentation. First of all, big thanks to a user on these forums who got me invited to a BlueGreen presentation/offer. The offer was a 3 night stay at a partner hotel along with $200 in AmEx pre-paid gift cards, for a charge of $199 to BlueGreen and $51 to the area hotel for taxes/resort fees. So, in all, I was out $50 for a 3 night stay in what I would classify as a fine/decent hotel, but nothing luxurious. Definitely cheaper than the rack rate. The presentation was advertised as approximately 2 hours, and my wife and I got out in just under that (about 1 hour and 55 minutes).

The trip was to New Orleans.

And... I bought! Just kidding. Everyone in this thread continually claimed that I "am just the type of person likely to buy" because I expressed interest in seeing the presentation. I did not buy, nor did I find it an especially appealing offer, nor did I find it difficult to say no. The presentation details are likely nothing new to people here, but it was my first one - we started by being assigned a saleswoman and we chatted with her for the first 25-30 minutes. She was very friendly! (I know that's part of the gig). We mostly talked about her recommendations of what to do in the city. Following that, we had a ~45 minute group presentation giving the whole BlueGreen spiel. Then, back to the saleswoman for a resort tour, and finally the financial offers. My wife and I did not go in with a particular strategy to say no, we just had already looked at various numbers and knew that what they offered was not going to be competitive, financially, with the types of vacations we take and pay for out of pocket. The final offer was $1.60 per point for 20,000 points financed at 17.99% with 20% down. I know a lot of this is likely negotiable, but my wife and I simply did the quick back of the napkin math in front of the finance person and said this is like 7k a year for the first decade, with a 7k down payment, and that's just way, way more than we spend on hotels right now.

I understand that there are a lot of other reasons we could have said no (including availability, the fact that the presentation and sales pitch was full of half-truths/un-truths, and re-sale availability), but to be honest I didn't really want to get into the weeds with them. I just said it was more money than we spend on lodging now, and they didn't seem to really have an answer for that. I'm not sure if we had a particularly non-persuasive saleswoman and finance person, but we just said no to each offer after doing the math and we were done. They didn't even send over the closer (he was busy with another couple). Our saleswoman made a half-hearted attempt to pitch us on the closer offer (a "taster" package where we pay $900 for some smaller number of points that can be used within a year). We said no; it was still too expensive and why would we want to go through the trouble of buying points and then booking a hotel when we could just book that same hotel since it was a one-off offer. The saleswoman didn't have much of an answer for that, and they processed us out.

I don't know how these presentations usually go and whether this was representative or not, but to be honest I found it very easy to say no. Unless folks are staying at absolutely bonkers-expensive resorts, the prices we were offered could not even come CLOSE to competitive for what we pay out of pocket. And that's ignoring all the other hassle of a timeshare/being locked in, etc. I understand now why the conventional wisdom is to buy resale at basically $0 or whatever they come out to. And they didn't seem to have much of a response when I simply said it was way more than we usually spend. Maybe there are good answers and we had a novice saleswoman/finance person, or maybe something about our demeanor made them think we weren't going to be convinced so they didn't try, but I would be curious to know if there were some tactics I missed out on.

All in all, I found the presentation interesting and fun, I saved several hundred dollars on our first post-vaccine trip, and I would do it again - but likely at a higher end timeshare company. For our next trip I'll see if I can get to a Marriott one, or something like that. Thanks again to the forum and the users in this thread who gave me advice!

Andrearr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages (Bella) Vistana
Man I apologize for people not answering your question directly. It was painful reading through all the responses. I am grateful I found this group and was able to rescind but prior to purchasing direct and eventually resale we did every timeshare presentation with every company I could for more than 5 years including that blue green sampler.
Once you're "on the list" they'll start sending you offers. By emailing calling mail etc.
In the meantime if you want to do more presentations for whatever reason travel perks gift cards more info etc you have to find the deals page of the timeshare company sites.
See below:

Remember you can tour the same company twice but you have to wait 18 months in between usually.