• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No experience with timeshares - want to get invited to a presentation. How?

SyxCab111

Reaction score
Like the title says, I've always been fascinated with timeshares, but have no personal experience with them, nor has anyone in my family or circle of friends. I hear all the time about how you can supposedly get great deals on vacations somewhere if you listen to the hard sell presentation. I'm interested both because the idea of a discounted vacation is appealing, but I'd also really like to experience one of those presentations, since I've heard so much about them. Do these still happen? I came across the website staypromo.com, but wasn't sure if it was a legit site or not. How do you get invited to these things? Thanks!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can go to the sales desk at any timeshare and tell them you want a tour. With Covid, I don't know what they are doing these days.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
No offense but you sound exactly like the type of person that would fall for the hype and lies of a timeshare salesperson. Unless you can firmly say no my recommendation is to stay away. You aren’t missing as much as you think. If you are really interested in timeshares ask questions here on TUG and you will get the honest answers.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you do this (and I don't advise it), innoculate yourself in advance by familiarizing yourself with current resale prices at whatever resort you select. The disparity in price between retail and resale -- somewhere between 3:1 and 100:1 -- should protect you from saying "yes".

And if not, there is a rescission period . . . . .

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
During our recent trip to San Jose del Cabo Patti was was offered $500 USA, 2 Round Trip Airfares from anywhere in the USA, and 3 free weeks to stay even if you did not buy to attend a sales pitch at Vidanta (formerly Grand Mayan). We turned them down. Vidanta is a really hard sell.

SyxCab111

Reaction score
I do appreciate everyone's concern, but I am confident I would have no problem saying no. And thanks for the tip about asking in person - I would obviously rather arrange things online in advance, but it seems that's difficult these days.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
@bnoble I understand they have that reputation, but I'm interested nevertheless.
Let's put it this way: what is your time---and more importantly your serenity and peace of mind---worth? For me, it's worth a lot more than a couple hundred bucks off of a vacation. Maybe it's not worth that much to you. If so, go with my blessings.

But, if you are asking for my advice, it is: Do not take up a developer on their "offer," do not pass Go, and do not Collect $200.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Like the title says, I've always been fascinated with timeshares, but have no personal experience with them, nor has anyone in my family or circle of friends. I hear all the time about how you can supposedly get great deals on vacations somewhere if you listen to the hard sell presentation. I'm interested both because the idea of a discounted vacation is appealing, but I'd also really like to experience one of those presentations, since I've heard so much about them. Do these still happen? I came across the website staypromo.com, but wasn't sure if it was a legit site or not. How do you get invited to these things? Thanks!
The fact that you want to go to a “presentation”, tells me you’re going to buy. So I’ll save you the trouble of posing another “I just purchased, is this a good deal” thread. RESCIND the purchase you’re going to make.

Yea, Hilton offers many discounted 4 night trips to either Orlando or Vegas for 199 bucks in exchange for a presentation.

Just stick around here, learn a bit, buy resale, THEN go on a presentation and experience the lies. You can then say you bought one for resale for free and go on your merry way.

northovr

TUG Member
Reaction score
you need a cohabitor just walk the Gatlinburg strip in Tenn and you will be invited to a Westgate presentation I don't recommend it

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Do you want 1) the freebies and discounted stays? or 2) are you looking for a timeshare where you can save money traveling.

If 1) Good luck. You will likely find the high pressure tactics not worth the hassle and several hours out of your precious vacation time.. Stick to the majors e.g. Marriott, Hilton, Vistana, Hyatt and Disney who will be civil but will still play games to convince you to buy. Avoid the rest because if you sign they may hide critical paperwork and may not rescind in time. Also avoid Mexico TS presentations (my rule of thumb) which are not governed by U.S. law. Go onto the Marriott Vacation Club or Hilton Grand Vacation sites and they usually have offers. Also check for travel bloggers on BoardingArea.com who sometimes post discounted timeshare stay deals.

If 2) Avoid the presentations. Join TUG (nominal $15 annual fee but worth the price for saving thousands) and we can help you determine if a resale timeshare is right for you and which one makes the most sense.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

SyxCab111

Reaction score
Listen, everyone - thanks for the concern! But it's misplaced! My interest is purely academic. I do not want to buy a timeshare, and I will have absolutely no difficulty in saying no. The discount/freebies are a nice perk, but still a secondary benefit. I would like to experience the presentation for its own sake, and as such have decided that it is worth my time. As for my actual question, it sounds like it is difficult or impossible to receive a targeted invitation without first having been somewhere in person. If anyone has any info to the contrary, that would be great. I do want to thank everyone for their comments trying to warn me off, but I understand what I would be getting into.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If this is academic and you are not interested in buying or renting timeshares. I suggest finding a more fruitful hobby. If you have no plans to travel and use timeshares, why waste your time?

Resale timeshares are great and the resorts are beautiful. Staff at most timeshare resorts are attentive and very different from the high-pressure sales teams. But like a house-flipper it is not for everyone and you could get financially hurt if you don't know what you are doing. Developer purchases at a presentation are almost always a losing proposition. Why buy developer when you can buy for a fraction at resale for the same product? Resale happens because people go into presentations, not knowing what they are doing and then buy, decide they don't want it or cannot afford it so dump it on the market. Their loss = resale buyer gain.

There are also annual maintenance fees that increase 3 -5% per year. In some resorts those maintenance fees cost more than to rent causing the unit to be upside down and unattractive. This is about real estate location, location and season. Research and know what to buy because there are a lot of worthless timeshares out there.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Listen, everyone - thanks for the concern! But it's misplaced! My interest is purely academic. I do not want to buy a timeshare, and I will have absolutely no difficulty in saying no. The discount/freebies are a nice perk, but still a secondary benefit. I would like to experience the presentation for its own sake, and as such have decided that it is worth my time. As for my actual question, it sounds like it is difficult or impossible to receive a targeted invitation without first having been somewhere in person. If anyone has any info to the contrary, that would be great. I do want to thank everyone for their comments trying to warn me off, but I understand what I would be getting into.
I’m confused, what are you asking then? You just want to play games? Ok, go play games. In the time it took you to create a profile on TUG, start this thread and get replies that you’re not looking for. You could have Googled timeshare presentations offers.

“Timeshare presentation offers Hilton” brings you here. So yea..... have a blast. Truthfully, if you really want academic learnings, I’d go to a lower presentation like westgate or bluegreen. That will give you the REAL DEAL experience.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
CPNY has it right. Everyone (but MVC) seems to have "great" deals on their website. Type in the following phrases: HGVC, HICV, Westgate, Bluegreen Vacation, Club Wyndham, and Diamond Resorts. After each title, type in "deals." You will see offers for short stays with discounted rates. Pick who you want. All require a 1 1/2 - 2 hour presentation as part of the stay. The more you do, the more you'll learn.
:ROFLMAO::sneaky:

Reactions: RX8

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
As for my actual question, it sounds like it is difficult or impossible to receive a targeted invitation without first having been somewhere in person. If anyone has any info to the contrary, that would be great.
I get random invites in the mail. I just got one from Sheraton yesterday, but threw it out without opening it. Is there a particular timeshare or area that you want to attend? You can probably just call and say you are interested in a discount vacation via their timeshare program. You'll get on their list and you'll get invites for the rest of your life. There could be income or other requirements to attend. I know I've had invites in the mail that said they were only for married couples who own a home with a certain income.

It's hard to tell what it is that you want based on your posts. Are you looking for a discounted one time vacation that forces you to attend a presentation, call Hilton Grand Vacation Club or Marriott/Westin and tell them that. They might have you pay a couple hundred dollars for a weekend stay. I've never been invited to any that included airfare, etc, and I have been invited to many. Las Vegas probably offers a little more i a paid intro package - but, again, Covid has changed a lot of things.

If you want to learn about how to use timeshares, you need to read everything here. Salespeople usually have no clue as to how to use what they are selling. They are taught how to close a sale and that's it. They may spend an hour just asking you about your life and then they can manipulate the information to prove to you how the only way to get what you really want in life is to buy whatever they are selling.

If you like to attend high pressure sales presentations that last way longer than what they claim, you can easily get on mail lists for the discounted stays. I'm sure you can join every mailing list by googling the various timeshare biggies and subscribing to their mail list. Most of us would rather poke out our own eyes with a fork than attend for a discounted stay, but to each their own.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you see ads for a getaway to anywhere ( example Savanna, GA) for very low price. In small print they say you must attend a timeshare presentation. That is a way for you to go to a timeshare presentation. We never go and my standard answer when invited is we only have a limited amount of time to enjoy our vacation. Don’t need any updates, no more timeshares we have what we want. There are so many places to go and enjoy.
Good Luck and let us know where you go for presentation since you seem anxious to experience this for yourself.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
That great discounted vacation you seek may not be in the resort you are expecting. Using Hilton Grand Vacations for example, you may sign up for a discounted vacation package in exchange for a presentation. While you may be thinking you get a fabulous two bedroom suite in the resort they are pitching it isn't uncommon for them to put you up in a standard Doubletree hotel room.

Also, if you ask many questions that is similar to a shark smelling blood. The timeshare salespeople will pile on the pressure and extend your presentation. There are stories of Westgate and some others where people were kept for hours until they finally purchased something. These discounted vacations are short enough and the required presentations make it even shorter.

Last edited:

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
SyxCab, it appears most everyone here is not listening to your request, but it just appears that way... They really do have your best interest at heart. What you likely don't understand is the experience and knowledge they have about attending these presentations..
That said, can you answer this question so we can better help direct you: Can you tell us anything about what your vacation interest might be? Where have you vacationed in the past? (This might help us direct you to a specific program to attend)

The bottom line here is that attending the presentations is extremely simple but EXTREMELY RISKY. We have all been to them and know this to be a fact! Regardless, you are certainly welcomed to attend. You could also benefit and learn from the vast wealth of knowledge that we can provide you here without even having to attend a presentation. Your choice.....

SyxCab111

Reaction score
I appreciate the answers so far - I have found a few offers online, and thanks @RX8 for the note about the discounted stay not necessarily being in the top-tier resort that they're selling. Since people are completely flummoxed by my interest, I can at least explain that when I was much younger I was in door to door sales (it was a different time). I wasn't very good at it! And I didn't like it that much, but I did it for years as it was a job, and I had always heard about these crazy-hard sells at timeshare presentations and have simply been curious. To reiterate, I am quite sure I will not find myself buying anything.
@SHG My vacation interests are nothing out of the ordinary. I like FL, I've always wanted to visit HI but have never been, and I've enjoyed other similar trips to warm/tropical places. All of that being said, I am more interested in attending a presentation in the US versus in e.g. Mexico or the Caribbean. I have heard that those presentations are even MORE high pressure, and I would feel more comfortable knowing what my consumer rights, etc. are while in the US as opposed to another country.
@everyone thanks for the answers, and based on what I've read here and searched in the meantime on posters' recommendations there seem to be a few promising locations in central FL, or maybe even HI (although the HI ones are - understandably - more expensive and seemingly nicer).

Wingo99

Reaction score
I appreciate the answers so far - I have found a few offers online, and thanks @RX8 for the note about the discounted stay not necessarily being in the top-tier resort that they're selling. Since people are completely flummoxed by my interest, I can at least explain that when I was much younger I was in door to door sales (it was a different time). I wasn't very good at it! And I didn't like it that much, but I did it for years as it was a job, and I had always heard about these crazy-hard sells at timeshare presentations and have simply been curious. To reiterate, I am quite sure I will not find myself buying anything.
@SHG My vacation interests are nothing out of the ordinary. I like FL, I've always wanted to visit HI but have never been, and I've enjoyed other similar trips to warm/tropical places. All of that being said, I am more interested in attending a presentation in the US versus in e.g. Mexico or the Caribbean. I have heard that those presentations are even MORE high pressure, and I would feel more comfortable knowing what my consumer rights, etc. are while in the US as opposed to another country.
@everyone thanks for the answers, and based on what I've read here and searched in the meantime on posters' recommendations there seem to be a few promising locations in central FL, or maybe even HI (although the HI ones are - understandably - more expensive and seemingly nicer).
I know far less than most people here. Shoot I did everything wrong. My wife had signed up for a bluegreen presentation vacation in Florida recently. I did not do any research beforehand as I should have, and fell for the presentation and we signed up. I regretted it immensely afterwards when I finally did some research and fact checked what the salesman told us- many half truths and even a few outright lies. They are very good at what they do. I sent in my letter to rescind the contract and am now waiting for some confirmation. This site was extremely helpful in giving the information I needed to correct my mistake.

That said, I don't think timeshares are a bad idea but so expensive when purchased through them in one of their presentations as opposed to the resale option. I say go for it as long as you know what you are in for. It is a pretty intense sell at the presentation, but stick to your guns and walk when your obligated time is up. They aren't going to tie you to a chair to keep you there, just have to be firm when it's time to go. Other than our uneducated decision to buy, my family had a great discounted vacation stay at a nice hotel, in a nice part of florida. We extended our stay for a couple days through bluegreen beforehand, it costed a little more but still quite discounted as opposed to retail. Its not hard to get invited, we got ours through choice hotels which my wife is part of.

The timeshare presentation game is a game of averages, out of 10 that go maybe a couple will sign up. Rejection is part of the game. I don't feel bad if I were to go again with no intention to buy. They play the game, and so can I. Even better now that I know better

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I can at least explain that when I was much younger I was in door to door sales (it was a different time). I wasn't very good at it! And I didn't like it that much, but I did it for years as it was a job, and I had always heard about these crazy-hard sells at timeshare presentations and have simply been curious. To reiterate, I am quite sure I will not find myself buying anything.
Perhaps you, at that time, were selling a product. Timeshare Salespeople are selling a dream. The dream they conjure, the picture they paint, cannot be attained except through their mystical, magical and elusive secret arts. No other travel you've already accomplished in your lifetime can compare with the magic, the access, the freedom, the lifestyle of the dream they, and they alone, can offer to you.

Once you can "see" the dream, they will rake you over the coals to make you desire that dream as the cure to the presentation itself. They will convince you that you need this dream, your family needs this dream and that that you are a poor provider if you do not secure this dream for your family. They will suggest that you aren't good enough for this dream or don't have the means to attain the dream. They will use "take away" measures to fuel the fire of "I need it now!!" to push for a quick decision.

You will want the dream. You will likely need thick skin to escape the session without doubting yourself as a good human, a good provider, a caring family member ... etc.

Edited to add: If you don't make a purchase decision to help yourself then be prepared for the sales staff to turn against you. They will shift quickly from being your best friend (letting you in on the deal of a lifetime) to that of an abused victim. They will pour guilt over you as you have "wasted their time" and "taken food from my baby's mouth." The guilt will be enormous.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

You’ll also find various timeshare offers threads on Flyertalk.com