• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New York is losing residents at an alarming rate

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

New York is in a State of Decline.

Despite the nation’s longest economic expansion, the Empire State is actually losing population, an analysis of US Census data released Monday reveals.

The total state population as of mid-2019 was 19,453,561 — a drop of 76,790, or 0.4 percent, from the previous year, according to the study by the Empire Center for Public Policy.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't believe the population count in NYC. I maintain a population of 12 million. There are so many people living in the shadows that go uncounted. Crowds are out of control. No parking, traffic... Oh my!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the new housing construction is for the ultra wealthy. Billionaires row on 57th st. Hudson yards on the west side.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
This place is turning into a unaffordable dump. Although not as bad as LA or SF YET. It’s on the way.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
My dang Illinois is still losing more by percentage..... Over $4billion in increased taxes in two years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

New York is in a State of Decline.

Despite the nation’s longest economic expansion, the Empire State is actually losing population, an analysis ....

The total state population as of mid-2019 was 19,453,561 — a drop of 76,790, or 0.4 percent,

Hey Billy ,
Thanks for the link to the New York Post - always a source of quality news ...
LOL
- but worth reading just for the headlines .

1) as stated - some of the population loss was to Florida - I would assume
some of that “loss” was actually folks that own multiple homes and changed their designated residence for tax purposes . Some of those people who did so in 2019 are quite famous .

2) there are also all those Vermont etc. licence plates you see in NYC - Monday to Friday . hmmm...... We were in NYC this week - no lack of traffic .
(son living in Brooklyn)

3) Perhaps the census doesn’t count the people who are permanently stuck
in a traffic jam on the BQE - Expressway . That alone could count for most of the population drop.

2) Some of those people who did leave for Jersey - probable did so on the new Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge* ( nee - Tappan Zee) They probably left in 2019 - before the toll doubles (to pay for the new bridge ) AND they probably still owe New York State money on their EZPass acct.

Happy New Year - Jan 1 2020

added -

* and we should all make sure we have a bridge named after a parent / when we become governor .

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As more people leave New York (and California) there will be fewer people to pay State and Local Taxes. New York (and California) will have to increase State and Local Taxes to continue to finance all their Programs. This will caus3 more people to leave.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
As more people leave New York (and California);have to increase State .....This will caus3 more people to leave.

That's nicknamed "the death spiral". . . .

BUT THEY CAN’T LEAVE - they are all stuck on the BQE in NYC or
I-10 in LA .

and don’t tell the millennials - they are the one’s moving to LA & NYC .

( as long as no one posts this on Instagram - we are OK / we know they are not reading the NY Post or any other newspaper. )

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sitting in our second home in Williamsburg, VA. The first one (32 years) is in upstate NY. This house and our other house have the same resale value. The property taxes on our VA. house are $2,800/year. Our NY house is $7,200/year. Gas here is $.20/gallon cheaper. We are both retired, so careers are not a consideration. I see handwriting on the wall. :ponder:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am sitting in our second home in Williamsburg, VA. The first one (32 years) is in upstate NY......the property taxes on our VA. house are $2,800/year. Our NY house is $7,200/year. Gas here is $.20/gallon cheaper. We are both retired....

I see handwriting on the wall. :ponder:
House for sale in Ballston Lake ?

no more trips over the deceased Gov. MMC Bridge ?

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
no more trips over the deceased Gov. MMC Bridge ?
[/QUOTE]
Last time I was really in the city, was to watch the ball drop in 1976. Never been a destination for me. Daughter lives in Williamsburg with husband and 2 grandkids. Works at the college. Wife is enamored with the kids. Everybody needs a plan.......;)

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
NY State as a whole. However the bulk of the population is concentrated downstate Rockland, Duchess, Putnam, Westchester, NYC, Nassau, Suffolk. In my opinion downstate is where they are escaping. Me included (escaped)!
I live in Suffolk and see many of my colleagues are retiring out of state due to the high property taxes. Also many of them have college age children who are leaving due to the high cost of living. My 3 kids all have jobs, kids and houses here so I'll never move away fulltime. Maybe snowbird...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The people running the show in this state are just awful. Insane taxes, decreased services for the tax payer, surveillance state, cash grab speed cameras on every corner. Not to mention the cuomo and deblabio feud brings troopers into the city to ticket motorists, as if they don’t funnel enough money back upstate.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is true in Illinois as well, where I live. The state is truly imploding. I am tied here until my daughter finishes high school at a minimum, but I have zero interest in remaining here to support the financial disaster that the politicians have created.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It is not a long term smart move to marginalize and make it more costly to the component of your population that can afford to move away.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
This is true in Illinois as well, where I live. The state is truly imploding. I am tied here until my daughter finishes high school at a minimum, but I have zero interest in remaining here to support the financial disaster that the politicians have created.
Illinois is good place to be FROM. We escaped from DeKalb.

geekette

Reaction score
Aren't we in the midst of Boomer retirements? Florida population increasing while NY decreasing makes perfect sense to me.

There are high cost areas to live and low cost areas to live. If you spend your career in a high cost area but retire to a low cost area, that seems like a good way to make your money last.

I personally have no plans to move at retirement (I might already be retired) but many other people make retirement a second chapter in a different place. Boomers and millennials are our biggest population groups, so as they move around, the numbers will move. I don't find any gain or loss of population to be Alarming, but, that's just me.

While I am annoyed at how many tax abatements companies get to move here, my prop taxes remain cheap (about 1500 per year). If my prop taxes double, then I think about leaving. Other people have their own issues upon which to base Stay vs Go. I'd be interested in hearing them!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks moving to SC...I recently saw a list of where retirees are going, and three of the top six cities are in SC. Snow bird syndrome is still "a thing"... Carol

Hey Billy ,
LOL

some of that “loss” was actually folks that own multiple homes and changed their designated residence for tax purposes . Some of those people who did so in 2019 are quite famous .

2) there are also all those Vermont etc. licence plates you see in NYC - Monday to Friday . hmmm...... We were in NYC this week - no lack of traffic .
(son living in Brooklyn)

in a traffic jam on the BQE - Expressway . That alone could count for most of the population drop.

2) Some of those people who did leave for Jersey - probable did so on the new Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge* ( nee - Tappan Zee) They probably left in 2019 - before the toll doubles (to pay for the new bridge ) AND they probably still owe New York State money on their EZPass acct.

added -

* and we should all make sure we have a bridge named after a parent / when we become governor .

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hey Billy ,
LOL

(son living in Brooklyn)

added -

Does the Guv get royalties from use of his bridge?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well, we lived in NY all our lives- born and bred. Hubby is from Manhattan/ Brooklyn and me born in the Bronx and grew up in Rockland. Lived our 42 married lives in Orange and Sullivan counties- more rural areas.

Unlike most folks, we are not retiring to Florida or any warm
climate, but to New Hampshire.

Why? Well- first off we love New England. Second, property taxes- though still high- will be half of what we paid in NY, though we had a much bigger home and a ton of land there. Housing is also not cheap in N.H.
Third- no income tax. Fourth- no sales tax. Fifth- our son has lived up here since 2006 when he started college. Sixth- we joined a political group here many years ago committing to moving for the project. Seventh- the second amendment laws.

We can’t leave NY fast enough ourselves. I really don’t think we’ll miss it.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Well, we lived in NY all our lives- born and bred. Hubby is from Manhattan/ Brooklyn and me born in the Bronx and grew up in Rockland. Lived our 42 married lives in Orange and Sullivan counties- more rural areas......We can’t leave NY fast enough ourselves. I really don’t think we’ll miss it.
You will miss the pizza by the slice / and probably a couple of other things I can't think of right now .

You probably won't miss the tolls on the deceased Gov MMC bridge or your bill from EZ pass .