• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

new to the concept

kuo20012

Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you! I'm renting one next month to orlando from a friend. she has 3 time shares and never uses them. I may just keep renting from her. I got a week in orlando for $575. I think she just charged me her annual MF.

I do like the convenience of the condo. I will let you all know how it goes.

I'm more of an explorer and like to visit places I've never been so I think rentals would be my best bet. Can you all suggest reputable places to rent from?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Thank you! I'm renting one next month to orlando from a friend. she has 3 time shares and never uses them. I may just keep renting from her. I got a week in orlando for $575. I think she just charged me her annual MF.

I'm more of an explorer and like to visit places I've never been so I think rentals would be my best bet. Can you all suggest reputable places to rent from?

I sent you a P.M.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Redweek is another great rental spot; VRBO etc... But, don't forget: there are rental sites that rent surplus timeshares/condos direct to the public during very low demand times. Not really prime-time summer stuff though. Check the secondary exchange companies.. I can't remember which ones don't require paid membership, but it's in the section on exchanges. DAE and Platinum Exchange come to mind....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kuo20012

Reaction score
etiquite

what is TS etiquette? Since I'm renting, do I clean before I go? Do I get charged a cleaning fee? Is there a walk through to make sure there are no damages? Just want to be informed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No - timeshares are like hotels with front desks and housekeeping services, The resort management takes care of everything. If there are damages or you charge incidentals to the room they go on your credit card.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
what is TS etiquette? Since I'm renting, do I clean before I go? Do I get charged a cleaning fee? Is there a walk through to make sure there are no damages? Just want to be informed.

Every resort has different requests for when you vacate the room. Some don't want you to do anything and some want you to strip beds and put linens in a particular place. I owned one that wanted you to set the garbage out.

If there are no instructions in the unit I call the front desk to see what they want me to do.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you think that $575 for a week in Orlando in January/February is an ok deal, then you can potentially save a lot of money with timeshares.

If you get the right timeshare, you might be able to book two one-week reservations with about the same amount of money and in relatively luxurious resorts. That is because Orlando in January/February has lots of availability.

So again, before buying a timeshare, you need to figure out where and when you'll be going first, then rent a timeshare that you think you'd like to buy.

After buying the timeshare, the years that you do not use the timeshare, you can think of trading it for something you like, like a discount on a cruise, a hotel, or another timeshare in another location. But first and foremost, you should buy where you'd like to go, because that is how timeshares make the most sense.

Last edited:

glmyers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every resort has different requests for when you vacate the room. Some don't want you to do anything and some want you to strip beds and put linens in a particular place. I owned one that wanted you to set the garbage out.

If there are no instructions in the unit I call the front desk to see what they want me to do.

Checking with the front desk is always a good idea. In my experience the higher the level of service during the stay, the less the resort expects at the end of the stay. At a minimum I empty the refrigerator and start the dishwasher as I leave as a courtesy.

gsagan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got out

We had a timeshare with points that cost us both up front and a yearly mf of over 1200. Finally figured out that it was a waste and got rid of it.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Spend some time here on tug and you will figure out that some members rent a lot.

kuo20012

Reaction score
figured it out

so I've been reading alot on here and even if I buy a TS anywhere, if I don't use it, I can still exchange it to go somewhere else or rent it out. Since I'm such a traveler, I can buy a TS and just exchange the week somewhere else.

Is there a list of questions I should ask when buying a pre-owned TS?

glmyers

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a timeshare with points that cost us both up front and a yearly mf of over 1200. Finally figured out that it was a waste and got rid of it.

Not all point systems are the same and a $1,200 annual fee could be a great deal or a ripoff depending on the type and/or how many points it is. Your comment would be far more meaningful with details. I am not a fan of points based timeshares and would never buy points myself, but for some people it is not a bad choice. As with all timeshares it is a question of the value one receives for the ongoing commitment versus the cost.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
so I've been reading alot on here and even if I buy a TS anywhere, if I don't use it, I can still exchange it to go somewhere else or rent it out. Since I'm such a traveler, I can buy a TS and just exchange the week somewhere else.

Is there a list of questions I should ask when buying a pre-owned TS?

All timeshares are pre-owned, you are interested in "buying resale."

Here is the TUG Advice page with lots of info about buying resale:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml

Yes, if you don't want to use your timeshare you can exchange it with an exchange company:

-There is usually a membership fee, and always an exchange fee.

-Some resorts are strong traders and some are weak traders.

-I'd acquire a resort that you want to use at least half the time.​

However, you may or may not be able to rent it. Not all timeshares have rental potential.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Regarding exchanging: Don't assume any old timeshare will grant you a dream vacation someplace else. It isn't how it used to be. You need to own the right timeshare, and make sure the exchange you make is to your advantage.

RCI is the largest exchange company. If you are a Weeks owner, and you deposit your timeshare week with them, you'll receive a certain amount of Trade Power Units (TPU) in exchange. You can spend those TPU toward one or more exchange vacations elsewhere. Any unused TPU remain in your account for a period of time, (a couple of years), until they expire.

It can be a good thing, if you deposit the right unit and receive the right TPU, then spend it more frugally. For example, if they gave you 36 TPU for your deposit (whatever location that may be) and you found an exchange you wanted that required 10 TPU, you'd make that exchange, and have 26 TPU remaining in your account. If you later found another exchange for 12 TPU, you'd make that exchange, and have 14 TPU remaining. And if you then found a third exchange, using 14 TPU, you'd get another exchange, and have zero TPU remaining in your account until your next deposit.

So using this example, you could could get three weeks of vacations for the one week you deposited. There are other fees you'd be paying (an exchange fee for each week you got via exchange), so your use cost would be higher than just the maintenance fee on the week you deposited. But as you can see, you can stretch your vacation time into several vacations.

Having said that, if your deposit got you that same 36 TPU, and the vacation exchange you want requires 38 TPU, you wouldn't be able to make the exchange because you wouldn't have enough TPU in your account.

Don't be misled by the advertising saying you can make exchange vacations all over the world. The fine print (and often unspoken caveat) is "IF you have enough TPU, and even then IF there is an available week to exchange into." If there is no availability, it doesn't matter how many TPU you have - there will be no week available to trade. So it is not a perfect science.

Someone else will be able to explain Points to you - that's a completely different kind of timeshare animal.

Dave

Last edited:

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can rent

What I like about hotels is that I get my room cleaned by someone else if I need that. With a timeshare, I do all the dishes and removal of trash. It's a trade off. So, it really depends on how long I am staying somewhere. If I know I will only be in the room to shower and sleep, a hotel is better. If I need the full kitchen (and I normally do), a timeshare is better.

One of my pet peeves. I hate staying at timeshares that do not provide daily maid service so most of my timeshares do. Just got back from St. Lucia and for two weeks they even did the dishes every day (left a tip every day), and had a card on night table asking when I wanted the bed stripped and provided new sheets and duvea covers whenever I wanted. They also provided two fluffy white robes and free shampoo and conditioner every day. We had one BR with seperate LR and full kitchen and large balconey with million dollar views of mountains and Ocean. Love my timeshares and of course bought re-sales.

Rack rate was over $450 per night if renting from resort.:banana::)

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
One of my pet peeves. I hate staying at timeshares that do not provide daily maid service so most of my timeshares do.

That's funny. I actually dislike maid service. Even when I stay at a hotel or motel I usually decline the daily service. I just get fresh linens and have the trash removed. I like my privacy and I dislike knowing someone may have rummaged through my stuff. I also don't see a need to change bed sheets more than once a week unless there's been some sort of accident; it's just kind of wasteful. Lastly, I worked as a motel maid as a teen so I have some insight from that perspective.

My ownerships offer daily service for a fee but it's not standard. The standard is once or twice a week and often it's just a quick job mid-week, not a thorough cleaning.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves. I hate staying at timeshares that do not provide daily maid service so most of my timeshares do. Just got back from St. Lucia and for two weeks they even did the dishes every day (left a tip every day), and had a card on night table asking when I wanted the bed stripped and provided new sheets and duvea covers whenever I wanted. They also provided two fluffy white robes and free shampoo and conditioner every day. We had one BR with seperate LR and full kitchen and large balconey with million dollar views of mountains and Ocean. Love my timeshares and of course bought re-sales.

The first thing I do when checking into a hotel that provides maid service is to hang out the do not disturb sign, I dont want the maid service

bluechip68

Reaction score

Hi, We are interested in going to St Lucia over the 4th of July. 2 couples with a total of 6 people. Can you tell me where exactly this was? We've never been there. Thank you!!

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Hi, We are interested in going to St Lucia over the 4th of July. 2 couples with a total of 6 people. Can you tell me where exactly this was? We've never been there. Thank you!!

Hi and welcome to TUG.

You can click on any users blue user name to send them a message. In Larry's case you can send and email or a PM.

Sometimes it's easier than asking a question in a thread that is not theirs.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

I'd like to know too. If it was Windward, I expect a review!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first thing I do when checking into a hotel that provides maid service is to hang out the do not disturb sign, I dont want the maid service

Yes I am the same way.

geekette

Reaction score
Timeshares are generally much more spacious and have more bathrooms. There are actual bedrooms with closets and more than one tv. From my first timeshare stay, I never ever again had to spend my morning reading in the bathroom waiting for husband to wake up. No, I could go make coffee, turn on the tv and fix myself breakfast without ever waking him up. Read if I want, on the couch, at teh table, on the balcony, in the hot tub, no issues with having to turn on a light where someone was sleeping.

Fixing my own chow has provided substantial savings that I can instead spend on fun things to do. Yeah, some folks don't like to cook while on vacation, but for me it is far better to make a sandwich for myself at lunch and be in and out quickly to get back to the beach or whatever. Meals out can eat a lot of time and money.

I'm frugal and try to stay in -network as much as possible, but exchange companies open up the world to me. Note that in some large cities you will not find timeshares so you would need a hotel or other arrangements.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Same here. I love having a condo when on vacation.

In fact, this past XMAS week we had gone to our home resort for 4 nights with my brother and his family (they had their own condo)- both rentals.

We ended up with a one bedroom and we were three adults and that was even kind of hard because we had our adult son on the living room pull-out and just one bathroom. (A two bedroom wasn't available for us). We are so used to having 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms when away!

Because of the short stay and holiday situation and the fact that my sister in law didn't want to cook at all, we ended up eating out 4 dinners and a lunch and I remarked that I don't think we had ever eaten out so much in one week never mind just a 1/2 week in our 16 years of owning a timeshare, nor had we even ever spent that much in spending money for a week most times!! It was very expensive and one restaurant was over the top expensive- at least for us-and I said to myself "we aren't doing that again!". It got old fast actually- just not our thing. To us, eating out is a special thing to do once in a while as a treat But hey- it was XMAS and we were with family and it was all good.

(I do think when you travel with other people you spend more money).

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

We have been to Windjammer Landing. It is lovely.