• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

new to the concept

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gathering information on timesharing is like peeling the proverbial onion; the more you get into it the more sophisticated it becomes. A lot depends on your individual situation: Are you a family or a single traveler? Can you purchase without financial strain? Is dining out a major part of your vacation experience? etc etc. We would enjoy our timeshare vacations if nothing more than for (a) the luxury of space and (b) eating convenience (agonizing over the best way to spend two hours and lots of $$ in a restaurant isn't MY idea of a great time, but....'different strokes'). While somewhat younger and waay more ignorant, we bought from the developer (Shell). So, admittedly, we screwed up. But we're still glad we got into it, and that's without knowing 80% of the more sophisticated ways to work the system. Enjoy browsing TUG....definitely time well spent.

Cheers,
Zach

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were older when we bought She'll points at Kona Coast. 2500. Couldn't do much with that but picked up another 3500 for the transfer fees, about $150.
Putting aside the initial cost for first 2500 we're happy with the points. We've stayed at three different Shell properties in HI as well as SF, Whistler, Oregon and Vegas.

carmena79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaiian Princess Hawaiian Sun Holidays Vacations Internationale
Also keep in mind that 99.9 percent of timeshares don't allow pets

juri57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Own 2 time shares - 1 since the late 70's

I'm new to the concept and I just can't wrap around my brain how this would be cost savings but I want to keep an open mind. I've never been to a presentation but have friends who have timeshares and they seem to enjoy it.

===================

I bought my first time share in the late 70's and it cost me $5400.00. It is Royal Aloha with units in Hawaii (Waikiki-Kona & Maui), Spain, Mexico, Phoenix, Branson, Lake Tahoe and Oregon. Annual fees are $650.00. Most time share owners would consider this a good deal and I did when we bought it. We used it and our children used it. We were pleased with the accommodations. The week we own is not set but floating time which means we can go at any of them at any time (based on availability), All that said , if I had to do it over again, I would not buy it again. Why? As I said in one of my previous posts on our last vacation in Europe (Italy and Croatia) we stayed for six weeks and rented B&B's for anywhere from $250 to $350 per week for a one bedroom apartment with kitchen, living room and bedroom. Granted, no pool or exercise room but accommodations were to sleep in and not reside in. We were there to see the sights not the hotel room/Condo. We traveled through most of England, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Croatia, Italy and Greece and stayed mostly in B&B's and Penzions. we also covered just about every state in the US and a good part of the Caribbean. Caribbean was time share through RCI. We look at accommodations as for sleeping only. How much time do you really spend in the Hotel/Condo.

You can view Royal Aloha at the link http://www.ravc.com/ and see what you get at the various locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares force you to vacation which is a good thing.

This is just my personal taste, opinion, and preference (and I'm sure many TUGgers feel the opposite) but I totally disagree with the above-quoted statement.

Do I love to travel? You betcha! But to be forced to travel is not good, at least not good for me. Many things can come up. The biggest one being a financial setback. Sure TSs can allow you to lodge in condos for about the price of a hotel room, but there are so many other peripheral costs in traveling that could make vacationing cost-prohibitive.

As for the argument that vacationing is "good for the soul", "a way to get away from it all and unwind", etc., I'm not disputing that. But if you have to go into debt for it or worry how you're going to pay the rent/mortgage when you get home, then I would have a hard time enjoying my vacation that I spent thousands of dollars for.

But hey (and back to the original thread topic), if you can foresee that you will have the means to travel frequently, then owning a TS can be a good call if you do your research and carefully analyze your personal travel preferences, tastes, needs, and circumstances.

Again, I emphasize this is my personal taste and situation. Others will feel the opposite. :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think you have to look at timeshare ownership and travel holistically. Our timeshares are only a piece of our travel schedule. Yes, some years they are the only traveling we do- we go where we own and that's it. But- some years we ADD to the vacation time we have and we rent to go other places and do other types of trips. Owning a timeshare does not have to be the only way you travel.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Anyone notice that the OP has not been back to this thread.
And this was his one and only post? :ponder:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Anyone notice that the OP has not been back to this thread.
And this was his one and only post? :ponder:

Could still be reading, just not logged in to the BBS.

kuo20012

Reaction score
The same thing your friends are paying $18,000 for can be had for next to nothing. Then you are paying the annual fees in return for the use of that timeshare, usually for one week.

If you buy a timeshare you are buying the deed. If you are getting only one week you are renting it from the owner.

I've simplified this just to create an understanding of the general concept of timeshares.

Yes, but if I'm buying the deed I usually get 1 week a year plus paying maintenance fees. If I rent, I get the one week without maintenance fees. I don't see how timeshares can be a good deal. Not only do you have to pay a maintenance fee, but you also have to pay an annual membership fee.

I can rent an air bnb or just a 3 star hotel for less than that. What is the argument that timeshares are valuable? Why would I pay more for my vacation? I'm not knocking it. I'm just trying to understand the rational.

kuo20012

Reaction score
This is my opinion and for me personally I think timeshares bought via resell that trade well on the exchange networks are pound for pound the best option for me and my family and are one solid use of a timeshare.

For example my absolute best week I picked up for $1000 resale. The point allocation it brings several very cheap vacations for my family and I over the course of a year. So we can go on say 6 really good decent vacations annually the cost break down is as follows.

$1254 exchange fee x 6
$119 combine exchanges (maybe will have to do this once)
$90 annual rci (This is about what annual rci fee come out to paid in advance)
$850 annual maintenance

Total $2313

I think the economics are clear here you will see your return on investment pretty fast. They key is use your timeshare the problem is people not educating themselves on how to get the best utilization out of their timeshare.

Welcome though you officially have found the best site on the WWW that will allow you to gain the knowledge you seek for your endeavor. Try to lay out your goals whether short-term long-term or both.

For me I have multiple timeshares because I am blessed to be in a financial situation that allows this and it allows my parents and sister that otherwise would not have a means to vacation without my timeshares so I share.

Also I plan big summertime family get togethers

:whoopie:

I don't know enough about TS to understand the above. What are points? You can buy the deed to a timeshare for $1000?! That's a song! So you buy 6 and you and your family have 6 weeks of possible vacations? exchange fee costs more than the deed itself? what is an RCI fee?

kuo20012

Reaction score
I think the smart money for you would be to rent a timeshare in a town you like, and compare the experience to staying in a hotel in the same part of town. You can decide for yourself whether it works for you, and how you enjoy vacationing.

For me, the space, convenience, and comfort of a timeshare makes a hotel very UNappealing. I like having a kitchen, a full-sized fridge, the ability to cook meals, and so forth. Having laundry inside the unit means I can pack lighter, and save money on baggage fees. Having a bedroom separate from the living area means I can stay up late, while my spouse hits the sack early, and neither of us is inconvenienced. It's like having my own vacation apartment.

As to purchasing, in my experience buying all my timeshares resale, the real ongoing cost of ownership is the maintenance fees. Because many timeshares can be had for $1, or less, about the only acquisition cost is the paperwork fees to change the deed. Many sellers will also pay those fees, so you can get into owning a very nice timeshare literally for free. You need to be cautious about what you buy, because not all timeshares are created equal. And it's very easy to get into owning a timeshare, but may be quite difficult getting out of one. Take your time, do your research, and know what you're getting. It can be great, if you do it right.

I own an oceanfront 1 bedroom/2 bathroom ~1000sf timeshare in a modest-but-comfortable resort in Hawaii, called Kauai Beach Villas. It has an unobstructable 180-degree ocean view, and is located about 100 feet from the water. Living room, full kitchen, dining area, free laundry in the unit, large master bedroom, and two bathrooms. Sleeps four very comfortably. I got it on eBay for less than $100 about ten years ago. I can reserve any week of the year, including holiday weeks, without paying extra. The 2016 maintenance fees were $1223.00 for a week, which is roughly $175 per night.

Contrast that with the high-end Aqua Kauai Beach Resort hotel on the same property, that rents a 320sf oceanview room for $370 per night, plus taxes. Holiday rates are higher. A week there would be $2590, plus taxes. No kitchen, no laundry, no separate bedroom, only one bathroom. True, they do have a great swimming pool complex, but timeshare owners can use the hotel pool for a modest daily fee.

You'll need to make up your own mind, but I can assure you, after you've stayed in a timeshare or two, you'll never want to go back to a hotel. It's a very different experience.

Dave

Thank you so much!

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if I'm buying the deed I usually get 1 week a year plus paying maintenance fees. If I rent, I get the one week without maintenance fees. I don't see how timeshares can be a good deal. Not only do you have to pay a maintenance fee, but you also have to pay an annual membership fee.

I can rent an air bnb or just a 3 star hotel for less than that. What is the argument that timeshares are valuable? Why would I pay more for my vacation? I'm not knocking it. I'm just trying to understand the rational.

It's not a good thing for most people, no doubt. If you are satisfied with your current situation, a timeshare is not for you at any cost.

A friend of mine just got back from a one month rental with airbnb. It was an old apartment in Chicago. Overall, it worked out fine, but there were a couple issues that would have been dealt with if she was staying in a timeshare instead of a private rental. The water was so scalding hot, she eventually quit taking showers. Towards the end of her stay ( I think she had 4 nights left of a 30 night stay) the bedframe broke. The owner said she would deliver a new bed and it never happened. She is not in the best shape and it wasn't easy for her to get in and out of bed on the floor those last few nights. Just hearing her story turned me off of airbnb. YMMV

ekajun1957

Reaction score
Yes we can debate what good are timeshares over and over. It IS a very individual decision you need to make and you should view as a very big financial decision as well as a vacation decision. I originally bought in probably the wrong way compared to todays market as I bought from the developer. I could have done it cheaper to get to the amount of "points" I have. But saying that I also own a property that very seldom appears for resale.
But I also never put myself in a bind financially to buy any timeshare.
Now what do I have for that. Over 15 years of wonderful vacations, some I know would never have happened if not for my timeshare. I have brought groups of 12 family or more with me to my Orlando timeshare like 5 times, figure the cost of just those in a resort to match a nice timeshare. I have a place for Mardi Gras every year.
Also I am a person who doesn't mind spending the time needed to make timesharing work, I also rent weeks to cover much of my MF's each year.
Timesharing is an investment of time and money to make it worthwhile and well if used right, creates priceless vacations and well, that means a heck of a lot to me.

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know enough about TS to understand the above. What are points? You can buy the deed to a timeshare for $1000?! That's a song! So you buy 6 and you and your family have 6 weeks of possible vacations? exchange fee costs more than the deed itself? what is an RCI fee?

I think it'd be best if you explained where you usually vacation, just the general area (Orlando, Jersey shore, etc) and the time of year.

Then we could better tailor the advice to your particular situation.

The main reason to buy a timeshare in my opinion is to save 30% or more on your resort reservations.

The main drawback however is that resort reservations usually come one week at a time.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

OK first it sounds like you need to read a lot of TUG. Start here:
http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/tug_timeshare_advice.shtml

Second, I meant to post this spreadsheet in my first response in this thread but I forgot where it was. Here it is:
http://www.tug2.net/advice/Timeshare_Ownership_Cost_Comparison.xls
The spreadsheet helps you figure out if a timeshare is worth buying or not. You need to change all the numbers for your situation.

Regarding resales - yes, they are cheap. Search eBay to see how cheap. I bought one for under $100, one for $650, and one for $5000. All three have maintenance fees under $1000 currently. And 2/3 have ocean views from most units (the third has ocean views from just a few units). All three are easily worth it. I used the spreadsheet to ensure that I got a good deal. And when I use that spreadsheet, I estimate the resale value at zero or a negative number, I put inflation a bit high and interest rate on principle low. I also compare it to what I would actually rent instead of a comparable rented unit because it's MY purchase and I'm trying to figure out the value FOR ME.

Use the spreadsheet to do your own math to answer the question you posted in the first post of this thread.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Posted too soon.

kuo20012

Reaction score
my responses

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? no clue...are there some that have international properties? I do like to travel internationally.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? at least half the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? no clue

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 4 including myself

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? school schedule

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 3

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $1k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? YES! Although experienced enough to know it never go as planned

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? yes.

On average, how much percentage does maintenance and membership fees go up annually?

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

I can only tell you how I do it and how it works for me. I'm not trying to argue or convince anyone else that this is best for them.

To address one point you make above, I do not pay MFs and membership fees in two of the three places I own I own some Bluegreen points and I pay a club fee and MF but when I do my calculations all those go into determining my cost per point.

The other two timeshares I own I only pay MF which have taxes included. The do not trade internally so no membership fees with them. The company I use to exchange weeks is free to join so no membership fee there either.

Now to look at my costs to vacation. We save a lot of money, a lot, by cooking in our units as opposed to eating out when we stay in motels and hotels.

With my Summer Bay Orlando lock off unit I pay $984.05 which includes property taxes. For that money I can stay one week in a 3br unit that sleeps 12 for one week or one week in a 2br and one week in a 1 br. Splitting the unit that way costs me an extra $55.

When I split it I can deposit both units with Dial An Exchange and because that area is one of their Prime Time Areas, I frequently get two exchanges for each deposit. So including the exchange fees of $150 I can get 4 weeks vaca for $1,640 or about $400 per week. I can get any week except week 52 with that unit.

That seems pretty cheap to me.

My Tropic Shores unit in Daytona Beach Shores is a 2br, not a lock off and I pay $600 including taxes, no membership fee. I can get any week except 6 or 7 and have taken July 4th the last couple of years. Pretty cheap for a 2br unit during a prime holiday week on the ocean. I can also get 2 for one if I deposit this with DAE.

Everyone vacations differently and this won't work for everyone but this is my "argument" for why TSs are valuable to me. I forgot to mention the room I have compared to the three star hotels. My timeshares are relatively large.

kuo20012

Reaction score
past vacations

mexico, SF bay area, China, Taiwan, Disneyland, Disney World, Europe, San Antonio, etc. I travel all over the place when I get curious about it. So I need something that allows me to travel internationally.

I also heard there are timeshares where you can get more than one week a year. I have a friend who can basically stay at their condo every other weekend in Galveston...I'm in Houston. What type of TS is that called?

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Where do you want your home resort to be? no clue...are there some that have international properties? I do like to travel internationally.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? at least half the time

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? school schedule

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? YES! Although experienced enough to know it never go as planned

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? yes.

On average, how much percentage does maintenance and membership fees go up annually?

This is just my opinion.
From your answers above, especially your answer to the first question, it seems that timeshares may not be for you.

A timeshare usually entitles you to the same week every year at the same resort, usually in the same unit.

If you are not sure where you want to vacation, then why would you consider buying a timeshare which will commit you to the same place, time, and possibly unit?

Also, international timeshares are usually a bad idea because you'd be dependent airplane transportation, which varies in price wildly from year to year. Yet, you'd still be on the hook for the maintenance fees even if you cant go one year. Usually timeshares makes the most sense at destinations you can drive to.

Cheers.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

The primary difficulty here is that $500 allowance for annual MF. I can't think of any desirable timeshare that will sleep 4 during school holidays that is that cheap. Ad another $100 for exchange co. membership (since the OP doesn't want to stay in his home resort), and over $200 for EACH of those exchanges, he better be looking at the Last Minute Rental forum and at Sky Auction.

(just my opinion) given your current financial situation of not being comfortable setting aside, say, $1200 a year for a family vacation, plus travel cost, to hold off. Timeshares are a luxury good, and should not be acquired- even for free- if you can't set aside the resources upfront (and ongoing).

Oh, to answer your question, expect MF to increase around 5-7% to stay ahead of maintenance issues. Too cheap and unplanned 'special assessments' pop up for necessary repairs. Remember, you're the owner. and hence, responsible for everything (along with about 50 other interval owners)

Jim

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You first need to decide where and how you like to vacation. For example, in Vegas, Branson and Orlando you are going to be ok with renting almost any time of year, with no ownership burdens. Cheaper there to rent than to own.

If you want somewhere fancy or exotic or islandy, you may be better off looking to buy once you have a favored destination in mind.

I like Vegas, Branson and Orlando just fine, but I also like New York, Boston, D.C., Miami, Key West, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Mexico, Scottsdale, Palm Springs, Captiva Island, Door County, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. (Some examples of my recent/booked timeshare vacations). For those locations, I need timeshare ownership to save money over renting from someone that owns there, because those are in higher demand. So I have to own in order to trade (in system or through an exchange co).

It also depends on the size of your party and what you are comfortable with. My usual traveling party of 4 people usually requires a 3 bedroom unit. COULD we squeeze into a 400 sq foot hotel room priced equivalent to a motel 6? I suppose it is technically possible. WOULD we ever do that now that we know we can have a 1600 square foot 3 bedroom 2 bath unit with full kitchen and living room for only about 30% more per night, with a little planning?! HELL NO!!!!!! We like luxury, and the more we vacation the more spoiled we get. We are there to escape our everyday life, not put up with so-so accommodations.

My husband has gotten so spoiled over the years that he will REFUSE to stay at a hotel. The only time he will stay in one is if: 1) there is no timeshare at the destination AND 2) we must be on the concierge floor so he has a place to snack and watch TV that is not in the room.

Now if you and your travel companions have low to average expectations, then perhaps you won't see the benefit of timeshare stays. I recommend that you rent one and see if you like the difference in space. Then go back to trying a standard hotel room. I bet you can't do it. :rofl:

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

$500 for 7 nights is a full-size condo is unrealistic. If that really is your Max budget right now, I don't think this is a good time for you to buy a timeshare.

Instead, try out a few rentals from our Last Minute Rentals Forum where timeshare rentals from other Tuggers are only $700 per week:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
mexico, SF bay area, China, Taiwan, Disneyland, Disney World, Europe, San Antonio, etc. I travel all over the place when I get curious about it. So I need something that allows me to travel internationally.

I also heard there are timeshares where you can get more than one week a year. I have a friend who can basically stay at their condo every other weekend in Galveston...I'm in Houston. What type of TS is that called?

Hmm.
There are places in Mexico, Asia, Orlando and San Antonio where you can stay for less than $75 a night. Not many I would stay in for that (unless they are sponsored ie Military etc..). Of course, there are many 'last minute-getaways etc...' that you can rent from the exchange companies--many without even owning a TS. Those often run less than $75 a night. Especially during very, very low demand weeks. So, I would advocate you spend your time and money renting and not looking for bargain timeshare ownership under $500 a year. Unless you're devoted and motivated to make bargains happen--it's not for you.

There are many fractional ownerships in timeshares and condominiums. It's not a big deal; just more money. Like John above, if you're willing to trade/deposit and gather mulitple weeks.... you can double or triple your weeks. But, not for $500 or less. 26 weeks a year in Galveston? Or maybe just 26 weekends? Well maybe. You can own points and just use enough for the weekends; but that is usually over 1/2 the value of a week. You'd still need lots of points and $$$$

Good luck with your searches... look in the bargain section.
cheers.

ekajun1957

Reaction score

There are "points based" timeshares in which you have an allocated amount of points to use each year. You usually "own" in a particular place and have preference on reservations there usually. But you can use points at any of that timeshares properties if available when you want. Then you can also exchange and even some have exchange programs built in. So yes theoretically you have access all over the world. But also there are fees most times if you do something other than a normal reservation.
So along with deciding if timesharing is for you, you then need to decide many other things like where, what company, how much.
Some like myself have large sums of points that can lead to several weeks a year if manipulated properly. But it is not always simple.

Last edited: