• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to Hilton Grand Vacation Club

DKZB

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Grand Floridian / DVC Copper Creek / DVC Bay Lake Tower / DVC Beach Club Villas /
Technical indulgence:

ROFR is just as much of the market as the transactions between individuals being executed. It is also no more visible or invisible than the transactions between private individuals … only transparent to us because the party making an offer reports it.

ROFR may be a “price support” in the sense that it is increased demand that drives prices up … but it is a natural part of the market.
In a perfect world you would be right, ROFR simply takes an already agreed upon transaction so it shouldn’t move a market. In reality people are emotional. For multiple reasons the pain of having a contract taken in ROFR causes people to move their bid higher to try to avoid ROFR. Also the brokers play into that fear and remind would be buyers of the prices at which previous contracts were taken and encouraging them to bid higher.

I am personally a bottom feeder who sees being taken in ROFR as a badge of honor for a contract well negotiated but still I have seen the behavioral impact first hand. It definitely provides price support in increasing demand and also setting s psychological floor.

Reactions: brp

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Listing price and actual sale price are not always the same. For example, when buying DVC contracts which seems like a far more liquid (and transparent) market, it is not uncommon to see deals 10-30% below average listing prices. Unfortunately, listing prices are not always reflective of what willing sellers might minimally take. In fact I have thought about offering a nominal amount on many contracts that fit my profile in search of true price discovery.
honestly you seem very help rejecting. we're trying to help. i've bought five hgvc deeds in the past four years and scoured thousands of ads. if you want to pretend there's some secret formula to determine the exact optimal price on hgvc feel free to engage in magical thinking. i'm trying to save you the wasted effort. Vegas plat 2 br deeds except Trump are in the $4000-$7000 range and good for all but high demand weeks/locations. boom. done. find one and buy one. move on.

for high demand weeks like ski weeks in CO or UT, prices will be higher. Buy what you use. Buy resale. You won’t lose your shirt. I own in Lagoon because we go there every year and didn’t want to chance not getting what we want.

Last edited:

SNS02

Reaction score
I think FMV depends on the seller too. Someone wanting out of contract is someone wanting out of contract for whatever reason. Ski Resorts are harder given people dont tend to sell those quite as often. I'd probably think about it this way: roughly how many years will you use it? What would your generally pay for a week unit in the area for those amount of years? As long as MFs and the cost to buy work out as a REALLY good deal compared to just paying for it every year then thats probably a good price. FWIW as a data point: just closed on 27,600 platinum points at Kings Land for $5000 + closing costs etc. I was aiming for under .25/pt for purchase and under .10/pt for annual MFs, but wanting access to a 3 bedroom unit in Hawaii for when we travel with family. Granted there's a lot more Hawaii out there to pick from.

DKZB

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Grand Floridian / DVC Copper Creek / DVC Bay Lake Tower / DVC Beach Club Villas /
honestly you seem very help rejecting. we're trying to help. i've bought five hgvc deeds in the past four years and scoured thousands of ads. if you want to pretend there's some secret formula to determine the exact optimal price on hgvc feel free to engage in magical thinking. i'm trying to save you the wasted effort. Vegas plat 2 br deeds except Trump are in the $4000-$7000 range and good for all but high demand weeks/locations. boom. done. find one and buy one. move on.

for high demand weeks like ski weeks in CO or UT, prices will be higher. Buy what you use. Buy resale. You won’t lose your shirt. I own in Lagoon because we go there every year and didn’t want to chance not getting what we want.
I appreciate your candor and assure you I am in no way trying to reject help! I really do appreciate it!

Maybe its just because I came to DVC a bit naive and paid more on my first contract than I should have. I just didn't know enough at the time. Over the years I've seen SOOO many others pay thousands more for the same contracts. It's not help rejecting I'm really just trying to understand if/why this is different than my lived experiences to date.

BTW the normal range is super helpful! If I save 10% on $4000 its only $400 vs. 10% on $20,000 is $2,000

Anyone here ever been a seller? How hard are they to resell and/or how long do they typically sit?

just closed on 27,600 platinum points at Kings Land for $5000 + closing costs etc.
How much do closing costs on HGVC contracts typically run?

I'm used to around $500-$800 depending on the purchase price on the DVC side.

Anyone have a good title company they would recommend?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
I appreciate your candor and assure you I am in no way trying to reject help! I really do appreciate it!

Maybe its just because I came to DVC a bit naive and paid more on my first contract than I should have. I just didn't know enough at the time. Over the years I've seen SOOO many others pay thousands more for the same contracts. It's not help rejecting I'm really just trying to understand if/why this is different than my lived experiences to date.

I will say that the disparity between direct and resale at DVC is quite a bit less than here at HGVC. So, a retail purchase at DVC is not as much of a mistake as HGVC. As an example, the Boardwalk and Beach Club that we bought resale in 2008 were recently worth about twice what we paid on the resale market. And the direct prices, when one could get it, was maybe 20-25% higher. So, the penalty was relatively small. In fact, we wanted to do a small add-on and went direct as the savings in closing fees pretty much ate up any price difference, and the points were available same day.

Here at HGVC, the disparity is typically much greater. We're talking like 20% of retail price for a resale, versus the 75%-80% above. So here it makes sense.

With that said, I agree with the sentiment that a few bucks here and there on the purchase disappear quickly when weighed against the MF ratio and it may not be worth agonizing over a few percent if one can find a very good ratio.

Cheers.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
How hard are they to resell and/or how long do they typically sit?
It will highly depend on what you purchased. The free give away are free for a reason.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
going back to your original question. buy ski season weeks if you want ski season weeks especially large units and especially during holidays or weeks 51-52. they don't turn over a whole lot so expect to pay relatively high prices but still much better than retail.

For point generators someone here keeps a spreadsheet of best deeds per MF. Of course those deeds tend to be more expensive upfront. Everyone has a different approach. You can pick up for free gold season point generators that aren't too shabby. I tend to stick with highly liquid platinum deeds even if they're a little more upfront, albeit with lower $/MF annually, so I know I can unload them down the road.

Outside of NYC I agree closing costs are as described but then you have to pay about $1100 to HGVC to transfer and then activate/enroll your deed. Obviously everything is negotiable with the seller.

Last edited:

DKZB

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
going back to your original question. buy ski season weeks if you want ski season weeks especially large units and especially during holidays or weeks 51-52. they don't turn over a whole lot so expect to pay relatively high prices but still much better than retail.

For point generators someone here keeps a spreadsheet of best deeds per MF. Of course those deeds tend to be more expensive upfront. Everyone has a different approach. You can pick up for free good season point generators that aren't too shabby. I tend to stick with highly liquid platinum deeds even if they're a little more upfront, albeit with lower $/MF annually, so I know I can unload them down the road.

Outside of NYC I agree closing costs are as described but then you have to pay about $1100 to HGVC to transfer and then activate/enroll your deed. Obviously everything is negotiable with the seller.
Without needing to sit through a sales pitch. What is the retail price on HGVC points now a days? I'm sure it depends on the property but as a ballpark?

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
Re: Sunrise Lodge availability

Booking a 3-bed or 4-bed from the December Holidays thru March at 9 months is next to impossible. For April, it is still do-able at 9 months.
If a 2-bed would work, you will likely be able to book some weeks during the regular ski season, with the exception of holiday weeks 7, 51, and 52.
There are 33 2-bedroom units, but only 13 3-bed units and 5 4-bed units, so supply of 3 & 4 beds is pretty limited

If you do end up buying a 4-bed, the limited supply could still be an issue at 12 months if you’re not one of the first 5 people to book when reservation opens.

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Without needing to sit through a sales pitch. What is the retail price on HGVC points now a days? I'm sure it depends on the property but as a ballpark?
pure junk like 2500 EOY silver might go for as llittle as $10k, up to $500k+ for penthouse plat season or event weeks in NYC or Oahu.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
2. If we want a “peak” weak like Christmas, New Years or Presidents’ Day, do you really need a “fixed week” or are we likely ok with flexible points?
Both Valdoro and Sunrise Lodges were sold as fixed weeks for Christmas and New Years weeks. Presidents week is more durable if you book during HW (obviously that means that you must own winter ski week there)

njcoach24

Reaction score
Vegas deeds with a blended MF ratio of just under $0.11. It's not uncommon to find Platinum annual Boulevard deeds for MF ratios as low as $0.09

This is insightful

have not used ROFR much in recent history (based on information here), so there is more chance of getting something at a better price with patience

Disney also placing resale restrictions on some resorts only allowing you to stay at the resort you purchased.

Disney will still ROFR here and there for specific resorts but it is no longer the price support that it once was circa 2021 and 2022

Wonder more about how this all looks via Hilton.

SNS02

Reaction score

BTW the normal range is super helpful! If I save 10% on $4000 its only $400 vs. 10% on $20,000 is $2,000

Anyone here ever been a seller? How hard are they to resell and/or how long do they typically sit?

How much do closing costs on HGVC contracts typically run?

I'm used to around $500-$800 depending on the purchase price on the DVC side.

Anyone have a good title company they would recommend?
Closing costs really depend on who you use or if you are doing it yourself. Ours was $1443. I purchased through Fidelity Real Estate, which is higher end for costs BUT not as high as other places. You can def, do cheaper. Mostly we looked at the overall cost per point and wanted it around 25c/pt all in with closing costs. We were pretty close to that.
Closing costs: $525.00 (Est)
Service Fee: $349.00
Estoppel Fee: $95.00
Resort Transfer Fee: $474.00

Club Activation Fee: $695.00
*This is billed directly to you after closing by Hilton

jscboston

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sunrise (Park City UT), The District by Hilton Club (DC), HGVC Flamingo (Las Vegas, baby!)
My experience booking Sunrise ski weeks …. Going back to 2018 I have had some decent success booking studio units during prime ski season at the 9 month window using Vegas points. But I check regularly and have never seen a prime ski week for anything larger than a studio. There may be a stray day or two here and there, but never a whole week. As a result of this experience I ended up buying a 1 BR ski week and a 2 BR ski week, which I book back-to-back for a two week stay. This guarantees that I can ski there every winter with my young adult sons and be more comfortable than we would be crammed into a studio unit.