• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott branded Charleston Resort Announced

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any idea when Charleston inventory will be available to book? We did a sales presentation at NCV in May and sales person said start to check in JUN of 2024 for availability. I just looked and it doesn't seem to be there yet.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This article says by early 2025.

Official site simply says begin development in 2025. I would say end of 2025 at best.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Any idea when Charleston inventory will be available to book? We did a sales presentation at NCV in May and sales person said start to check in JUN of 2024 for availability. I just looked and it doesn't seem to be there yet.

The text below was posted earlier in this thread (Post #90 from March 2024). Looks like construction won't even begin until sometime in 2025.

Marriott Vacations provides update on its new Charleston timeshare project
The hospitality giant behind a timeshare development planned for the historic City Market area announced new details about the project this week, saying it plans to start construction next year.
  • Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp. also disclosed that the downtown property will be the first in its "City Collection" to operate under the Westin lodging flag.
  • A similar Westin Vacation Club is planned for Savannah, starting in 2026.
  • Last year, Marriott Vacations began testing the site for soil and groundwater contaminants.
  • Representatives for the Westin deal sought early-stage approval in December from the city's Technical Review Committee, which asked them to return after they made unspecified changes to the development plan.

We were just in Charleston a few weeks ago staying at the Liberty Place Hilton Club. We walked by the planned site for the Westin Charleston City Collection several times and it's still being used as an hourly fee surface parking lot.

Given all of that, I wouldn't expect occupancy before 2026 or even 2027, so probably no ability to see inventory before late 2025 or, most likely, 2026. It's a ground-up build, so it will take a while. They likely won't start accepting future reservations until they have a firm open date.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think they opened reservations for Waikiki in April for occupancy starting in October. So perhaps about a six month lead time before they open the resort for occupancy. It's going to be a while and certainly not June 2024, which is actually almost half over.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It's going to be a while and certainly not June 2024, which is actually almost half over.

Yep. More likely would be June 2026. The sales rep just got his year wrong! :ponder:

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not planned to open until 2026; so def not going to find any inventory anytime soon. I would think late 2025 at the earliest.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
Nothing moves fast in the Historic District in Charleston. Agree it's likely going to be 2026 or later. A sales rep at Crystal Shores told us it's going to be a full- service resort, not a " City Collection" ( formerly known as Club Pulse).

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Nothing moves fast in the Historic District in Charleston. Agree it's likely going to be 2026 or later. A sales rep at Crystal Shores told us it's going to be a full- service resort, not a " City Collection" ( formerly known as Club Pulse).
That isn’t what MVW stated on a past earnings call.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Typical sales lie. Corporate has already announced it as a City Collection resort. I don’t the random sales guy knows better than the CEO that made the announcement…

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Typical sales lie. Corporate has already announced it as a City Collection resort. I don’t the random sales guy knows better than the CEO that made the announcement…
I'm also not sure what or how the the property would be different if it were not a City Collection. What could or would they be able to change to make it a "full service resort"?

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also not sure what or how the the property would be different if it were not a City Collection. What could or would they be able to change to make it a "full service resort"?
Exactly. That parcel is too tiny to be able to provide the range of amenities a full resort would offer.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
Maybe have a washer/ dryer and a full kitchen?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe have a washer/ dryer and a full kitchen?
To my knowledge, there aren’t any MVC resorts that have those in their studio villas (though there are Vistana resorts that have them).

And there are many MVC resorts that don’t offer W/Ds and/or full kitchens in their larger villas - Waikoloa, KBC, and MOC (original towers) being three that immediately come to mind.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
To my knowledge, there aren’t any MVC resorts that have those in their studio villas (though there are Vistana resorts that have them).
Remember, both Charleston and Savannah will be branded as Westin, not MVC. Not sure if that changes what MVW may include as far as furnishings, since these will be City Collection, but just wanted to point out they will be WVC not MVC.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, both Charleston and Savannah will be branded as Westin, not MVC. Not sure if that changes what MVW may include as far as furnishings, since these will be City Collection, but just wanted to point out they will be WVC not MVC.

I’m sure it won’t change anything. No way these resorts will have kitchens or W/D. I’m sure they will be on par with the other former pulse not city collection locations. Essentially just glorified hotel rooms.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I’m sure it won’t change anything. No way these resorts will have kitchens or W/D. I’m sure they will be on par with the other former pulse not city collection locations. Essentially just glorified hotel rooms.
I would suspect the same as you, but it will be interesting to see if MVW does try to differentiate new-build Westin Vacation Clubs from similar Marriott Vacation Clubs in any way other than the sign.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think there are any Vistana resorts without a washer and dryer in every room. Even the Hawaii studios have washer and dryer. Perhaps Sheraton Kauai has some that don't have in room laundry?

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
I don't think there are any Vistana resorts without a washer and dryer in every room. Even the Hawaii studios have washer and dryer. Perhaps Sheraton Kauai has some that don't have in room laundry?

To my knowledge all Westin and Sheraton units labeled studio or higher have a washer and dryer, including Kauai. The one exception I’m aware of is at the Sheraton Steamboat, which was mostly a hotel conversion, has some rooms that are labeled as “hotel rooms”. These do not have washer/dryer. They have only a mini fridge and microwave.

So, I would guess that these new Westin properties would follow the same convention and have a washer/dryer unless labeled as a hotel room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Sheraton Kauai studios, one bed and two bed units have full laundry in unit. Pic below from a studio unit.

4f65455efca0e4bd6791e101a4170909.jpg

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the Q2 Earnings presentation.

1722951591745.png

One other note from the conference call- They said they expect a more modest points maintenance fee increase this year of less than 5%.

Last edited:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

View attachment 97480

One other note from the conference call- They said they expect a more modest points maintenance fee increase this year of less than 5%.
Maintenance fee increases for next year are going to have to be subdued if MVC wants to keep the system in order. Otherwise the running for the hills will accelerate. They simply can’t continue to be increasing by double digits % annually and expect owners to stick with it.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maintenance fee increases for next year are going to have to be subdued if MVC wants to keep the system in order. Otherwise the running for the hills will accelerate. They simply can’t continue to be increasing by double digits % annually and expect owners to stick with it.

Yeah their 2Q results were below expectations as well. So I think they realize they need to do something to tame down the maintenance fees or sales will get even worse. The proof will be in the pudding of course when the bills start coming...

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Abound & Asia Pacific Points

View attachment 97480

Will be interesting to see if Khao Lak is part of Bali points or Asia Pacific points which are both significantly less than MF's on Abound Points. Adding inventory in Indonesia and Thailand will cost less to build than US locations.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if Khao Lak is part of Bali points or Asia Pacific points which are both significantly less than MF's on Abound Points. Adding inventory in Indonesia and Thailand will cost less to build than US locations.

My assumption is that it will be part of the Asia Pacific Points trust.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I thought Westin was going to build in Orlando? Was that just a salesperson talking?