• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Marriott branded Charleston Resort Announced

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
That's exactly what I said... see the statement that said "the building(s) on the corner of Bay and Market street that house the Church & Union Charleston and Savannah Candy Kitchen of Charleston are not part of the parcel."
I was naming the building, adding information, yet in agreement with your statement.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hate to tell you but Belmond no longer owns Charleston Place Hotel and the new owners have "tackied up the place."

Wow, that's news to me, but I'm not surprised.... that hotel has had several owners since we've been visiting Charleston over the last 3 decades.
it's a great property so I hope it returns to its former glory, as it were.

Also hope to get back to our regular visits to Charleston, Glynda, so that we can see you and your husband again (remaining unnamed just to be prudent)....
We were only there once last year instead of our 4 planned visits. We miss you two a lot.....our evenings out were so special and enjoyable.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not including the proposed Marriott timeshare, hotels in the planning stages, approved or begun in just the French Quarter/Market area of Charleston now:

A few doors to the west of the Seaman's Church on North Market Street, now called Rainbow Market, a 50 room boutique hotel.

Two blocks deep between North Market Street and Pinckney St, bordered by Church and Anson Streets, a150 room hotel, condos, retail and restaurants.

The north east corner of Anson and Pinckney a 50 room boutique hotel.

One block south of South Market St on State St (Where the Scotsman convenience store is now by The Lodge Alley Inn) a 50 room boutique hotel.

155 Meeting Street just south of the City Market area, a stepped-up to 7 stories 150 room Four Seasons Hotel, retail, restaurants and condos.

Concord Street between Fleet Landing and Waterfront Park, under construction now, a 209 room hotel.

Across the street from proposed Marriott is Union Pier, where Carnival docks now, 70 acres comprised of hotels, retail, condos, green space and cruise ship pier.

Meanwhile, as our politicians greedily agree to cover the earth with concrete, they are also paying consultants millions of dollars for flood studies; the Dutch Dialogues among them. The findings? Basically provide places for the water to go even if it means removing homes and buildings and constructing basins and green spaces to catch or absorb the water. Another is to build a billion dollar, 9 mile,12 foot high concrete sea wall around the peninsula. Oh, and placing rising and retractable walls in the rivers around the peninsula to stop storm surge during a hurricane.

I don't have a problem with the Marriott per se. I'd rather see it than a hotel. But when will it stop? When will Charleston no longer be recognizable as Charleston? Some would argue that it already is.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, that's news to me, but I'm not surprised.... that hotel has had several owners since we've been visiting Charleston over the last 3 decades.

Also hope to get back to our regular visits to Charleston, Glynda, so that we can see you and your husband again (remaining unnamed just to be prudent)....
We were only there once last year instead of our 4 planned visits. We miss you two a lot.....our evenings out were so special and enjoyable.
It's been confusing! First it was The Omni. Then it was called the Orient Express Charleston Place Hotel. When a legal issue arose over the use of the name "Orient Express," the name was changed to Belmond. Then Belmond was acquired by LVHM, Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy. It has been owned by Beemok Capital since Oct 2021.

We miss you two too! Always had fun talking to y'all and of course, eating out together! Hope to see you soon!

Reactions: jme

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the tallest buildings (floors) in the surrounding area?
Example. Are any commercial buildings over four (4) stories tall.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
The Old Seaman's Church which houses Church and Union and Tempest Restaurants won't be included (the peaked roof building). That's a very historic building. The parking lots also sit on a very historic property.. There has been a lot of pushing to allow archeologists to dig there before building anything. That may be why the hotel that was planned there never came about. Two sides of the lot houses horse barn carriage businesses.

Hate to tell you but Belmond no longer owns Charleston Place Hotel and the new owners have "tackied up the place."
We thought Tempest was fantastic last June when we visited. I had red snapper for dinner and I felt it was one of the best prepared fish dishes I have ever had.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What are the tallest buildings (floors) in the surrounding area?
Example. Are any commercial buildings over four (4) stories tall.
Yes, there are a few. However, boutique hotels thus far are limited to four floors. That is what this land was approved to be. A boutique hotel. Variances to height restrictions, particularly south of Calhoun St, are contested vigorously by the public, the neighborhood associations (in this case there would be two), the Board of Architectural Review, the Historic Charleston Foundation and the Preservation Society. Commercial roof top bars as well are a touchy subject. However, in this immediate area, a roof top bar for guests (and their guests) most likely shouldn't be a problem. When this property was first approved for a boutique hotel, about five years ago, there was an Irish bar sitting on it.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We thought Tempest was fantastic last June when we visited. I had red snapper for dinner and I felt it was one of the best prepared fish dishes I have ever had.
We went to Tempest yesterday for my husband's birthday. It was brunch and it was our first visit. It was very good. Will have to go back and try dinner. We've been to Church and Union several times but the noise level was deafening.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Marty, there is a new restaurant on Broad St very close to G&M Fast and French. Two old buildings connected by a hyphen, that have been sitting empty for years were restored and turned into an upscale Italian restaurant, Sorelle (Sisters). The dining room is reserved for 90 days ahead and the only way to eat there now, is at a bar in the mercado. The line iorms an outside at 4:30 PM and stretches quite far especially there only very few seats. Looking forward to the night we can finally get in there!

Sorelle Charleston

• Love
Reactions: jme

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This article (and link) from our local newspaper, was published in 2018 when plans and hearings had begun on the boutique hotel, Hotel Eliza, which fell through and now is proposed for a Marriott timeshare. There is a rendering of the proposed hotel as well as the amazing history of this property and the need for an architectural dig prior to construction.

One of Charleston’s most intriguing archaeological sites could be lost forever

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Marty, there is a new restaurant on Broad St very close to G&M Fast and French. Two old buildings connected by a hyphen, that have been sitting empty for years were restored and turned into an upscale Italian restaurant, Sorelle (Sisters). The dining room is reserved for 90 days ahead and the only way to eat there now, is at a bar in the mercado. The line iorms an outside at 4:30 PM and stretches quite far especially there only very few seats. Looking forward to the night we can finally get in there!

Sorelle Charleston

Sorelle looks great. :) I already know what I want----app plus any of these entrees:

cin cin !!!!!

appetizer:
FUNGHI
Wood-Fired Mushrooms, Salsa Verde

+

entree:
BONE-IN HERITAGE PORK CHOP
Amaro Nonino Agrodolce, Toasted Pecans, Cherry Mostarda

AGNELLO E PEPERONATA
Grilled Lamb Chops, Sweet Pepper Stew, Prosciutto di Parma, Olive-Rosemary Jus

LINE CAUGHT SWORDFISH
Piccata-Style, Sicilian Capers, Brown Butter

Buon appetito sorelle!!!!
1683483619046.png

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are a few. However, boutique hotels thus far are limited to four floors. That is what this land was approved to be. A boutique hotel. Variances to height restrictions, particularly south of Calhoun St, are contested vigorously by the public, the neighborhood associations (in this case there would be two), the Board of Architectural Review, the Historic Charleston Foundation and the Preservation Society. Commercial roof top bars as well are a touchy subject. However, in this immediate area, a roof top bar for guests (and their guests) most likely shouldn't be a problem. When this property was first approved for a boutique hotel, about five years ago, there was an Irish bar sitting on it.
Thanks for sharing this information.

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish the pulse locations could be equipped at least as well as a studio and one bedroom residence inn.

View attachment 73614
have a 1 BR or even a studio like this lockoff with a hotel room without the kitchen. Still a Pulse. A Balcony and a resort pool would be nice but I can give them up for location. But space for a family is what makes it a vacation club property and not just a hotel that you can use points with.
I love the Pulse in NY but we’re past the family vacation concept. It’s small but in a great location. More in key cities (and Europe) would be wonderful. Older people (us) still want to travel and younger ones are
not having as many children.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, as our politicians greedily agree to cover the earth with concrete, they are also paying consultants millions of dollars for flood studies; the Dutch Dialogues among them. The findings? Basically provide places for the water to go even if it means removing homes and buildings and constructing basins and green spaces to catch or absorb the water. Another is to build a billion dollar, 9 mile,12 foot high concrete sea wall around the peninsula. Oh, and placing rising and retractable walls in the rivers around the peninsula to stop storm surge during a hurricane.

Ah, hubris. Thy name is civic planners. Nature is going to do what nature is going to do. Charleston has to think about what the real risk is to these plans in light of sea level rise and stronger and more frequent hurricanes. Walls only redirect the water to other, probably less wealthy, communities, and they are not particularly effective, either.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott Vacations provides update on its new Charleston timeshare project

This will be behind a paywall for almost everyone, but here are some excerpts
  • The hospitality giant behind a timeshare development planned for the historic City Market area announced new details about the project this week, saying it plans to start construction next year.
  • Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corp. also disclosed that the downtown property will be the first in its "City Collection" to operate under the Westin lodging flag.
  • A similar Westin Vacation Club is planned for Savannah, starting in 2026.
  • Last year, Marriott Vacations began testing the site for soil and groundwater contaminants.
  • Representatives for the Westin deal sought early-stage approval in December from the city's Technical Review Committee, which asked them to return after they made unspecified changes to the development plan.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the partnership that developed the the HHI and MB resorts for HGVC also recently opened a Charleston resort. It will be nice to increase the options in II vs RCI. But, yes, I would love if Marriott built their Pulse locations more like the Custom House, because, otherwise, I don't see the difference between a MVC resort and a hotel room.
Custom House was spectacular. We are in The Mayflower this week and aside from the location and it's 'history' , DW was not too impressed, "this seems like just a regular hotel room, actually a slight downgrade because we are missing a microwave. Plus no toaster.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Custom House was spectacular. We are in The Mayflower this week and aside from the location and it's 'history' , DW was not too impressed, "this seems like just a regular hotel room, actually a slight downgrade because we are missing a microwave. Plus no toaster.
Yes, it’s a hotel room. I believe that room type is even literally called “hotel room” when you book it. If you want a bigger room, they are available. But DC is a city where there is so much to see and do that we spend very little time in the room, so the hotel room is fine for us.

The history that the Mayflower has been part of is impressive. Not sure why you put it in quotes, it’s real even if it doesn’t interest you. And it might be counterintuitive, but you usually get a microwave in low-end hotel rooms, but rarely in higher-end hotels.

You will be disappointed every time if you expect the “City Collection” properties to have the amenities of the beach resorts. They are different products intended for different types of vacations.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in The Mayflower this week and aside from the location and it's 'history' , DW was not too impressed, "this seems like just a regular hotel room, actually a slight downgrade because we are missing a microwave. Plus no toaster.
I'm not wishing to be mean or dismissive in any way...just hoping to lift your and your DW's spirits.

You're in a Distinctive Premium hotel in the middle of DC and paying Courtyard prices to do so - enjoy it! We often stay at the Mayflower (on both the hotel and MVC sides) and I assure you there is neither a microwave nor toaster in the hotel either. What the Mayflower does have is a good restaurant downstairs (Edgar), a great coffee shop next door with amazing croissants and nutbreads (Gregorys), and a spectacular breakfast spot a five minute walk north on Connecticut Ave (Tatte Bakery & Cafe).

Last edited:

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All for "timeshares" in urban areas... while I don't expect a full-fledged condo, I do want a little bit more space than a regular hotel room. If it's "just a hotel room," I might as well book a hotel with points and get lounge access for breakfast and snacks. What am I missing?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
All for "timeshares" in urban areas... while I don't expect a full-fledged condo, I do want a little bit more space than a regular hotel room. If it's "just a hotel room," I might as well book a hotel with points and get lounge access for breakfast and snacks. What am I missing?
All true. The part you are missing perhaps is that some owners want to use their MVC ownership to book an urban stay rather than pay cash or use Bonvoy points at a hotel/AirBnb/etc. Outside of that, it would make sense to book where the factors fit your needs the most.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Price. Weekdays at the MVC Mayflower are usually cheaper and often much cheaper than hotel rates. Same goes for the South Beach Pulse, SD Pulse, and Custom House in Boston. On weekends the choice is less clear, but the Custom House is still a steal for a 1BR in a prime Boston location. Same for SD...though the location is less prime.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothin' for nothin'...but I was just having this discussion in another forum. The comparables for MVC Pulse locations are hotels in the same city not other MVC resorts...even if you do use the same 'currency' (Abound Points). It's like expecting a Mexico City hotel room to have the same features as a Cancun resort villa just because you pay for both in Pesos.

Last edited:

jellen613

Reaction score
Price. Weekdays at the MVC Mayflower are usually cheaper and often much cheaper than hotel rates. Same goes for the South Beach Pulse, SD Pulse, and Custom House in Boston. On weekends the choice is less clear, but the Custom House is still a steal for a 1BR in a prime Boston location. Same for SD...though the location is less prime.
Yes, price. I have used points to stay at the NYC Pulse City property, which some say don't use points for that. I am going for 1 night in Sept 2024. I looked at the hotel prices that same night, very similar properties, none were under $400-$500. So I have points I need to use by years end, and I used them. The flip side of that is I can go to Marriott Fairway Villas in the fall during the week (or even weekends) for 125-250 points a night. We can go to world class restaurants in Atlantic City, walk the beach off season. So the extra points I spend on a City property, I can save points staying at another lovely well equipped property.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geller said the opening date for Charleston is planned for 2026 on the Q1 Investor Call today. And that it would be added to the MVC US Land Trust. No mention of it being available with Star Options.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Geller said the opening date for Charleston is planned for 2026 on the Q1 Investor Call today. And that it would be added to the MVC US Land Trust. No mention of it being available with Star Options.
Thanks for adding the update for Savannah and Charleston.