• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New level of sales "owner presentation" pushiness, they follow you or show up at your room.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
This is beyond ridiculous for the appointment setters to follow you to your car, put constant notes on your door (or under it), and to call you over and over again, basically until they wear you down.

The best answer is, "I cannot afford what you are selling, and I know about resale, which is pretty close to $0." It's truth. Say it loudly enough for the other people at the "concierge desk" to hear you.

I am looking at what we own and know that our status is valuable but it's not transferrable. At what cost, if I cannot rent to get back even half of our MF's. They have me paranoid to rent even off-season. We can use over half of what we own, but the other 1/3-1/2, I would like to rent out reservations to help offset the cost.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is beyond ridiculous for the appointment setters to follow you to your car, put constant notes on your door (or under it), and to call you over and over again, basically until they wear you down.

The best answer is, "I cannot afford what you are selling, and I know about resale, which is pretty close to $0." It's truth. Say it loudly enough for the other people at the "concierge desk" to hear you.

I am looking at what we own and know that our status is valuable but it's not transferrable. At what cost, if I cannot rent to get back even half of our MF's. They have me paranoid to rent even off-season. We can use over half of what we own, but the other 1/3-1/2, I would like to rent out reservations to help offset the cost.
This is precisely the quandary many folks find themselves in.

LoogieMeister

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the ways they try to convince you is offering something that makes you feel guilty. Wine, beer, gift cards, vouchers to a local tourist spot, ect… The trick is to either never accept anything from them if you don’t have the mental ability to not allow the gift to influence you. It’s a tactic that some people do to manipulate others. I used to work with a person that would wine and dine everyone who they needed something from. It was amazing watching how easily unsuspecting people can be manipulated.

Pro Tip:
Always call the sales people “Indian Givers” if they try use a gift as leverage, then maybe put on a free TS TUG shirt/hat as soon as you receive the gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scottmat28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Timeshares
Based on information found here on the Wyndham forum a few years ago, we put ourselves on the "do not contact, no presentations" list at Wyndham. (I can't remember the actual name for this). Since then we have never been bugged at check-in to do a presentation. Our last trip was to Edisto in April. Is this benefit going away? Can I expect to start getting harassed again?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We are never asked anymore. We were evil mega renters, so they don't want us in a presentation, believe me. The salesperson would get an earful.

We have been punished for our misbehavior, believe me. Big Corporate Wyndham has numerous ways of punishing former mega renters. We are currently dealing with a new issue with our kids being left off of our account, even though they are on our deeds. This is just the latest. I have to add our kids now with guest certificates, and then I am "clearly renting." We have a ticket opened. We will soon see.

Rick would have a lot to say to a Wyndham salesperson that would make him/ her want us out of that presentation ASAP. What was okay in 2007 became tabu in 2020-2021.

If any salesperson talks about renting for a profit or even to pay maintenance fees, that salesperson should be chastized or fired.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a pleasant experience at Canterbury yesterday. I suspect partly because the guy I was talking to was also doing tours. He did try a few of the favorites: glitch in fees that were too high, some new program name that I had to know about, and "we are now a member-driven organization".

I started with noting that I've never been on one, and wanted to keep my streak alive. That wasn't quite enough to get him to give up, so I ended up giving him my hourly consulting rate. He had the poise not to boggle, but did ask what it was I did.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the ways they try to convince you is offering something that makes you feel guilty. Wine, beer, gift cards, vouchers to a local tourist spot, ect… The trick is to either never accept anything from them if you don’t have the mental ability to not allow the gift to influence you. It’s a tactic that some people do to manipulate others. I used to work with a person that would wine and dine everyone who they needed something from. It was amazing watching how easily unsuspecting people can be manipulated.

Pro Tip:
Always call the sales people “Indian Givers” if they try use a gift as leverage, then maybe put on a free TS TUG shirt/hat as soon as you receive the gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Is “Indian givers” still acceptable

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
What happens if they "lie" and give you a gift bag or bottle of wine, and you... don't agree to go to a presentation? Or you say, OK thanks for the gift / perk of my ownership and don't agree to a presentation? And just... you know, don't show up for anything.

I also wondered how any pre-given gift would go if you didn't show up for the presentation even if they put down some time? Obviously you wouldn't get whatever incentive you get after attending, but you also haven't signed any contract like with a VIP trip or whatever - so... I don't think they can really "get back at you". It's not like they could just charge you something if you didn't go and get the gift card or whatever.
Agreed. If they ever charged my credit card I would just refuse the charge and have my credit card company delete it.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Just curious what they do if you start talking to the other guests showing them E*Bay listings on how you can get the timeshare on the resale market? Also how have the vultures reacted when you wore your TUG shirts?

WManning

Reaction score
WM St George. Said no repeatedly, left for my room, about 1 hour later, showed up there with a small gift bag, asking again.

Wynd Flagstaff - upped the offer several time, I still said no, followed me to the parking lot and offered me a bottle of wine too.

Never had this level of persistence before.

Wynd Desert Blue used the lines. "This is your welcome gift you get because of the MF you pay, do you really want to turn down your gift?"

Yeah right. Stop being so pushy Wyndham.
Worst part about checking in. The full court press they hit you with to get the parking pass. Saying no doesn't mean no, not once or 3 dozen times. The countless calls to room are very annoying but the calls to cell phone are outrageous.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
That bottle is actually just water. It turns into wine after you arrive at the update meeting!

ShawnH

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
I hate to say this but it might be worth dropping a $50 dollar bill on the counter with a no. For me it would be totally worth it if they accepted it and didn’t bother me for the duration of my trip.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
I hate to say this but it might be worth dropping a $50 dollar bill on the counter with a no. For me it would be totally worth it if they accepted it and didn’t bother me for the duration of my trip.
What if you dropped a $50 bill and they took it, and then continued to bother you throughout the duration of the trip?

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
Just make sure you never answer your phone while on the trip.

ShawnH

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
What if you dropped a $50 bill and they took it, and then continued to bother you throughout the duration of the trip?
that is a possibility for sure........ which is why i wouldnt do it. But it would be so worth it if it did work.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club
I typically only answer my phone if its a known number, i figure if its a legitimate phone call they will leave a voice mail
Correct. They called me 20 times when I was at Cypress Harbour last December. Didn't answer the phone once on the entire trip.