• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Hyatt Time Share Owner. Did I mess up?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, We are from Carmel, Fog is no problem for us. I was in Carmel this past June for 2 weeks. 1 week was amazing weather, the other was continual fog. Besides the fog, does the rest of the purchase sound good.
If you want to stay in Carmel for a week every June, yes. Unit 316 is Ocean view and the purchase price is good. Lots of fog, but one of the most beautiful places in the world. http://timeshare-resale.com/wp-content/uploads/Highlands-Inn-Site-Map.jpg

If you are merely buying Hyatt points, I will defer to the Hyatt experts as to whether they can be obtained for less or whether other locations have more favorable MF/point ratios.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Abound Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback. I did indeed cancel the purchase.

Here's what I found and currently am in the process of purchasing from Redweek. I'd love your thoughts

Hyatt Carmel Highlands Inn week 23 unit 316 ANNUAL Platinum season week 2,000 points
Use starting with week 23, 2024 or 2,000 points at enrollment
Member Fees $2419
Deeded

Cost $4500

This seems to me now that I understand more, to be a better deal. Whats your thoughts?
If you want to own in Carmel and are OK with the higher MF’s this seems like a good deal to me. Especially if you like where unit 316 is located and want that unit and week each year. A few years ago I helped a friend sell his Platinum season Ocean View unit for $5,000. It was also a June week.

On the other hand, if you are ok playing the internal exchange game and don’t necessarily need a specific unit or time of year, you can buy a lower MF unit at Pinon Pointe or San Antonio. That’s what we ultimately did.

Best regards.

Mike

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
On the other hand, if you are ok playing the internal exchange game and don’t necessarily need a specific unit or time of year, you can buy a lower MF unit at Pinon Pointe or San Antonio. That’s what we ultimately did.

In general, I agree with the "common wisdom" that it is better to own something you don't mind using.

That being said, I have never used my condo. I've never stayed there. I've never traded into it. I don't even think about it. I bought it JUST to trade. And that's all I've ever done with it.

People will get so wrapped up in getting the top floor, nicest view, on a condo they will set foot in maybe once every 10 years. They should instead get the least expensive condo with the least expensive maintenance fee. A point is a point. It doesn't matter if it's a Maui point or a San Antonio point. They all work the same.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Abound Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
In general, I agree with the "common wisdom" that it is better to own something you don't mind using.

That being said, I have never used my condo. I've never stayed there. I've never traded into it. I don't even think about it. I bought it JUST to trade. And that's all I've ever done with it.

People will get so wrapped up in getting the top floor, nicest view, on a condo they will set foot in maybe once every 10 years. They should instead get the least expensive condo with the least expensive maintenance fee. A point is a point. It doesn't matter if it's a Maui point or a San Antonio point. They all work the same.
I understand your point and generally agree. However, we bought specific units and weeks at Pinon Pointe because we do want to stay in the 1BR side each year and enjoy the views in addition to hiking in Sedona. We do use the remaining points for stays at other resorts. It happens that the MF’s are also great, so for us it has worked out very well. One could say “we are having our cake and eating it too.”

Best regard.

Mike

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I understand your point and generally agree. However, we bought specific units and weeks at Pinon Pointe because we do want to stay in the 1BR side each year and enjoy the views in addition to hiking in Sedona.

Sedona is the best bang for the buck in the entire Hyatt system. Furthermore, there aren't going to be any volcanic eruptions, tornadoes, hurricanes or wildfires. It has a low price of entry and low maintenance fees. If I was going to advise someone to buy Hyatt, that's what I would recommend. I've stayed there more than any other Hyatt (although Carmel will soon surpass Sedona). It was an easy, drive-to destination. So we'd burn our leftover points there.

It's a gorgeous area with loads to do -- once the mystic crystal psychic revelations crowd is successfully avoided.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt, Marriott, Holiday Inn and Diamond Resorts Palm Springs
For comparison, we just purchased a Hyatt Vacation Club Points in San Diego at the Welk for $15K, we got 120,000 Portfolio points EOY, and maintenance fee's $624 are EOY too and we got 900K Bonus Points that must be used in 2024. I don't think the Pinon Pointe was a good deal. It is a good thing you cancelled. Consider the Welk, and don't purchase a fixed week only Portfolio Points. We got 900,000 Bonus Award points that have to be used in 2024. We plan to accrue the 120,000 portfolio points and use the 900k points for 2024. Problem is I can't figure out how to move the Bonus Points into II or use the Bonus Points for Hyatt hotels, if that is possible. Anyone know how to use the Bonus Point Award? Additionally, it seems some locations like Santa Fe are nearly impossible to book, any helpful hints?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
For comparison, we just purchased a Hyatt Vacation Club Points in San Diego at the Welk for $15K, we got 120,000 Portfolio points EOY, and maintenance fee's $624 are EOY too and we got 900K Bonus Points that must be used in 2024. I don't think the Pinon Pointe was a good deal. It is a good thing you cancelled. Consider the Welk, and don't purchase a fixed week only Portfolio Points. We got 900,000 Bonus Award points that have to be used in 2024. We plan to accrue the 120,000 portfolio points and use the 900k points for 2024. Problem is I can't figure out how to move the Bonus Points into II or use the Bonus Points for Hyatt hotels, if that is possible. Anyone know how to use the Bonus Point Award? Additionally, it seems some locations like Santa Fe are nearly impossible to book, any helpful hints?
You bought developer, and that is never a good value. These Welk points are free on ebay, given away with free closing and transfer. What you have is a different currency. Hyatt points are different from the Hyatt Vacation Club points. You need to rescind.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt, Marriott, Holiday Inn and Diamond Resorts Palm Springs
You bought developer, and that is never a good value. These Welk points are free on ebay, given away with free closing and transfer. What you have is a different currency. Hyatt points are different from the Hyatt Vacation Club points. You need to rescind.
We purchased in October, so I think it is too late to Rescind. We have not booked anything yet. We own Marriott, Holiday Inn, and a Diamond Resorts in Palm Springs I got for transfer costs only. Is there a way to purchase additional Platinum Points on other sites for cheap?

Guitarmom

Reaction score
We purchased in October, so I think it is too late to Rescind. We have not booked anything yet. We own Marriott, Holiday Inn, and a Diamond Resorts in Palm Springs I got for transfer costs only. Is there a way to purchase additional Platinum Points on other sites for cheap?
I always recommend CalResorts.com. They have very reasonable pricing while keeping prices just high enough to avoid ROFR.

But there's a great big caveat: When you buy more resale points, those points do not just get combined with your existing points. You end up with two contracts, and each contract has a high Maintenance Fee base. In other words, two contracts of 120,000 cost you roughly $700 more each year in Maintenance Fees than a single contract of 240,000 points.

You could risk it. Hyatt Vacation Club might offer you to pay a price to combing the contracts (that's what happened for us). Our you could consider using CalResorts.com to sell your existing contract, then buy the number of points you really want through them. So long as you're under roughly 500,000 Platinum Points, there's no disadvantages to buying resale.