• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Data Suggest the Coronavirus Isn’t as Deadly as We Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
New Data Suggest the Coronavirus Isn’t as Deadly as We Thought
A study finds 50 to 85 times as many infections as known cases—meaning a far lower fatality rate.

......New data support the skeptics’ view—a preliminary study by a Stanford team, released Friday. They conducted a seroprevalence study of Santa Clara County, Calif., on April 3 and 4. They studied a representative sample of 3,300 residents to test for the presence of antibodies in their blood that would show if they had previously been infected with the novel coronavirus.

The researchers found that the percentage of infections was indeed vastly larger than the roughly 1,000 known positive cases in the county at the time of the study. The preliminary results—the research will now undergo peer review—show that between 2.5% and 4.2% of county residents are estimated to have antibodies against the virus. That translates into 48,000 to 81,000 infections, 50 to 85 times as high as the number of known cases.

That may sound scary, but it’s great news. It suggests that the large majority of people who contract Covid-19 recover without ever knowing they were infected, and that the U.S. infection fatality rate may be more than an order of magnitude lower than authorities had assumed. Based on this seroprevalence data, the authors estimate that in Santa Clara County the true infection fatality rate is somewhere in the range of 0.12% to 0.2%—far closer to seasonal influenza than to the original, case-based estimates......

......Yet if policy makers were aware from the outset that the Covid-19 death toll would be closer to that of seasonal flu than the millions of American deaths predicted by early models dependent on inputs that now look inaccurate, would they have risked tens of millions of jobs and livelihoods? The science to support better modeling and decision making is rapidly becoming available. One hopes that it will inform better policy decisions.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I couldn't get in to read the whole article but it looks like it's an opinion piece. And how can someone says it's not as deadly as we thought? How many deaths have there been so far?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I can't and won't argue whether Covid-19 is as severe as flu or not. But I do know it's deadly. This article is about a singing group up this way. At the time of this article, it was bad enough. But at least one additional person who was there has also died. And this is among people who had zero symptoms at the time of their rehearsal. So I guess my point is that it only takes once for it to kill you.

Dave

nomoretslt

Reaction score
The problem is it’s highly contagious and those that walk around not knowing they have it end up infecting the older generation and the weaker....along with a few that don’t have any underlying conditions.

And this didn’t need to happen. Would have been helpful to have accurate and honest information in early January.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I couldn't get in to read the whole article but it looks like it's an opinion piece. And how can someone says it's not as deadly as we thought? How many deaths have there been so far?

It is an opinion piece but it is based on a scientific study at Stanford. I also provided the link for the study. Please don't dismiss science just because someone wrote an opinion piece about it. The article says that they still need to do peer review. If the death rate is lower than previously assumed, this is good news! I hope the study is right.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This article is good news! Why are people so upset about good news?
As I said, I couldn't read the entire article, it's behind a pay wall. I saw at the top where it said "Opinion". Maybe I'm just suspicious of opinion pieces.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know the answer but don’t want to get shouted at in this group

I would be interested to know why people prefer to believe all the bad news about Covid. Please share.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This article is good news! Why are people so upset about good news?

I guess for me, it's because it isn't really that much good news. It's like being a little bit pregnant. If someone is at high risk for catching the virus, and if it could easily prove fatal to them if that happens, whether or not fewer people are going to die from it means little. That anyone will die from it is still bad news - especially for that person. People who have zero symptoms can infect others, and some of those people are going to die from that infection.

Dave

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess for me, it's because it isn't really that much good news. It's like being a little bit pregnant. If someone is at high risk for catching the virus, and if it could easily prove fatal to them if that happens, whether or not fewer people are going to die from it means little. That anyone will die from it is still bad news - especially for that person. People who have zero symptoms can infect others, and some of those people are going to die from that infection.

Dave

I get it. I know there have been many deaths. I just get excited when I read anything that says maybe this is not as bad as projected. It gives me hope.

So maybe the death rate is not as high as previously estimated, but it is still more contagious and might be affecting more people in total than the flu so we might still have a greater absolute death rate even if the percentage is the same. So it is still a scary disease. Also the symptoms are worse than the flu so that is scary too. I get there are many things different about Covid that make it feel more scary and deadly.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I’ll share. The headline is a turnoff, especially when ones own area has been devastated with deaths...over 300 a day for days now. Like no end in sight. This will run its course, and as always there will be some kind of vaccine soon enough. I really don’t want to hear how it’s not so deadly. And opinions based on data....you know what they say about opinions.
But thanks for sharing.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ll share. The headline is a turnoff, especially when ones own area has been devastated with deaths...over 300 a day for days now. Like no end in sight. This will run its course, and as always there will be some kind of vaccine soon enough. I really don’t want to hear how it’s not so deadly. And opinions based on data....you know what they say about opinions.
But thanks for sharing.

Where do you live? In New York? Here is California we have had about 1000 deaths so far and we were a state with early infections. Not good news but not as catastrophic as predicted. 300 deaths a day is a lot!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Even if, ultimately, statistics show its not as bad as feared, there's still a lot of dead people who would not have died otherwise.
Try telling them. Oh, wait... They're dead. Statistics don't help them too much. <jus' saying>

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I read the whole article and the part that I'm happiest about is that there is reference to a study done on a random sample of n=3000 in California for COVID antibodies. This is what we need to do -- randomized sampling for antibody testing.

Ok, I'm waiting for the "but we don't have enough tests to do that" chorus.

Nonetheless, we don't need an entire census to get some really solid numbers to start wrapping people's brains about the true threat, so we can start opening up society again.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even if, ultimately, statistics show its not as bad as feared, there's still a lot of dead people who would not have died otherwise.
Try telling them. Oh, wait... They're dead. Statistics don't help them too much. <jus' saying>

There is a big difference between statistics and science and personal experience. Of course, if this affects someone personally, they do not care about the statistics and science. It is a personal catastrophe. I am not denying that. But should science and research studies stop because the results might make some people feel minimized?

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
NONE of the predictions have been as catastrophic as we thought.

I'll just be happy when people start to realize that Dr. Fauci isn't the burning bush.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
New Jersey, a small state, over 3,800 deaths. We are well over souls lost on 9/11. I am all for opening up America again, as long as people keep their nose and mouth covered, wear gloves and be sanitary. But there will always be those who think the rules should not apply to them.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in the Detroit metro area, 4th worst hot zone period. 60 years young, I was pretty sick with suspected CV-19 late Feb/early march self isolated missed two days off work and stayed far away from my wife who Thank God didnt get sick. SOO no hate/disparaging remarks here please. I find this news Very encouraging and makes common sense that this is/was Way more widespread earlier than anyone thought and that most of us have recovered and built up antibodies. This is good because we hopefully wont get CV-19 again and wont infect loved ones/others and WONT overload the hospitals. Plus those of use who survived this can now get back to/continue working and helping those most vulnerable in society.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
New Jersey, a small state, over 3,800 deaths. We are well over souls lost on 9/11. I am all for opening up America again, as long as people keep their nose and mouth covered, wear gloves and be sanitary. But there will always be those who think the rules should not apply to them.

Which is probably part of the reason for NJ's statistics. And they mis-perceived the existential risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.