• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New credit card fee

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
Received the message that HPP fee is due for 2025. When I went in to pay it now sends you to a different website. That webise indicated that there is now a $25 fee for paying by credit card. The logic is to keep maintenance fees low. I wonder how many people actually pay by cheque? Is this just a way to increase the fees but make it look optional?

As a Canadian paying by cheque is somewhat impractical. I also realized that cheque technology is really on its way out here. I have probably written one cheque in the last year.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Millions of checks are still processed every day. Certainly volume is down but doing eChecks (ACH processing) is quite reliable and cheap. Though I don't see how this would work for cross border transactions. I would think the bank would need to be US based. Perhaps they have a way of drafting a Canadian account? Does the new system even allow you to use a non US based check?

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
The issue is with the payment company...in that when transferring money from Canada, they do not recognize some of the transfer options available to Canadians. You could look into a WISE account, as recommended to me by another tugger who did this, but for me the payment company (the system) would not recognize the account for what ever reason. One other issue, the system posted that it accepted payment even though the payment did not process, "rejected" in a few days.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I write at least 3 checks every month. 2 for my housekeeper who comes every other week as she prefers a check over electronic payments. and 1 for my combined monthly electric/water/trash bill- as the city I live in charges an extra fee to pay online (they only recently started accepting online payments at all). So I write the check and drop it off to save the fee since I drive right by the municipal office building frequently anyway.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC Portfolio
I haven't received anything yet (maybe it's just Canada), but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Seems like every company is passing the fees on instead of factoring them into the cost of doing business. My HOA changed payment providers and an ACH that used to be free now has a $1 fee associated with it. Of course you can mail a check or use bill pay, which mails the check for you to avoid the fee, but it's still annoying.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
This just comes right back to the insanity that companies think it's cheaper to pay someone somewhere to receive a check, risk it bouncing, being forged, all the reasons lots of people STOPPED taking checks, and handle depositing vs an online payment. To then charge extra to have a human involved is even stranger.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I haven't received anything yet (maybe it's just Canada), but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Seems like every company is passing the fees on instead of factoring them into the cost of doing business. My HOA changed payment providers and an ACH that used to be free now has a $1 fee associated with it. Of course you can mail a check or use bill pay, which mails the check for you to avoid the fee, but it's still annoying.
You know, if the government cared about climate change, they'd basically legislate away taking checks by mail. And make it illegal to charge a fee for taking Zelle / ACH / Paypal. I'd actually like them to also just force an end to all fees, just have the "price" advertised or billed be the price you pay!

We need to stop encouraging people to use cash and checks and burning gas and resources to be able to do it.