• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need ii help for dummies

Mbm132

Reaction score
Geeetings!

I honestly thought I had read all the how to’s and understood them but then I went to try to exchange my week for the first time and I’m completely lost.

background: bought gold week on resale market (very happy with it) however next year we will be traveling elsewhere when we normally use the week.

now onto how stupid I feel, marriotts directions say reserve week just like you normally fo. Well when I do that there are options that list ii. And there’s two different ii options. so I haven’t reserved yet. Next I go to ii just to check availability but either I didn’t realize I had to pay for ii (first time using) or in doing this all wrong.

anyone willing to explain this to me at a very basic level? And I’m so sorry for asking like this. I feel like an idiot.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
You can reserve your own week to trade. This is the best way to do it because you can pick a week that is in high demand, which would increase your chances of getting your trade. Then go to II and use the reservation number you received when you want to do a trade.

The II option you noted I think just means you want Marriott to pick a week within your season for you to deposit (in II). I'm not sure what the 2nd II option.

If you bought your week resale, then you cannot enroll your week into Marriott's Destination Program, the way to get a free membership in II, so yes, you'll have to sign up for a paid membership.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
The timeshare game gets confusing. I think you'll get a better answer if you tell us a few things:
  1. what resort you own
  2. what type of unit you own. Is your unit a lock-off? (Lock-off means that you can separate it into two distinct portions, usually a Master unit and a studio, that can be used or deposited to Interval separately.)
  3. what type of unit do you need when you travel. For example, if traveling with family, do you need a 2BR unit, or do you just travel as 2 adults (and a nice 1BR might do).
  4. how flexible can you be about travel dates? For example, if you have kids and are tied to the school schedule so that you need to travel in summer when the kids are out of school, trading is more competitive. But if you can travel in off-season when there's less demand, I find that makes trades easier.
And yes, if you wish to trade through Interval International, you'll need to have an Interval account.

I always encourage newbies to join TUG. You're going to start running into fees here and there (fees for an Interval account, fees if you want to lock-off your unit, fees for trading via Interval, fees if you choose ePlus from Interval). TUG membership is the cheapest thing in the timeshare game and pays large dividends - it's how I learned how to maximize use of our timeshare ownerships. There's tons of useful information here if you're willing to put in the time, search, and read a bit.

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Start here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the options you are referring to are;

Exchange - Marriott Deposit
Exchange - Owner Deposit

If so, you want to pick Owner Deposit. This way you still get to make a reservation for the dates you want. They then give you a reservation number that you take to the II website and deposit. The Marriott Deposit option just has Marriott depositing whatever they want.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think the options you are referring to are;

Exchange - Marriott Deposit
Exchange - Owner Deposit

If so, you want to pick Owner Deposit. This way you still get to make a reservation for the dates you want. They then give you a reservation number that you take to the II website and deposit. The Marriott Deposit option just has Marriott depositing whatever they want.
Or you can just make a reservation as though you were going to use it yourself. Get the reservation number and then make the deposit yourself. You don't have to indicate to Marriott that you intend to deposit the unit.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Or you can just make a reservation as though you were going to use it yourself. Get the reservation number and then make the deposit yourself. You don't have to indicate to Marriott that you intend to deposit the unit.
That is correct. But I always just use the "Exchange - Owner Deposit" option. Depositing to II is what that option is intended for. I beleive it assigns a different confirmation number to the reservation than if you were to select "Occupy". I beleive if you select "Occupy" and then deposit, they end up cancelling the original confirmed reservation and/or assign it a new confirmation number. This is why years ago people would receive reservation cancellation emails when depositing reservations into II. That cancellation email longer happens today, but I still beleive the process still occurs behind the scenes. Not sure it really matters, but if I know up front that I am going to deposit I select the "Exchange" option. They made that option possible for a reason, likely to make their process easier.

Mbm132

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the responses!! I really do appreciate them. I'm going to reserve using Exchange - Owner Deposit and then see what I can get in II. Unfortunately, when I tried to sign up for II they said there was already an account with my information so I have to call them tomorrow to figure that out. Thank you again!