• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help finding a thread about what to do/where to eat during Ocean Pointe stay

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
My searching yielding here not much.

We know there are tons of great restaurants but we don't want to break the bank; great food is key, prefer authentic not hokey atmosphere. Also we like to bike or kayak, what's available? Love history, art, nature, old beautiful neighborhoods, so what should we NOT miss?

TIA!

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eat at Capt Charlie's Reef Grill, kayak in MacArthur State Park, go to the Norton Museum and the Flagler Museum and bike on the Lake Trail in Palm Beach. Spend some time on the beach. Eat at least one greasy patty melt at the Tiki Bar and say hello to Rick while you're there.

That should at least get you started.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also try Johnny Longboat (try grouper in a bag) and Happy Fish (Thai restaurant) near Ocean Pointe.
I liked Buongiorno Italian restaurant and Bonefish Grill too.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We like to plan a grocery stop to Whole Foods around a bite of lunch from their hot bar. You get to select how big the portion will be and have a variety of choices. Two of us eat for the price of one at a restaurant.

Think about taking the water taxi to Peanut Island one day near time of low tide. Fun to walk way out on the sand bar. Take a picnic and snorkels.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We tried Two Drunken Goats (in the Ocean Mall close to Johnny Longboats) and I really enjoyed it. At least enough to eat there twice during the week. We drove up to Jupiter for a meal on the deck at Jetty's, which has always been good. We also take in breakfast at least once during our stay over at the Sailfish Marina.

I wasn't so happy with the breakfast I was served at the NY Deli. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth the walk or the $ vs eating breakfast in the timeshare unit. I did enjoy sitting on their patio and I like taking a morning walk but, next time I think it will just be for coffee and a bagel. Their coffee was really good IMO and it can be an inexpensive breakfast within walking distance. Next trip I'll combine a morning walk with coffee and bagel with a shopping excursion to the Wings discount beach store, which is a few steps north of NY Bagel in the Oceans Mall.

Last edited:

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome information, thanks everyone! We're at the Palm Garden Marriott for our first night and the front desk clerk said everyone is raving about the Reef Grill! We ate last night at Sal's Italian Restaurant last night in the shopping center near here and it was really good and reasonable $. Their garlic rolls are like sticky buns with garlic instead of sugar; never had anything like this!

Off to our free breakfast downstairs since the concierge lounge is closed for the weekend! Love Marriotts!

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Carmine's La Trattoria for italian, seafood, and a great filet (and I live in Kansas and seldom eat steak in FL). We also usually shop in their market for carryout.

The restaurant in your hotel is supposed to be good, but we didn't try it on our last visit. It was excellent when it was Solu 2 yr. ago.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do a search on TUG for Carmines (very good restaurant and take home counter) and you should find a treasure trove of suggestions for Ocean Pointe. Funtime

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Try rocco's tacos and tequila bar in west palm beach and havana's on forest hill and Dixie highway

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a small bistro on the corner of PGA and US 1 (on the right as you head East and cross 1) called Paris in Town. For years I wanted to try it and after 10 years we finally went in. It is well attended by locals so try not to go right at peak breakfast or lunch. We like it for a brunch.

Did anyone else mention Pelican Cafe yet? It's one of our new favorites. http://www.thepelicancafe.com/breakfast.html Again, it's popular so try to go before the rush. We take a very long walk from OP, across the bridge, past the marina, through the park to get there and then sit outside. The owner is very friendly.

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out my trip report on Ocean Point I did in the Spring 2011. I mentioned several restaurants that we ate at on that trip.

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at Ocean Pointe now. I believe we talked a few years ago....I'm from Butler as well. Small world!!! If you'd like to get together, let me know!:wave:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane,

This morning I rushed to write you a couple more tips for your trip but I must have goofed submitting my post because it's no where to be found. You've gotten a lot of responses--how many weeks are you staying at OP? ;)

I've remembered another place you and your friends may find interesting. It's Hamburger Heaven in Palm Beach. The first time I went it was with 7 girlfriends who came down to OP for a visit. We stumbled on it and ate at the counter. The next time I went with a friend and I had the soup that was made from the leftovers of their Thursday "Thanksgiving" special. Yum. The last time was not as special. Except for watching the woman out front having difficulty parking her Rolls. This place is a favorite of the locals. After eating you can walk the neighborhood.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We checked in yesterday and we're here for a week. I am headed out to the Ritz Carlton for a pedicure and site seeing then to the pool or beach to do nothing. I got up at 7 and worked on a report which isn't so bad when you watch the boats go by from Kingfish building! We're on the third floor at the back but the views are great! Saw a huge cruise ship set out last night. Our friends love it! Unlike another thread going on, our guests are appreciative and easy to get along with.

Ricci, I'll PM you.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diane,

Do you like to walk or ride bikes? There is The Lake Trail which has recently been the topic of some chatter on our OP owner's newsgroup. Here's a couple of the responses from our owners:

"The Lake Trail is a walking, biking, running and roller skating paved walkway
that runs from apprx. the Palm Beach Marina north to the inlet next to Kingfish.
I runs all along the west side of Palm Beach island between the mansions and the
Intra-coastal (ie Lake Worth). It is a long and interesting walk or ride
(bicycle rentals nearby....check with the concierge here at OP for detail on
that.)"

"According to a site I checked The Lake Trail is 5 miles long."

"ake US 1 south to 25th Street - turn left and then right onto Dixie Hwy
Turn left at Palm Beach Lakes Blvd and right on Olive Avenue
At the light (Quadrille) turn left and cross the bridge
At the first light turn left
The first street is Sunset -- if you turn left you can enter the refurbished
Publix
if you turn right you park if possible and at the end of the street is a short
path that leads to the trail
if there is no parking space then you could use the Publix lot which is quite
large
the walk is somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 miles -- a rough estimateÂ

on the way back the quickest and more picturesque route is to get off the bridge
using the ramp right
you end up on Flagler -Â travel north and take a left whenever suits you to
Dixie - turn right and then left at 24th or 25th -- right at Broadway and
north to Blue HeronÂ
if you go further on Flagler a right turn will bring you to BroadwayÂ"

So good to hear your friends are enjoying the trip. We've vacationed with friends many times and it's so much fun if you give everyone the opportunity to have their own space when they need it. We always tell our guests they're free to come and go as they wish.

Have you walked the Blue Heron bridge yet? It's a beautiful view from the top.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
Diane

For nice older neighborhoods you should check out the area in West Palm just south of Okeechobee Blvd along Olive ave.towards Flagler drive. Can't think of the name but some very nice older homes. Maybe El Cid? You can also take Olive north to Clemantis street.
Also check out downtown Lake Worth and the Arts district in downtown Delray Beach. Lots of nice local resturants and shops also. From Delray you can drive back along A1A, very nice, esp if you have a convertible.
If you don't mind driving, Coral gables and Coconut Grove in Miami are also very interesting, but that's more of a day trip from WPB.
Enjoy, I wish I was back ndown there.:D

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
John, how long does it take to get to Delray Beach from OP?

Can you pls give me very detailed directions? Prefer to avoid major highways, if possible, even if it takes longer.

Diane;
Welcome to Ocean Pointe! ((H))
How's the weather?

Last edited:

Vacation1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am at Ocean Point now - beautiful day - was here last Oct/Nov - ate at Cool"a Fish Bar in Palm Beach Gardens - it was great - we're going back this week - if you're a Marriott owner - got get a VIP card at owner services and you get a 10% discount on all appetizers abd dinners.

Vacation1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Can you pls give me very detailed directions? Prefer to avoid major highways, if possible, even if it takes longer.

Diane;
How's the weather?

Takes about thirty minutes to get to Delray Beach - lot's of nice restaurants and shops on Atlantic Ave - we usually park at the Marriot on the ocean and then walk up and down Atlantic Ave - as for directions - we usually take 95 but I think you could take US1 or Congress - then head over to Palm Beach and take A1A south - Jont is right about it being a nice drive.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/

Diane;
How's the weather?
Smooth Air
I usually take I-95 and it takes about abound 30 minutes. The best way other I-95 is to take A1A south to Atlantic ave and make a right. You can pick up A1A south in Palm Beach off Okeechobee Blvd. I'm not sure of any way to get to Okeechobee Blvd except I-95. Maybe someone at the resort knows an alternate route. Head east on Oceechobee past City Place and cross over the intracostal at Royal Park Bridge and head east to S.County road (A1A) and make a right heading south. Just follow the signs and keep on A1A south into Delray Beach,about 18 miles,and Atlantic beach(there's a Marriott Hotel on that corner). Atlantic Ave is the main street thru Delray and the main section of downtown is west of the intracostal. It should take about 45 min. but A1A is a very nice drive. Good luck.;)

All this talk about Florida and the warm weather is killing me! At least it's sunny and a nippy 40 degrees in North Jersey. Could be a lot worst.

Last edited:

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, John.
I think that I may be able to take Australian or Congress from Blue Heron ( turn left, south, onto Congress or Australian) to get to A1A. Then from Australian or Congress to Okeechobee to A1A south to Delray Beach. I think the other street I am thinking about is Australian. It's East of Congress. I took it once to get to Blue Heron when a major part of Congress was closed due to construction a few years ago.

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bob, where might one find your trip report? Thanks!

Diane,
At the top of the page is a link to the TUG Resort Databases, where you can see all reviews/ratings of various resorts. Go to the Florida East Coast section and to Marriott Ocean Point and then to Reviews. Mine was in April 2011 and is currently at the bottom of the first page, continuing on the second page.

I can copy and paste if you can't find it.