• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NCL's Norwegian Sun

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're booked on the "Sun".

Does anyone know if the following dining rooms have a dress-code (Jacket, Ties, etc. for men)
  • Le Bistro French Restaurant
  • East Meets West Steakhouse
  • Ginza Japanese Restaurant
  • Il Adagio Restaurant

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No dress code that requires suits, tuxes or sport coats. There are optional formal nights, but they really are optional. If you prefer to dress in nice slacks and a collared shirt, you are free to do so.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote from NCL's website that describes what the cruise line calls "Freestyle Dining":
Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, now worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.
Even dressing up for a fancy restaurant is optional.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
No worries

Even "dress up or not" night is surprisingly casual. We were on NCL's Pearl in August. The daily newsletter will let you know what is what. There are some restaurants onboard that on a given evening will not permit jeans, shorts, etc.
Do as Mimi39 suggested and go to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum on CruiseCritic. I think that there may be some very interesting threads about the dress code-were you planning on wearing flip-flops:D ?

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dress on the Ship

Even "dress up or not" night is surprisingly casual. We were on NCL's Pearl in August. The daily newsletter will let you know what is what. There are some restaurants onboard that on a given evening will not permit jeans, shorts, etc.
Do as Mimi39 suggested and go to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum on CruiseCritic. I think that there may be some very interesting threads about the dress code-were you planning on wearing flip-flops:D ?

When you were on the "Pearl", did you see a wide variety of dress at the restaurants?

Would you say that 50% of the passengers dressed a certain way?

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
A LARGE Thank You to:
  • Mimi39
  • beejaybeeohio
  • london
  • Dave
beejaybeeohio:
LOL... No flip-flops !:)
But at the very most, when "necessary"
I plan to dress in collared (golf) shirt, slacks and a sports jacket.
I'll sneak a dress shirt and tie in my suitcase... "Just in case" :banana:

Mimi39:
Let the Good Times Roll !!!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on the Pearl last April on an AL cruise. Promise you, it was very casual. To my recall, none of the guys wore ties and jackets, and the gals were just wearing slacks and a nice top of some sort. On the 'photograhy' night, some were all dressed to the nines. But 90% of the cruise were very casual. Trust me.

Some people probably wish the rest of us casual folks would dress up, as some cruise lines push that, but seriously, most of us want to go on vacation and just let our hair down. And isn't that what 'freestyle' cruising is all about?

We used to 'sorta' dress up on the old NCL cruises with seated, prearranged seating, but it was a joke. Though we do have some very nice, professional photos of us as a couple on the cruise, which we would have had to pay booka bucks to have done here. And, remember, it is the memories that will last.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on the Pearl last April on an AL cruise. Promise you, it was very casual. To my recall, none of the guys wore ties and jackets, and the gals were just wearing slacks and a nice top of some sort. On the 'photograhy' night, some were all dressed to the nines. But 90% of the cruise were very casual. Trust me.....

Hi Muranoho :hi:

What's an "AL" cruise ???

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went on an NCL cruise out of NYC last April--I think it was the NCL Dawn? It was very, very casual. Shorts, jeans, flip-flops...sports shirts and khakis on the men who were really dressing up.

BTW, we did go to the French restaurant, which was good, and the Chinese Asian one (the Japanese Asian one is in the same place, but a separate cover fee). The French one was good, but the Chinese one was dreadful. My MIL had been on an NCL cruise on another ship and said the Chinese one had been vastly better on that one.

Also, on the first few nights of the cruise, they offered two-for-one cover fees on the premium restaurants after 9:00. So if you can eat late, you might want to consider that to save a little money. They stop offering that special after about three days.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
what type cabin did you get?

We were on the Sun for an Hawaiian cruise and we found out if you had a balcony level 10 & above cabin, you were afforded preferential boarding treatment. You may want to get some info about that. We bypassed long lines. Nobody had informed us about this wonderful little piece of information.

There is a webpage someone has dedicated to NCL horror stories. I am glad we found out about it AFTER returning from our cruise. It was splendid. I guess it is like timesharing---2 couples go to the same timeshare resort the same week with the following results---one loved it and the other hated it. If you go with the flow and are adventurous, you will love NCL as we did.

Bon voyage...:wave:

frenchieinme :hi:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Boarding in NYC, even non-preferential, wasn't bad. It was crowded, but they were very well organized and the lines moved quickly and smoothly. If you have an older or handicapped person with you, you may want to ask for help when you enter or ask for help in boarding before you go. We went with my 85yo MIL and it was a struggle to find a seat for her in the waiting-to-board area. A nice man gave her his seat.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went on an NCL cruise out of NYC last April--I think it was the NCL Dawn? It was very, very casual. Shorts, jeans, flip-flops...sports shirts and khakis on the men who were really dressing up.......
Also, on the first few nights of the cruise, they offered two-for-one cover fees on the premium restaurants after 9:00. So if you can eat late, you might want to consider that to save a little money. They stop offering that special after about three days.

That's nice to hear about the casualness :)
In my working life, ties and jacket were worn every day.
I HATED it !!!
From my observation, blue-collar workers were the ones who enjoyed dressing-up for dinner.

We're planning to use the 2-for-1 coupon at Le Bistro or the "Fusion" Steak restaurants.
Thanks for the heads-up about "After 9" !!!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on the Sun for an Hawaiian cruise and we found out if you had a balcony level 10 & above cabin, you were afforded preferential boarding treatment. You may want to get some info about that. We bypassed long lines. Nobody had informed us about this wonderful little piece of information.......
There is a webpage someone has dedicated to NCL horror stories. I am glad we found out about it AFTER returning from our cruise. It was splendid. I guess it is like timesharing---2 couples go to the same timeshare resort the same week with the following results---one loved it and the other hated it. If you go with the flow and are adventurous, you will love NCL as we did.:

We're in cabin 0027 (balcony) :banana:
I believe it's on the 10th deck.

We're traveled quite a bit and learned to be flexible and adventurous.
So... Unless something disastrous happens... we'll be happy as clams.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Maybe yes, maybe no

That's nice to hear about the casualness :)
From my observation, blue-collar workers were the ones who enjoyed dressing-up for dinner.

Since we were part of a group of 23 that included factory workers, a nurse, a psychologist, a retired IBM exec, a young appliance salesperson, a couple of social workers, a mechanic, a school bus driver-you get my drift.. I disagree with your generalization!

People who enjoy dressing up, enjoy dressing up regardless of social class. There were those in our group who dressed up for dress up or not nite and those who didn't, but who wore what had nothing to do with holding a blue, white or pink collar job!

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generalizations

Since we were part of a group of 23 that included factory workers, a nurse, a psychologist, a retired IBM exec, a young appliance salesperson, a couple of social workers, a mechanic, a school bus driver-you get my drift.. I disagree with your generalization!

People who enjoy dressing up, enjoy dressing up regardless of social class. There were those in our group who dressed up for dress up or not nite and those who didn't, but who wore what had nothing to do with holding a blue, white or pink collar job!

It is interesting to note how people do make generalizations about other people, in a variety of settings.

One of Jimmy Buffet's songs is titled "we are the people our parents warned us about"

Dress codes for cruises were much different 20-30 years ago.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Muranoho :hi:

What's an "AL" cruise ???

Hey, Doug!
AL to me means Alaska, ha ha.
I think it was a quasi 'Virgin' trip for the boat then, back in April '07 I think. Wear what you want and maybe throw in a nice jacket or whatever in case you want photos.

BTW, what's with the seats in their theatre...can't remember the name of it, but I've either gotten very heavy :bawl: or they make them for size 1. Very uncomfortable...but my only complaint.

Have a great time...we've done 3 NCL cruises and liked them all. Always had the cheapie rooms.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deck # 10? Us too...

We're in cabin 0027 (balcony) :banana:
I believe it's on the 10th deck.

We're traveled quite a bit and learned to be flexible and adventurous.
So... Unless something disastrous happens... we'll be happy as clams.

We had a deck 10 balcony cabin also. Ours was in the center of the ship close to the elevators over the galley. They put the galley & elevators where there is the least amount of percepatable rocking, yes?

Deck 10 balcont cabins (we had 15 of them) qualified us fo rapid check-in. You may want to find out if they still do that. What's the worse they can say---NO?

Bon voyage...:wave:

frenchieinme :hi:

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Muranojo & Frenchieinme:
Thanks for your helpful replies :cheer:

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
the only time you might want to dress up more is for the captain's party. not for the dinner, but for the reception, where they take pictures of you and the captain. (if you wanted to buy the expensive picture) -ken

Thanks for the tip Ken.

My wife is more into "pictures" than I am.
Personally, I'd just as soon pass.

Neither of us are photogenic so we come out looking like idiots.

Bruce W

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boarding in NYC, even non-preferential, wasn't bad. It was crowded, but they were very well organized and the lines moved quickly and smoothly. If you have an older or handicapped person with you, you may want to ask for help when you enter or ask for help in boarding before you go. We went with my 85yo MIL and it was a struggle to find a seat for her in the waiting-to-board area. A nice man gave her his seat.

When you returned to NYC, how was the disembarking? We went on that cruise a few years ago, and it was a nightmare. Hundreds of people waiting for cabs, and they came about 15 minutes apart. Wound up lugging all our bags back into the terminal, and luckily, a limo driver asked us if we wanted a ride to NJ. Of course we took him up on it. I think there were 3 boats in at the same time, and the NCL pier was the 3rd one down.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have a very photogenic picture of you and Didi with Jerry in my screensaver rotation. :) Remember when it was taken? You are about due for another visit, aren't you?

Fern

Thanks for the tip Ken.

My wife is more into "pictures" than I am.
Personally, I'd just as soon pass.

Neither of us are photogenic so we come out looking like idiots.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a very photogenic picture of you and Didi with Jerry in my screensaver rotation. :) Remember when it was taken? You are about due for another visit, aren't you? Fern

Greetings former Contra Costa'ian :wave:

If I was in the photo, it wasn't photogenic :(
Or... do I really look that bad ? :eek:

When... Hmmmm,
circa 2005 ???