• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My dog and I were attacked by a Pitbull...

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
A worker left the gate open. The owner is very apologetic, visibly upset, willingly paying all Vet bills. Sounds like the owner of Pit is a responsible owner. Most dogs that get loose and run towards another dog or human don't come with the intention of biting. There are a lot of bad Dog owners, this doesn't sound like one of them. Too many stories of Pits killing and maiming people to be 100% the owners fault all the time. I think there's something inherently aggressive with this breed. JMO
PS - I'm glad Muffin is doing well.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I suppose its all in what you want to believe and or read in the papers or news. Pitbulls and other similar breeds arent going to get publicity in any situation that doesnt involve blood or attacks...so youll only hear about the .00000001% of the breed that is bad...and never about the vast majority that are loving and gentle pets.

I have no doubt my new pup would tear that pitbull to pieces had i encountered a similar scenario so in that respect...wouldnt it be far more dangerous of an animal?

However given its upbringing and training...there is zero chance it would ever just go attack another dog or person even if it were wandering outside off leash.

perhaps she took him in as a rescue dog and has no idea of his history or agressive behavior...as he/she sounds like they are willing ot make things right in the situation and realize that their dog shouldnt be outside off a leash under any circumstances.

I seriously doubt the dog was raised by a loving normal family as a pet and suddenly just snapped and decided to attack one day.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I too am very sorry for your pet's injuries and glad to hear that it sounds like a full recovery will happen.

As the owner of pound puppy adopted from the local humane society, pit bull issues hit very close to home for me. Heidi was labeled a "pit bull mix" by the shelter and from that point forward, potentially faced bias and we as owners faced other issues like obtaining home owners insurance. The fact is, the shelter wasn't sure and she looks more like a vizsla mix than any other breed, particularly a pit. She would no more growl or snap at a person or other animal than I would. OK - I am more likely to!

Brian is correct that it is 100% the owners and how the animal is raised and treated. I am very sorry that something bad happened to your little dog and again, really hope that you both recover from the trauma.

Von & Miss Heidi

87160239.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It ends up, she goes to the same Vet and had already called and arranged to pay the bill...she was very apologetic and seemed as upset as I was if that makes things better.

After the fact, as my adreiline wore off, I realized I was hurting, no bite but I pulled a muscle in my thigh, probably from running and spinning around to get away. I was told at the Animal Hospital that since I was not bit, only the dog, and we know the dog doesn't have rabies, there is not much Animal Control will do. I will follow up with them this week.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts....:D

PLEASE report this to the police. The owner's feelings and response do not change the fact that they have a dangerous dog. If it got out once, it could get out again. What if it is a child next time, and you don't report it? You could prevent a tragedy.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know just as many pitbulls who are loving pets...as those reported to be monsters in the news.

Pitbulls and other similar breeds arent going to get publicity in any situation that doesnt involve blood or attacks...so youll only hear about the .00000001% of the breed that is bad...and never about the vast majority that are loving and gentle pets.

Wow! 00000001% is a small number. Can't buy that.

However given its upbringing and training...there is zero chance it would ever just go attack another dog or person even if it were wandering outside off leash.

ZERO chance? Personally I never trust a dog owner that uses terms like that. Reminds me of the owner that stated "my dog would never bite anyone" just before the neighbor kid runs away crying & bleeding with a bite wound.

I say "you never know for sure"... JMHO

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with flyerbobcat. No such thing as Zero chance with any breed. Even though Dogs are domesticated, they're still animals. I have a 75lb English Bulldog that lots of kids pet. He is the gentlest dog in the world but I understand how strong he is and how strong his jaws are. I always keep an eye on him when he's around kids and other dogs. You just never know.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I know the breeder, I know how he was trained, and ive gotten comfortable enough where he can walk with me off leash wherever we go.

This sort of obedience training is quite impressive.

If I thought he were a danger to other animals and or people, I wouldnt own him much less take him outside.

What I do worry about is some OTHER owners dog (like the situation above)...where you cannot control what happens once the other dog attacks.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
zero, zip, none, id bet anything on it. (as for the term zero, I also cant prove with 100% accuracy that the sun wont turn into a bran muffin on tuesday...but id still bet on it as a sure thing)

again, we are talking about MY dog...leaving my side and going to attack something or someone without warning or command or taunting. (as appeared to be the case in the story above)

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Over the last 4.5 billion years, there has been no documentation or proof that the Sun has ever turned into a Bran Muffin. So, I'm going out on a limb, and would also be willing to bet, that on Tuesday, the sun will not turn into a Bran Muffin... er where were we?

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
PLEASE report this to the police. The owner's feelings and response do not change the fact that they have a dangerous dog. If it got out once, it could get out again. What if it is a child next time, and you don't report it? You could prevent a tragedy.

It is hard to prevent another person accidentally leaving the gate open. This dog attacked your dog with no provocation. What if a young child walks by with his/her dog? The odds are that child may get seriously injured as well. This pitbull either needs additional training or need to stay leashed/indoors if training will not help. But you are the only one who can take some action to ensure the owners know how serious this it. You don't need to press charges if you don't want to, but at least make sure the police is aware of this incident and maybe they'll say something to the owners to make them take additional action (in area of training or restraint).

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ontario has a pit bull ban which took effect Oct 2005.

Pit bulls which were owned at the time of the ban are "grandfathered" and must be muzzled and leashed when out in public.

There are several court cases pending, where dogs have been seized, simply because they are pit bulls, and are on death row pending the outcome of their court cases.

There are rescue groups taking pit bulls out of the province to avoid euthanasia.

I don't agree with this ban. Most pit bulls aren't aggressive, and those that are, probably have their owners to blame - at least for not restraining them, if they are aggressive.

Malibu Sky:
I'm very sorry that this happened to you and glad to hear that both you and your dog are ok.

Last edited:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you should report this. If the animal control people deem the dog safe - then fine. BUT - there will be a record of what happened. This puts the owner on notice (They will KNOW they have to be more careful) and help animal control if something occurs again.

I am glad they paid the vet bills or I would have told you to call Judge Judy. She loves those cases.

Glad everyone is okay! Keep us up to date!

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you should report this. If the animal control people deem the dog safe - then fine. BUT - there will be a record of what happened. This puts the owner on notice (They will KNOW they have to be more careful) and help animal control if something occurs again.

This is absolutely right. We had a dog in the neighborhood that attacked another dog. The owner of the attacking dog was very apologetic, paid the vet bills, begged the owner of the victim dog not to report the incident. She didn't. A few months later, the attacking dog went for another dog and KILLED him.

The police came, animal control came, and they all said that IF they had had another reported incident, they could have done something about the dog. It turned out there were two other previous incidents that had also not been reported because the owner of the vicious dog had paid their vet bills, too.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Please do report this to Animal Shelter. The ordinances are there to keep responsible owners responsible and irresponsible owners liable. If it is his first strike (whether it is animal or human it doesn't matter) then it is at least documented. Is the dog licensed? The Animal Shelter can also, if it determines necessary, place the dog on a potentially dangerous list causing the owners to carry an extra insurance to cover any costs if an event were to happen. If nothing ever happens great but if something does happen the next person will need your documentation filed to make their case. When my son was bit I was very thankfull that others had documented the problems in the past. Had the dog bit my youngest son at the time he would have died as it was he came very close to puncturing my older son's lung.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a licensed health professional, I am required by law to report any suspected abuse or neglect of a child, no matter how nice or caring the parents seem to be. It is not my responsibility to determined if it happened, just to report it. I believe it is your responsibility to report this incident to the police and let them determine if any further steps should be taken. In both cases, it goes on record should any further incidents occur.

I know you are relieved that your dog is ok, and so am I. They are our babies forever.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear many many owners say their dog would never attack, they just don't have the temperment.

When I was younger I was in at Lake Shasta walking on a trail by the lake. A large dog was swimming in the lake. He saw me, swam to shore, ran up the hill and took a chunk of flesh out of my arm, while his family watched him from the lake. I still have the emotional scars from the dog that "wouldn't bite anyone."

Report the dog attack. That way the dog that won't attack anyone will be record for the next attack.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I hear many many owners say their dog would never attack, they just don't have the temperment.

When I was younger I was in at Lake Shasta walking on a trail by the lake. A large dog was swimming in the lake. He saw me, swam to shore, ran up the hill and took a chunk of flesh out of my arm, while his family watched him from the lake. I still have the emotional scars from the dog that "wouldn't bite anyone."

Report the dog attack. That way the dog that won't attack anyone will be record for the next attack.

And you know that dog had never bitten anyone . . . or that its owners thought "it wouldn't bite anyone" how???

While its unfortunate that you had that experience and still have emotional scars from it, based on what you say, that dog had issues. To be distracted from it was doing and to make that direct an effort to come to attack you, is not typically of a family pet that has been socialized and properly trained to be around others.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Responsible owner or not, this is a dangerous breed when they're willing to attack. This dog has shown that it's willing to attack. What happens if the dog attacks a child next time it gets out? I wonder how that would play in the papers. Dog that attacks had previous history of attacking but wasn't reported. I know I'd feel awful telling the news media I didn't report the attack because the owner appeared responsible.

So it's 0.00000001% of this breed that's bad. This dog went from 0.0000001% to 100% in that moment that it attacked you and your dog. Pit bull's as a breed might not be dangerous but, this dog, regardless of the breed, is dangerous. It's a large powerful dog and it's willing to attack. Something has to be done.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh I dont disagree with reporting the incident, the dog obviously has a tendancy to be aggressive, why chance it with someone else.

What I dont agree with, is labeling every dog of that breed a potential killer.

I think the pit and other large breeds get the bad rep from the fact that they CAN do so much damage if they are raised by bad owners.

I mean, what if all shi tzus or mini datschunds were menacing vicious attack dogs....who would care? what are they going to attack your shoelaces? =D

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
This web site specifically states that it is there to raise awareness about Pit Bills being dangerous. It cannot be considered unbiased.

My homeowners insurance specifically asks if I own any pit bulls. I have known some wonderfully gentle pit bulls, but with so many other dogs available to adopt, I will take another breed. A number of years ago, the media hype was about German Shepards being aggressive dogs who will bite unprovoked. Now the focus is on pit bulls. My brother, as a child, was savagely attacked by the neighbor's collie without provocation. Collies are thought to be excellent dogs to be around kids.

All dogs, of any breed, need to be watched around children.

scooooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thank goodness you and your dog are both going to be ok. I can imagine how frightening that attack must have been.

I am with the others on here who are encouraging you to report this dog. Honestly, it doesn't make a darn bit of difference if this was a pitbull, a lab or a poodle! The dog exhibited very dangerous behavior and, given the aggressiveness, I would be surprised if this were the first time that this has happened. The next time it could be a child or an elderly person who does not have the ability to fight it off. You were lucky those girls came along - but what if they hadn't? What if you had been too scared to pick up your dog - do you think she would still be alive?

I take things like this very seriously. This dog needs to be reported, regardless of the breed. I hope you will consider reporting it.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This website is not dedicated to Pitbulls. The website is about dog bite victims and dangerous breeds. The Pitbull is one of the four most dangerous breeds as per this website(and per many other websites). What they say about Pitbulls, to me, makes sense. They had statistics and studies backing most of their claims. Could they be making all of this up because of their dislike for this breed? I guess anything's possible.

Present

Reaction score
Oh I dont disagree with reporting the incident, the dog obviously has a tendancy to be aggressive, why chance it with someone else.

What I dont agree with, is labeling every dog of that breed a potential killer.

I think the pit and other large breeds get the bad rep from the fact that they CAN do so much damage if they are raised by bad owners.

I mean, what if all shi tzus or mini datschunds were menacing vicious attack dogs....who would care? what are they going to attack your shoelaces? =D

At least 2/3 of the time that I read or hear about a vicious pitbull dog attack and see a picture of the dog...it's not a pit. Sometimes it looks like a giant poodle or a lab to me, but that doesn't sound as dramatic on tv or in the newspaper.

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY contact the authorities in regards to this attack... today is was your dog,tomorrow it could be a child.
good thoughts and prayers for you and your fur baby

ABSOLUTELY! You and your dog are very lucky. This should be reported.

Beverley:cool: