• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My dog and I were attacked by a Pitbull...

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is directly from their site

About us ::
DogsBite.org is a public education website about dangerous dogs -- specifically pit bull type dogs.1 The "pit bull problem" is over 20 years old.

We advocate:
Pit bull ban
A breed ban is the most proactive policy that can be undertaken regarding the pit bull problem. A ban saves the most human lives by preventing attacks before they occur. By criminalizing pit bull breeding, a ban saves countless pit bulls from systematic euthanization and dramatically reduces the number used for dogfighting.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I'm so glad you and your dog will be ok. However, please report it so hopefully there won't be a next time. I certainly understand your hesitancy, esp. since the owner was so nice- BUT what will prevent another accident from happening? We all have workers who accidentally leave gates open, etc. If a dangerous animal- and yes, it is willing to attack and should be considered a dangerous animal- is going to be left unattended it must be locked in a secure environment, not one with a gate that can accidentally be left open.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.... please report it so hopefully there won't be a next time....

I agree... It's really the only thing to do to "try" to eliminate the chance of it happening again.

Malibu Sky: Please provide a follow-up in the next few days, if possible.

geekette

Reaction score
I don't believe in breed bans. I do believe in responsible breeding. I think that many mean/aggressive dogs are a result of backyard breeding. I also think that leaving a dog chained outside regularly can lead to aggression for any breed.

Responsible breeders screen the would-be parents for defects, etc., that could be passed along. If a person buys "a defective dog" (sorry, can't think of diplomatic phrase), even an owner with the best intentions may never be able to overcome *faulty wiring*. Inbreeding is common with those breeding to make bucks.

Encouraging a dog to be aggressive is one of those things that I consider a slippery slope. Does an aggressive dog remain loyal to his owner? I don't know, I would not bet my life on it.

Responsible ownership is of course mandatory for all pet owners, regardless of breed and/or temperament.

My sweet, submissive border collie had a behavior that I call "jumpey biteys" where she would be in a super-excited state and jump at me and bite me. Not the least bit like her normal nature! She never did it to anyone but me, and I consulted animal behaviorists on it to try to fix the problem. How could I be sure she wouldn't do it to someone else?

I will never be certain that behavior is gone, but I have learned what I can do to prevent that super-excited state that precedes the undesired behavior. It has not occurred in many years but I think the potential will always be there. So, I let her play, have fun, but when I see her getting overstimulated, we take a time out. If she can't practice the jumpey-biteys, there is less chance of them occurring again later, so there is zero chance I will attempt to find out if she still does it.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pit bulls are very nice dogs if the owners train em right. But I once had to tackle a pit bull that was running loose while two boys were shooting hoops at the park; their dog saw my border collie and ran so fast to attack us...but I saw it coming and decided to "out Alpha" the pit bull. That dog didn't have a collar and the hair is short so I couldn't hold onto him by his neck, but I jumped him and held him down while I yelled for the boys to come get their dog. I don't have any fear of dogs and have trained a few on my own, so maybe that's why I had the upper hand in the situation. With that dog's owner not on the scene to intervene, you had more of a challenge than I had. Maybe start walking with a strong stick, pepper spray or even a whistle to startle any animal that might attack you while you're walking. You need to be able to feel safe and secure in your own neighborhood on your walks. Glad your dog is doing well...take care.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Pit bulls are unpredictable at best. They are banned in many areas and in some areas a person would have to muzzle the pit bull to be in public.

Two very loving and well behaved pit bulls maned Bud and Butterfly escaped a fenced yard because of the some one leaving the gate open. These two dogs saw a small lap dog owned by a neighbor in a wheelchair. The dogs mauled Walter Fester to death as well as the lap dog. He was in his seventies and couldn't fight back. His neighbor could only watch because the dogs wouldn't let anyone near Walter without attacking.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the breed was banned in the USA.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
About us ::
DogsBite.org is a public education website about dangerous dogs -- specifically pit bull type dogs.1 The "pit bull problem" is over 20 years old.

We advocate:
Pit bull ban
A breed ban is the most proactive policy that can be undertaken regarding the pit bull problem. A ban saves the most human lives by preventing attacks before they occur. By criminalizing pit bull breeding, a ban saves countless pit bulls from systematic euthanization and dramatically reduces the number used for dogfighting.

I agree. Good post.

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
Muffin is home!!

Muffin is home!!

The incident has been reported to Animal Control and the dog owner has accepted responsibility.

The attached photo was her professional debut last year...no I normally do not dress her but she does make a cute vampire.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Pup Vampire smaller.jpg
    Pup Vampire smaller.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 66

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe the pit would have thought twice had Muffin been dressed like that. :D Glad she's good!

Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the great news. Muffin is very cute, and I'm glad she is home and doing well.

Steve

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great news!!!! I'm sure Muffin is getting lots of love!!

OK. someone explain to me why this would be worse if it was a child? Aren't they all (animals and kids) precious to us?

Steve

Reaction score
Let's not go there

OK. someone explain to me why this would be worse if it was a child? Aren't they all (animals and kids) precious to us?

I am a huge dog lover, but let's not go down this road. We've been down it before, and it gets ugly. This thread is about Malibu Sky and Muffin. Let's not turn it into a place to bash each other about dogs, kids, people in general, animals in general, whose priorities/values are right and whose are wrong, etc.

Steve

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
[NWL - if you have a question, concern, or complaint about the way a Moderator handles something, please email them privately, or send a pm to TUGBrian.-DeniseM Moderator]

From the TUG posting rules posted at the top of the page:

In addition, do not enter complaints about moderation into BBS messages. Such posts will be considered off-topic and will be removed. Any such complaints or discussion should be communicated to the bbs staff directly via email or personal message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My children get first dibs everyday.

Steve

Reaction score
My children get first dibs everyday.

Let's not go here. If anyone would like to comment on...or convey wishes to...Malibu Sky and Muffin, that would be great. On the other hand, I think I made it clear in my earlier post that this thread is not going to go down the road of "kids vs. pets". If it does, it will closed. Please respect this.

Steve
TUG Moderator

Nanoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my heart just sank when I read the title of this post.

I'm so glad your pup and yourself will be okay. My husband and I take our westies for walks every night and I always fear running into a stray dog. My husband carries a citronella spray that is suppose to startle something long enough to get away? Hope we never find out.

We also thought of carrying a stick or golf club, but it sounds like you didn't have any time to react really.

I hope Muffin continues to recover and you both aren't to traumitized by the ordeal . . .