• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC in NYC.....Next Month! [The Strand Hotel]

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I didn't mean to say that it was only mud weeks - just the older resorts that were mostly sold out as weeks. The point system is good but I won't be electing points for a trip to NY and giving up my week so it won't be available to other owners. Most of the complaining I've seen are by owners who don't know how to use the system and don't make reservations soon enough. They were led to believe that points were like currency and they could reserve anytime they wanted to go anywhere they wanted.

Bottom line, there just aren't enough prime weeks available for all the people who want them. Perhaps if they can't book a week in Maui, they'll be happy with 2 weekends in NY, but I doubt it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I do think that the sell that you can book prime time by buying points could lead to some problems. I am sure that there are a lot of lesser legacy owners that added on points in order to be able to reserve higher seasons. The main problem is that many of the prime times are owned by legacy owners.

About half of the trust is made up of Platinum or higher weeks. Though one issue is that over half of those are actually Hawaii or Las Vegas properties where the entire year is platinum. The number of platinum weeks outside of Hawaii and Las Vegas is only about 25% of the trust.

Reaction score
This option excites me, largely because it's another *option*.

Last year we managed a week at Hilton Head, and then did shorter urban trips to NYC (at Fairfield Inn not far from the Strand) and then in Boston at the Marriott Long Wharf (couldn't get into Custom House). Next up, we're booked into the Mayflower in DC.

We are points owners, and at times I have worried that our options can be limited. With work pressures, I have also been concerned at times that we won't be able to use our points. By introducing these kinds of urban destinations, it allows those of us on the eastern seaboard to fit in some shorter getaways.

No, it's not the same as lounging by the pool in Florida and sipping boat drinks, but it's definitely something our family will take advantage of. This is actually a plus for us.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Does anyone know, if you have a cancellation and then those points can only be used within 60 days of travel, if those are disqualified for the under 59 day reservation discount that we get as Chairmans Level? I would think that no discount could be applied to them.

No, holding account points definitely DO qualify for the 30% discount available to Chairman's/Presidents level elites. I just did that very thing in Hilton Head last month and this month.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still not on web site

One of these weeks, the NYC location will show up at the web site. I just checked and it is not there yet. They are saying March occupancy, so hopefully not too much longer. What are people's estimates on how many DPs it will take for a 1 BR unit in a lower demand portion of the year? Fingers crossed that after my 59 day or less discount, it is listed at a competitive level to use a lot.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
One of these weeks, the NYC location will show up at the web site. I just checked and it is not there yet. They are saying March occupancy, so hopefully not too much longer. What are people's estimates on how many DPs it will take for a 1 BR unit in a lower demand portion of the year? Fingers crossed that after my 59 day or less discount, it is listed at a competitive level to use a lot.

Since these are just guest rooms, (I don't think they have anything that we would call a 1BR) but knowing how long MVC has been trying to get into NYC so they obviously value it highly, I'll take a guess a weekend night will range between 500 to 800 per night depending on time of year with some dates having crazy high point needs much higher than that (New Year as an example).

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I agree with Fasttr, and think a week day will be 500-600 points and weekend will be 800-900 points.

That would have a week at 4,250, or $42,500 and a 52 week unit would be $2.2M. We will see how close we are.

Best,

Greg

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the chart for the Marriott Vacation Club at The Mayflower in Washington, D.C. provides a good clue about what to expect in New York City — except that the rooms in NYC will be smaller, and the hotel will lack some of the features of a large traditional grand hotel like the Mayflower.

2016 Chart for MVC at The Mayflower: https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/pdfs/points_charts/Mayflower_2016PointsChart.pdf

The Strand NYC does not have suites, so ignore the last two columns. The Strand NYC has several categories of guest rooms. Basic guest rooms are just 200 sq. ft. Executive rooms are 320 sq. ft. The Premier rooms seem to be 350 sq. ft. In other words, the standard rooms are tiny. The best rooms are about the size of an average room at a suburban Courtyard by Marriott.

Fact Sheet for The Strand: http://www.thestrandnyc.com/d/main/media/PDFs/Strand_Hotel_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
My guess is that the chart for the Marriott Vacation Club at The Mayflower in Washington, D.C. provides a good clue about what to expect in New York City — except that the rooms in NYC will be smaller, and the hotel will lack some of the features of a large traditional grand hotel like the Mayflower.

2016 Chart for MVC at The Mayflower: https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/pdfs/points_charts/Mayflower_2016PointsChart.pdf

The Strand NYC does not have suites, so ignore the last two columns. The Strand NYC has several categories of guest rooms. Basic guest rooms are just 200 sq. ft. Executive rooms are 320 sq. ft. The Premier rooms seem to be 350 sq. ft. In other words, the standard rooms are tiny. The best rooms are about the size of an average room at a suburban Courtyard by Marriott.

Fact Sheet for The Strand: http://www.thestrandnyc.com/d/main/media/PDFs/Strand_Hotel_Fact_Sheet.pdf

I agree that the Mayflower chart could be a good indicator of per night costs but there will be some changes in demand. For example, there's no way that most of December will be low-season at The Strand - Thanksgiving through New Years in NYC is high-demand for any lodging.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Mayflower chart could be a good indicator of per night costs but there will be some changes in demand. For example, there's no way that most of December will be low-season at The Strand - Thanksgiving through New Years in NYC is high-demand for any lodging.
Yes, the seasons are likely to be quite different.

I hope I'm right that the typical per-night point costs for NYC will be in the same ballpark as the Mayflower. If so, I'm looking forward to staying there, despite the small rooms. But if the point costs are as high as some here are guessing, count me out.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Yes, the seasons are likely to be quite different.

I hope I'm right that the typical per-night point costs for NYC will be in the same ballpark as the Mayflower. If so, I'm looking forward to staying there, despite the small rooms. But if the point costs are as high as some here are guessing, count me out.

That makes two of us. :)

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another difference in seasons -if I read the chart right, Mayflower appears to have blacked out Jul 1 - 7 from points users, and I can't see why The Strand would -- people flock to DC for the 4th of July, but it's not such a big deal in NYC (I hope - I'd like to use the Strand part of that week!)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Another difference in seasons -if I read the chart right, Mayflower appears to have blacked out Jul 1 - 7 from points users, and I can't see why The Strand would -- people flock to DC for the 4th of July, but it's not such a big deal in NYC (I hope - I'd like to use the Strand part of that week!)

It isn't blacked out, points for those dates are on page 2.