• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Club Points for Resort Credit Question

Murman23370

Reaction score
Hello, posting here to see if anyone knows before trying to call MVC & wait on hold to ask.

We have MVC club points for 2023 year that will expire end of December. Next year (2024) we are visiting a resort that participates in the club points for resort credit offer.

Are we able to “buy” resort credit with our 2023 club points for use/activation at resort reservation in 2024? Or would the resort credit we “buy” also expire Dec 2023? Thank you

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My understanding is your stay must begin in 2023 to use 2023 points for resort credit.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
I was told by owner services on Vistana side that I could use my restricted staroptions expiring 2023 for resort credit for a 2024 reservation. The reservation had to be booked already. Since we are all now Abound wouldn’t that apply to Marriott?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they are talking about "banking" your points into the next calendar year for use in 2024 year......

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told by owner services on Vistana side that I could use my restricted staroptions expiring 2023 for resort credit for a 2024 reservation. The reservation had to be booked already. Since we are all now Abound wouldn’t that apply to Marriott?
In September I was told by a MVC CSR that in order to use my previously banked points which expire 12/31/23 for a Resort Credit, the credit had to be attached to a reservation that started 12/31/23 or earlier.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They might have changed the rule. MVC and Vistana used to allow expiring points/options apply to reservations beyond the expiration date.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
They might have changed the rule. MVC and Vistana used to allow expiring points/options apply to reservations beyond the expiration date.
For as long as I can remember resort credits needed to be used for a reservationthat started before the points expiration date. It was certainly the case last fall.
There were a few things that could happen after- I am remembering insurance, maybe golf, maybe car rental- nothing I ever wanted so I’m not really sure which they were.

I would get on chat and ask for list of what you can do with you specific type of points including the date they need to be used by. Then you have it in writing. The agent using using cut and paste to copy in the specifics from their reference material. Chat and the answers in writing are excellent.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember resort credits needed to be used for a revelation that started before the points expiration date.
There were a few things that could happen after- I am remembering insurance, maybe golf, maybe car rental- nothing I ever wanted so I’m not really sure which they were.

I would get on chat and ask for list of what you can do with you specific type of points including the date they need to be used by. Then you have it in writing. The agent using using cut and paste to copy in the specifics from their reference material. Chat and the answers in writing are excellent.
I had attached 90,000 banked SOs ($1,210) that expired that year end for a future reservation in February of the following year at Desert Willow. When we got there, nothing was open to use the credits, as it was towards the end of COVID lockdown. The concierge spoke with owner services and returned those points to me with unrestricted SOs that did not expire for another 2 years. I lucked out.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had attached 90,000 banked SOs ($1,210) that expired that year end for a future reservation in February of the following year at Desert Willow. When we got there, nothing was open to use the credits, as it was towards the end of COVID lockdown. The concierge spoke with owner services and returned those points to me with unrestricted SOs that did not expire for another 2 years. I lucked out.
I believe SO is a Vistana thing? And this was before Abound? And perhaps there was leniency during covid.

Not doubting you account, just saying I don’t believe your experience will apply to the OP with MVC/Abound in 2023.

My experience last fall and several years before that was the same as what ljmiii was told last month.

edit- found this chat transcript 8/10/23-
I believe this is in regards to unrestricted points- I cancelled and rebooked a trip that required less points and so had some left over.

To avoid losing your Club Points, you may select one or more of the following options, which can be purchased using points up to the day before they expire.

-Golf Certificates
-Marriott Golf Academy Certificates
-Travelex Travel Insurance
-Resort Credit (only if the check-in date is before the expiration date of the points)
-Airline Miles
-External Exchange Credit

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, posting here to see if anyone knows before trying to call MVC & wait on hold to ask.

We have MVC club points for 2023 year that will expire end of December. Next year (2024) we are visiting a resort that participates in the club points for resort credit offer.

Are we able to “buy” resort credit with our 2023 club points for use/activation at resort reservation in 2024? Or would the resort credit we “buy” also expire Dec 2023? Thank you
Don’t call- chat! Faster, easier and you have it in writing! You can save a transcript for future reference.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe SO is a Vistana thing? And this was before Abound? And perhaps there was leniency during covid.

Not doubting you account, just saying I don’t believe your experience will apply to the OP with MVC/Abound in 2023.

My experience last fall and several years before that was the same as what ljmiii was told last month.
I also did a couple of times using Destination Club points but they were small amounts several years ago before COVID, where I had used expiring restricted/holding DC points for resort credit at Desert Springs the following year.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also did a couple of times using Destination Club points but they were small amounts several years ago before COVID, where I had used expiring restricted/holding DC points for resort credit at Desert Springs the following year.
Suffice it to say I do not think this will be OP’s experience with Abound points expiring this year.
Hopefully he chats and gets his answers.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I have recently used Resort credits, the Ts & Cs made it clear that points had to be used during the current use year.
Clearly though if your points are bankable, you can bank them then use them in the following year.

IMG_3004.jpeg

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

To the OP. Welcome to the TUG website. Where Knowledge is Power by Bacon.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
When I have recently used Resort credits, the Ts & Cs made it clear that points had to be used during the current use year.
Clearly though if your points are bankable, you can bank them then use them in the following year.

View attachment 82864

The Vistana T & Cs for resort credit are different. I’ve applied expiring restricted StarOptions (that can’t be banked) to a next year reservation multiple times. This is sweet because otherwise the points would have expired worthless. Here are the relevant terms:

ELIGIBILITY

Participants must be VSN members with sufficient available StarOptions to reserve a Resort Credit. Vacation Ownership Interests (“VOIs”) purchased through an unauthorized resale agent or HOA resale offer, or VOIs not enrolled in the VSN, are not eligible for this offer.
Only eligible VOIs with Use Rights in the year of or the year after the Resort Credit transaction date are eligible. Multiple eligible VOIs may be combined and applied toward a Resort Credit booking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for options for some staroptions that will be harder to use before they expire. Is it possible to use staroptions for a resort credit at a Marriott timeshare? I have now looked at both the Vistana website and the MVCI website and it appears that the only resorts listed as participating in resort credits belong to their respective group (i.e., Vistana to Vistana and Marriott to Marriott). Is it then correct that one cannot use staroptions for a Marriott timeshare resort credit?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking for options for some staroptions that will be harder to use before they expire. Is it possible to use staroptions for a resort credit at a Marriott timeshare? I have now looked at both the Vistana website and the MVCI website and it appears that the only resorts listed as participating in resort credits belong to their respective group (i.e., Vistana to Vistana and Marriott to Marriott). Is it then correct that one cannot use staroptions for a Marriott timeshare resort credit?
As I understand, StarOptions can only be used for resort credits at Vistana resorts. I don't know about Club Points. It was that those could only be used at the participating MVC properties. That may have changed, but not sure. Your best option will be to call Vistana owner services to find out your usage options. Here is a chart we put together last year that may show some of your options.

Attachments

• VSNStarOptionUsage.pdf
    525.3 KB · Views: 4

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I called Vistana and they confirmed that you can only use Staroptions for Vistana/Westin/Sheraton resort credits and Marriott Abound points for Marriott resort credits.